Home
My nephew is planning on giving his 2 week notice but his stock awards don’t vest until after he gives notice but within the 2 week timeframe.

He wants to do the right thing by his current employer (which I support) but he doesn’t want them to cut him loose and lose the stock. It’s about $2,500 so not something he wants to give up.

His start date is fixed due to training so a delay isn’t feasible.

What is the law in Oregon regarding notices and terminations?

P
They can fire his ass anytime for any or no reason. Right to work state.

https://www.oregon.gov/boli/workers/pages/your-rights-at-work.aspx

Oregon laws allow the termination of an employment relationship by either the employer or the employee, without notice and without cause.
Yeah, but if they cap him without cause, does he have a recourse for his stock award?

P
No
Dang.

The system kinda reinforces no notice.

P
Bud just like a retirement plan that say 5 years paying in to be 100% vested for keeping the employer match. If you leave before the 5 years you keep what you put in but not the employer match.
Call in sick?
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Dang.

The system kinda reinforces no notice. P
A couple of days after he becomes fully vested he should give notice.
He should also try to document somehow that he was still employed after the vesting date in case they try to screw him over.
He should write up his resignation letter and email it to himself at work if he has email.
Then forward it to his boss and make sure to CC himself, then immediately go give a written notice to his boss.
If they really want to they could probably recall the email and he would not have the CC'd copy.
If he can access his own email on his phone he should open the email right before he goes to talk to his boss. I don't think it can be recalled once opened.
My nephew is planning on giving his 2 week notice but his stock awards don’t vest until after he gives notice but within the 2 week timeframe.

He wants to do the right thing by his current employer (which I support) but he doesn’t want them to cut him loose and lose the stock. It’s about $2,500 so not something he wants to give up.

If he really wants to "do the right thing by his employer" he'll give his two weeks notice and let the chips fall where they may. Vesting of stock awards is not an entitlement. It's an incentive for employees to stay, and he's not staying.

Pretty simple.
Originally Posted by smokepole

If he really wants to "do the right thing by his employer" he'll give his two weeks notice and let the chips fall where they may. Vesting of stock awards is not an entitlement. It's an incentive for employees to stay, and he's not staying.

Pretty simple.

I get it, the stock is to reward performance but also stay.

P
Lot's of folks quit without notice these days. I wouldn't but it is a different world now. 99.9% of companies would let you go without notice.
I’d give notice, but that’s just me.
So he wants to do the right thing, but doesn't trust the company to do the right thing. I think there's your answer.
Where does this 2 week notice thing come from? I know it's customary, but why? Must be a thing of the far past, as no job I've ever had since the 80s requires me to give one.
I owe work a true days labor. They owe me a true days pay for that labor. Anything else isn't owed.
© 24hourcampfire