Home
My RCA did an outstanding job this year, I gave her a Christmas card + $20
[bleep] no... I don't tip anyone who does a job and gets paid for it - exc being restaurant workers. I especially don't tip the gov workers...
We do. He's a good guy. Mail carriers here work their asses off, a friend's son is one.
I just did. $25 gift card.
No. They get paid very well and usually to a terrible job round here
I always tip my letter carrier and the garbage men.
gave my delivery man a bottle of Courvoisier VSOP Cognac. He earned every drop. He also got 200 rounds of .22 shorts. His favorite plinking ammo on his farm. He is a fine man, a great human being, and a damn good friend.
I don’t tip anyone who is being paid for performing their jobs unless it’s a “service” industry such as a restaurant or bar. The mail people earn their pay and receive compensation. I don’t tip my auto mechanic either nor the local police. If I were to go to a Starbucks, I know they have tip jars too. Not gonna tip them for doing their job as it’s their choice to work there. It would be like tipping the McDonalds cashier, no thanks.
A plate of home made cookies
We usually give our guy a jar of homemade jam and a dozen homegrown eggs. He’s a good guy and does a good job for us.

Most of the rural carriers I’ve seen are good folks. They aren’t the enemy, but they work for them. 😎
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
He also got 200 rounds of .22 shorts.

In a box right? You didn't just let fly at him when he came up to your gate out of uniform?

I try to tip everyone.
Posted By: Sako Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/23/23
Tipping a mail carrier... that is some funny crap. Around here you are lucky to get your mail every 2-3 days it has gotten so bad.
I was an RCA for awhile, It is a hard job. I always appreciated any tips I received on the holidays.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/23/23
Mailman $20, Paper boy $20, trash pickup $50, recycle pickup $50, they all deserve it, good guys, work hard everyday,
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/23/23
We tip our mail lady. She's very good about bringing over sized packages to the house if they won't fit in the box, instead of leaving a notice that we have a large package waiting in town at the PO, and I appreciate that
i tried , the mailman said it was illegal

Believe it or not, tipping mail carriers is technically against the law. That's right: Federal regulations forbid postal workers from accepting cash and cash equivalents. They are permitted to accept gifts worth $20 or less, however..

source : google AI
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/23/23
Ours will bring packages up to the house if they don't fit in the box. Yes, I do.
I do. suggested driving rather than walking everywhere like a dumbass. I think he's deaf. good job for a deaf man.
I retired from Gov't service (FAA). We were strickly warned not to take any gifts, especially this time of year.
I should. Our mail lady goes above and beyond. Seems like on top of the mail USPS has the poor lady delivering more packages than UPS and FedEx. Some days she has two Jeep loads of packages to deliver.
You bet we do. Our Mailman, Harry is awesome. If he wasn't doing the job "above and beyond" we wouldn't. But he has both my and my wife's cell number and we both have his. If there is ever any issue or special need we can contact him directly, or vice versa. I bet not many USPS customers can say that. There's a difference between "meeting standards" at the USPS and doing every aspect of the job GREAT. And that's why Harry gets a generous tip at Christmas.

Cheers,
Rex
We had a great rural mailman for years and we kept him well supplied with produce, home-made jams and the like.

He found a better job and we ended up with his shiettazz alternate, a tatted up Uke who routinely delivers ours the neighbor's mail to the wrong mailboxes. The only tip I've given him was if he didn't stop cutting his wheels into the grass along my driveway, he could expect flat tires.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/23/23
I never did, and never will. None of my various mail carriers over the years ever stopped into my place of work and tipped me for doing my job.
I tip the FedEx driver a large bag of Fentanyl...

There is always a slight chance that the "next one"... won't be a dumb fugg.
We tip and leave little gifts randomly, not just at Christmas. That poor rural carrier lady works her ass off and then goes out on Sunday delivering crap for Amazon. The trash truck guys are out there in 100 degree hot sun scrambling to keep up. My son worked a trash truck for awhile. He said nobody ever tipped or gifted at all, they just bitched. This was in a locale that had steep icy roads and they spent a good part of each day chaining and unchaining, never able to keep up with boss man's ridiculous expectations.
Posted By: ARTY Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/23/23
We are on a first name basis with ours. She is great to us. $50.00 gift card, homemade coffee cake and a box of medium dog bones for pups on her route.
No carriers in this community. Rural folks have delivery, but not here in town. Have to visit the post office and empty our box. I swear those ladies can get 3 gallons of paint into a 2 gallon bucket. With a package notice one goes to the counter where they seem to know everyone and get updated on all of the community doings as well. I keep asking for the Win, Ruger, Weatherby boxes, but have not scored anything yet.
If the stupid purple haired fúck would get the mail put into the correct boxes, I’d possibly consider it.

Lazy fúcker.

So, that’s a big fat no from me.
Nope. The USPS in my area stinks. They practice diversity at the highest level I've ever seen.. In any corporation. They can't get my mail delivered from Broward County to Miami-Dade correctly, (or vice versa), let alone get any shipment to where it needs to go on time.. They absolutely suck, and they don't care.. One of my mailmen doesn't even speak English.
We give our trash pickup guy a Christmas gift (money) every year.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/24/23
Nope. I do tip well at our dancehall, give the DJ a Christmas present.
I do. $15 Wawa gift card.
Yes and no. At my business ...lucky to get mail ..no tip.

At home my mail carrier is very nice especially when she is delivering firearms.. Nice tip .
We do,
Our carrier does a great job and always has a great attitude. She is a gem!

Always greets with a smile and a friendly word.
retired letter carrier since 91 . i sure appreciated any tip at christmas . altho my route for 10 years was 90 + % student housing and tips were few . did get cookies from a retired prof. and the chancellor.
We don't "tip" but we do leave a Christmas gift in the mail box every year.
20% of my mail is never delivered. I try not to use usps and sure as hell ain't tipping for such crappy service.
Our rural mail carrier works above and beyond IMO. Each year we give a Christmas card with green in it. This year $50.00 as our package deliveries too large for mail box are always delivered to our door. This occurs at least once a week as we order on-line a lot.

Chris
This tipping everyone thing is somewhat nonplussing.
I'm never home when the mail shows up, not sure who the mailman is but they do a good job.

We get 5 gallon water jugs delivered to our house and I've never met those guys either but they get a tip in the summer time.
Originally Posted by jbmi
Mailman $20, Paper boy $20, trash pickup $50, recycle pickup $50, they all deserve it, good guys, work hard everyday,
Ain’t got one of that stuff here.
I get a lot of oversize packages, some of them heavy, machine shop raw materials and auto parts. They are always placed on the front porch, out of the weather. You bet he gets a tip, and a good one. This year, it was a large bag of good quality dark chocolate- - - -now, how that $100.00 gift card found its way in there is anybody's guess. He earns every penny, and then some! I'll be building a 4 X 4 foot weatherproof box on a forklift pallet with a hinged lid and a big rural mailbox on top of it soon, so he won't have to carry the big stuff to the porch. No problems with mail thieves or porch pirates in our neighborhood.
Originally Posted by smokepole
We do. He's a good guy. Mail carriers here work their asses off, a friend's son is one.
And if you’ve got the right one they will look out for you and your mail.
[Linked Image from static1.srcdn.com]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/24/23
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I guess its an American thing. The internet says we are way overboard with it and I agree...but its slowly changing, especially since Bidenomics put the crunch to most folks.
Posted By: richj Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/24/23
USPS and Priority driver
UPS
garbage guy
some times fedex
Posted By: EdM Re: Who tips their mail carrier? - 12/24/23
Originally Posted by JSTUART

It is when a server in Queensland is paid $20/hr + (when we lived there some years ago) and menu prices went up on holidays to cover the holiday factor (OT like...).
Redbud!...
My wife made her some cookies. She left a really nice thank you note yesterday.
My grandparents used to tip the mail man.

This jogs my mind and maybe I should give her a card. Thank you for 900 lbs of junk mail 🤙

I used to give our kids’ school bus driver a smoked country ham.
I did not.

Greasy Randy has a pretty bad case of the fuggits so I don't reward his lack of effort.
Change carriers as often as I change underwear! Hell no!!
I was a rural carrier and an RCA for 31 years. Got a lot of cookies and candy, but only a few tips, which was fine with me. There was no way I could eat all that stuff, especially after the Amish and Mennonites moved in and started giving me all that homemade food. Now, despite what some of you believe, they are not known for their cleanliness, and there was no way I was going to eat anything they made. I knew a couple of people in the community that didn't have a lot, and I would load them down with stuff for about a two week period. They appreciated it, and I guess didn't care where it came from.

On something of a side note, I did know a carrier at another post office who claimed that a certain gal on his mail route would give him something "special" at Christmas, as well as on a few other occasions throughout the year. He said the Christmas one was always the best.
Yup, a C note for a great guy who always goes the extra mile to look out for us. Merry Christmas!!
© 24hourcampfire