Home
I bought this property in 73, been here ever since. I bet some have lived their entire lives on the same place
Bought my old place in 76. Move in in 78. Sold it last year and moved off. Very bittersweet
Built this here home in 2000,moved in in 2001.
Still own our first home we bought in 92
About 45yrs. I'll never move.
25 here.
20 yrs
Since 2008. Done moving.
31 years
Whole life within a 100 mile radius

May have to change that if it continues to
turn blue-er and the out-of-staters continue
to flood in. For sure if the death penalty gets
repealed
August makes 27 years. Built the house.

P
23 so far.
30 years, the house is going on a 100.
13 years at this one.

I hope no more moves, period.
36 years
I’ve lived in 11 different houses in six states since 73. Did live in one location 30 years though. Most were job transfers, but a couple were on my own.
24+ years. memtb
46 years...but, I've put on a lot of miles, from Attu to Challis from Aridzona to Prudhoe Bay, chasing a paycheck so we could afford to live in, LOL, Appalachia West. Almost a third of the time living in camps or on crew barges as at home. Been a helluva ride, don't think I would change a thing.
Longest time I've ever lived anywhere is right here in Hillbilly Methhead Heaven, aka Southern Oregon.

Moved here in 1995 from Minnesota.
24 years in this house,
5 in a trailer park
22 in mom's house before I got married
3 on the farm before Dad died.

All within a 20 mile radius.
1st 3 within a 15 mile line.

Would move in a heartbeat on winning a big lottery.
This is a nice place, but it's not me.
There are neighbors I can see, hear their car door slam.

Rarely buy tickets,
probably die here.
As I get older, 1 acre to mow, 40' of driveway, and 2 miles to town have an increasing appeal.
34 years in the same town, 19 years in the present home.
Almost exactly half my life - 38.5 years.
This time - 33 years in June.
Dad & Mom bought this place in '65, I used to put up brome grass/alfalfa mix right where I now sit.
Town grew up to us.
Joy was born in what is now our ranch house 1/2/58.
Might say we've got roots. smile
On this ranch 26 years, ranch before this 30 years, ranch before 6 years, ranch before that one 5 years, born on a ranch 1939 lived there till 1957, I will die on this ranch. Rio7
We built a small (1300 sq ft) two story home in 1999. Did a lot of the work ourselves (painting inside and out, counter tops tiles, laminate and tile flooring). We were given 2.25 acres and my wife inherited 34 acres adjourning us. The land had been in the wife’s family 75 years when we got it. We got tired of moving to various places throughout the state in my career as an elementary school principal and school administrator. Early on, earned a reputation as a trouble shooter in my field and followed the money trying
to support my family and live on one income We moved in in 2000 and I hope to die here. Spent 14 months in specialty hospitals and nursing home following my bout with Covid in 2020. Nice to own a place where you can pee off the patio and shoot rifles in the backyard. Love seeing the critters passing thru and overhead. We live on the Alluvial Hills and across the road is the Mississippi Delta. When I slept upstairs, I could hear “The City of New Orleans” nightly on its run from Chicago to New Orleans. Canadian National took over the route. Indian mound where we can hunt artifacts is about 5 miles away as are other sites. Can’t stand concrete urban life and crowds. I was born 100 years too late.
9 locations during first 35 years. 32 years in current location. Bury me out back.
30 years. Hopefully I got one more move as I want to build a place up in the foothills. Want to live off grid . If I asked this same question, I would get criticized by the same couple members of asking too personal questions. I guess that’s their problem! Never been to Texas, but maybe one day. My ancestors founded a town called Cranfill Gap. I enjoy reading all your posts, you have skills and come across as a good person! Cheers ! Alan
16 years at current location.
35 years here.... had house built in 1988.
1st home we bought, 31 years, would like to stay, if things go south we would move if we had too.
12 years. It is the longest I have ever lived in on place in my entire life.
NE WI for 45 years now, current place for 13 years now. It's an 117 k coffin since moving from turkeys, white tail, and lots of raptors to anywhere else would suck bigly.
At the current address: 12 years
Within a mile of current address: 35 years
Within a 5 mile radius of the Channel 64 tower on the north side of Cincinnati: 65+ years
25 years on this ridgetop. 30 in this general area. The Mountains of NC are beautiful but sadly they have been "discovered". I like some people just fine but I never like crowds.
39 years...wow that went by fast!
24 years here
18 years before that in the house we built.
4 years before that in the first house we bought.
1.5 years leasing a house before that.
2 years in a 4 plex while we were in college.
Since Oct 72.
53 in July
Built this house 21 years ago. My next planned move is to a cemetery.
As a kid, from second grade ('57) until about '79.
After that, it was where ever.
Bought a house in 1992, sold it in 2002.
Took the money and built here in '02 and will probably die here. The land is an inheritance. Been in the family since 1904! We (the wife and me!) will never sell it! The kids? Who knows! But we won't know it!
11 years. Longest I've ever lived anywhere.

Lived in 9 different states over the years.

I've got wanderlust. It's about time to sell this one and move on.
I built our home about 33 years ago. It has turned into a gilded cage my wife won’t leave.
Here for the last eight years.

Previously lived on the same farmstead for 65 years.
Built this house in Klamtucky Falls ,77-78 , been here every since. Work took me around the country for years. From Maine and Vermont, to North Carolina, West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas ect. Home has been here.
22 years direct frontage on Lake Champlain
Seven here in ( the last place) retired.

My wife and I have bought and sold 11 houses, rented four houses and had three free houses at mining camps. We have lived in Idaho three times, Nevada three times, Upper Michigan three times, Minnesota twice, Montana once, Alaska once.

Wouldn't change it. Many adventures, good friends in many places. Now retired, and happy to stay in the same home year after year.
Can we get someone with a name like Old Bootsie MacDoogal to proclaim that he was “borned” in this same house and been here 81 years?

Cmon youre out there somewhere.
12 years and I have had enough….we won’t be celebrating 13 years in this house. The family is finally onboard with selling everything down here and starting over up north!

Getting my wife and kids to agree to give up everything they’ve grown comfortable with and moving to Alaska has been a dream of mine and today that dream finally came to fruition. I’ve been splitting my time between Alaska and my family but I don’t have to worry about splitting my time anymore since they want to get outta here. 👍🏼
going on 20 years now. About the longest I have ever been in one place.
carrollco, My wife's mom was from Duck Hill, Montgomery County. The Wilkins family. They were about the first white folks to live there. Holmes County was named after her great grand dad. I zip out there once or twice a year. Next trip, I'll holler at ya.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
carrollco, My wife's mom was from Duck Hill, Montgomery County. The Wilkins family. They were about the first white folks to live there. Holmes County was named after her great grand dad. I zip out there once or twice a year. Next trip, I'll holler at ya.
Are you talking DUCK HILL,MS ?? My Brother-in-law grew up there, & I have visited a few times.
Since 1983.

Three different mailing addresses, same location.

Next move will be presided over by the words, "From ashes to ashes, dust to dust".

Ashes being dusted in one of several places I would like them spread!
Been here 15 years,I live in the house my Great Grandfather bought in 1911,5 generations of my family have lived here.But....it ends with us,in a few years our youngest will finish school and we will leave New York
for good.I just hope and pray we get out in time.
22 years
Previously 34 years, the neighborhood decay was gaining momentum, and the value was in decline.
Currently 12, the neighborhood is quiet and peaceful, and the value is increasing. It was a monetary mistake to overstay the previous location !!!!
In years , I have lived in four houses at three Addresses, burnt a cabin to build a house on one. Be here now 15 years. Only way I ammoving now is if I get enough money to go into the wild and live without being able to see civilization.....
Moved 9 times since 2000
We moved here in ‘87 and been here ever since, so 37 years. We had had 9 moves including 2 overseas in previous 15 years.
28 years now.
5 years at the current place
I move a lot. Longest i have lived in a place is 6 years.
20 and last.
I’m surprised someone wasn’t born on the place they live
45 years. Built the house summer of '79, got married and moved in that fall. Raised a daughter and several dogs. Daughter grew up and moved away, wife died in '16, dogs all passed, the last one just a few hours ago. Pretty lonely here today but a lot of memories echo through the place, don't think I could ever leave
84 years
Currently a mere 14 yrs same place

No plans to move.......
26 years
6 in current house
27 years. Downstate has made life here intolerable and we are preparing to leave.
Built my house in 1979 and still here.
Father in law and I built this house in 1974 -75. We moved in March of 1975.
Before that I Was in service so nothing was permanent.
Wife and I were married in 1972 and rented a house about 2 miles down the
road.
Probably will die here, nice place I like it.
39 years.
Originally Posted by jdunham
27 years. Downstate has made life here intolerable and we are preparing to leave.

we pray for you living in NY
26 years so far. Population was around 22k when we moved here.Now it is around 235k. So much for moving to the country.
14 years in this palace.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
14 years in this palace.

Fuggin MT man

Could be NY or IL
24 years.
26 years
Been back 6 years lived at same location 9 years before, moved to Wichita KS. for 15 years another 2 in El Dorado KS. Then another 9 years between CO, AZ, MN & MO.
Lived in the same house from birth to 18 (parents still live there, since 1972) moved around traveled til I was 24 when I got married, built a house and been here for 28 years.
39 years with 27 years in the house, lived in a mobile home before on the same spot. 60 years same zip code but in at 5 different locations. My kids were the 4th generation through the same school system.
22 or 23 years I guess.

Previous to that I was 18 years 1.5 miles south of here.
In this house 21 yrs. Where I grew up I can't hit with a slingshot, but a good potato gun would get me 3/4 of the way there. Can look out my front window and see the homestead. So all my life in the same place.
Been here since 1987.
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
In this house 21 yrs. Where I grew up I can't hit with a slingshot, but a good potato gun would get me 3/4 of the way there. Can look out my front window and see the homestead. So all my life in the same place.

What state?
40 years in Texas

35 of that in San Antonio.

25 years of that here in Casa de ‘Hood grin

San Antonio is growing at a rate hard to believe, dense plots of McMansions spreading like fungus all across the North Side.

That has mostly passed on by the old city neighborhoods.

My street ain’t changed much at all.

I do miss the Texas I found forty years ago.
Lived 28 years from where I live now. Suburbia exploded there and I moved to his area in 1989. Moved into this house in 95. Now I can sit in my deer stands and look at the subdivision houses. I have a contract on 147 acres about 40-45 away. Will build there in about a year. Be good to be away from the subdivision dwellers again.
45 years here.
Moved around a bunch growing up, and a little more just out of college, and decided that wasn't the life. Been in this house for 39 years.
I moved to this zip code in 1979. I have lived in this 10 of those years.

kwg
52 years
Signed the papers on this place Fed 14 2000 just sent the last payment Feb 14 2023 ,can hardly wait to see the deed.
I bought my house new 31 years ago.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Moved around a bunch growing up, and a little more just out of college, and decided that wasn't the life. Been in this house for 39 years.

Where were you born?
I moved to Missouri fresh out of college with a new truck and bumper pull stock trailer 21 years ago. On my 6th house now, 4th since getting married in 2009. Been here since 2016 and it would take a fleet of semis to carry all of our stuff. Don’t plan on leaving anytime soon.
32 years in this house.
41 years and counting. Two kids and one grandkid on the same property, and another grandkid on the way back soon. Looks like his daughter might be the 4th. generation here.
23 years in Wyoming, 32 years in Montana before that.
24 years in Rowan County N.C.
14 months! Woot!

But same general area, except for a couple years overseas, since 2002.

If I'm still here in 2028, someone please shoot my ass.
24 years in my current home. Plan to sell this year and move to a piece of bayouside property I bought several years ago.
35 years in the same house, can’t get the wife to move.
I was born in a House about 300 yards North of where I currently live. My Grandfather, and my Great Grandfather lived at my current location. I have lived here most of my life. I was in the Army for a couple of years back in the late 1960's and lived other places for about three years when I first got married back inthe 1980's, but the rest of the time I have lived on the 80 acres that was passed down to me. When they came here from Mississippi after the civil war, my Great Grandfathers mother and Dad came with them, but I do not know if they lived in the same house or not. A couple of house fires before I was born, lost most of the pictures and other records. miles
In October it will be 24 years. I hate moving.

Ron
52 years in the same house. Told the bride that when I leave here It will be in a body bag.

Bob
Mannlicher and oldwoody2: I worked for Montgomery Co Schools for about 4 years out of the Superintendent of Education’s office. I did Title I, staff development training and alternative school. I lived in Winona and left there to work in Carroll Co where we had land. Montgomery Co had a policy that you had to live in the county to work there (elected superintendent of education there). Made the move so we could build a house and put down roots. My son just moved back and lives in Montgomery Co. I was a substitute bus driver and pretty much been all over the county. Fond memories of the staff at Duck Hill. My people came out of Holmes Co outside of Lexington (Owen Springs)and are buried at Pleasant Ridge Cemetery as are some of my wife’s folks. Small world.

Same house since 1963.....
Since 1987

Virgil B.
I've been in this house since '78.
30 years in Colorado. 19 years in this house. But Colorado is not what it used to be. As soon as I retire, we are headed out of here. Thinking Kansas or maybe Georgia. We are in the process of sorting that out.
Mannlicher and oldwoody2: I worked for Montgomery Co Schools for about 4 years out of the Superintendent of Education’s office. I did Title I, staff development training and alternative school. I lived in Winona and left there to work in Carroll Co where we had land. Montgomery Co had a policy that you had to live in the county to work there (elected superintendent of education there). Made the move so we could build a house and put down roots. My son just moved back and lives in Montgomery Co. I was a substitute bus driver and pretty much been all over the county. Fond memories of the staff at Duck Hill. My people came out of Holmes Co outside of Lexington (Owen Springs)and are buried at Pleasant Ridge Cemetery as are some of my wife’s folks. Small world.
8 for our Tennessee property. We absolutely love it here but previously we lived in Alaska for many years. I am 70 and wife is 66 and we are seriously considering moving back to Alaska as our son and our only grandchild have moved back. In some ways moving is exciting yet a pita all at the same time.
Time will tell what we decided. Son and I still have another half dozen Koyukuk moose hunts to accomplish.
23 years in SE Alaska. About to start living the snowbird lifestyle from Dec - April. I am done with rainforest winters.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
22 years direct frontage on Lake Champlain

Bass fishing Champlain again is on my bucket list.
55 years, first 20 kicking around over parts of Alaska, the last 43 here on the Kenai, 35 in the current house.

It's almost finished..... smile
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m surprised someone wasn’t born on the place they live

I couldn't get out of that [bleep] fast enough. Got my parents to sign so I could enlist when I was 17.
Hanco: 26 (twenty six) years here so far - hope to get several more before I cross the great divide.
Best place I have ever lived BY FAR (S/W Montana)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by ingwe

Where were you born?

I was born in Canton Ohio......sure wouldnt have picked that if I was given a say in the matter.
I answered the original question. Many, many relos along the way.
© 24hourcampfire