Home
A slice of old Trigger?? This man in Florida was arrested for selling horse meat:

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-ne...-of-suspected-horse-meat-affidavit-says/

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A Florida man was arrested for the illegal sale of 40 pounds of slaughtered horse meat, according to the Miami-Dade Police Department.

On Dec. 11, detectives were tipped off about a horse that was killed for the harvest and sale of the meat.

An arrest affidavit said an operation was launched on Dec. 13 to purchase the 40 pounds of horse meat for $500 from the suspect, identified as 39-year-old Alain Arencibia-Diaz of Miami.

Around 3:50 p.m. that afternoon, Arencibia-Diaz arrived at an agreed-upon location, a Home Depot parking lot on Okeechobee Road.

The suspect handed the informant a black plastic bag containing the suspected horse meat, according to the affidavit.

Arencibia-Diaz was arrested without incident, charged, and taken to the local correctional center.

The arrest affidavit said the suspect horse meat was taken to an investigator with the U.S. Department of Agriculture for testing and identification.

The investigation is ongoing.

How long has horse meat been off the market in America? There sure are a lot of horses out west that could be run through the slaughter house:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I ate it several times while in Belgium several years ago. Wasn't that bad.
For a short time it was available in grocery stores in the U.S., late 60s I think. My mom bought some and served it, I don't remember noticing any difference between it and beef.
I remember there was an All In The Family episode about Edith serving it to Archie, as I recall he didn't notice the difference either.
I ordered a steak in a Sicilian restaurant one time. I know damned good and well they served me horse, and I refused to accept it. Pissed off the restaurant owner, but too bad. He shouldn't have tried to deceive me.
Pretty good meat .
We had a market in Connecticut that sold it during the 70s. At the same time I worked for International Harvester and a truck with horses was in for repair. I don't know if they slaughtered them first but the load was bound for France. This was 1979 or 80.
Probably every person over 60 who ate school lunch has had horse multiple times.
most of us have prolly eatin' horsemeat... whether we know it or Not!... Bleeve' it's startin' ta turn on me... lol
I would eat it with no problem at all... if I could go shoot one and eat it, even better... stupid it is illegal
Originally Posted by Sako
I would eat it with no problem at all... if I could go shoot one and eat it, even better... stupid it is illegal

Bo Derek hates you!
I’ve heard ass is more tender
I recall seeing a photo from WW2. In France after a bombing. A horse had been killed and people were out in the street cutting pieces of meat off of the horse to eat.

They weren't properly butchering it. Everybody was just cutting chunks off of it to take home and put in the stew pot.
They say donkey is the best.

The only reason horse is illegal in the US are the bleeding hearts. I seem to recall having it once and the impressions was that it is finer-grained than beef but just as tasty. I'd certainly have it again.
I ate when I was a kid living in Montana.
I remember cleaning my plate. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Horse and Moose are about the same texture and flavor when prepared equally. Rio7
I would give it a go.
Ate it in Japan.

They put it on Sushi.
I expect Disney, My Friend Flicka, Trigger, and similar ilk contributed to the ban.
Blue,please. Hint............

A colt got a broken leg when we were working the horse herd in our corrals when

I was about high school age. I suggested we take a rear quarter for eating.

It was fine. But most people cannot get it past the brain.
I could eat a horse.
Originally Posted by Sako
laugh laugh laugh

I'd try it any time.. It should be legal to sell in the USofA..

I remember when a certain horse won the Kentucky Derby... As a joke I told the local restaurant owner (whom I've known for about 40+ years) that he should sell 'horse-burgers'... In the description in the menu, it should read: "it's so good, you'll be telling your server, "I'll Have Another"!

Also suggested a new entree, "The Belmont Steak"..

Dammit - he wouldn't do it.. laugh laugh
I hate horses. So I wouldn't knowingly eat it.

Wouldn't have any problem whacking herds of wild horses with a rifle, though. Or being a knocker at a glue factory.
I wish I could shoot a few in E. OR w/o going to the Fed Hotel. Fill the freezer with dog food. There are a bunch of traditional sausage recipes that call for horse meat as well.
Yep, in France. It was stringy and horrible.
Ain’t no such thing as a wild horse in the U.S.

Feral ain’t the same as wild.

P
".....I slaughtered this horse last tueday; I think she's beginning to turn...."
I might have without knowing it
There's several times when people have
tried to slip something to me and gross
me out
Had some nice bear bbq
Coworker tried the mountain oyster joke
and got mildly po'ed that I was taking
more because he wanted to fool others
Had bbq coon
Oysters Rockefeller
Lots of squirrels
Many unintentional pigeons
Turtle etouffee

I've managed to avoid intentional possum
so far. Seen too many gut feasts by them.
If things get bad enough, I'll be soliciting
recipes
I don’t like horses. I’m shoot them before I shot a coyote.

Bet it makes a fine jerky.
It powers Iditarod teams.
Had brased horse in Italy. Delicious. Would happily eat it again.
I would try eating horse...bring it on!
A horse is an animal like any other. Nothing wrong at all with horse meat.
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I hate horses. So I wouldn't knowingly eat it.

Wouldn't have any problem whacking herds of wild horses with a rifle, though. Or being a knocker at a glue factory.

I almost hit one with a firetruck one time, believe it was Arizona. Heading down the highway and a oncoming UPS truck was flashing his lights at me and the bastards were in the middle of the road. waiting for me. They didn't like the siren.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

The only reason horse is illegal in the US are the bleeding hearts. I seem to recall having it once and the impressions was that it is finer-grained than beef but just as tasty. I'd certainly have it again.

Eaten donkey in China. Was okay. Better than the chestnuts they cooked it with.
I've heard of it, but I've never had the opportunity being that I'm only middle aged. On the same note...I'd also like to try whale, seal and sea turtles seeing as how lots of other cultures enjoy them, but AmeriKa, INC won't allow it. Wouldn't mind taking a ride on Absynthe for the novelty either.
Weh-eh-eh-ell Wilbur... i find this thread Apah-ah-ah-auling!...
Originally Posted by Alan_C
I’ve heard ass is more tender
Horses asses are common around here.
I've eaten it.

Pretty stupid that it's even a issue.

Is there a logical valid reason not to market it, or is it just due to some thinking they are too purty to butcher and eat?
Originally Posted by ironbender
It powers Iditarod teams.

I use to buy it at a local Greyhound race track for my dogs.
I would
I'd eat it........

I'd wager that many of the folks here that have been on Safari have eaten Zebra........ delicacy in some parts, so I am told. Can't see much difference.
Have I eaten horse meat?

Naaaay.
Originally Posted by Muffin
I'd eat it........

I'd wager that many of the folks here that have been on Safari have eaten Zebra........ delicacy in some parts, so I am told. Can't see much difference.

Don't start that evolution crap, or you'll have a dozen cuckstrailians derail the thread.
There are Hundreds of the worthless feral nags on the Red Desert in Wyoming that compete with the Elk Deer and Antelope for food and water, kill all the invasive bastards. Dogs need Alpo.
The horse that I have eaten was better than some of the Deer & Elk that some people think is good.

Don`t even get me started on Antelope. Maybe it was who took care of it in the field.
Yep, had it in Germany.
Originally Posted by 19352012
Probably every person over 60 who ate school lunch has had horse multiple times.

Yep! Our HS got caught serving it once - was actually one of the better dishes those old ladies cold make.
I took a girlfriend of mine to a burger restaurant in Paris. I thought we’d have a familiar meal during our travels but after sitting down I realized that it was horse meat burgers. I wasn’t interested in eating horse that evening so when I found the beef burgers were cheaper than the horse meat I was extra pleased.

I would have no problem eating it if I had to but I wasn’t paying the equivalent of $30-$40 in the early 90’s for a horse burger when a $20 beef burger was what I wanted. I could enjoy horse before goat or rattlesnake but I don’t want to be in the position of having to eat survival food in the first place. 😉
Maybe, if I was hungry enough. First Sergeant Good, German POW told us the Germans offered either bomb killed meat or housemate, and said we always took the horse meat, but it was likely bombed too.
Is eating horse illegal or is it the conditions for the slaughter? Selling meat requires a proper facility and it most certainly requires a USDA inspection. There is no certified horse slaughterhouse in the US any more so there's no way to kill one and get it past an inspection.
I'd eat it........

I've eaten it. Forgot about it, so... Certainly wasn't eland.
I'm convinced those 'steaks' they served us on Surf n Turf night in the mess halls in ROK were cut from horses. Way too lean for beef and a bit of an off taste.
Only if I was starving. Same with dog or cat.
Horse roast used to be my mother’s favorite sandwich meat. Even in the old country is going out of favor. Shame, it’s the best possible use for 90% of horses…..
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Is eating horse illegal or is it the conditions for the slaughter? Selling meat requires a proper facility and it most certainly requires a USDA inspection. There is no certified horse slaughterhouse in the US any more so there's no way to kill one and get it past an inspection.

Anyone know if you can slaughter for your own use?
with Fava beans And a nice Chianti ?...
Had it in Quebec once, wasn't anything special. Not good, not bad. I ran rodeo for years, bunch of them I'd have been proud to eat. Wife had a barrel horse that I offered to shoot and BBQ many, many times.....
Did when I was a kid.
Yes I've eaten it. Donkey sauage I got from Europe was delicious. The horse meat I had was from an old nag and was not the best. It's quite lean and red in texture and I'm not certain the best method to prepare it but I much prefer wild game or beef to horse. Still I see no reason not to eat it or use it for cat and dog food.

The only thing holding back using horse for a meat product are stupid eco animal rights wack jobs. Those type of people want to castrate and cut the breasts off your children and turn them into freaks but want to save the life of every mangy animal.
I'd eat it........

Yup, I had zebra on an African safari. It was excellent.
I've never eaten horse. I've had zebra, and it was delicious. I can't imagine horse is a lot different. I'd eat horse meat without hesitation.
I have eaten horse in Europe and zebra in Africa. Meat has kind of a sweet taste to it.
Had Zebra flank in Botswana, was pretty tasty right off the grill.
Had it in the late 60s when I worked at a local zoo.
As I remember it was quite good.
No reason not to eat again
ive eaten horse and donkey in china, along with quite a few other weird things.
Had Zebra in SA. It was excellent. Can’t imagine horse would be much different.
It would be a great solution to the problem of feral horses in the west. I’d buy a tag.
My paternal grandparent were from the old country. France to be exact and every once in a while they'd get a package from France. Usually had three or four logs of salami. My grandparent said it made from horse meat. Dunno if they were kidding but it was damn good salami. I haven't tasted any that is/was as good as what they got from home.

I've always held the idea that if they really wanted to save the feral/wild horses they should make them a game animal. I was living in Nevada when all the fuss came about with the kids and those old ladies in tennis shoes when on their save the horses BS. I do believe that if Wild Horse Annie had come to Winnemucca and stopped for gas that there was a possibility of a good old fashioned lynching. There was that much hatred for her.

Frankly, I wouldn't have any problem eating horse meat. I heard somewhere that the onus of horse meat was because horse perspire. Dunno if there's any truth to that but I remember hearing about it many years ago.
PJ
Back in the 70's I had horse meat in Belgium.
Originally Posted by tater74

Pretty sure you can.

I believe the issue is the feds quit funding slaughter / processing inspection for horses. Which means, you cannot sell meat that hasn't been inspected. I know a local ranch roasted a yearling colt that broke a leg to feed the branding crew a year ago or so.

Think it would be legal in that instance or for personal consumption.
I havent.

Have buddies that work in oilfields in middle east… no pork..

Say they get boxes marked “meat”
I have never had horse meat but would not hesitate to try it.

I had Zebra when in Africa. It was excellent. Right up there with Eland, and Hartebeest.
I’ve eaten it many times in Italy. Horse meat carpaccio and bresaola are quite popular, as well as steaks, stews, etc. They even have horse meat butcher shops.
While I haven't eaten it, it's only because I haven't had the opportunity to.

I see no difference between a horse and cow as far as consumption goes.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Pretty sure you can.

I believe the issue is the feds quit funding slaughter / processing inspection for horses. Which means, you cannot sell meat that hasn't been inspected. I know a local ranch roasted a yearling colt that broke a leg to feed the branding crew a year ago or so.

Think it would be legal in that instance or for personal consumption.

The states that have made horse slaughter illegal are California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, and Texas. Additionally, in Arizona, a license is required to slaughter horses. In all other states, it is not illegal to slaughter horses.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/horse-slaughter-legal-states

Depends on the state. Some state allow it, some ban it. Plus, there are animal cruelty laws to deal with. You can shoot a steer in the head but some states prohibit that with horses.
My Grandparents were from Belgium they came here in 1930....they owned a farm here in Michigan....I remember in the 50's-60's them butchering horses for the freezer....after my Grandfather passed away in the late 60's the farm was sold haven't had horse meat since then....
What I remember is it was dryer type meat if barbecued not very much fat.....roasts were about the same.....
Horse....I'm not sure

Zebra....yep and it was fantastic
Well, I've had "mountain oysters", tasty if you don't know the difference !!
When I was a little kid there was a place downtown call Jet Burgers. Shut down after a few years for using horse meat. Tasted good and was cheap.

Some years ago, on Utah, I went to a restaurant that was known for having "great" steaks. Good beef was hard to come by there; I was accustomed to feed lot finished beef having come from the Chicago area. The place advertised that it raised the cattle on the same land as the restaurant. The steak was, to my taste, a little "off "looked out at the land from the dining room table and saw only horses, no cattle. Hmm.
I ate a horsemeat sandwich once and got sick...

But I think it was the tainted mayo-neighs.
Does zebra count? i have eaten a bunch of that chicken fried in Namibia.
Originally Posted by catosilvaje
Does zebra count?

ZEBRA meat is too confusing to eat, let alone 'count'...

It's white meat / dark meat / white meat /dark meat - every other bite.
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
My Grandparents were from Belgium they came here in 1930....they owned a farm here in Michigan....I remember in the 50's-60's them butchering horses for the freezer....after my Grandfather passed away in the late 60's the farm was sold haven't had horse meat since then....
What I remember is it was dryer type meat if barbecued not very much fat.....roasts were about the same.....

The only horse meat I've ever eaten was in a restaurant in an alleyway full of restaurants and shops just off of Grand Place (central square) in Brussels, Belgium. Didn't think it was bad.

When I worked for Northwest airlines, in the 90s we shipped lots of horse meat to France. Pretty much every flight most of the cargo was horse meat!
In the drought a few years back much of the horse flesh went south to Mexico. Drove prices on working horses up on this side. They like it there.
I had the meat balls at Ikea.

Bb
No and no. I grew up riding horses and working cattle. I will eat beef though.
Paul Bernard likes horse cock.
I can’t believe the stupidity and emotional immaturity of a nation that lets people go hungry while feeding feral horses?
We had huge horse steaks several time at Sul Ross. Back in the 70's that place was cool in many ways.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Spot on. We all know why it is illegal to slaughter horses for meat and why. Cowgirls. Horse women. Some of these sweet hearts will just kick your azz. Throw full bottles of beer at you. I'm telling you I know at least 6 women that keep horses and they shovel and move some hundreds of pounds of relatively fresh horse manure every day or at least every other day and it sucks to do that.Then they ride it around on a spredder after it dries some. Course they take that time to run the dogs and check out all horses. It's a pshycosis. They live for those horses not to mention hard riding women. All barrel racers. You rock that boat I am not touching it.
Had some on a charcuterie board in Italy. It had a very strong flavor close to beef, but different enough to notice. Not high on the list of things to eat again, but if I’m starving, I know it won’t kill me.

Old70
I went to boarding school in England in the late60's-mid 70's. I can still smell the sweet smell of the big pot of simmering horse meat wafting out of the kitchen. They used to say it was for the dogs but wound up as [bleep] on a shingle over fried toast. didnt kill me.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I can’t believe the stupidity and emotional immaturity of a nation that lets people go hungry while feeding feral horses?
+++
I would much rather eat Lassie than Trigger.

I ain't never had a dog pack my nappy ass off of a mountain in a raging storm with wind chill around 10 degrees. I could never eat a horse, too close to cannibalism for me.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I could never eat a horse, too close to cannibalism for me.
not even with Fava beans and good Chianti ?..
Today you will eat horseflesh.

[Linked Image from simsmarc.files.wordpress.com]
I really have no idea. Horse was common in Kazakhstan. Offshore on the Caspian we were served goulash on rice. No idea what the meat was. When I moved onshore (Atyrau) I found the local "grocery" store with a butcher counter and three walls of vodka. I wanted to make chili bringing the necessary spices from home. There I found multiple piles of ground meat labeled in Russian with employees that spoke zero English always wondering what meat I chose. That said, the chili was good.
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
When I was a little kid there was a place downtown call Jet Burgers. Shut down after a few years for using horse meat. Tasted good and was cheap.

Some years ago, on Utah, I went to a restaurant that was known for having "great" steaks. Good beef was hard to come by there; I was accustomed to feed lot finished beef having come from the Chicago area. The place advertised that it raised the cattle on the same land as the restaurant. The steak was, to my taste, a little "off "looked out at the land from the dining room table and saw only horses, no cattle. Hmm.

That’s Maddocks near Brigham City. Not a bad place for a steak. They’re not 5-star though. If you couldn’t find a good steak place, you weren’t looking very hard.
It is fairly common in Germany and Switzerland, especially in the smaller villages.
The French are horse eating maniacs. In fact they will pay to have live horses shipped to France where it is legal to slaughter and butcher them.
I had it when I was working in Algeria 20 years ago. Not sure I'd buy it today. I'm mainly a beef, chicken and venison person.
Having grown up on a cattle farm with working horses, I can't understand people's romanticizing about them. They are an animal. Nothing else. They have red meat like most any other 4 legged animal. Taste fine.
Do I want to eat a pet? no. Would I eat an animal raised as stock? Sure. That includes dogs and cats. I don't care. Meat is meat.

Of course, there's lots of hunters that won't eat wild game, so it figures there's hunters who won't eat horse too.
Had zebra in Africa. It was the best meal I had over 11 days. I’d eat a horse.
Guy I used to work with claims to have bought wild horses at auction every year or two and butchered them for personal use. Get a lot of meat for $20 to $30...
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Ain’t no such thing as a wild horse in the U.S.

Feral ain’t the same as wild.

P

I dunno man...

I've known some wild women, but I doubt they were feral. grin
My close friends family ran a horse slaughtering business.
They sent trucks all over the southwest and west to auctions, brought them back to Lynchburg VA where the slaughter house was.

His mom was full/100% Greek, at that time[70's early80's] you could slaughter it in the US but it had to be going out of the US for sale.
I don't think that you can even slaughter it here now?

He told me that the last couple of years they were in that business they were getting hammered by all sorts of fed/state agencies.

Most of theirs went to Greece.

We ate equine at their house regularly.
© 24hourcampfire