Home
Posted By: Dillonbuck Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Do you miss it?
Not Iodine, or Mecurochrome, the real deal.

Some how I scraped my gut, looks like a good 2nd degree burn, about the
size of a quarter. Not quite life threatening, just annoying.

40 years ago, 3 applications of Satan's Blood would have had it dried up with
a tough layer over it. Unfortunately, that miracle cure is bad for you.

Instead, I'll fight band aids all day. Still ending up with a nice green crust on it
from T-shirt lint.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Monkey blood.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
yes ,i do miss it.
Posted By: Oldagpilot Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Yes I miss it pops sink always had some on the back ready for any injury he used it everyday
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Mercurochrome and merthiolate were banned because they contained mercury. There have been a bunch of well-known and widely-used antibacterials that have been banned, including ones like Cetaphil.

I shake my head at decisions like these. We ban things that have a very minor risk but which protect us from the very real risk of infection.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
The Leg Cramp pills that had a miniscule amount of Quinine in them were banned probably because they worked but the Vaccines, ahh no. We keep them and promote them because they don't work except for killing people.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Always crashing in burning in the gravel at the trailer park.

We rode and made jumps always gettin road rash

šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ˜±
Posted By: Boogan1 Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
My folks went to mexico a couple of years ago and one of the things my mom brought back was a case of merthiolate! My family now has a lifetime supply.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Mercurochrome and merthiolate worked great on cuts and scrapes. seemed to always have that stuff on skinned knees and elbows. Iodine worked good too. It did sting a little more than merthiolate. As a kid many years ago, my doctor would use merthiolate and one of those swabs on a wooden sitck to treat a sore throat. The thing looked like a giant Q-tip. He would swab, or as the Doc would say, mop out your throat. It would make you gag. But it knocked the $hit out of a sore throat fast. Unbelievable how quick the pain would go away.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by Boogan1
My folks went to mexico a couple of years ago and one of the things my mom brought back was a case of merthiolate! My family now has a lifetime supply.

You can still get it on Amazon
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
We talking the little bottle with the glass applicator? I remember that stuff.
Posted By: hanco Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
I remember it very well, cshit hurt on cuts
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
You guys should start using leaches and willow bark next.
Posted By: mathman Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Were you one of those Bactine sissies?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
jc189,

You are the first person Iā€™ve known of to experience the throat painting, as old Doc Colvin, used to call it.

No other docs here did it.

Was your Doc a WWii vet by chance?

Colvin was a Navy Doc.

Mathman,
Mom made fun of Bactine.

Tried to find some Bactine in the closet, donā€™t have any.

Dumped alcohol on it, by the third time it was dried up enough it didnā€™t sting. Too bad!šŸ˜

At work now, dried up no band aid. Good to go.
Originally Posted by mathman
Were you one of those Bactine sissies?

No. They used the old, out dated shƬt on us too. Probably because they had so much left from not using that.old outdated shƬt on themselves.

Most of you big tough guys probably won't eat canned tuna.....
Posted By: mathman Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
You're barking up the wrong tree on that one. Canned tuna is gourmet stuff compared to the potted meat and Vienna sausages I've consumed over the years. grin
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
i remember Mercurochrome very well. i don't know if the cuts or Mercurochrome hurts worse.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by jc189
Mercurochrome and merthiolate worked great on cuts and scrapes. seemed to always have that stuff on skinned knees and elbows. Iodine worked good too. It did sting a little more than merthiolate. As a kid many years ago, my doctor would use merthiolate and one of those swabs on a wooden sitck to treat a sore throat. The thing looked like a giant Q-tip. He would swab, or as the Doc would say, mop out your throat. It would make you gag. But it knocked the $hit out of a sore throat fast. Unbelievable how quick the pain would go away.

Brings back memories!
Posted By: TheKid Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
jc189,

You are the first person Iā€™ve known of to experience the throat painting, as old Doc Colvin, used to call it.

Colvin was a Navy Doc.

Mathman,
Mom made fun of Bactine.

Dumped alcohol on it, by the third time it was dried up enough it didnā€™t sting. Too bad!šŸ˜

Old guy I knew here used a cotton ball impaled on a fork for the throat swabbing. I know people who still lament his passing when they get a sore throat.
Posted By: centershot Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Either that or BFI powder were the go to for cuts and scraps when I was a kid.
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
What was BFI powder, never heard of that one. I like Bactine and the clear iodine, no orange stain.
Posted By: memtb Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Still use it, still believe in it.

Itā€™s difficult to get, about 10 years ago my wife found an internet sourceā€¦.. it required buying a case/package of 6. Still have some but getting low, we may be internet shopping once again! memtb
Originally Posted by TheKid
jc189,

Colvin was a Navy Doc.

Mathman,
Mom made fun of Bactine.

Old guy I knew here used a cotton ball impaled on a fork for the throat swabbing. I know people who still lament his passing when they get a sore throat.

When I was a kid, we had an ā€œatomizerā€ bottle, I think thatā€™s what it was called. When any of us had a sore throat, my Dad would put Merthiolate in it and spray our throats with it. And before some of you smart asses make a commentā€¦ā€¦inside the mouth, not on the outside of your neck!

We didnā€™t enjoy the application at all, but it darn sure helped relieve a sore throat! memtb
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Bactine? Ha! It couldnā€™t be any goodā€¦.it didnā€™t burn enough to be effective šŸ”„
Just get a tetanus shot ever decade or so and wash your hands before supper.

City boys......
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
My dad would paint our throats with merthiolate. It worked for sure.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
As noted above, all of the stuff that actually works, gets banned. There is no profit in a 1 oz bottle of effective treatment that lasts a lifetime. Big Pharma wants recurring revenue.

The cynical statement above would be funny, if not true...
Posted By: las Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Neosporine + pain! Fug that fiery stuff.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
The stuff on Amazon is the same name but not at all the original ingredients. Contains acetone, alchohol, red #22, purified water, and the active ingredient is benzalkonium chloride. Probably burns like hell fire to remind you of the old stuff, but it's not.
Posted By: carrollco Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
In college the school nurse and the pharmaceutical factory nurse would swab our throats and knock out sore throats, strep and the like. We were too poor to get sick. Had to keep working to pay bills. Didnā€™t have student debt either. Was a zombie for a few years but made it.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Just go to your feed store and get 7% strong iodine.

Itā€™ll get your attention.
Posted By: centershot Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
What was BFI powder, never heard of that one. I like Bactine and the clear iodine, no orange stain.

Mom would just dump that stuff on until we quit bleeding and send us back outside. Wish I had a few bottles now, the add this pic came from on ebay is asking $350 for it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
If we ran out of merthiolate, mom just grabbed the rubbing alcohol. Not sure if her motive was disinfecting or teaching me a lesson to be more careful.
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Young guy here but still remember it , Granny used to keep some in medicine cabinet. What about Gentain Violet? or something like that , used more for fungal stuff - athletes foot and jock itch. would burn like fire and stain your skin purple. But man that stuff worked too... Joe
Posted By: rcbergs Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Does anyone remember Niter and Paragoric? When I was growing up in the 50s they were a staple in our house to cure all types of ailments. I think they went the way of mercurochrome and methiolate also.
Originally Posted by rcbergs
Does anyone remember Niter and Paragoric? When I was growing up in the 50s they were a staple in our house to cure all types of ailments. I think they went the way of mercurochrome and methiolate also.

I certainly remember taking Paragoric as a kid! memtb
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
Merthiolate, mercurochrome and were staples in my misspent youth thanks to Grandpaā€™s doctoring. I remember my grandpa having hands like bear paws the arm muscles of Popeye and he ALWAYS had Merthiolate on some injury or another. If grandpa used it then you can be DAMN sure I used it. šŸ˜€

I miss the good old daysā€¦
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Merthiolate - 01/11/24
That schit stang and stunk at the same time
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Frank Glaser bought a glass vial of iodine corked for his first aid kit at his Savage River cabin. The cork dried out over the years and allowed the water and alcohol in the iodine to evaporate which condensed the iodine into a very very strong and potent iodine which, according to Frank, had the ā€œconsistency of molassesā€. Frank was working on a moose hide that he had in a bucket soaking while the mosquitoes drove him crazy. He, without thinking, scratched at a bite with his dirty hands and accidentally scratched himself and drew a little blood. That mosquito bite and ā€œmoose handā€ scratch got infected and swelled up something fierce. Frank was really sick and he knew that he was going to die without intervention so he decided to take his knife and ā€œopen his neckā€ to reduce the swelling. Frank said it ā€œhurt like hellā€ but then he took the vial of condensed iodine and poured a little into his wound. He could immediately taste the iodine and then the room started spinning and he passed out. He survived after a stay in the Fairbanks hospital but the doc said he wasnā€™t long for the world if he hadnā€™t struggled to get to town. He had iodine poisoning on top of the bad ā€œmoose handā€ (or seal hand or salmon hand or bear handā€¦theyā€™re the ā€œsame-sameā€) but Frank was as tough as they come.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by rcbergs

A local pharmacy makes an. "Intestinal Mixture" that is great if you
have the puking chits.

It contains Paragoric.

Before the Opiod "Epidemic" it was on the shelf.

Now you need a prescription.

Our doc gives us one twice yearly. Just to have if you need it.
Unfortunately it doesn't have an indefinite shelf life.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by rainshot
The Leg Cramp pills that had a miniscule amount of Quinine in them were banned probably because they worked but the Vaccines, ahh no. We keep them and promote them because they don't work except for killing people.

No. We don't ban vaccines or wet backs.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

City boys......

Damn straight - and if that don't work, rub some dirt on it.

Kinda funny story, a few years ago I cut myself pretty bad on a rusty piece of metal. My hands were filthy, greasy, and I was pumping blood like a stuck pig.

After I went inside and scrubbed it with Lava soap (fuggin' ouch!), realized I wouldn't be able to stitch it up myself. Plus, I was heading out backpacking to a spike camp in a couple days.

So, I went in to see my doc to get it stapled shut and a tetanus booster.

She took a look at it and said, and I sheit you not, "I'm surprised you didn't just rub some dirt on it. You're getting soft."

Damn I miss that doc. She passed away not too long ago, just about broke my heart.
Posted By: huntjinx Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Campho Phenique. We didn't go for the sissy stuff.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Not heard of it.
Posted By: memtb Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by huntjinx
Campho Phenique. We didn't go for the sissy stuff.

Forgot about that, used it a lot when I was youngerā€¦.probably have a bottle around here somewhere! memtb
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Burnt like the devil for a few seconds.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
The replacement today is betadine.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
I superglue all of my wounds.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

City boys......

Kinda funny story, a few years ago I cut myself pretty bad on a rusty piece of metal. My hands were filthy, greasy, and I was pumping blood like a stuck pig.

After I went inside and scrubbed it with Lava soap (fuggin' ouch!), realized I wouldn't be able to stitch it up myself. Plus, I was heading out backpacking to a spike camp in a couple days.

She took a look at it and said, and I sheit you not, "I'm surprised you didn't just rub some dirt on it. You're getting soft."

Damn I miss that doc. She passed away not too long ago, just about broke my heart.

Black pepper will stop blood.
The finer ground the better.
It feels like you expect pepper in an open wound to feel,
but the bleeding stops. Right now.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Satan's spit.
Posted By: las Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

City boys......

Black pepper will stop blood.
The finer ground the better.
It feels like you expect pepper in an open wound to feel,
but the bleeding stops. Right now.

Works on minor radiator leaks too. Cheaper and handier than stop-leak. Or paying some asswhole $200 and he couldn't find it, much less fix it. 2 years later I hit a moose with that F150, which finished the radiator, the truck, and the moose, but that sucker still wasn't leaking! The radiator, not the moose.
A less painful use!

Another Kill or Cure involves being gaulded.

Also learned from Mom.

White vinegar or rubbing alcohol.

You'll grit your teeth, maybe lose a few drops of pee.
But after the burning stops (a looonnng minute?) It's all over.
That raw, chafed area is now dried over and you can go on without it bothering you.
I'll take that every time over powder or lotions, stuff that let's it drag on.
Posted By: misfire270 Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Jc189 we had the same doctor, I donā€™t know how many times in my life ive had mythroat "MOPPED ā€œ with merthiolate and it was cleared up next day! And its not banned unless just recently,i bought a new bottle a year or less back at wallgreens I believe.
Originally Posted by jc189
Posted By: greydog Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
We always had some home remedies which were highly valued. Some were more effective than others but most, while they might not produce a cure, would at least take your mind off the malady. Bag Balm was a perennial favorite for any sort of skin problem. Iodine was the go to for cuts, but we kids preferred Murthiolate because it didn't burn as bad. Camphor oil was good for anything. Watkins Horse Linament was good as a rub or taken orally with hot milk. Masengill douche powder was used for bee stings (mixed with just enough water to make a paste) or for most anything where an anti-bacterial wash might be used. It was actually very effective. I think carbolic acid was a main ingredient.
The efficacy of many home remedies was questionable but was certainly better than the covid vaccines. GD
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
Originally Posted by greydog
The efficacy of many home remedies was questionable but was certainly better than the covid vaccines. GD

Very true!
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Merthiolate - 01/12/24
My mom used campho phinique on everything from scratches to bee stings to broken bones to squeaky door hinges and leaky radiators.
© 24hourcampfire