Home
Posted By: Pharmseller Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
I bought this truck from my dad when it got too big for him. He bought it new in 1997 as his retirement present to himself. It’s too big for me, too, and I bought a smaller truck so the big Ford needs a new home.

Here’s the poop sheet:

1997 Ford F250 7.3L Powerstroke diesel 4WD Super Cab
171,129 miles
Manual hubs
5 speed manual transmission (millennial anti-theft device)
Long bed w/bed mat
Tow package
A/C, power windows, power door locks
Very good condition, meticulously maintained

KBB says top end of private party for my zip code is $11,225 but that seems low. Any input? I’m checking local prices but not many comps in my area.

Postimages won’t load else I’d add pics.

P
I’d almost double that I believe
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
27 year old truck, KBB sounds about right.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
On marketplace in my area that seems about right - maybe $3K more if its pristine
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
In good shape and the mileage, with maintenance records 15,000 to 18,000 in my area! There are lots of 7.3 fans around, keeping prices on the up side.
Posted By: las Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
In 2010 we were moving to Kotzebue for one to 3 years (stayed 8). I thought I'd sell the 2003 Cummins 3500 Ram, & buy new when we came back.

There was no way I was going to take the "going" market price/depreciation for a pristine vehicle with less than 90 K on it. Too much "book" depreciation! And I'd gotten it, with Lance camper, for a real good price myself (guy had months to live, so was selling cheap)

Had a buyer too, but decided it was wortgh more to keep it - a few years kater I even had a garage to store it in! smile
Still driving it, and it's just trucking along! About 135 on it now..l

Lot of miles on yours . Maybe a tad more Han"book" if it is pristine, and has been well maintained.

It's only worth what you can get for it, vs what it's worth to you. Don't get stupid, tho.

I think you can get 20K for it, anyway.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’d almost double that I believe

That’s what I’m thinking too. I’ve seen a couple that were a year older, similar miles, but short beds, priced around $21k.

If you’re gonna have a big truck, have a full-sized bed.

P
Originally Posted by KFWA
On marketplace in my area that seems about right - maybe $3K more if its pristine
Opinions are like azzholes, Brother.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by KFWA
Opinions are like azzholes, Brother.
I like that saying 🤣👍
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
I've been studying the used market, I got a Tundra and an FJ Cruiser going away, Rough seas ahead. Voluntary repo's are through the roof, people are way under water on their loans, and they are handing their keys back and walking away. Avg car payment in 2016...459 mo, avg in 2023, 740. I have a friend who is a driver for a wholesale auto auction in Spokane, their business has dropped less than half in 6 months. Bottom line, there is a schidtload of cars on the market. Banks are getting nervous and wany out...they don't want the cars. Interest on used now I think is 14.9%. There should be a little bump in March when tax refunds start, but personally, in this market, I'd take the first serious cash offer, or wait it out. Lithia Motors? Sell your stock now.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
No rust that truck would bring 18-20k in the south
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
If it was the F350, with the non-articulating front axle) or a shortbed, or crewcab, probably be a $17-$20k truck, easy. Definitely wouldn’t price it a penny below $15k, to start….
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
I would go maybe $5k.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
What rear end gear ratio? I wouldn’t let it go for under 20k myself.
Posted By: WMR Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
$11,300? I call dibs at that price. I bet that truck will still be on the road in 10 more years.
Posted By: WMR Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
If it were mine, I’d list it local for 19K and see what happens. Actually, I’d keep it. Big trucks are cool! 😏
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
The engine alone would bring $5K.
Posted By: cageycat Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Is it an xlt?? There are people paying crazy money for the old osb pickups.I have a 1994 I bought new and I get people wanting to buy my pickup at least once a month!!! Depends on condotion for sure.
Posted By: cageycat Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by Nestucca
My bet would be 4:10's mine had 3.73's.
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
What was it worth in 2019? Now double that.
Posted By: okie Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
https://www.rbpautomotive.com/details/used-1996-ford-f-350/100236266
https://www.rbpautomotive.com/details/used-1997-ford-f-250/100003389
https://www.rbpautomotive.com/details/used-1997-ford-f-250/99337151
https://www.rbpautomotive.com/details/used-1997-ford-f-350/99036409

Mine is a Super Cab, not Crew.

But if someone offers me $40k I’ll take it.

P
There are places like that one that comb the country for trucks like yours
I’ll give them a call.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Looks like the fire narrowed it down from $5k to $20k.
Posted By: killerv Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by Showdog75
No rust that truck would bring 18-20k in the south

I don't know, buddy just sold his similar '99 that was very well maintained, he started at 20k and ended up getting 15k, took about a 6 months to sell.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Trucks like that are reasonable priced around here. On the left coast everything cost more, you can ask as much as you want. There's always someone who wants a underpowered, non turning, out dated pickup truck for occasionally use.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
That truck I. The condition described would bring $20k plus where I live. What color is it?
They'll sit on that one for longtime. Unless they find an imbecile with more money than brains.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
If your dad‘s truck is in, good shape zero rust 16 to 18 K, Very good shape zero rust 18 to 22K Excellent shape zero rust 22 to 27K (mint)zero rust one owner truck 28 to 32K… providing the truck has not been dicked with all factory parts, especially in the engine bay, and no tunes. OBS 7.3 power stroke with a five speed is a very desirable truck. I have a 97F350 standard cab 8 foot bed five speed just over 97K original miles zero rust garage kept its whole life, mint mint truck. I would not be surprised if I put it on eBay motors to get 40 K out of that truck. two years ago the owner of the detail shop I bring my vehicles to offered me 30 K. some people might think I’m crazy with these numbers, but there are some crazy people out there spending some crazy money for these trucks, lol. Get a proper detail with good rubber, advertise it as a one owner , you gonna get a lot more for the truck than you think. Just my two cents :-) oh, and color Is a big factor, grandpa Gold is not as desirable :-) GLWYS…..
Posted By: BamBam Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
https://www.4-wheelclassics.com/vehicles/918/1997-ford-f250-supercab

I’ve spoken to this guy a few times, never bought anything from him, (close)…but he has fine examples of 4 x 4’s.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
I’d be tempted to fly to you and drive it back home for KBB price, and I don’t even need it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
18,000 to 20,000
Posted By: hanco Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
18,000 to 20,000
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
It is a supercab NOT a club cab. The club is the coveted version.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
I’m sure you’re right with the towing package.

I’m away from home so no access to owner’s manual, how do I get this information?

P
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
I bought a clean '06 F350 6.0 King Ranch with 125K miles 6 weeks ago for $20K... this truck is probably worth $10-14K.

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I’m away from home so no access to owner’s manual, how do I get this information?
P

Check the axle tag or VIN...
Postimages is cooperating now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
I was looking at Portland Craigslist, owner only, of course none of them are as good as yours but I'm not seeing very high prices. I see one '99 down in Oregon City for 17Gs, 155,000 on it.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I was looking at Portland Craigslist, owner only, of course none of them are as good as yours but I'm not seeing very high prices. I see one '99 down in Oregon City for 17Gs, 155,000 on it.

Super Cab 4x4 7.3L diesel, 8’ bed? I missed that one.

P
Posted By: victoro Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
1) Put some wheel chocks under the front tires.

2) Jack the rear tires off the ground

3) Put the transmission in neutral.

4) Turn the drive shaft until a rear tire makes a full revolution.

5) If the driveshaft made 4 complete turns you have a 4.1 ratio differential.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty pay somebody else to do it. I'm pretty sure that the VIN, the tags or the numbers on the rear end won't tell you anything about the gear ratio. My 1980 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup has a label in the glove box with all the vehicle specifications, it has a locking 4.1 differential.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
That’s my favorite body style from Ford. Had a 97 for a work truck years ago. Traded it in for a 2004 with the POS 5.4 L. The 97 had a Great interior layout. Probably one of their best diesel engines too. Don’t know if it’ll quite fetch $20k but list it for that. You can always come down.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Help me price my truck - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by victoro
1) Put some wheel chocks under the front tires.

2) Jack the rear tires off the ground

3) Put the transmission in neutral.

4) Turn the drive shaft until a rear tire makes a full revolution.

5) If the driveshaft made 4 complete turns you have a 4.1 ratio differential.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty pay somebody else to do it. I'm pretty sure that the VIN, the tags or the numbers on the rear end won't tell you anything about the gear ratio. My 1980 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup has a label in the glove box with all the vehicle specifications, it has a locking 4.1 differential.

If you only have one wheel in the air you’ll get 8.2 revolutions because of the spider gears.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
The innanet tells me to look at the sticker inside the driver’s door. It will give me a 2 digit code. The code will tell me the gear ratio.

P
Yep. Sticker inside door
Probably 3.73
Posted By: rost495 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
I've been studying the used market, I got a Tundra and an FJ Cruiser going away, Rough seas ahead. Voluntary repo's are through the roof, people are way under water on their loans, and they are handing their keys back and walking away. Avg car payment in 2016...459 mo, avg in 2023, 740. I have a friend who is a driver for a wholesale auto auction in Spokane, their business has dropped less than half in 6 months. Bottom line, there is a schidtload of cars on the market. Banks are getting nervous and wany out...they don't want the cars. Interest on used now I think is 14.9%. There should be a little bump in March when tax refunds start, but personally, in this market, I'd take the first serious cash offer, or wait it out. Lithia Motors? Sell your stock now.
What did you pay for the FJ? I'd almost buy a second one these days if the price was right.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
Aqua blue is a turn off
I’d give 11,200
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
They (OSB diesels) went absolutely stupid some years back as I’m sure you’ve obviously seen.

I’d list it high, $18k or so. If it doesn’t move, relist at a lower price.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Aqua blue is a turn off

Well hell, I was gonna gift it to you, but the color is a turn off.

P
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
The local vet had one exactly the same right down to the color. I'm sure it had over 350k when he sold it 5 years ago. I still see it up and down the highway often.
Posted By: Crockett305 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
I’d list it high, $18k or so. [/quote]

^^^
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
What are you guys going to do with this $20k old pickup?

#fuddmobile

(fwiw, I figure my black 2003 6.0 super cab F350 with 180k miles is worth about $10k)
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
I’m not doing anything with it. It’s an old POS. Lol.

Lots of folks love those things though. Started selling for crazy money a few years back.

All a sudden, broke dick mehican landscapers were pulling trailers with high dollar classics. They didn’t even know it!
Posted By: devnull Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
My recent experience with the new truck market tells me someone will pay a decent price for a truck like yours.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24

P
You had two choices, 3.73, or 4.10. The majority of Ford F250’s would’ve come with 3.73.F350 the majority 4.10.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
This isn't 2022 anymore, way less people paying stupid money for things they don't need. The color is probably the least desirable of all colors that year. 12-14k is what it would sell for here in Utah
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by rost495
What did you pay for the FJ? I'd almost buy a second one these days if the price was right.
I don't remember what I paid for the FJ, but when I put it on the market in March I'll ask 14K, 2007, 6sp manual, 95,000 mi, it should go quick.
There are a few on the market, but none with that low mileage.
Nephew has a '22 Dodge 2500, crew cab, with the Cummins. 32K miles.
Chevy dealership in Santa Fe offered 38,000 on trade in for a new 2500 gasser.
He bought it new in '22 , doesn't need the diesel, now. Gave 63K back then, IIRC.
Seems used trucks have devalued over the last couple of years.
https://www.4-wheelclassics.com/vehicles/922/2002-ford-f350-xlt-supercab

By the time you get this shipped to you depending where you are in the country It’s close to 31K what did that truck go for brand new in 2002? 39K to 41K ?… I paid 43k for my 2005 6.0 crew cab 8 foot bed. this guy has been around a long time. His price is his price. Sometimes they’re gone in a week. Sometimes they’re gone in three weeks but they’re always gone.
I don't remember what I paid for the FJ, but when I put it on the market in March I'll ask 14K, 2007, 6sp manual, 95,000 mi, it should go quick.

Send me some photos of your FJ and what are you looking to get for it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Help me price my truck - 01/23/24
I missed that. Thought you bought. If it was auto I might think about it. Wife has a tough time with standard unfortunately.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Help me price my truck - 01/24/24
There's a '96 on Marketplace in Eugene for $13,500.00. Same motor, same cab configuration, similar miles. I don't see any fender dings or tweaked bumper.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Help me price my truck - 01/24/24
I don’t FB so I missed it. 4x4 too?

Maybe I should buy it!

P
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Help me price my truck - 01/24/24
4x4 too?

P

Yep
Code in the door is 39, corresponds to 3.55.

P
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Help me price my truck - 01/24/24

I'd be interested in your FJ.

Bb
Any deals done on my thread are subject to a 5% fee.

P
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Help me price my truck - 01/28/24
Found one, similar, but mine’s 4x4 and this one isn’t.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/ctd/d/gladstone-1997-ford-250-f250-250-xlt/7709610985.html

P
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Help me price my truck - 01/28/24
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I'd be interested in your FJ.

Bb
Burley, I get up to Shoshone a couple times a year, I'll pm you before the next trip...not that far apart. Don't forget 5% buyers premium for pharmseller though.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Help me price my truck - 01/28/24
Damn straight.
© 24hourcampfire