Home
Posted By: Teal Where will it end - 02/08/24
Wondering where this auction will end up. The BGN was a serious car when I was a kid - lots of people with money now and nostalgia.

Bring a Trailer - 3600 miles, BGN from 87
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
I turned 16 during the BGN’s production. I was into hot rods and was obsessed with it. I almost had my folks talked into buying it and letting me work and pay part of it off, until they called our insurance agent. That dream ended right then and there.
Posted By: Westman Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Certainly was a sleeper.
Posted By: Osky Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
I’m skeptical that having originated in Minnesota per title and spending time in that country there hasn’t been rust issues.
Sure could be wrong.
Is that a high price or low… hi to me already, just doesn’t catch my eye. To some it may be priceless.
GLWS.

Osky
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Originally Posted by Osky
I’m skeptical that having originated in Minnesota per title and spending time in that country there hasn’t been rust issues.
Sure could be wrong.
Is that a high price or low… hi to me already, just doesn’t catch my eye. To some it may be priceless.
GLWS.

Osky

I'm sure the 3600 miles it has on it weren't driven on snow/salted roads, but I could be wrong. Maybe that's the only time they got it out. 😁
Posted By: Huntz Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Sure could be wrong.
GLWS.

Osky
With 3600 miles I doubt it was ever driven in winter .
Posted By: Raeford Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Had a same era Cutlas Calais......Total POS
Posted By: Teal Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
I had an 89 Cutlass Supreme - had the v6, NA and that thing would scoot to the governed speed of 126 pretty quick. Wasn't the big boxy ones, the next gen that looked more like a modern car.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Originally Posted by Teal
I had an 89 Cutlass Supreme - had the v6, NA and that thing would scoot to the governed speed of 126 pretty quick. Wasn't the big boxy ones, the next gen that looked more like a modern car.

Thinking more, my CC was early/mid 80's.
Underpowered doesn't fully describe it, but that was still fairly early on in the emissions deal and all of the big 3 were struggling with it.
But it was a nice looking ride.
Posted By: Osky Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Originally Posted by Huntz
Sure could be wrong.
GLWS.

Osky
With 3600 miles I doubt it was ever driven in winter .

I understand. However storing an auto that long in Minnesota you have the humidity to deal with both periodically and overall average. My stored vehicles are on special pads to prevent condensation coming thru and from the concrete plus dehumidified environment. Just covering a vehicle does very little over this timeframe.
On the other side of the coin maybe this vehicle was treated with that care and I’m wrong.

Osky
Original titled in MN and then did 30 years in Oregon followed up by 2 years in California - so 5 years in MN? I could see it not having an issue if simply stored indoors that long 87-92.

The underbody picture doesn't really show any rust at all.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
107,000 to 120 grand, somewhere in there. That’s my guess.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Ppl got more money than sense
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Nah....if I had that kind of money I would drive the shìt outta that thing.

Run it into the ground and get another one.

People who buy things to just to look at and tell people about are weird.
Posted By: SenderoMan Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Got a chance to ride in one of those in the early 90's. Barely bark the tires off the line, but damn, set you back in the seat from there to the end of the 1/4 mile!

I wouldn't be above 100k for a car that makes me happy. A BGN probably isn't it tho.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24

I wouldn't be above 100k for a car that makes me happy. A BGN probably isn't it tho.

What about a GS?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

What about a GS?

Probably not - I'm not a GM guy. I wouldn't pay 100k for it but for a "fun car" - a Terminator Mustang would be high on the shopping list. Along with modern ones like a GT500.

Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Originally Posted by BamBam
107,000 to 120 grand, somewhere in there. That’s my guess.

I was going to say $115k. I think you’re right on it, BamBam. Comparable GNX were $50-75k higher but the market softened some. This is probably about as good an example as is out there. They should have sold it about 18mo ago. Would have gotten about $25k more.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Google the top sale price holee fuqk😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Some guy in Michigan did builds on these Buicks, they turned low 10 second 1/4 mile. < That was extremely fast for the late 80's -90's.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
I never liked the body stile. and a V-6 .
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Where will it end - 02/08/24
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24
I guy that lived next to the mechanics shop I worked at right out of high school had a grand national. It wasn't too impressive at take off but it got serious once it was wound up. They were really neat cars
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I never liked the body stile. and a V-6 .

V6. Pfffft.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24

What about a GS?
My Aunt drove a 71 Buick Skylark GS Stage 1, as a pilot car. Big "Wide Load" sign and flashing lights strapped to the roof. LOL. HO 455 and Turbo 400. Now, there's a hot rod.

It is sad that any American V6 even gets mentioned as a performance car. Yes, the GN performed better than many V8 motors of the era, but that is very faint praise.
Posted By: EdM Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24

What about a GS?

Probably not - I'm not a GM guy. I wouldn't pay 100k for it but for a "fun car" - a Terminator Mustang would be high on the shopping list. Along with modern ones like a GT500.

The current Mach 1 has tempted me to sell my 2017 Boxster S. Then not given the knock on performance.
Posted By: Teal Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24
A day with this...

Posted By: ol_mike Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24

What about a GS?
Grand Sport.
Posted By: Teal Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24
92 Typhoon - Lingenfelter style

Another "quick car" from the old days.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24
Not mine.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Colorado14er Re: Where will it end - 02/09/24
There are 3 cars I regret selling in my life.

1. A 1987 Buick Grand National - Bought the car off my ex mother in law for $1. It had belonged to my father in law and after he passed, she let me buy it. Traded it for a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce.

2. 1966 Mustang - V8, pony interior, robins egg blue. Ex-wife bought it at 18 with money she inherited from an aunt. Sold it because we wanted something more practical.

3. 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - Last year without emissions. Looked, drove and ran like new. Sold it when my daughter was born because I needed a back seat for the child seat.

If only I had known.....
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Where will it end - 02/10/24
We gave our daughter the 67 Mustang I bought new 13 May. 67.
Posted By: Aagaardsporter Re: Where will it end - 02/10/24
Flint TV 12 showed a Black Grand National at the current Chrome and Ice car show tonight. Less than 5k miles on it. Mice built a nest in the catalytic converter and it caught on fire when they tried to load it on a trailer for a car show last year.

I wonder if the BGNs were assembled at the now long gone Buick City plant NE corner of Flint.
© 24hourcampfire