Home
Posted By: papalondog Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
What is the best mouse poison for the little buggers. We have one in our shop that has hauled off or eaten about 2 pounds of our vole poison. Too small to set off traps. Had to put a trail cam up to see what was going on. Help!
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Cat
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Get those sticky pads.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOMCAT-...Ready-To-Use-4-Traps-036271005/300934024
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Set your trap fine.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Peanut butter on the trigger, just a bit top and bottom.
If need be, wrap cheese cloth or something similar around the peanut butter.

What is vole poison.

I use mouse poison in stations to kill voles.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Or flour.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
6.5 Creedmoor
Posted By: smallfry Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Victor Tincat or snap traps. Why are they there? Food source and nesting?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Contrac.

Need to put it in bait boxes though, pets will get into it and it will kill them.

Isn't cheap.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Used to use D con pouches in a margarine tub with doors cut in it.
Posted By: longarm Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Battling that same thing here on this side of the valley. Bad time of year for rats and mice.
Don't put out poison cakes though.. They just crawl off under somewhere and rot and it really does stink like the end of the world.
Old school traps with peanut butter, sticky pads, enclosed bait stations are better.
Posted By: 673 Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
You need Commercial grade Rodenticide of some kind.
Posted By: rong Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Peanut butter is good,put some on the top and bottom of trigger plates.
Make it so they have to work at getting to it.
You'll get'em.
Glue boards work also
Posted By: reivertom Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by papalondog
What is the best mouse poison for the little buggers. We have one in our shop that has hauled off or eaten about 2 pounds of our vole poison. Too small to set off traps. Had to put a trail cam up to see what was going on. Help!

We had a terrible problem in our deer camp. I got one of the made in USA, "Walk the Plank" mouse traps that you put on a 5 gallon bucket (Ebay), and I soon had our cabin pretty much mouse free after a couple weeks. You can set the sensitivity with a screw for the tiny buggers. If you are going to check it every day, just use water with cheap cooking oil on top of it. The cooking oil suffocates them pretty quick. Make the water too deep for them to hit bottom. I baited it with peanut butter. At our camp, I used RV antifreeze in cold weather. It actually sort of "pickled" them and they didn't stink up the place if you checked it once a week. The best things about these type traps is, they re-set themselves after ever mouse and you can catch a bunch at once.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24

Not sure you can get it there, here "Mouse off" is the go in the paddock...DO NOT use it in or around habitation as it is bloody dangerous.

LINK
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24

The best Mouse Killer system I have found is Kraft Peanut Butter with simple mouse traps. Mice LOVE Peanut Butter and can not resist!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Not sure you can get it there, here "Mouse off" is the go in the paddock...DO NOT use it in or around habitation as it is bloody dangerous.

LINK

Sounds like our aluminum phosphide fumigant.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Glue traps n peanuts
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Jim, is that the chit that smells like garlic?

Used to treat grain for bugs?

I must thinking of something else, I've used a bunch of weevil-cide.

Nope just googled.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Any of this stuff

https://tomcatbrand.com/en-us/shop/traps/
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Nope just googled.

Yep.

It's horrible stuff.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
And here I quit whiskey years ago for health reason.

Damn it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
I like the snap traps myself. There’s something about hearing them go….POP. You know you got one. 😁
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Been using cake stuff in cases when we can find it around here.

So far there has been no stink from those that have eaten of that green cube.
It's apparent y'all haven't been around mice palaces. We had a duck camp that had thousands in it. So many, you could stomp 10-12 a night of you weren't drinking heavily.

Contrac wiped em out
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Build a bucket trap.

https://pestkill.org/mice/bucket-trap/
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
I do not understand the "too small to set off traps" bit. I use Victor rat traps out in the woodshed and catch mice with them all the time.

Not only peanut butter, but pinch a raisin on that trigger, kinda mash it into the cutouts, then spread peanut butter on that. Works really good it seems if the raisin gets dried out and hard as the little bastids have to work at it, no licking it off the trigger.

And I use a product called RatX and MouseX, kills mice and rats without harming other things..........supposedly.

And Shake Away or Fresh Cab repellent. Especially under vehicle hoods, seems to work pretty well in the woodshed too as I only catch a few mice every winter now.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by JamesJr
6.5 Creedmoor

Over penetration.
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Cat

Then ya gotta kill that.
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

Looks like it'd work, but it's worthless as tits on a boar hog.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Tomcat brand pellets work well for me, but they will die and stink. Be careful if you have pets that might eat them.

The spinning wheel of death bucket trap works well and use antifeeze in the bottom to embalm them and stop stink. Use soapy water or ??? if you have pets around that may drink the antifreeze.

I may make a bunch of "walk the plank" traps since the bucket lids get thrown, but they may block pets from getting at the antifreeze.

Gotta use glycol antifreeze and not RV stuff.
If its educated to traps Mix up Jiffy Mix sweet cornbread Mix 50/50 with plaster of Paris.

Put a shallow pan of water nearby.

Don't let dogs or cats get it.

OTOH, let the cats get it. wink
Posted By: humdinger Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Bucket traps are effective. Use antifreeze and they work all year round in unattended buildings.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
The little green blocks you get at tractor supply work better if you put out a pan of water for the little critters
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Get somma this from co-op / feed store.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ive found dead mice a few feet away from it. Works on rats also.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
I use a combination of Jiffy cornbread mix (with honey) and equal part of baking soda. Mix them up and put into a container that a mouse can get into. Mice can't fart and the baking soda will wreck their insides. I've used it in my barn and ranch house with good success.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
For snap traps, I take a cracker and break off a piece about 1/2 - 3/4”. Then I shape that piece into an hourglass and tie it to the trigger with a bit of peanut butter on it. It you tie the cracker piece to the trigger they can’t pull it off without triggering the trap.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Snap traps with a piece of Snickers candy bar for bait .
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Napalm for the dinky rodent - smells like victory afterwards.
Posted By: poboy Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
"Just One Bite" from the feed store .They usually leave and die.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Mine has worked for me several times. I put RV anti-freeze in the bucket.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I like the snap traps myself. There’s something about hearing them go….POP. You know you got one. 😁

I get satisfaction from seeing their little heads caved in under the bar.

But as for the poison I use the TomCat stuff in the tractors, combine, and pickup. I have found lots of dead mices in the shop and machine shed but never a dead one in one of my vehicles.

I’ve heard they are in search of water when they croak. No clue if that’s true or not but it sounds good to me.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Baking soda and cornbread mix, glue traps.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by JamesJr
6.5 Creedmoor

Over penetration.
Kentucky mice are bigger than Texas mine. Need the extra penetration
Posted By: ModelT Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Decon pellets.
Posted By: trplem Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Snap traps and two high test felines. I'm not sure how they avoid popping the traps themselves, but they do. The only drawback is the occasional dead mouse in the house. Having grown up with a barn cat that had a four figure body count that we knew about, no big deal.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Final works best, for me. I’ve tried Contrac, and it works, but the blocks are waxier, and have less grain than the Contrac. They “take” to the Final better/more quickly.

Google “brodifacoum”, and “Rat Island”. The Feds used the stuff to eliminate rats on an entire island.

https://www.iwla.org/publications/o...Issue-2/chemotherapy-for-island-wildlife
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Mouse Poison - 01/30/24
Bucket Trap

Posted By: RickinTN Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Anti-freeze in a plastic coffee can top or similar. They can’t resist and drink themselves to death.
Rick
Posted By: tripod3 Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
https://www.amazon.com/Intruder-304...287CBB02TgR2EAQYASABEgKCo_D_BwE&th=1

I use these traps putting peanut butter in the lid above trip plate, so they step on plate to reach.

Also use a 20 gal feed supplement bucket with 2" wheat in bottom and a plank up to rim. last time got 16 mice in shop next to truck.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
I still prefer Mother natures cure. A good cat or two. They can patiently sit and watch for hours, if they hear a mouse.
Don't feed the barn cat's too much. Plus, I like cat's, dogs not so much. Too noisy and always need to take them out.

Added benefit of cat: Cut down on those noisy song birds, that like to wake me at 5:00 AM!
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Boy it sucks to be getting old. Too lazy to walk across the room to get my readers, so I sat here wondering WTF anyone would want to poison a moose?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
To use poisoned bait like "just one bite" outside near entrances without having to worry about animals I don't want to poison, I put some of the bait into a 2" pvc pipe (about 8" long) with one end capped and put a removable cap with a mouse sized hole on the other end. They will eat it and go die. Add bait as needed.
Posted By: longarm Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Poisson mousse?!
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Some of the rat poisons are really bad. Kills rat, dog eats rat……dead dog according to some vets. I just use traps.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Nope just googled.

Yep.

It's horrible stuff.

Yep - be careful with that stuff!
We use it for educated/resistant prairie dogs. I've been sickened by it once or twice. BAD stuff!
Previous owner of my brother's place lost a hired hand to it, didn't get him to the hospital quick enough.
I'm told it basically puts off mustard gas. Dunno for sure, but it can be deadly!
Posted By: garyh9900 Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
Some of the rat poisons are really bad. Kills rat, dog eats rat……dead dog according to some vets. I just use traps.
It most certainly can. My neighbor breeds shepherds, they lost 2 who were chewing on a poisoned rat.
Posted By: Reba Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Not only will poison kill pets from secondary poisoning (eating the animal that eats the pioson) it will also kill raptors.

We have a terrible rat problem and have traps everywhere, BUT the only way to get rid of the problem is several barn cats raised by a rodent killing mother.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I do not understand the "too small to set off traps" bit. I use Victor rat traps out in the woodshed and catch mice with them all the time.

Not only peanut butter, but pinch a raisin on that trigger, kinda mash it into the cutouts, then spread peanut butter on that. Works really good it seems if the raisin gets dried out and hard as the little bastids have to work at it, no licking it off the trigger.

And I use a product called RatX and MouseX, kills mice and rats without harming other things..........supposedly.

And Shake Away or Fresh Cab repellent. Especially under vehicle hoods, seems to work pretty well in the woodshed too as I only catch a few mice every winter now.

Raisin on a Victor Trap as above.

Mash the raisin on the bait holder so it's opened up[smell].
They can't resist.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
Papalongdog: I agree with DillonBuck - peanut butter spread liberally on a mouse traps trigger.
That'll get'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: coat4gun Re: Mouse Poison - 01/31/24
I do the raisin hooked in the bait holder and then smear with peanut butter. Have had them lick off the peanut butter and not set off the trap without the hooked raisin. With the raisin under the peanut butter, they get all giddy and forget themselves and just yank on the raisin once the peanut butter is gone to get it out and WHAM. Dead mouse. Caught many with this set.
© 24hourcampfire