Home
Just discovered this series and love it . My favorite person is the guy that lives on Turtle Island. Basic skills that most people have lost. It sorta takes me back in time.
Yeah...sure thing sock.
No, where do you watch it?
It has been on the History Channel for years. Eustice Conway, the guy that owns Turtle Island, runs a summer camp for kids. It is a quality experience I’m told. The kids get exposed to a lot of different skills, and they get to put them to use. I have always enjoyed the show.
It’s on the history channel originally . I watch it on a Samsung tv that gets its stations from our internet cable service so I’m told. I’m not a tech guy. If you have not seen it, maybe someone here can tell you. If you like the outdoors , you will love it. Enjoy !! Alan
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Just discovered this series and love it . My favorite person is the guy that lives on Turtle Island. Basic skills that most people have lost. It sorta takes me back in time.

He is by far my least favorite. Give me old Tom Ohr, the trapper from MT anyday. I can't keep those shows straight but if that is the one with Marty Mariono from AK on it then he ties for first.
Useless Conway?
Seems to be in a self made problem all the time.

Marty and Tom had their business in order
Real life tv. Really. Actual stuff happening. Real adventures. Totally honest situations where the men's lives are in peril. Eustace has to get his Kale crop in or he won't survive the winter. Marty is probably the most honest character on the show. Watched one season. Like most history channel series, pure bullscheidt. Pawn Stars. Moonshiners. Amish Mafia.
Pass from now on.
Watch one show from each new series, put it away.
Gayr n aids.
Originally Posted by 160user

He is by far my least favorite. Give me old Tom Ohr, the trapper from MT anyday. I can't keep those shows straight but if that is the one with Marty Mariono from AK on it then he ties for first.
I like the other guys too. I like where Marty teaches his young daughter to skin animals. The turtle island guy is sometimes a bit too much, but I like the looks of the area he lives in. Other places too cold for me.
The Useless episodes are nothing more than a poor soap opera. The rest have "some" relevance. Better than watching the 28 minutes of commercials & whispering, plus 1 minute of shooting, hunting vids.
they're is a lot worse on TV... but i have to agree, I could do without that Usetiss feller...
I like the one old guy in Montana and his wife. I don’t care that they aren’t living in an igloo and they drive a truck, I just like the fact that they are living in a way that THEY like and one that is a nice contrast to all the city-based crap.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I like the one old guy in Montana and his wife. I don’t care that they aren’t living in an igloo and they drive a truck, I just like the fact that they are living in a way that THEY like and one that is a nice contrast to all the city-based crap.

They are pretty nice people. I think you are talking about Tom and Nancy.
Yes. I forgot his name but that’s the couple. I’ve always liked him, the loving way that he and his brother interact and…well…pretty much everything I’ve seen from them I’ve respected. The guys that go up to visit or help him all seem like decent people just helping a friend and neighbor.

I’m not surprised that he’s a nice guy. Do you know them well?
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Eustice Conway, the guy that owns Turtle Island, runs a summer camp for kids. It is a quality experience I’m told. The kids get exposed to a lot of different skills, and they get to put them to use. I have always enjoyed the show.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The guy that worked with Eustice had more talent be he died. Tom Orr is a talented guy, made bows, arrows and such in the ways of the Indian era. I did not care that much about Rich who always had problems with his Jeep and dogs. But like with anything, just take what you like and leave the rest. I watched it also for the scenery . Never been back east.
Eustice, Hate that guy, moans about his bills. taxes and such. If he would just pay them on time, like the rest of us?! Gets stupid young kids to pay to work for him. Smart, and he has an unending supply of them. I do hate that guy!
I've watched it since it first aired. Marty was always my favorite, and then Tom. I also liked the first lion hunter, Rich, and can't stand the fool that took his place as the resident houndsman. Eustace is joke, and so is anyone else who falls for the story that he can go cut a few trees down, saw them up, and then go buy whatever he wants. The whole thing is scripted for an audience that for the most part, know absolutely nothing about the outdoor life.

BTW, Marty is on again in the new Mountain Man Alaska show. I've been watching it, and fast forwarding through the goobers that I don't care to watch, which is just about everyone else.
All these shows have continuously manufactured crisis.
We've watched it for years
It's good entertainment, far better than typical contemporary TV programs.
I have been watching it since it started. My favorite is lold Tom Oar, the ex rodeo rider who hunt and traps pretty much for a living. His wife and him make clothing and items out of the hides and animal parts to sell at a general store.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
It has been on the History Channel for years. Eustice Conway, the guy that owns Turtle Island, runs a summer camp for kids. It is a quality experience I’m told. The kids get exposed to a lot of different skills, and they get to put them to use. I have always enjoyed the show.
interesting. Eustice just totally turns me off as an arrogant fake the few times we tried to watch it. Of course every show is scripted unfortunately so its probably not him in real life at all. riding a horse 30 miles or whatever to pay a tax bill. Yeah right.

The guy that worked with Eustice had more talent be he died. Tom Orr is a talented guy, made bows, arrows and such in the ways of the Indian era. I did not care that much about Rich who always had problems with his Jeep and dogs. But like with anything, just take what you like and leave the rest. I watched it also for the scenery . Never been back east.

Things that make one say "hmmm"
https://www.gq.com/story/eustace-conway-last-american-man-retiring
Eustace was the subject of a book. The Last Real Man in America, I think. The chick who wrote it later became his wife if I'm not mistaken. Barkoff sent it to me, and I sent it to Hound girl. It's a decent read, his background and accomplishments are different than most people. Took a coast to coast horse ride. I've never done that. Has anyone else?
Originally Posted by 160user

Marty is a tough dude. I remember the show where his snow machine engine locked up on him 13 miles from his camp. After walking back to camp, he back packed a spare engine and some tools the 13 miles to his machine and fixed it.
I have enjoyed watching it off and on over the years. I'm another one who always liked Marty and Tom. Eustace is a Drama Queen.

Other than them it seems like there has been kind of a rotation of randos through there as well, I never cared for them much.
Have never watched it. A Montana fishing guide I used to hire lived a mile or so from where they film a lot. He said it's funny to see a "wagon train" of trucks, campers, and limos parked along the road while they film the guys struggling through impenetrable "wilderness" a few yards away. The script has them worrying about getting food - and there's a diner not half a mile down that road. After the last episode of the season is in the can, the stars all fly to Bermuda.
Yeah, I've watched a few episodes. It IS quite entertaining!
The snowmobile thing, 13 miles in the backside of nowhere. Reminds me of "Swamp People" when Liz busted the lower unit on her motor and drifted around (according to them!) half a day before some stranger came along to tow her in.
What about the camera crew filming the incident from another boat? They couldn't have towed her in?

There is a LOT of "sensationalism" filmed into those reality (?) shows!
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Have never watched it. A Montana fishing guide I used to hire lived a mile or so from where they film a lot. He said it's funny to see a "wagon train" of trucks, campers, and limos parked along the road while they film the guys struggling through impenetrable "wilderness" a few yards away. The script has them worrying about getting food - and there's a diner not half a mile down that road. After the last episode of the season is in the can, the stars all fly to Bermuda.

People just love being bullshitted..

I'd also never seen the show but did a quick read about the show and the man, Eustace Conway. Did a few YT videos as well to put a voice to the characters.

Below I clipped from a interview of a long-term employee(?) of this Trutle Island Camp. He was requested to meet with Eustace to discuss a new position at Turtle Island.

He’d slink into basecamp occasionally—to eat, teach a class, move the horses—only to disappear just as suddenly, zipping on a motorcycle up into the dark, verdant hills. As I fell in love with the place and returned every few summers to work at camp as a kitchen troll (a position about as glamorous as it sounds) or a counselor, Eustace kept his distance.

When he pulled me aside to make his offer in 2019, it was the first time we’d spoken for more than a few minutes. We’d shared space for a decade, but I hardly knew the man. 

Eustace’s other project: for the past several years, he’s been buying and restoring old houses in the area surrounding Boone he rents most of the houses on AirBnb.

One of them he calls home.

The house looks expensive; appliances and stuff abound.
Leslie, Eustace’s housekeeper greets me at the door, instructs an Amazon Alexa to cut the Fleetwood Mac, and points me out back, where the celebrity is.

His white-columned porch overlooks the Blue Ridge Mountains, laden with their signature isoprene haze. He’s finishing up a call on his cell phone and eating shrimp a la Leslie, cooked on a modern stove rather than a campfire. The shells he either casts into his large, sloping backyard, swallows whole (“I figure it cleans the colon!”), or feeds to his new Pyrenees/Heeler mix, Rebel.

The rough life of Eustace Conway, barely able to pay the tax man or keep himself fed.
To phoney,can't bring myself to watch any of them.
It's right up there with Mountain Monsters. The old fat guys who chase after the Bloodsucking Wooley Booger of Shìt Creek West Virginia
About as much MM as Biden is a Genius!
I’ve always thought that Eustice was a bit creepy!!
Originally Posted by Whelenman

No kid of mine would be involved in the programs they offer..

https://www.turtleislandpreserve.org/

Appears to be pretty heavy into attracting youth to the location that's primarily staffed with volunteer help...

Recipe for disaster...
The show is entertaing like the PTL Club used to be with Jim and Tammy Baker.

It is as phony as the Bakers, just the stars don't dress as nice.

The same company that produced our documentary on Custer, produces "Mountain Men" I didn 't know it during the filming and I told the producer that I hoped our show was better than those phony Mountain Men. He didn't say anything, but later I found out he produced the same show.

Eustice has to be the worst. I watched one episode where they were skidding logs with his steam powered Toyota and they were trying to make it look like a remote wilderness area and you could see very cleary, the road just above where they were trying to skid logs.

The best parts are where any of the so-called "Mountain Men" are in a remote area and can't get their truck or airplane started and have to consider frostbite and being stranded for an uncertain amount of time. When we were filming, there were never less than a dozen people behind the cameras with catered food and tons of resources in a couple vans parked nearby.

Doesn't anyone think that Tom, when he started walking back home in the winter when his Dodge truck wouldn't start, that he could just get a ride in one of the support vehicles with the film crew?
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Doesn't anyone think that Tom, when he started walking back home in the winter when his Dodge truck wouldn't start, that he could just get a ride in one of the support vehicles with the film crew?

Same way when Marty's snowmobile broke down on the trail miles away from the cabin, and it was -40 outside, and he had to spend the night in the bush. It's all scripted to appeal to an audience that will believe anything on TV.
Originally Posted by cs2blue
Eustice, Hate that guy, moans about his bills. taxes and such. If he would just pay them on time, like the rest of us?! Gets stupid young kids to pay to work for him. Smart, and he has an unending supply of them. I do hate that guy!

Just fall in line then Komrad.
Ironic how some people can say it's fake and not worth watching but know all the characters and scenes. Hmmm.

Of course there's manufactured drama and camera crews are nearby. A producer is also helping expedite the scenes. They are not leaving a camera crew, light crew, sound crew and assistant producer sitting around on hourly pay, while Marty walks 26 miles to fix his snow machine. Reality TV is a business, the entertainment business. It's not documentary TV.

I find the show entertaining. I like the bush planes. No faking the flying scenes. It's GoPros mounted on the plane. The backwoods runways could be two miles from a city, but still impressive. It's 100x better than Homestead Rescue, which for the life of me cannot figure out how it's still on the air. Yellowstone Wardens is pretty good too.
Mountain, a very accurate assessment . It is reality tv. I wish the producers would take some of the BS drama out, but it’s a business. One of my favorite episodes is where Tom goes out and cuts wild rose stems to make arrows. I learned a few things from all the actors. Another show I like is Counting Cars. A lot of talent their but you have to tolerate the BS the producers put in. It is what it is.
Very little “real” in reality tv.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I think this guy is the real deal . Met him at the Lewiston Id. gun show a few months ago.
Fun to talk to . Have seen him on other hunting shows besides Mt. Men .
The portions with Mike[?]^^^ and Marty I enjoy, mainly due to interest in what they do, the rest-not so much!
Originally Posted by ironbender
Very little “real” in reality tv.

#hushyomouf
Sue is THE REAL DEAL!!!!
Last episode of one of those shows they look like they're getting ready to replace old Tom with another guy playing a trapper that's a groid.
Phony azzed concocted schitt.................I knew one of the guys on there.

MM
Never watched
Never heard of it.
I've got them all on ignore.
I watched the show off and on the first couple seasons. Trapper Tom and Pilot Marty 'seemed' most 'real' and believable. The rest not so much, I lost interest in the show after that.
Kyle Bell was always going to go broke or hungry and yet he had a big outfitter business in NM.

Preston was very sharp but I could never stand whiny Eustice, when Preston passed and I now fast forwarded past the Turtle Island portion of the show!

Tom Orr is great, Rich was good and when Marty was on he was good, I was glad to see he is back on the new show "Mountain Men: Alaska"
“Conway” is a fitting name for him, he’s been a conman most of his life.
So faked and staged.
ALL FAKE NEWS.............like99% of all TV.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Yes. I forgot his name but that’s the couple. I’ve always liked him, the loving way that he and his brother interact and…well…pretty much everything I’ve seen from them I’ve respected. The guys that go up to visit or help him all seem like decent people just helping a friend and neighbor.

I’m not surprised that he’s a nice guy. Do you know them well?

Yes, I know them. I met them in 1985. And yes, they are nice people, along with everyone else from that area.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
“Conway” is a fitting name for him, he’s been a conman most of his life.
as my dad calls him Useless Eustice
I've occasionally watched it but I can't stand the Hollywood fakeness.
© 24hourcampfire