Home
I am interested in getting a custom knife made. I know very little about knife makers, but that there seems to be many of them. So instead of wasting the next week on the internet researching things I am kindly asking for recommendations of makers to talk to.

I have a general idea of what I want:
1. a Bob Loveless style drop point hunter, or something very close to it
2. really good steel
3. a little more contemporary or modern look. Not exactly sure how to define it. I do not want stag or ivory handles, no mirror chrome finish
4. a nice sheath for a lefty

Here is a photo of the general design I am looking for. Thank you

[Linked Image]
Gene Ingram knives, out of Georgia I believe. I have one, very good knife.
The knife\blade forum below has many excellent makers.
Originally Posted by Txtrpr

He was injured and no longer takes custom orders. Just what he wants to build when he wants to build.

But yeah, I’ve got a dozen. They’re great.
Tim Olt (Michiganroadkill) here on the fire. He can fix you up.
You could reach out to Godogs57 here on the fire. He makes some nice knives.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Txtrpr

He was injured and no longer takes custom orders. Just what he wants to build when he wants to build.

But yeah, I’ve got a dozen. They’re great.

Did not know that, thanks for update.
Todd Thayn

Thayn Custom Knives
This fella is crazy good (Czech)

http://www.vdknife.cz/Lovecke/349-No-634-Semi-skinner-D2-Micarta

tuskbuster , member here on the 24fire makes great knives, I have two.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/15782/tuskbuster
Wayne Hendrix out of Allendale SC.
My advice is to “waste” the week and look at them all. There are lots of good craftsmen who do fine work. All of them have access to good steel. IMO, knife makers are artists working with metal. Small differences in lines, curves and dimensions can set them apart. Go to their websites and look at their work. Some will jump out at you.

I got a Dozier knife from AG Russell that I really like. Then I picked up a Tim Olt skinner that I use a lot. Then…., well, you understand. My idea was to replace a box of knives with one very cool one. Didn’t work out that way. Now I’ve got a box of cool ones and am still always looking. 🫤
Originally Posted by cotis
I am interested in getting a custom knife made. I know very little about knife makers, but that there seems to be many of them. So instead of wasting the next week on the internet researching things I am kindly asking for recommendations of makers to talk to.

2. really good steel
3. a little more contemporary or modern look. Not exactly sure how to define it. I do not want stag or ivory handles, no mirror chrome finish

Here is a photo of the general design I am looking for. Thank you

[Linked Image]

Bark River may have a model which interests you.
No one better than our own Michigan Road Kill here at 24hour. I have several of his and if you don't like what he makes I will buy it from you.

Here is one he made for me.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

And that steel is tougher than woodpecker lips.

2. really good steel

Budget?
Busse infi steel.
Charles May and David Winston should both be mentioned here.

http://charlesmayknives.com/home/

http://winstonknives.blademakers.com/home/
Originally Posted by Pat85
Wayne Hendrix out of Allendale SC.

Yep
Originally Posted by Esox357
Busse infi steel.

Nope
I 2nd Tim.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
No one better than our own Michigan Road Kill here at 24hour. I have several of his and if you don't like what he makes I will buy it from you.

Wow, that is beautiful. I will reach out to him
They all make beautiful knives using high end steel. I have two of Tim’s ( michiganroadkill).

The few days of searching for what you’d like isn’t wasted, IMO.

You are correct, you may find cheaper but you won't find better. Tim doesn't live to far from me and I've seen his operation, he makes all his stuff old school and does a hell of a job.

I bought a Bowie from him and the thing is flawless, I just have to convince myself to use it instead of drooling over it.

He's a conservative, a hunter, and a fisherman. He lives the life and makes great stuff.
And Don't for get Mike Miller here on the fire!
Originally Posted by saddlering

Not sure who that is. I see a "Mike E Miller" in the user list. Same person?
Steingass or May.

Nice.

I especially like the fitting of the scales.

I had no idea that MRK was a knife maker.
Have knives made by Dan Thornburg (Dan308), Charles May and Rick Menefee. All are highly functional Works of Art.

Not sure who that is. I see a "Mike E Miller" in the user list. Same person?

Yes. I’ve got two kitchen knives from him. Dad’s got a hunting knife or two. Good guy.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Steingass or May.
Steingass is superb
Winston knives are a great value
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Steingass or May.
Steingass is superb
Winston knives are a great value

I believe Winston has someone else make his sheaths but they’re second to none. The leather quality on both of mine is fantastic.
Most of my customs are from Kim Ralston out of MS. Mike Barranti makes his leather items. Both do great work and are great to work with.
Tim Olt or Godogs57.
Trey Preslar

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Baumgart (may be out of it now)

Tim Olt makes wonderful knives. My other 'go to' maker is Rick Menefee. This is a Loveless style drop point by him.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Bordentown Blades.
Bordentown Blades I meant
Da. Bordertown
Make sure to purchase a knife made of steel that you have the ability to sharpen, which is obviously purely based on your sharpening system/technique.
You can't go wrong with a Loveless design.

It could be one of the most emulated knife designs in modern knife making history.

Here is one that I bought from my uncle.Unfortunately this maker has passed on but his knife remains as a hallmark of his expertise.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good luck in your search.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Tim Olt makes wonderful knives. My other 'go to' maker is Rick Menefee. This is a Loveless style drop point by him.

Between Rick, Tim, and Godogs57, you can't go wrong.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Between Rick, Tim, and Godogs57, you can't go wrong.
Many thanks…
Originally Posted by Journeyman

2. really good steel

Budget?

Cotis,

You've gotten feedback on some great makers (though at least 4 are retired or semi-retired.)

By my count only 3 left standing actually make a knife similar to what you're looking for IF you truly want a Loveless style drop point/hollow ground/tapered tang/soldered guard per your picture. Couple of my friends from the "Knives and Blades" forum waaaay down at the bottom here, that you might not have known existed, have PM'd that they are staying out of this based on how the thread has segued from your actual question: i.e. "a knife maker to make a knife like this" in a "really good steel." These guys are seasoned experts and could really help you if you refine your parameters:

1.) Budget?, again as I asked above.
2.) Is it just the Loveless Drop Point blade shape or the full menu (guard/soldered/tapered tang/hollow grind? you're after?
3.) What, to you, constitutes "a really good steel?"
Yes Mike E Miller!, makes his own sheaths too very nice!
Yes Mike E Miller!, makes his own sheaths too very nice!

+1

2. really good steel

Budget?

Cotis,

You've gotten feedback on some great makers (though at least 4 are retired or semi-retired.)

By my count only 3 left standing actually make a knife similar to what you're looking for IF you truly want a Loveless style drop point/hollow ground/tapered tang/soldered guard per your picture. Couple of my friends from the "Knives and Blades" forum waaaay down at the bottom here, that you might not have known existed, have PM'd that they are staying out of this based on how the thread has segued from your actual question: i.e. "a knife maker to make a knife like this" in a "really good steel." These guys are seasoned experts and could really help you if you refine your parameters:

1.) Budget?, again as I asked above.
2.) Is it just the Loveless Drop Point blade shape or the full menu (guard/soldered/tapered tang/hollow grind? you're after?
3.) What, to you, constitutes "a really good steel?"

Journeyman,
These are good questions. I do not have exact answers, but will number them as you asked.

1. Budget - I am seeing knives in the $250-$300 range. For the details and features I want that would be a steal. I fully expect to pay much more than that.
2. I am not stuck on this EXACT design. I like the general concept, but I am so far from an expert on designs it is not even funny. I believe my wants fall more into the "full menu". I want to have productive conversations with a quality knife builder and create something that both of us will be proud of
3. Again, talking out my ass. Probably something more than D2. There are so many good options and I am sure a good builder knows that and what he/she likes to use.

Thank you
Make sure to purchase a knife made of steel that you have the ability to sharpen, which is obviously purely based on your sharpening system/technique.

I am fortunate that my friend has several thousand dollars tied up in a Tormek with every accessory and japanese water stones and a bunch of stuff I don't even know what he is talking about. He really went down the rabbit hole getting all the fancy stuff to sharpen knives. Think there is even a unicorn to pee on it for lubrication
You can’t go wrong with Tim Olt and his pricing is way lower than you’d expect to pay.
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
You can’t go wrong with Tim Olt and his pricing is way lower than you’d expect to pay.

I have a PM dialog going with him. Thank you
Originally Posted by CRJ1960

I have a PM dialog going with him. Thank you

Good choice.

Mike Miller does his Cowboy model, a slender’er pattern with bolsters.
Skyblade knives are very nice also...you can google it and find the web site.
Originally Posted by Robb10238
Most of my customs are from Kim Ralston out of MS. Mike Barranti makes his leather items. Both do great work and are great to work with.

I cannot find contact information for Kim Ralston. Can someone please share? Sounds like he is close enough to me that I could visit in person.
I have my knives made by Lin Rhea out of Prattsville, AR. He has a lot of his sheaths made by Kenny Rowe from Hope, AR. Lin has a reputation for making some really nice Bowie knives but also makes a variety of other styles. I really enjoy going into the forge & watching him work. It’s nice to see a skilled craftsman plying his trade.

For hunters wanting a "using knife", you will be hard pressed to improve on McCrosky knives. You will skin and bone out half a dozen elk before you have to touch up the knife. A friend skinned 300 beaver before he had to sharpen his.
Check out this guy. I know him personally, LEO with Phoenix PD, works with my son. Does phenomenal work.

https://jmcquillan.com/

https://www.instagram.com/j.mcquillan_az/
Dan Thornburg, he posts lots of his work here as Dan308:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/19179474/1
© 24hourcampfire