Home
Long story short this goofball had popped her hip out 3 times since the week of Thanksgiving.

Three trips to the local vet and three trips to Billings(1800 miles total).
It's my wife's dog and she has been a trooper, drove to Billings twice by herself and once with her sister. I get to stay home and take care of the cows and our other three Rez mutts.

This is the dog, who as a very young puppy, was thrown out of a moving vehicle by some local dandies. She was picked up by a truck driver who saw her go flying out the window and we've had her ever since. She's an odd duck but my wife really loves her.

Anyway they got home a couple hours ago and I'm happy.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Dogs are more better than some people
Animal abusers should suffer the same fate as they inflict. Good on you and your wife Sam.
I don't have a dog that's ever looked that clean
Damn SamO. Hope she gets over that. 3X too many.
Geez. Poor girl been through hell. She luckily found her right parents.
What's up with her hip? Genetic or result of the injuries?
Poor pup, hope she heals well and strong.
She looks ready to snap at any moment!
A friend has a dog short a front leg.
Originally Posted by RufusG

Genetic, the only injury she had when we first got her was road rash on the top of her head.

Can the hip be fixed or will you always need to go get it popped back in place?
Vet in Billings did surgery, FHO?

As Jeff noticed she is a house dog and per the vet, given her bone structure that is what they recommended. I was afraid to even google it and read all the horror stories so can't elaborate on the procedure.
Would a local Chiropractor work on her?
Cutest beer bong I’ve ever seen Sam.
Good on you guys, I’d rather spend $$ on a dog than I would most humans, get more in return.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
+1
Ricardo, no, not really an option.

Jack, brotherman, this is my wife's deal, truth be known I'm not a huge fan of this dog(it's a little crazy from landing on it's head and getting weaned too young) but it's her money!

No virtue signaling from me.....lol
Dogs are better than MOST people. FIFY
What do you call her?
Glad she's doing well.

Also glad she makes your wife smile! smile
She hit the dog lottery with you all Sam.
I've never seen a poor vet.

No offense to any vets.

There is money in it.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

She'll eat your lunch Jim!

Lookout!

No offense to any vets.

There is money in it.

Especially when women are involved!....lol
Hope your pup get well.
We'd do anything for our pets
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Lookout!

No offense to any vets.

There is money in it.

I am not much better.

The money I have spent trying to save an animal.........

Lookout!

No offense to any vets.

There is money in it.

I am not much better.

Thought you shot yer dog with yer Glock.

Lookout!

No offense to any vets.

There is money in it.

I am not much better.

Thought you shot yer dog with yer Glock.

I didn't either.

It was a Sig.
This dog bill has temporarily halted my plans to order another Sig pistol.
My dog popped a hip out a little over a year ago. I could tell he was in tremendous pain and we took him to an emergency vet that evening. They supposedly popped the hip back into joint but did not inform me that the success rate for that procedure is just about nil, and they charged me about two grand for the treatment and an overnight stay. A couple of days later our local vet suggested a surgeon out in the county west of us, and he performed the FHO. That procedure involves cutting the ball end off the top of the femur, and letting scar tissue form to create what they call "a muscle joint." Rocky is a small dog, weighing in at about 28 pounds or so, and I was advised that smaller dogs do just fine with the FHO procedure. That all went pretty well.

Afterward, the surgeon wanted us to do "physical therapy" on Rocky and that involves stretching out that joint on a daily basis as the scar tissue forms. He demonstrated it in front of us, and Rocky screamed in pain and wanted to eat the surgeon's lunch. The wife and I talked about it, and because of our dog's background we decided to forego the physical therapy. Inflicting pain on him just wasn't an option because he likely would have lost all trust in us---and me especially. I'd invested far too much in getting this dog to trust me and I was not about to throw it out the window. I told the surgeon I'd take a gimpy dog who trusts me and loves me over a superdog who'd just as soon chew my leg off as eat from the bowl I set down. So, we let him do his own PT and now you'd never know he'd been severely crippled only a year ago. The little rascal practically does backflips at feeding time and is as happy as he can be...and we both love him to pieces. He's a great little dog.

I hate people who would do something that mean to a dog, and I'd likely go to hell for doing what would come naturally for me.

I'll bet you can make that dog adore you, Sam. A lot of gentle contact and soft-spoken reassurance can go a long, long way. It worked for me and was one of the best investments of time and effort I ever made.
Dogs are smart, when my wife was ill for a week last year, Lillyanne scarcely left her side.

And, as my Dad said, to train a dog, you have to smarter than the dog. laugh
Originally Posted by RiverRider
My dog popped a hip out a little over a year ago. I could tell he was in tremendous pain and we took him to an emergency vet that evening. They supposedly popped the hip back into joint but did not inform me that the success rate for that procedure is just about nil, and they charged me about two grand for the treatment and an overnight stay. A couple of days later our local vet suggested a surgeon out in the county west of us, and he performed the FHO. That procedure involves cutting the ball end off the top of the femur, and letting scar tissue form to create what they call "a muscle joint." Rocky is a small dog, weighing in at about 28 pounds or so, and I was advised that smaller dogs do just fine with the FHO procedure. That all went pretty well.

Afterward, the surgeon wanted us to do "physical therapy" on Rocky and that involves stretching out that joint on a daily basis as the scar tissue forms. He demonstrated it in front of us, and Rocky screamed in pain and wanted to eat the surgeon's lunch. The wife and I talked about it, and because of our dog's background we decided to forego the physical therapy. Inflicting pain on him just wasn't an option because he likely would have lost all trust in us---and me especially. I'd invested far too much in getting this dog to trust me and I was not about to throw it out the window. I told the surgeon I'd take a gimpy dog who trusts me and loves me over a superdog who'd just as soon chew my leg off as eat from the bowl I set down. So, we let him do his own PT and now you'd never know he'd been severely crippled only a year ago. The little rascal practically does backflips at feeding time and is as happy as he can be...and we both love him to pieces. He's a great little dog.

I hate people who would do something that mean to a dog, and I'd likely go to hell for doing what would come naturally for me.

I'll bet you can make that dog adore you, Sam. A lot of gentle contact and soft-spoken reassurance can go a long, long way. It worked for me and was one of the best investments of time and effort I ever made.

Great info, thank you. Something for me to think about and will certainly share with my wife because she was just talking about the physical therapy treatment.
Ricardo, no, not really an option.

Jack, brotherman, this is my wife's deal, truth be known I'm not a huge fan of this dog(it's a little crazy from landing on it's head and getting weaned too young) but it's her money!

No virtue signaling from me.....lol

Please the wife - they let men live indoors, and feed us warm meals!
Please don't take it as a well informed recommendation, Sam. I'm no vet, and I'm sure you know animals way better than I do...but that's how it worked out for us. I hope it goes well for y'all as well, whatever you do. Your vet/surgeon would probably give it to you straight.
Brother Sam, it's better to spend money on a pup than the bars..... smile
River, I totally gotcha and appreciate the experience.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Brother Sam, it's better to spend money on a pup than the bars..... smile

For sure brother Fubes!

No offense to any vets.

There is money in it.
Especially small animal vets. No 2 AM callouts either!
I have seem some braces that go over a dog's leg and supports the hip and hock. Have any of the vets mentioned those as additional help?
Glad you all got her straightened out Sam. Hopefully this fix lasts.

I'm a sucker for a good pooch. This one is laying beside me watching me swill miller lite at the moment
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nothin wrong with loving a dog. Even better deal to love a good wife that loves a dog and the rewards are probably better. <grin>

Hope she stays healed for everyone’s benefits and pocketbooks.
Originally Posted by ironbender

No offense to any vets.

There is money in it.
Especially small animal vets. No 2 AM callouts either!
Our cowdoc always treated us real fair, as in cheap. I quizzed him about it. He told me that cows were cheap to fix or die. Horses, little lap dogs and fancy cats is what he got well greased on.
Had to just laugh.
We had a female German Shepard that decided flying out the side window of our camper was a good idea ( I previously installed a cross bar to prevent this but somehow she squeezed her way out and took the Far Side challenge at 70 mph. Dislocated hip and some serious hamburger on the head and ass, but better than expected. Years later the hip was shot so had the hip ball removed as mentioned above and she did great for the rest of her life, made it to 13. It wasn't cheap but worked amazingly well.
You never know what you get with Rez dogs...We got one that is mostly Dutch Shepherd, I think, maybe full blood, and she is the best dog I've ever had. Have another one that looks like your white pup, and she is crazy as heck, and really goofy. Always getting into stuff around the house and chewing stuff up, can't seem to break her of any bad habits she has. Took weeks to potty train her and she still has accidents sometimes...
Dog hips can be a pain.........especially in large breads.
The lab in my pic had issues so bad we had to put him down. Pretty sad to watch.....we'd help him up and his hind legs would immediately cross.

Hope your pup gets well sam.
As our daughter says, a small dog does not know it's a small dog.
Patti Page, "How much us that doggy in the window?'
Our first ever inside the house dog is a bed hog.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by RufusG

Genetic, the only injury she had when we first got her was road rash on the top of her head.

A long agonizing death be upon the a-holes that chucked that pup out the window...

Good on you and the wife for caring for it.

And for future reference, the line goes: "Better stay away from him, he'll rip your lungs out Jim" wink
Time and money well spent.Dogs are the best, glad she is doing ok!

Now the low life that tossed her out the window is another story.
© 24hourcampfire