Home
Jump to 7:30

Oops. And just like that, poof.
Pretty cool!
That rifle doesn’t look very pleasant to shoot.

Cool video.
Cool video!
I have a 458 Lott that is damned stout. Never wanted to shoot a 577 trex.
Check at 12:10 where the block deforms the table.
Fun video
Very cool
Yessir.
Originally Posted by Steve

Yep. I carried a .450 Rigby with 500gr at 2300 - 2400fps. It will get your attention, and clean your sinuses at the same time. Never saw the need to go any bigger and wouldn't want to regardless.

I've shot a .450 NE which to me was easier on the shoulder than the .450 Rigby. But double rifles weigh in at 11.5 lbs and that certainly helps.... a little.
That ball of flaming gas sears your steaks from the inside out.
The tip of the bullet lit up like a police flashlight the instant it came into contact with ballistic gel. What the hell is that??
Piezoelectric Effect
That much shock and the bullet didn't even expand, did it?
Originally Posted by RHClark
That was the solid. The soft lead round deformed a lot, and didn't even make it out the back of the second block.

Solids are designed not to deform, but to penetrate. They will go the full length of a Cape buffalo.
The hinged floor plate opening under recoil is very uncool. The one guy said the shooter' finger hit it during recoil, I could not see that in slow motion.
Put a shirt on. Nobody wants to see your fat ripple.

That said the powder burning inside the gel was pretty cool.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That was the solid. The soft lead round deformed a lot, and didn't even making it out the back of the second block.

Solids are designed not to deform, but to penetrate. They will go the full length of a Cape buffalo.

Perfectly explained
I shoot a 300 grain icewater quenched hard cast bullet with a gas check from my 6" Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. It chronographs at 1300 FPS, penetrates 18" of tightly packed wet newspaper, and doesn't expand. Other than the rifling grooves it could be loaded and fired again. Until I fitted a set of soft rubber grips, the grip frame was bruising and cutting my hands. It's a lot of fun to shoot- - - - -a few times!
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That was the solid. The soft lead round deformed a lot, and didn't even making it out the back of the second block.

Perfectly explained

I figured it was a solid being a buffalo rifle. I was just imagining what would have happened had it mushroomed.
Surprised nobody has questioned the "82,000 FPS"...
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Yep. I carried a .450 Rigby with 500gr at 2300 - 2400fps. It will get your attention, and clean your sinuses at the same time. Never saw the need to go any bigger and wouldn't want to regardless.

I've shot a .450 NE which to me was easier on the shoulder than the .450 Rigby. But double rifles weigh in at 11.5 lbs and that certainly helps.... a little.

I had a 475 NE double for a while. It was a pleasure to shoot.
“It looks like someone kicked a chicken”
Originally Posted by G_Anderson

Frames per second
An African hunter asked his Professional Hunter (PH) what rifle he shot.
The PH replied, "A .600 Nitro Express."
The client then asked, "Why do you shoot a .600 Nitro Express?"
The PH stated, "Because they don't make a bloody .700 Nitro Express!" (they now build a .700 NE! 😖)
"Will it shoot minute-of-angle?", the client mused.
"I don't know," the PH said smiling, "but it will shoot minute-of-rhino!"

Ran nearly a whole box of ammo through a Ruger M77 .458 Win Mag.
First round, I expected to be slapped up side my punkin head and a week long head ache!
I was surprised that THAT particular rifle produced more of a heavy "thump-shove" rather than bone jarring, eye crossing recoil!
I bought a Ruger M77 in .300 Win Mag! Had to be the most vicious recoil of any rifle I've ever pulled a trigger on!

Very interesting video!
Thanks!

The 450 Nitro was promoted at around 2150fps.
Geoff McDonald from Woodleigh Bullets told me once he chronographed most of the old Nitro rounds and they never lived up to full factory spec's and that market back then obviously didn't have the chronographs to refute factory claims.

Your 450 Rigby is the 416 Rigby case necked up (460 Weatherby without the belt) so will load up to 2700fps with 500grainers if you explore its potential.
Originally Posted by G_Anderson

Why? That’s not even close to how slow is possible.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

The 450 Nitro was promoted at around 2150fps.
Geoff McDonald from Woodleigh Bullets told me once he chronographed most of the old Nitro rounds and they never lived up to full factory spec's and that market back then obviously didn't have the chronographs to refute factory claims.

Your 450 Rigby is the 416 Rigby case necked up (460 Weatherby without the belt) so will load up to 2700fps with 500grainers if you explore its potential.

Yes the theoretical vs the actual is eye-opening now that we have chronographs. The old doubles were happy at 2,000 fps. Not sure I would want to push them much beyond that. Modern doubles can handle the additional chamber pressure so push away.

I agree that the .450 Rigby/Dakota has potential over 2,400fps, but two concerns: 1. My shoulder 2. Most of the bullets available start to shed their jackets (softs) at 2,400 fps and driving monolithics at that speed only results in one dead and one or more injured if anything is behind what you're shooting at. So I was happy at 2,300-2,400 fps and shooting 500gr Woodleigh Weldcores. Perfect mushroom and can bust one or sometimes both shoulders on a buff. One shot and you're done.
© 24hourcampfire