Home
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What's not to like
Originally Posted by swamphunter
What's not to like

That wooden log running though the middle of the chimney is a concern.
Is there a two holer around there somewhere?
Originally Posted by Sprint11
What's not to like

smirk That's petrified wood you crazy thing, cain't burn ... smile
Beautiful. The layout I really like. A couple of under counter fridge/freezers I hope.

If the griddle is fired by wood as it appear I’d have that converted to gas. I like mine to fire up fast and heat evenly.

People are creative.

Osky
Cash or others, is that a pre-made double step fascia product? Or wrapped stepped wood?
Its sharp and if it’s pre formed product I’ve not seen it before.

Osky
That’s a very nice setup from what I can see. Wish I had a place like that.
Very nice.
Pretty, not terribly practical.
Originally Posted by Osky
Cash or others, is that a pre-made double step fascia product? Or wrapped stepped wood?

Osky
Just an artists rendition. Not sure if they represent specific products or just a “look”.
What's not to like

I would not want the grill in the back either. I'd have the ceiling black and grease dripping off it in 2 seasons or less.

Osky

my guess double step fascia wood and a drip edge metal over roof extending down over the upper fascia.....bob
have done a lot of stuff like this....bob
Yes
What's not to like

There’s got to be more going on there than what we’re seeing.

Very cool looking outdoor kitchen Cash.
Needs more cooking options.

Kamado
Off set smoker
Santa Maria style grill

As said earlier, needs fridges and maybe an built in cooler.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What's not to like

I would not want the grill in the back either. I'd have the ceiling black and grease dripping off it in 2 seasons or less.

If it didn’t burn, first!

Wouldn’t put the sinks there, either, if the intention is to eat at the counter.

The wood storage is an odd use of space, as well.

I’d certainly would want more fridge / freezer / pantry / china space

It’s more of a patio with a grill than a kitchen, but sure is purdy……
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

That's cool... post some pics if you like.

I have not.

Seen a couple of neat cabanas in the Keys, Carib and Panama.

Back burner project... maybe.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

That's cool... post some pics if you like.

I have not.

Seen a couple of neat cabanas in the Keys, Carib and Panama.

Back burner project... maybe.

if you want to show an outdoor cooking area that will get a lot of likes and not so much criticism on here cash. show a 10x50 single wide with the wall cut out where the kitchen/dining room is with opaque plastic put up for a barrier against the elements ....bob
What's not to like

Quite likely it's just a piece hung on the outside of the chimney for looks.
... if you want to show an outdoor cooking area that will get a lot of likes and not so much criticism on here cash. show a 10x50 single wide with the wall cut out where the kitchen/dining room is with opaque plastic put up for a barrier against the elements ....bob

Huh?
A lot of pretty elaborate ones around here.
... if you want to show an outdoor cooking area that will get a lot of likes and not so much criticism on here cash. show a 10x50 single wide with the wall cut out where the kitchen/dining room is with opaque plastic put up for a barrier against the elements ....bob

Huh?

Cash....you post a killer patio/outdoor cooking area....a really nice place, and people immediately start to criticize it and not appreciate it for what it is.....hence my suggestion on what maybe more appealing to a lot of folks...bob
What's not to like

AI don't care!
I really like it. It does look like a haven for mice and other critters though.
What's not to like
Trying to use it when it's -30F??? Or when the winds are 20mph++.

It's very nice, but up here it'd be basically worthless..

Huh?

Cash....you post a killer patio/outdoor cooking area....a really nice place, and people immediately start to criticize it and not appreciate it for what it is.....hence my suggestion on what maybe more appealing to a lot of folks...bob
If it's non-functional it's simply a waste of $$. Doesn't matter what it looks like.

The pictured cooking area is good as a first draft, not a final product.
I think it looks well thought out. RZ.
Cajuns have a lot of outdoor kitchens at their homes. Men get together and have cookins. That are mostly beer drinkins. Thing is it is warm enough most of the year to do it there.
I would have designed the roof to include the sitting area at the bar/counter. Nobody wants to sit in the rain, or hot sun.
And when those chairs are actually being used, there is not enough room for anyone to walk past/behind them without risk of falling off that deck.
Our neighbor has one very similar to that. It’s a bit like having a swimming pool in this part of the world. You can enjoy it those few weeks of the year between it being too hot and being too cold.
Wind with rain might be a problem.
Good grief AI gonna fugg most you boomsticks up. 😂🤣😂
A pizza oven incorporated in there someplace would be pretty darn cool.
First glance says it's awesome.

A longer look reveals it to be a train wreck. Great artist though.
Beautiful, only thing for me would be more overhang to keep the weather off the bar area. Nice colors.

Osky
Originally Posted by Sycamore
What's not to like

AI don't care!

built up 2x12 with a 2x8 with a 2x4 . or 1x stock.
i have a friend that can build up any number of profiles rather than have them milled by a factory.

Norm

Nice. You thinking of building something at your place like this? Images like this always bring good thoughts to me. My mind wanders off into times past sitting outside around a fire and good company watching the stars and having good conversations.
Originally Posted by norm99

Osky
Originally Posted by Sycamore
What's not to like

AI don't care!

built up 2x12 with a 2x8 with a 2x4 . or 1x stock.
i have a friend that can build up any number of profiles rather than have them milled by a factory.

Norm

defiantly built up... aka nailing them together. but the last piece in the ensemble looks to have a drip edge. if it was a 2x4 I think it would have a shadow line like the second piece displays.....I cant blow the picture up so that's my guess...bob
Rez bougge?
Here's one we built for a client:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Nice. You thinking of building something at your place like this? Images like this always bring good thoughts to me. My mind wanders off into times past sitting outside around a fire and good company watching the stars and having good conversations.

Back burner thing...

Like you... I enjoy the thinking about.
Originally Posted by kolofardos

Very Nice work!

Very Nice work!

Thanks!
I have a dream to add something to a small cabin I am building. I really appreciate the critic posts that highlight some of the mistakes.

nice and clean...bob
I just don't understand putting the money into it, if you're only option for cooking is a gas grill. If you are gonna spend 30,40,50K, put in some more tools.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I just don't understand putting the money into it, if you're only option for cooking is a gas grill. If you are gonna spend 30,40,50K, put in some more tools.

50k would be a good down payment......bob
Looks nice, but we'd have to bundle up to stay out there for 9 months out of the year. That, and the plumbing would have to heated or winterized.
As others have already noted, it does look really nice and would be a great feature when it is not raining, snowing, or if mosquitoes were not an issue. I have seen several such kitchens, but they were well under a tall roof and sometimes screened in. Propane heaters might be a good option, if the weather is not too cold. I have seen some with a hot tub and outdoor shower off to the side as well, but this was all under a large roofed area off the back of a house. In my opinion, if you are not going to build it large enough and with enough usable features, both for convenience and for weather considerations, it could be a serious waste of money. Personally, for my fantasy home, I would love to have a functional area like this.
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Back burner thing...

Like you... I enjoy the thinking about.
My list of back burners is as long as my other list! Good to keep the mind occupied though.
Summer kitchens were fairly common back when.

Huh?

I don’t think anyone is a schitting on it. Just that that specific layout needs some work.

As mentioned the seating area is uncovered, the counter in front of the seats has two big sinks right in front of them, the booze shelves directly over the gas grill, the fireplace where the only one that get any heat from it is the guy standing in front of the grill….

It’s pretty. Needs some layout tweaks. Nothing huge though.

I’m starting on a kinda similar cabana this spring. Quite a bit simpler though. Haven’t settled on a shed roof or a low gable roof yet.

Huh?

Copy...

I did not mean to imply to anyone it was mine... only that it would be fun stuff to build.

Our place here on the Bay is 220+/- years old... the original "outside kitchen" is gone except the brick grill in very poor condition. I have been threatening to rebuild it and add a smoker (for fish mostly).
We live in northern MT and unlike some of these old fair weather puzzies(I'm teasing now) I'd be using that setup pretty much all the time.

But, it would be a bitch to clean. Between blowing snow and blowing dust, thunderstorms, etc.. I would get tired of trying to keep it up real quick.
I like the idea but not the $50k budget
Does anyone really think that the log runs through the chimney ?
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Fifty wouldn't build it.....bob
Originally Posted by BobMt

Definitely not up here. But wages are $30 for laborers and 50 to 60 for tradesmen

I’ll stick with my half ass patty thx🤣

Definitely not up here. But wages are $30 for laborers and 50 to 60 for tradesmen

Neighbors did one right. Helped him frame it, and do the stone and electrical. Poured concrete countertops. I think they spent about 30K when it was done. Kegarator, Blackstone, kamado, fridge and sink. He has a trailer offset that he parks next to it.
What's not to like

It's going to be nice as long as the weather is good.
I sunk some big money into an outside patio/living room/kitchen a few years ago. Of course, I'm in N. TX and our climate is decent. We use our outdoor living room more than the indoor one. If I get a fire going in the fireplace, we can sit out there when it's 45 degrees (shielded from the N and W winds). I probably use the grill and outdoor burner more than we use our kitchen oven and range.

In fact, we'll sit on the patio all day tomorrow for the Superbowl, grilling, feasting and watching the game.

There are some things I'd change if I ever built 2.0, but our first pass came pretty close to perfection.
What's not to like

That has to be a propane-burning fireplace with no chimney. I built the stone fireplace in my house. There is no room for a big timber to run through the middle of a wood burning fireplace.

That kitchen is beautiful! I have never seen such a thing.
It would be no problem, to build up the brick interior and rock exterior of that propane burning fireplace, and then to set that log in the middle of it, then continue to build up the masonry fireplace. The masonry would easily support that big timber.

It is against the building code for non pressure treated wood to be in contact with masonry. That masonry would continually be moist, and in ten or fifteen years the wood would rot.
Cash on our way home from church today I stopped and took some pictures of this place. It's in the Florida state park in Florida, Mo. It was built by the CCC workers in 1933. They did quite a bit of stone work and other things in the park. This has a fireplace in the end and plenty of room for picnic tables under the roof. Likely not what any of us would build but I sure like it and the setting.

Attached picture 001.jpg
Kinda neat but how long does it take to clean the bird chit of it before using it everytime?
Those are great to look at.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Kinda neat but how long does it take to clean the bird chit of it before using it everytime?
I'm sure it keeps the park employees busy.
Cash…. I always enjoy your posts on this stuff, your tastes are very similar to mine and I could be quite satisfied with any of the ideas you’ve posted. I wish I had your talent and expertise but that ship sailed a long time ago. 😄
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Cash…. I always enjoy your posts on this stuff, your tastes are very similar to mine and I could be quite satisfied with any of the ideas you’ve posted. I wish I had your talent and expertise but that ship sailed a long time ago. 😄

Just wait on this 20x20 Cottage I am working on now at Bayside Joinery...

All humility aside... It is going to be a very cool kit home.

BTW... Thanks
I've got a 12x20 deck with a slant-roof @ our camper lot. 6'x2' SS prep table w/2-burner Blackstone on top. Deep-fryer, Air-fryer, cooking tools, and a few spices stored on the shelf underneath. Full-size fridge/freezer, and a 3-burner gas Weber. About the only cooking we do inside the camper anymore is microwave popcorn. A poor-man's outdoor kitchen minus the running water. Surprisingly, I don't have trouble w/mice or other varmints. I have a cover for the grill and the prep table/blackstone so they stay free of bird droppings while we're not there.

I could see having a true outdoor kitchen if I lived in a milder climate. As a few others have stated though, I couldn't use one year 'round. If one were plumbed, I'd have to winterize it sometime in Oct and couldn't begin safely using it again until May without risking below-freezing temps overnight.

I get that the original pic is AI generated but it wouldn't take much to make that rendering quite useful. Put the sinks where the gas grill is. Gas burners for the flat-top. Have the gas grill and/or a Kamodo over top of where the wood is currently stored. Figure out a pizza oven provision in the big fireplace. Lastly on a quick glance, as others have said, stretch out the roof to cover the folks @ the bar.
Pretty killer. Bought a property in Maine I plan on moving up to within the year. Will be building a small place up there where I hope to do something like this. Not nearly as elaborate obviously but something covered, with fireplace and a sweet ass Argentinian grill.
It looks nice and I'm sure it was expensive to build. Outside pavilions are nice if you can afford them and you have space and are able to devote a lot of time to keeping them up. I have found that everything you build outside takes a lot of care or it will deteriorate. Around here wasps and yellowjackets are thankful for pavilions. Dust and debris are a constant problem with the wind. The one I'd like to build would be smaller and less elaborate. Facing reality we wouldn't be entertaining all that much. I built a 12x20 Pergola over part of our deck last year. If my health holds I might attempt a small pavilion of some sort after Biden assumes his proper place in society.
© 24hourcampfire