Home
Posted By: Higginez 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Dad’s latest project. The work this shop does on the motors is just stunning. When we went and toured the shop last year the main guy was telling us the process they use. They epoxy the block smooth and let it cure Then they apply paint, let it cure for several weeks before firing it up and letting it reach a specific temp. Repeat. He was very specific on the times and temps. Takes 6 months or so. The end product is damn impressive!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: gunzo Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
COOL! thanks Higg.

Are we looking at electric power steering? (have to think that might be aftermarket)

And I love the lube port for the water pump shaft. Wounder how often that needed a squirt? Generator has them too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Damn you.

more cool car pics and no Jimmy Olson news stories....................................................................again.

What kinda place you think this is anyway? whistle
Posted By: hanco Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Thank you. Never knew that
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Here's one from the other side.

Posted By: Winchester21 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Your pics never disappoint. Thank you.
Posted By: Osky Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
I’m surprised all those bolt heads are not color matching. What a great looking old beast.

Osky
Posted By: longarm Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Phenomenal!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
WOW!! That is gorgeous!
Originally Posted by Osky
I’m surprised all those bolt heads are not color matching. What a great looking old beast.

Osky

It looks like they are chromed?
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
[quote=Higginez]Dad’s latest project. The work this shop does on the motors is just stunning.
STUNNING is the absolute truth on that craftsmanship. Thanks for the latest round of awe - inspiring pics.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Gorgeous. That gives "sanitary" new meaning.
This is the Packard V12 (another 38) that we were gawking when he was telling us how they paint the motors. It's a very tedious process. This car belongs to the same client and won it's class at Pebble Beach in 2022. He's hoping to go back and win again with this one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Osky

That would look kinda lame imho.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Another homerun Higginez !
Posted By: AlleghenyMountain Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
My father will be 91in a couple of weeks and has always had a great memory, including his older brothers and in laws cars from the 30s. Apparently everyone when he was a kid considered these pre-war Packards to be the ultimate car. A local funeral home had a Packard hearse and some of the coal company big wigs had them. Thanks for sharing these pics with us.
Originally Posted by Higginez

Osky

I think so too. I like the contrast of the chrome bolts against that green.
Posted By: Osky Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24

Osky

Yes, probably so. I was thinking all of them black.
Thanks for posting these autos, great stuff.
Osky
Posted By: CCCC Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Beautiful beautification of the entire compartment, and the engine surface just glows. It has to look better now than when new. Had two Packards in the 50s - one pre-war and one 47. For sure neither of their engine areas looked like this one - at all.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Yow. I cannot imagine the cost of something like this. Its incredible work.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
That is awesome. I think the chrome bolts and other furniture make it look more complex….I like the look. 😊
Posted By: Mohall57 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
That baby is a work of art, man does it bring back memories. When I was in my early teens there were still of some those classic running around, we boys thought that big ole flat head was the coolest motor ever, this was about the tine the first overhead V8 were being introduced and a ton of hopped flat head Vi’s were kicking ass on the tracks and strips. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Higginez - is your pop doing the top too, along with the interior upholstery?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
👍👍
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Higginez - is your pop doing the top too, along with the interior upholstery?

Yep.

Rather interesting frame work.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/19/24
Very cool .... I would drive the chit outta that machine.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/20/24
Helped start one on a pallet when Briggs Cunningham had his rebuilt for his built in 1932.
It was called a Twin Six in 1932

In 1933 it became the V12
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/20/24
An old family friend, who was an honest to goodness horse and buggy doctor, owned one just like that. My father was always envious of that car.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/20/24
Couple shots of the dash.

Posted By: reivertom Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 01/21/24
That's what a car should look like!!!
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 02/29/24
Slowly but surely!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gunswizard Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 02/29/24
As a young man my father chauferred a wealthy couple in a Packard V12 like that.
Posted By: Longbob Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 02/29/24
Your father does incredible work and is a perfectionist. The engine finishing is amazing, but I would have thought the engine builder would have been a little more OCD and get the pulley/belts more in alignment.
Originally Posted by Longbob
Your father does incredible work and is a perfectionist. The engine finishing is amazing, but I would have thought the engine builder would have been a little more OCD and get the pulley/belts more in alignment.

LOL

The guy couldn’t be anymore OCD and I’m sure if they are actually mis aligned and it’s not just a schitty cellphone pic playing tricks he’ll have it perfect by the time Pebble Beach rolls around.
Posted By: Longbob Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 02/29/24

LOL

The guy couldn’t be anymore OCD and I’m sure if they are actually mis aligned and it’s not just a schitty cellphone pic playing tricks he’ll have it perfect by the time Pebble Beach rolls around.

Could be the cellphone pics and that was my initial thought when I saw it in the first pic, but the second pic seemed to confirm it was out of alignment. Very clean and impressive looking engine for sure.
I'll let him know you were concerned.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24
Beautiful, thanks.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24
back in the day, my dad had a 1948 Packard Clipper with a straight 8 engine. It was nice, but nothing at all like this beauty from before WWII.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24

Yeah get back to us on that😂🤣😂
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Yeah get back to us on that😂🤣😂

LOL

The guy has built and been involved with cars that win at the most prestigious car show for 30+ years! He’s pretty detail oriented to say the least.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24
Back in 1990 I did a restoration of a 1938 V-12 for General Motors it was very hard to find the car....it was found in Mexico City....it took me and a 3 others 8 months 7 days a week to do the restoration for the Detroit Auto Show....
Also did an Allison V-12 engine for the Show....it was easy to find a friend of mine had 6 in a warehouse in Detroit that he bought in 1958 for $500 each.....he had put several in boats over the years.....this one would never be run again even tho it was completely rebuilt completely all hardware chrome plated and a show paint finish.....
Were the belts in perfect alignment?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24

You're better than that humblebrag.

I am not!
Posted By: Craigster Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24

LOL

Could be the cellphone pics and that was my initial thought when I saw it in the first pic, but the second pic seemed to confirm it was out of alignment. Very clean and impressive looking engine for sure.

He ain't done yet.
Posted By: MAC Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/01/24
My great grandparents had a 46 Packard. I really wanted it but was only 12 when they passed. It went to my uncle who immediately sold it. Sorry bastard!
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/02/24
Originally Posted by Craigster

LOL

The guy couldn’t be anymore OCD and I’m sure if they are actually misaligned and it’s not just a schitty cellphone pic playing tricks he’ll have it perfect by the time Pebble Beach rolls around.

He ain't done yet.

He's probably playing 4D chest to mess with all the other Pebble Beach hopefuls! LOL
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/15/24
Well, this one is getting closer even if it doesn't look that way from the pics! LOL

Dad has around 400 hours in it. Seats, door panels, carpet and trunk are done for the most part. Dad figures this was a one off custom order as he's seen very few convertible limos with the privacy glass and only room for two people in the back. Lots of custom work getting this interior in.

Posted By: MARCEL Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/15/24
Looking awesome
Posted By: earlybrd Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 03/15/24
Looks good😎
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
Dads finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one. 500+ hours. You could buy a new Ford diesel pickup for what the interior on this Packard cost! Didn’t get in at Pebble this year which has relieved a lot of stress on both shops.

Posted By: Cecil56 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
Awesome Work!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
Dads finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one. 500+ hours. You could buy a new Ford diesel pickup for what the interior on this Packard cost!
Glad the craftsman is is being compensated. So often it seems they get paid pennies on the dollar.
Posted By: bosshoff Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
I love how your dad bubble wrapped the car to protect it as he works.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
I lived on a Consolidated Speedway boat many moons ago. 52" long as I recall, powered by a Packard Straight 8. Smoothest running engine I've crossed paths with, max RPM of 1800. Pistons were a little bit short of basketball diameter. Thinking this was the dawn of torque....
Posted By: CCCC Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I lived on a Consolidated Speedway boat many moons ago. 52" long as I recall, powered by a Packard Straight 8. Smoothest running engine I've crossed paths with, max RPM of 1800. Pistons were a little bit short of basketball diameter. Thinking this was the dawn of torque....
Very insightful post - yes - very torquey. Big displacement cans firing that very long stroke every 45 degrees, and high mass in the block - formula for smooth beyond what many of us have experienced. Must have been a cool boat - but maybe a bit cramped at 52".

Fine work by this fellow - 500 hours, wow. As a rank amateur, I can't imagine such discipline on just the interior. Nice to know that such craftsmen are still churning.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24

I am not!

Good man, neither am I.
Originally Posted by bosshoff
I love how your dad bubble wrapped the car to protect it as he works.

The resto shop does that for him.

Funny story. The 38 BMW and the Aston Bertone that won at last years event had an issue with the protective material that was used. The shop switched to a new clear coat and the adhesive on the wrap left marks! The shop had a bunch of hours buffing both cars out for the show.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
Good project. Nice work. I would think the temperature in the shop would be key for working with the material ??
I'm sure it helps.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
Beautiful work on a very handsome, classic automobile. "When money is no object ...... " smile

Your father is a very talented craftsman.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 1938 Packard V12 - 04/14/24
Higster,

I think your dear old dad, has to own the ultimate Hobby Shop. I can't even imagine being able to be around stuff like that.

That Packard engine and the detail work your dad has done on it, just blows me away.

This thing is going to be a beauty, even beyond what the factory would have been able to turn out.

But from my point of view, the REAL part that impresses me is what he's done UNDER the hood.

NOT only the cool factor of that motor, but how its finished and detailed.

your old man is definitely not a Motorhead as much as he is a real Artist, of the first order.

you have my envy, and he has my RESPECTS!
Dad has an upholstery shop. The restoration shop brings him cars to do interiors.
© 24hourcampfire