Home
Posted By: EdM Looking For an iPhone Charger - 02/25/24
I am heading to Alaska on a remote hunt later this year and would like to be able to keep my phone charged for the duration. Obviously there will be no connectivity but photo taking and maybe a solitaire download to play. Any recommendations?
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-368...sc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_grid_dv_rp_0_14_i
I don’t have any experience, other than I know solar battery banks are sold.

https://a.co/d/hGeTAaa
Contact tech support at Royal Dutch Shell…
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Right.

He can easily figure it out. Just wants to humble brag about his trip when he could have just brought it up without the pretext.
Posted By: EdM Re: Looking For an iPhone Charger - 02/25/24

Royal Dutch Shell no longer exists dummazz. A sharpie you are...
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Right.

He can easily figure it out. Just wants to humble brag about his trip when he could have just brought it up without the pretext.

Pure 'fire comedy, another whiner...
You’re looking forward to your trip to AK.

Cool.

Just say that and start a thread about it. Rather than being catty.

Are we all supposed to believe that you’re really too stupid to figure out a charger for your phone.
Humble brag?..................first I've ever heard that term and found it on the Google dictionary.
Originally Posted by AZmark
Humble brag?..................first I've ever heard that term and found it on the Google dictionary.

eDm does it well..
Get a forking camera and leave the bloody phone behind.
RB
Originally Posted by AZmark

eDm does it well..

From an underachiever... I hope, if you have children, you are pushing them rather than mimicking you.
Ed,

probably better info on the Alaska forum and Backpack Hunting forum.

More likely to encounter folks with direct experience at operating longer term off the grid.

I have seen people use power sticks ( rechargeable batteries ) to recharge phones.

seen less positive results with solar recharging, for multiple reasons.

(on the go, on the go during the day, moisture, etc)

Sycamore
Get on Amazon and look for a power bank that has a built in solar cell. I use that for camping and it works great. Charge overnight and just set the bank in the sun. The solar cell folds and is attached to the bank. I travel with it everywhere and used it on the plane home from Houston yesterday.
https://www.amazon.com/35800mAh-Wireless-Waterproof-Flashlights-Compatible/dp/B08BZ83FD1/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?crid=19AL6KME5ILGR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.6Pzxo0LRMpKiN7xSoznRV2bVGZAG4DIGJNHaKwXVM_BmVy44nRyxRZ0-Lv5ahBSOzPZJYKSD0-3eBWnoEruhOLQDgpoyZROyhE8xUi5u-dWmAFAnGdCqqYpCzQVSiTdEyFg2wfq7E8LjxsP5X4sMwqIBcL9Qj0F22PUzsdsdClYamp_kp35gyox8xdn-XyRkdhPxdI8E2khtsAVHdtYUGA.whxBqLA72rDDCgjShn4yjMBAsdgcwkdT6faUf5IKMNc&dib_tag=se&keywords=solar+power+bank+portable+charger&qid=1708837143&sprefix=solar+power+%2Caps%2C534&sr=8-23

This is a lot like the one I have.
Originally Posted by RupertBear
RB
I have to agree with this. If you want quality photos, about any decent point and shoot camera will be much better than a phone. The ability to extend the lens is a major issue for depth of field. Also, the higher pixel count makes a big difference. P&S cameras have true optical zoom. That's far better than any digital zoom.

A camera with a long lens can also be used as a pocket telescope. Some cameras can be zoomed to 30 to 40x. Zoom it all the way in and take the photo. You might need a rest at the max zoom. Then zoom it again on the screen. It won't be photo quality by any means but you be amazed at how much detail you can see at that high power.
I appreciate the positive responses. I'll check them out.
Any of the portable battery packs work but might want to stay away from the really cheap ones. I go for multiples rather than one bigger one. Keep an eye on them charging as I had one that was supposedly a good one start on fire when I plugged it in to charge in my living room. Would have lost the house if I wasn’t home.

Just make sure you can fly with them.

And yes, this is the hunters campfire. All hunting related questions are welcome even if it causes some non-doers some consternation.
If weight isn’t a major consideration and you have Milwaukee tools they make an m18 power bank.

Otherwise I’ve had good luck with Gigi gear brand power banks.
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
If weight isn’t a major consideration and you have Milwaukee tools they make an m18 power bank.

Otherwise I’ve had good luck with Gigi gear brand power banks.
Exactly what I was going to suggest
Anker power banks, 50 bucks, enough juice to charge my iPhone 11, 5 times.
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
https://www.amazon.com/35800mAh-Wireless-Waterproof-Flashlights-Compatible/dp/B08BZ83FD1/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?crid=19AL6KME5ILGR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.6Pzxo0LRMpKiN7xSoznRV2bVGZAG4DIGJNHaKwXVM_BmVy44nRyxRZ0-Lv5ahBSOzPZJYKSD0-3eBWnoEruhOLQDgpoyZROyhE8xUi5u-dWmAFAnGdCqqYpCzQVSiTdEyFg2wfq7E8LjxsP5X4sMwqIBcL9Qj0F22PUzsdsdClYamp_kp35gyox8xdn-XyRkdhPxdI8E2khtsAVHdtYUGA.whxBqLA72rDDCgjShn4yjMBAsdgcwkdT6faUf5IKMNc&dib_tag=se&keywords=solar+power+bank+portable+charger&qid=1708837143&sprefix=solar+power+%2Caps%2C534&sr=8-23

This is a lot like the one I have.

Let's shorten that and make it clickable:

https://www.amazon.com/35800mAh-Wireless-Waterproof-Flashlights-Compatible/dp/B08BZ83FD1/

smile
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FU8RBP...mFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1.

Skeptical as heck, but it seem cool.
Pretty expensive charger.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LED-Zoom...e-Waterproof-Lamp-Ultra-Bright/823489221

...and stash of 26650s

Or similar
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Right.

well this IS a hunting forum, and Ed did put in many hard years working in order to be able to do these kinds of hunting trips.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FU8RBP...mFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1.

Skeptical as heck, but it seem cool.
Pretty expensive charger.
For a lot less money, you can get a half dozen CAMERA batteries that will take a couple thousand top quality photos.
Whatever you decide, try it at home ( as long as your trip ) before you leave to make sure it will do what you want.
8 million retard posts and you hens flip chit at Ed for asking a legitimate question.

We're all not as tech savvy as some of you nerds.
Originally Posted by EdM
I am heading to Alaska on a remote hunt later this year and would like to be able to keep my phone charged for the duration. Obviously there will be no connectivity but photo taking and maybe a solitaire download to play. Any recommendations?
I carry a couple fo 20,000 whatever the abreviation is for those amps batteries from Walmart. I rarely go through more than 2 in a month in the bush. But I sleep rather than play games on a phone. Its used to run my Garmin and for mapping checks mostly.

I do carry a solar panel as backup, but last fall you would have never gotten much use..
Originally Posted by SamOlson
8 million retard posts and you hens flip chit at Ed for asking a legitimate question.

I know, it’s funny isn’t it.
RB
Phone cameras are so good these days. We rarely see anyone carry a real camera. Just larger, heavier, different batteries. More junk basically. If you have ever been in a super cub size and weight getting to camps is an issue for sure in Alaska and anywhere you carry stuff on your back and in a small plane.

I am constantly trying to find things that do double duty and slim down both size and weight.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Looking For an iPhone Charger - 02/25/24
a few years ago I got my kids a battery bank that was the size of a thick smartphone that was capable of jumping a car battery - came with jumper clips, and charged with a micro USB adapter. it has a USB port for phone charging, so I got one for myself and started carrying it on trips. Now every car has one under the seat continually charging when we drive the cars.

No shortage of good ones out there that will charge a phone multiple times in the $30ish range
Originally Posted by rost495
RB
Phone cameras are so good these days. We rarely see anyone carry a real camera. Just larger, heavier, different batteries. More junk basically. If you have ever been in a super cub size and weight getting to camps is an issue for sure in Alaska and anywhere you carry stuff on your back and in a small plane.

I am constantly trying to find things that do double duty and slim down both size and weight.

Exactly. Cameras on the newer iPhones are so good the pictures hurt your eyes. Another big advantage to the phone is you can Bluetooth to your Delorme. Then you can text on your phone without having to use the [bleep] system they have on the unit I always give my wife the courtesy of a check in a few times a day so she doesn’t get stressed when I am gone for extended periods of time.
Ok my north slope caribou/ grizzly hunt i got stuck an extra 7 days due to weather..i went through all of my battery packs(4). Between reading on my kindle app and texting- checking weather on my Zoleo i burned through them all. The day i got picked up i didn't know the plane was coming.

Solar was a complete waste.

On my goat hunt last year i took 6 battery packs. I only used 1 as the weather was much better and i got picked up after only a 2 day delay. Solar might have worked on that hunt as i was in short sleeves the whole time.
If you can't bring them with you i will let you use as many as you want when you come through. Just let me know.
Good luck on your hunt, EdM. I look forward to some pics.
Good luck Ed.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Ok my north slope caribou/ grizzly hunt i got stuck an extra 7 days due to weather..i went through all of my battery packs(4). Between reading on my kindle app and texting- checking weather on my Zoleo i burned through them all.

What battery packs?

A single Shargeek 100 (25,600 mAh) will charge an iPhone about 6 times from dead to full.
My family has had good luck with the Anker brand power banks. Someone gave me a solar rechargeable like the one Cheesy linked. It takes a long time to charge up using solar energy and I just don't know about the quality enough to use it as a primary in a remote area. Someone also gave me a rechargeable Ocoopa hand warmer that I used last hunting season that also doubles as a power bank.

Another thing I like is a single USB charging cable that will work with lightning, micro and USB type C devices. This allows me to recharge batteries with charging ports for my rechargeable flashlights. I hate traveling with multiple cables and adapters.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/native...pe-c-cable-zebra/6394136.p?skuId=6394136
Originally Posted by EdM

One more data point. My experience is a newer iphone (new battery) holds a longer charge than an older one.

if your phone is more than 2 years old, or is at 50/60% at the end of a day, might want to get new phone before the trip?

Sycamore
Get a couple of the Anker or Shargeek (north of 20k mAH) packs and you should be covered.

What's oftentimes overlooked is the settings on the phone;

Turn down display brightness and lessen screen time-out settings.
And of course, turn off cellular data, wifi and bluetooth so it's not searching for a signal.
EdM doesn't write what iPhone he is using, but hunting in an area with no cellular coverage using any iPhone 14 or 15 you can use emergency SOS via satellite to text emergency services when you are outside of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage areas. That feature alone justified an upgrade because there are many areas up north without normal cellular coverage. A 48 megapixel camera is a whole lot better than my old 7 as well.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

These are flashlights, but will also recharge phones etc. Via USB cord etc.
I have 3 of the power bank battery packs around. All have worked well and can charge a phone several times.

I don’t think I paid over $30 for any of them. Don’t know the brand off the top of my head. I’d just check Amazon reviews and order a couple.
You've mentioned your wealth often....

Can't you just have poles, transformers, pumping stations and a grid installed in the area you plan on vacationing in?

Your forward thinking will pay dividends for decades to come. The locals will praise your entire family.

Maybe even get a bronze statue of yourself cast before you embark.

Have a ceremony in your own behalf....give a speech ect.

Lotsa butthurt.

Have fun Ed.

The power bank experience I have is limited to cheapo Walmart or corporate give away types. Let us know what you end up using.

Hunters Campfire needs to be re-named “The Clam Bed”

😂
Get something with a pile of amp hours.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Krisdonia-Portable-80000mAh-Charger-Emergency/dp/B0BQVXDTLG
I found a varity of hand crank generators, that power a flash light and can charge a cell phone. Some also have a small solar panel, that charges the system.
I will be taking one this year ,as back up. I haven't decided what one yet! We are heading up may 16th and returning june 20th. Enjoy you trip! A little research on Amazon and your set.
Ed accused me of being a liar when I showed a picture of my new rifle.

That wasn't very nice.

I wouldn't want to show a picture of my charger.
Humblebrag strikes again.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Humblebrag strikes again.
Ought to be his screen name actually.
The fact that the charger will be used on a remote hunt is highly relevant to the inquiry because it is not an item that can be replaced in 15 minutes at the nearest Walmart.
Ed, look at some of the Goal zero products.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That wasn't very nice.

You mean when he said "well done"?

That wasn't how I read it.

Just sayin'
Originally Posted by tedthorn
You've mentioned your wealth often....

Can't you just have poles, transformers, pumping stations and a grid installed in the area you plan on vacationing in?

Your forward thinking will pay dividends for decades to come. The locals will praise your entire family.

Maybe even get a bronze statue of yourself cast before you embark.

Have a ceremony in your own behalf....give a speech ect.

LMAO, Ted, WTF?
Phones have great cameras nowadays, plus other benefits,

A very cool feature I like is voice memos each night when you finally get back to the camp/tent.

Did a brutal hunt (imho) 2 years ago, made voice memos each night, Great way to keep track of all events,

You can relive the memories years afterwards, Pictures and Audio.

Also size and weight restrictions can be a factor in these decisions.
Plenty of light weight dependable chargers out there

The Bezos store........

Everything from Dil-Does to lawn mowers
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Also size and weight restrictions can be a factor in these decisions.

The best mAh per ounce battery that I have seen is the Nitecore NB10000. At least that is what all the UL hikers use and they are all gearqueers that take selfies constantly.

That wasn't very nice.

You have a phone? I thought you Yellowstone ranchers just flew your helicopter everywhere to talk in person?
Originally Posted by jackmountain

That wasn't very nice.

You have a phone? I thought you Yellowstone ranchers just flew your helicopter everywhere to talk in person?

How in the hell do you think I get ahold of my valet?
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Ok my north slope caribou/ grizzly hunt i got stuck an extra 7 days due to weather..i went through all of my battery packs(4). Between reading on my kindle app and texting- checking weather on my Zoleo i burned through them all. The day i got picked up i didn't know the plane was coming.

On my goat hunt last year i took 6 battery packs. I only used 1 as the weather was much better and i got picked up after only a 2 day delay. Solar might have worked on that hunt as i was in short sleeves the whole time.
If you can't bring them with you i will let you use as many as you want when you come through. Just let me know.
I just suggest not burning all your batteries up playing on the phone. You might actually need the phone or the Garmin at some point. Unless you are running a sat phone separately.

6 batteries. I can't imagine that many batteries LOL.
The best part of my cabin is no phone service. I look forward to any time I get away from the nerve racking POS. I’d be taking a book and a small camera.

That wasn't very nice.

I had no idea Jim kept a fleet of helicopters...

I think we need to move to Montana JM... fugg this Virginia slumming.
They make radios with windup chargers..
Originally Posted by wabigoon
They make radios with windup chargers..

I have one of those for setting off explosives...

Which I would love shove down your throat with about 25 pounds of Tovex.

That wasn't very nice.

I had no idea Jim kept a fleet of helicopters...

I think we need to move to Montana JM... fugg this Virginia slumming.

Actually that was a lie.

I used to work for an old Forest Service mule skinner/Safety Officer.

He made me promise to never get on a helicopter unless I couldn't avoid it.
I said ok
Originally Posted by Calvin
RB

Exactly. Cameras on the newer iPhones are so good the pictures hurt your eyes. Another big advantage to the phone is you can Bluetooth to your Delorme. Then you can text on your phone without having to use the [bleep] system they have on the unit I always give my wife the courtesy of a check in a few times a day so she doesn’t get stressed when I am gone for extended periods of time.

BT,DT. Many of my hunts have been fly-in; I am well versed in reducing both space and weight. My camera doesn't contain my life history, I can carry boocoo batteries for it without the weight penalty of a single power bank for a phone. Although iPhone cameras are good, a simple travel camera of not much more weight will outperform a camera phone to the Nth degree. My Lumix camera has 35X optical zoom, and it fits into my jacket pocket. For close is the same result, but different settings and it still fits into a jacket pocket. Nope, it won't make phone calls, but as a camera, jest not with camera add-ons. I understand and sometimes use the "Double Duty" idea. When far, far away when one item craps out, one item is dead; unless it is a double duty item -- then both (or more) items are dead. We each plan and adapt in our own way.
RB
[quote=dennisinaz]Ok my north slope caribou/ grizzly hunt i got stuck an extra 7 days due to weather..i went through all of my battery packs(4). Between reading on my kindle app and texting- checking weather on my Zoleo i burned through them all. The day i got picked up i didn't know the plane was coming.

I just suggest not burning all your batteries up playing on the phone. You might actually need the phone or the Garmin at some point. Unless you are running a sat phone separately.

6 batteries. I can't imagine that many batteries LOL.[/quote
And if you were stuck in a tent for 10 days, how would you keep your sanity?
I read a bunch of books on my kindle app and provided a daily weather report to the air taxi. Every day was a " we're going to try and come get you" so keep your communication active...

These are flashlights, but will also recharge phones etc. Via USB cord etc.

EDIT.

I have a dozen of these flashlights and very much like them.

With that said... the early ones I bought would backwards charge a cell phone...

HOWEVER... I tried that this past week on one of the newer ones I bought recently... and the newer one WOULD NOT backwards charge my cell.

Not sure why... but not wanting to mislead anyone I am posting this edit.
I use my Makita batteries with the Makita USB adapter ($30)

[Linked Image from images.thdstatic.com]
© 24hourcampfire