Home
Daughter and a friend are traveling back from Denver this weekend and one of their planned layovers is Louisville, anyone local that could give me some first hand info on where they should be looking for a hotel I would greatly appreciate it.
Honestly, somewhere other than Louisville.
Have her check out The Galt House. It is a pretty upscale hotel right on the Ohio River. It has a pretty secure parking deck underneath the hotel. Have her get a room wit a view of the river.
Posted By: johna1 Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/12/23
I'm really not a fan of louie ville.

Stupid road layouts. Lots of idiots. Lots of drugs and crime. FWIW, it's the 2nd highest per capita murder in the state. Violent crimes including robberies, is probably the #1 place to avoid.
Posted By: johna1 Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/12/23
Found these 2023 stats:

Population: 678,236
Violent Crimes Per 100k: 981 (Most dangerous)
Property Crimes Per 100k: 3,309 (Ninth most dangerous)
Murders: 192
More on Louisville: Data | Cost Of Living

Louisville is not only the most populous in Kentucky, it is also number 1 in the state for violent crime. Whether you call this city home or are just stopping by, it is a good idea to have one of the area’s legendary Louisville Slugger baseball bats handy.
Ezoic

That accomplishment is probably not one you will see touted alongside Louisville’s other claims to fame, like hosting the Kentucky Derby, being the birthplace of Muhammad Ali, and more. But with 4,952 aggravated assaults, 1,276 robberies, 235 rapes, and 192 murders, it makes sense that the rank distinction goes to this city.
I had a friend who worked in Louisville. He lived in New Albany, Indiana.
Generally avoid the west side of Louisville and the southern areas. If she is wanting a simple bed for a night, something like a Hampton Inn on the east side of Louisville near the I-265 bypass would be a pretty safe bet. If she is wanting to do a little looking around, something like the Hyatt Regency downtown would be a good bet. The downtown shopping / eating area is mostly concentrated around 4th Street. It is generally safe during the day, and is walkable.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/12/23
I'm assuming they want to stay downtown but....

I would consider the Mall St. Matthews area on Sherrodsville Rd. - hotels and restaurants are everywhere there and a short drive to downtown

about 3 miles from downtown
My oldest son's Best Friend (from High School) lives in Louisville. Super great guy... honestly one of the kindest/most humble people you would ever meet.

He also holds a few world records in weight lifting (for his weight class)...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He might could be a Tour Guide?
I would think that the areas east of town, in the Bluegrass region, would be ok.
Originally Posted by johna1
I'm really not a fan of louie ville.

Stupid road layouts. Lots of idiots. Lots of drugs and crime. FWIW, it's the 2nd highest per capita murder in the state. Violent crimes including robberies, is probably the #1 place to avoid.

Never Trust White People.
I would suggest that they drive another 30 minutes east and stay in a hotel in Shelbyville. There's quite a few to choose from.
Omni Hotel for the win.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/12/23
Jeffersonville.
Originally Posted by EIB0879
I had a friend who worked in Louisville. He lived in New Albany, Indiana.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Jeffersonville.

Crime is getting much worse on "the sunny side of Louisville" these days. I grew up and went to school, in New Albany, and then worked in Jeff for years. Neither place are garden spots these days, in fact, they are as bad as Louisville now, the close proximity to Louisville is the problem.

If I were passing thru Louisville and needed a place to stay, I'd pick one of the big chain motels off Blankenbaker Parkway, over in the eastern side of the city. My sister lives over there and they don't have any issues they've told me about. Nice neighborhoods nearby, unlike the west side or the south side, which are pestholes turning into Juarez. I don't like Louisville and avoid it every chance I get, and I lived there for 25 years. Stay away from downtown uniless it's high daylight, it's just not a nice place these days.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/12/23
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I would suggest that they drive another 30 minutes east and stay in a hotel in Shelbyville. There's quite a few to choose from.
There is your answer.
I stayed overnight 30 miles south of Lousyville a few weeks ago. No problems, but I didn't go wandering around looking for mischief to get into. Eat, sleep, and keep on truckin'!
Try the UPS compound at the airport...
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/12/23
Originally Posted by CashisKing
My oldest son's Best Friend (from High School) lives in Louisville. Super great guy... honestly one of the kindest/most humble people you would ever meet.

He also holds a few world records in weight lifting (for his weight class)...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He might could be a Tour Guide?
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Both of these would be my pick. Stay East and tour with the big guy.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/12/23
I spent a few nights in Louisville back in the 70’s while stationed at Ft Knox. It was getting bad then. I’m sure it’s as bad as they say.
Keep driving for about 30 miles before you stop for the night.
Sheperdsville Tru or Home2suites.
There is a Drury Inn on Brownsboro road at The Paddock shopping area that’s a good area. It’s the upper end of town with lots of shopping, restaurants, a Cabelas, etc. Never felt unsafe there.

The Galt House is getting dated but it can have a good view and has the downtown experience. Downtown can be sketchy like others have said.

I live about 30 minutes east of there if they need anything.
Posted By: KYFRED Re: Safe area of Louisville, KY - 12/13/23
I’m in Louisville all the time for work and always stay of brownsboro rd near Norton commons. Avoid downtown and anything near campus. Brownsboro is easy exit and totally safe with walking to good restaurants and 2 miles from 71 north. Actually gonna be there tomorrow.
Anywhere there is a Drury Inn is a good area.

Also, if you have any of the major hotel apps. on your phone, check them all out, usually the higher the nightly rate, the better the area is, but not always….
Really appreciate all the good info.
I’m passing on the suggestions.
Another vote for "Go east". Minimum Mall at St. Mathews / I-265...
© 24hourcampfire