Home
Posted By: Davelefty Eclipse 2024 - 01/09/24
Less than three months to the solar eclipse!
Almost guaranteed to rain or at least be cloudy in northwestern PA, but it will get dark twice in one day.
I am excited to see another.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/09/24
They are weird.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/09/24
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/09/24
I should be in a great location (weather depending) to see it. Pretty excited to see another.
Posted By: SupFoo Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/09/24
This particular total solar eclipse (visible to the USA), on April 08, 2024, has a bit of uniqueness to it.

It arrives seven years after the last total solar eclipse (visible to the USA), on August 21, 2017.

Their paths cross the USA in an "X" pattern, with "ground zero" so to speak, considered Carbondale, IL.

August 17, 2017, Eclipse Path

April 08, 2024, Eclipse Path

As a general statement, Solar Eclipses are considered marking a "New Beginning", Lunar Eclipses considered marking the "End of a Process".

A Solar Eclipse is a good time for an individual to separate themselves from their material life to a more spiritual outlook. An interesting tidbit, think it was the ancient Chinese or Babylonians that feared for their Rulers life during a total solar eclipse and would install a temporary substitute guy to take the brunt of anything bad that might happen.

Usually there is a notable event associated with either (Solar or Lunar), my observation it takes place maybe three days before.

A spot on a map that is crossed by two, especially sequential, total solar eclipses would be considered very significant, the energy from both concentrated at that point (or area). Of course, it's pretty centered simply in the USA, so there is that to consider.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/09/24
Viewed it in Carbondale in 2017.
Im planning on being trout fishing in AR if it’s not cloudy.
Otherwise, back to Carbondale.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/09/24
Somebody got some google.
Posted By: minengr Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/10/24
As someone that lives and works pretty close to Carbondale, I'm taking the day off. For the last one I was working between Carbondale and the interstate. Traffic was bonkers for hours.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/10/24
Will likely travel for a view, but need to decide on a locale with the best odds of a clear sky.

Only had to run about 100 miles to hit the centerline here in Oregon in 2017. Even out in our rural desert though, traffic was a nightmare. There will be serious money to be made by those with acreage to offer up camping spots. Folks were doing $100 a night with no facilities in their cow pastures here in eastern Or and they were fully packed. Rigs from Ca, Nv, Wa, Id, and Canada were on the road to get under the centerline. Our community probably saw a year's worth of traffic that day.

We camped at a small lake (Unity Reservoir) here in Oregon and 14 float planes departed when the event was over. Probably not been a plane there since.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Totality. Some obvious solar storms around the edge.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One has to use a filter during the partial phases to avoid frying his camera sensors, so the color is off during those moments. Cookie used a sheet of mylar on a cardboard tube that fit over her 500 mm prime lens. Once one hits the diamond ring phase, it's OK to lift the filter.

I've been through 3, but the 2017 view was my first with a clear sky. Totality is an erie experience.
Posted By: Futura Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/10/24
Saw the 2017 one in Casper, WY. Eerie and bizarre feeling when the sky darkens, the temps cool off, and the wildlife starts acting like it’s dusk.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
We are supposed to be in the good viewing path here. People are renting spaces for campers and motor homes and all of the space is rented. I don't get the excitement.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Here's a good map of how much totality you'll see where you live. I'm showing about 90% where I am.

https://eclipse.aas.org/eclipse-america-2024
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
I had seen some 90% eclipses in the past but we drove about 3 hours from home to get in the area of total eclipse the last time. The difference between 90% and 100% was huge. We reserved a campsite last week near the area of total eclipse. My daughter is bringing her 3 kids with her. We will still have to drive 30 minutes or so to get into the area of totality.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Here in South East Michigan it going to get very dark....it would be great if its a day with out clouds....
Posted By: Tminc Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Hot damn! My deer lease is smackdab in the middle of the 100% section,may have to sit in my favorite treestand for the show. Revelry ranch up the road has already sold out with 30,000 campers, that will be a zoo.2024 is shaping up to be a doozy yall.Get your popcorn ready.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by Tminc
Hot damn! My deer lease is smackdab in the middle of the 100% section,may have to sit in my favorite treestand for the show. Revelry ranch up the road has already sold out with 30,000 campers, that will be a zoo.2024 is shaping up to be a doozy yall.Get your popcorn ready.

Yup! They tried to get a big venue put in down by Albert. County commissioners put the kabash on that. No water, no sewage, no roads worth a chit.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
As we had one heck of a view of the annular eclipse back in October, I have NO desire to drive to Dallas for a look at a slightly better version.
The October version satisfied my desire to view one - it was pretty close to total.
Posted By: hanco Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Saw a total in 1984. It was sunny that day, had a welding hood and sunglasses. It got dark for a little while.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Yes. There is significant difference between a 90% and totality. Ninety percent is barely noticeable.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Eclipse's were one of the reason educated people in the time of Columbus knew the world was round.
Posted By: RHOD Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. There is significant difference between a 90% and totality. Ninety percent is barely noticeable.

Anything less that totality is just interesting. Totality is awe inspiring.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/11/24
wabigoon:

I think it was Captain Cook that was having issues with some islanders on his multi-year sail and was aware of a pending eclipse. He threatened to make the sun go out, and when it happened, they decided he should maybe be tolerated.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
We're almost dead center of the path. Schools and many businesses will be closed.
The county is issuing special temporary campground permits for anyone wanting to open up their property to accommodate eclipse tourists. They're expecting up to 100,000 visitors in the area.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
I could really care less.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
Bob, you're Cooler than cool. laugh
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Bob, you're Cooler than cool. laugh

Not really.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
Yup, you are!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
Aug. 23, 2044
Quick Facts. After the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024, the next total solar eclipse that can be seen from the contiguous United States will be on Aug. 23, 2044.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by RHOD
[quote=1minute]Yes. There is significant difference between a 90% and totality. Ninety percent is barely noticeable.

Anything less that totality is just interesting. Totality is awe inspiring.[/img]

Yep, I happened to be in Oaxaca visiting a girlfriend when one went through (‘91??). Four plus minutes of totality.

1) Most of the eclipse is just regular daylight, you look up and part of the sun is blocked.

2) Still full daylight but the sunlight has no intensity, you look up and only a crescent sun is visible.

3) Like someone is turning down a dimmer switch it starts to get dark everywhere at once.

4) Full totality! A black sun with a fiery corona around it. Stars visible in the black sky around the sun. You can see out of the moon’s shadow in every direction like a 360 degree dawn. Like nothing you’ve ever seen.

5) The girlfriend and the blanket on the isolated Indian ruin (all over the place in Oaxaca) were positives, the bottle of wine was not. The whole time I was wishing I was stone cold sober.
Posted By: hanco Re: Eclipse 2024 - 01/12/24
Going to friends home in Marble falls to check it out. I hope it’s clear that day
© 24hourcampfire