Home
Posted By: Steve How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Been getting hammered for the past day and a half. Currently 40mph with gusts to 60. Neighbor's chicken coop has been traumatized. Lost it's roof and is off it's foundation. No chickens were harmed however.

Strapped down the bee hives.

Supposed to be like this until 11 PM, but snow is supposed to be added in the next few hours.
Posted By: Riverc Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Light breeze here.
Posted By: greydog Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
A brisk northeast wind here (about 25 mph). Snowing heavily. I just got in from driving 10 hours in it. Not a nice day. GD
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Hit 63 a few days ago.

Neighbors are all returning everyone else’s stuff. 🤪
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Not bad
Posted By: BeanMan Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Utah’s wind arrive here a couple hours ago
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Howling pretty good here yesterday and today.
Posted By: szihn Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
As I write this the winds are sustained at about 30 MPH with a few gusts up to 37 MPH.
Stiff, but not unexpected or severe.
Posted By: ironbender Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Similar here the last 2 1/2 days. <10 mph currently.
Posted By: colodog Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
You might enjoy bookmarking this site ,Link here for wind map
Posted By: StGeorger Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Blowing hard in St. George. Hope we get some rain.
Posted By: Steve Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Originally Posted by colodog
You might enjoy bookmarking this site ,Link here for wind map

Thanks. I frequented the site quite a bit. It's an interesting visual.
Posted By: colodog Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
It helps me to know if I can shoot really well without wind flags or if the 22s need to wait an couple of days...
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Pretty mild today, but this IS Oklahoma!

We've had winds so high, the hens were laying the same egg twice.
Posted By: Steve Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Blowing hard in St. George. Hope we get some rain.

Been spitting rain here.
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Blowing hard in Az.
Posted By: smokepole Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
How windy is it? Check this out:

Posted By: wabigoon Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
They say, in Dakote's you don't run after your hat when it blows away, just grab the next hat coming by.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
I saw yesterday it hit 143 mph in the upper elevations at Yosemite.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
We're directly in the line of that storm that hammered the Sierras andTahoe. It's dumped most of it's load but we've been getting a little rain and snow. It's blowing maybe 25-30 right now. It's about 25F colder than a couple days ago. March has come in like a lion with a bad toothache.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
We’re getting 40 mph gusts here presently.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Originally Posted by Steve
Been getting hammered for the past day and a half. Currently 40mph with gusts to 60. Neighbor's chicken coop has been traumatized. Lost it's roof and is off it's foundation. No chickens were harmed however.

Supposed to be like this until 11 PM, but snow is supposed to be added in the next few hours.

Welcome to Utah

Over on my turf.....constant 28 mph all day with 48 mph gusts

Snow squalls across the tops

Gets old......sunrise this morning

My ole 'Cruiser sleeps outside & woke up to this

Red sky morning.....Cruisers take warning.....................................(:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: P_Weed Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Three old Campfire guys were sitting on a park bench...

The first says, "Windy, innut?"

The second says, "No, Thursdy."

The third says, "Me too, let's go for a pint."
And those are the smart ones.^^^

The inventor of the wind chill factor died this week.

He was 86 but felt more like he was 64.
A man crossing London Bridge sees a pretty woman struggling to keep her mini skirt down in the wind so he says : A bit airy isn't it?

She replied: What the ell you expect feathers?
Posted By: Longbob Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Blowing like crazy at the Arches National Park today. It was blowing so hard as we were walking down one of steep slopes that it was nearly impossible to descend at times. Was a great time to visit otherwise due to very few people.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Winds have died down and now it's a blizzard.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Could use some wind muddy as fuqk here
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
It was windy enough and out of the wrong direction so I had to remove the giant Santa head from the front of our house.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: How windy is it? - 03/02/24
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Three old Campfire guys were sitting on a park bench...

The first says, "Windy, innut?"

The second says, "No, Thursdy."

The third says, "Me too, let's go for a pint."

Yeah, I know what you mean, a guy I know referred to the wind chill factor as the “wind chill factory”. And he was serious.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Dammmmmm

hasn't quit yet

Upper ridges adding another 30" of snow
Originally Posted by Longbob
Blowing like crazy at the Arches National Park today. It was blowing so hard as we were walking down one of steep slopes that it was nearly impossible to descend at times. Was a great time to visit otherwise due to very few people.

U went to Arches today ????????????????

Must have an ole farts lifetime pass

I know ways to get in fur free........

Iffin UR Subaru has low range 4x4

[img]https://imgur.com/EKzeKvT[/img]
Posted By: Epishemore Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Power out in LV NV due to wind
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It was windy enough and out of the wrong direction so I had to remove the giant Santa head from the front of our house.

U still believe in santa ?

WTF over
Currently

Snow down to 6500'
Posted By: Longbob Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Originally Posted by tikkanut

We were blown away (no pun intended) with the beauty we saw. I had a decent idea it would be beautiful, but I way underestimated what we would see. My wife is from Peru and had no idea. Our mouths were agape I think the majority of the time.

I grew up in the North Texas area and we don't have anything like this which makes me overwhelmed pretty easily by this kind of scenery. We travel a lot, but have made a concerted effort to explore more things like this in the USA. Never been to Yellowstone, Yosimite, northern Rockies, Blue Ridge Parkway (for change of seasons) along with many other things the USA has to offer. Pretty much knew we would enjoy Moab and it hasn't disappointed.

We don't have a Subaru, but brought my Ram 2500 with my 4 wheeler in the back. Haven't gotten it out yet. We will be here until next Friday. Are you far from Moab?

We were blown away (no pun intended) with the beauty we saw. I had a decent idea it would be beautiful, but I way underestimated what we would see. My wife is from Peru and had no idea. Our mouths were agape I think the majority of the time.

I grew up in the North Texas area and we don't have anything like this which makes me overwhelmed pretty easily by this kind of scenery. We travel a lot, but have made a concerted effort to explore more things like this in the USA. Never been to Yellowstone, Yosimite, northern Rockies, Blue Ridge Parkway (for change of seasons) along with many other things the USA has to offer. Pretty much knew we would enjoy Moab and it hasn't disappointed.

We don't have a Subaru, but brought my Ram 2500 with my 4 wheeler in the back. Haven't gotten it out yet. We will be here until next Friday. Are you far from Moab?

Do Not.......even unload your quad in the park........

Devils Garden

Go south......first road to the west.......turn

Head NW outta the park to boundary to BLM land

This is the NW gate...looking south

Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Was over helping my folks this AM. Wind was blowing really hard! Maybe 70 mph gusts? It quit about three hours ago. Now I have six inches of snow to contend with. Feeling lazy sitting here in front of the fire now and watching the deer. Good evening to stay inside.

Devils Garden

Yes we know not to unload our 4 wheeler in the parks. It is just in the back of the truck since we don't have any other place for it. No big hassle for us to drive around with it loaded.

Thanks for the lead on the gate to enter BLM land so we can ride around on it. I was looking online at the trails that we could use also.
Posted By: EdM Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Really nice evening here. Calm about 80 degrees. Creed’d a hog right at 7.

Devils Garden

Yes we know not to unload our 4 wheeler in the parks. It is just in the back of the truck since we don't have any other place for it. No big hassle for us to drive around with it loaded.

Thanks for the lead on the gate to enter BLM land so we can ride around on it. I was looking online at the trails that we could use also.

Its 22 miles to Hwy 191 to the NW

Empty country
Iffin you have time

try this on quad on BLM

East along the CO river from Moab

Turn south Onion CK campground & get rolling

Thank you!
Posted By: Hudge Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
We are on 5+ days of winds. Most I’ve seen since we’ve lived here. We get windy, but usually down by day 4. https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/PAAQ.html
Posted By: WildWest Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Blew 23 to 48 mph today. Going to blow in the 30's next 4 days. Rained a little bit. West part of state is getting snow and high wind.
Posted By: Steve Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Wind finally died down. Now it's snowing. Good. I have some jerky I need to put in the smoker tomorrow.
Posted By: ironbender Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
https://www.windy.com/
Posted By: wabigoon Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
It's windy today[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
^^^^^^^^^^^

UR welcome

More on its way
Posted By: las Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Wind isn't all bad. I like watching the ravens play.

The Arctic, where I've spent some time, doesn't get much snow, technically being a desert. What it does get, gets used several times. Whenever the wind switches, it gets used again. smile

Had short power outages a couple times recently here on the Kenai. Love my on-demand generator! Keeps the coffee warm.

Areas on my sidewalk and driveway have been swept clear down to glare ice. I need to spread a little sand there. The dogs like the windpacked snow for getting around the yard, ("There's Wabbits out there!")

And that might be partially due to the brush piles still around from some clearing last summer, both on my lot and on the state park land adjacent. The owls are probably a little grumpy about it tho.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Steve: Steady 25 M.P.H. here with gusts to 35 M.P.H. on Friday and Saturday - just "windy" today (Sunday) according to the weather predictions.
Getting on my nerves of late.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I hope the folks down Texas way get a break from the winds soon so they can get the fires under control.
Posted By: ERK Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Blowing 20 to 25 with gusts to 45 they clim. Supposed to get 5 to 10 inches of snow by 6 am. Yup still winter here in ND. Edk
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Been blowing for a few days here. Not bad where we live, considering. I think the highest we saw was 39 MPH on my home anemometer. 27mph highest in the last 24 hrs. 17 just now. The other day, when we saw 39, the airport in town recorded a few gusts over 50, highest was 53 I think.

We have a ridge behind our place that blocks a good portion of the predominantly S and SW winds. We are usually 10-15mph lower than in town. Makes me happy as 40 mph winds screw with stuff well enough for my needs.

They help sometimes, as the driveway is oriented N/S and those winds can keep parts clear when it's blowing good. I didn't have to clear in front of the garage door yesterday in case we needed to get the car out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24

I'm currently outside braving the elements!

Send prayers mutherfuckers!
IN the olden days they didn't have a cab on them "yuppie tractors".

Nowadays, yu prolly have a heater in the dang things and I'd have my boots off driving barefoot as usual.

Took the boys for a really short walk yesterday, 25F or so and gusting to 30. We doubled up on their jackets and ours

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Them there dogs would be freezing their tails off!

This is serious weather!

Posted By: memtb Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Originally Posted by Steve

I didn’t think about my hives.

I used to strap down my hives, but we don’t get windy here often……so, I’ve gotten complacent! Very glad we didn’t get much wind! memtb
Ya Sammo,

the first push is the hardest. That's what I always told them.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
The third day of "kinda breezy" here, 40 sustained, 55+ gusts.
I'm hurting inside for the folks east of us in the TX panhandle, though.
They don't need any more of this crap!

Supposed to die down tomorrow, here. Hope it does out east, also!
Prayers sent!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Geno, the tractor cabs are pretty warm with the heater off. IME.
A/C is an absolute requirement, though - think "Pheasant Under Glass" if you will !
Posted By: 5sdad Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Too damned.
Posted By: 160user Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Pretty mild today, but this IS Oklahoma!

We've had winds so high, the hens were laying the same egg twice.

Does anyone know how to clean whiskey off my computer monitor?
SOS here

Windy......cold..........snow squalls
Posted By: richj Re: How windy is it? - 03/03/24
Sis in Vegas said a few signs and street lights got blown over.
Posted By: Steve Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
Not bad today. Woke up to snow, but most of it was blown somewhere north. Beaver I'd guess. Maybe Provo.

There was a bit of a drift in front of the garage doors. Had it all shoveled off by 7 am.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
When the toilet has whitecaps, it's windy. laugh
give a computer expect for repair before the computer gets damaged.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Geno, the tractor cabs are pretty warm with the heater off. IME.
A/C is an absolute requirement, though - think "Pheasant Under Glass" if you will !
I'm sure it is a requirement in an enclosed rig.

If I can ever get my '85 MF construction tractor going again it won't have that issue. You can just catch a peek of the Gannon box on the back in the picture of the driveway. No cab on that one. Has been a bit chilly the few times I did use it removing snow. Warm clothes help, and I know how to do that........from experience.
Posted By: VernAK Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
It blew so hard here last week that the small women won't get back until summer.
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When the toilet has whitecaps, it's windy. laugh
Wabi brother your in the thick of it, best of luck!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
Tractor headhouses, warm against the wind, cold with wind at your back.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
Just shoveled 3" of the 'party cloudy' forecast here

More on the way

Mountains doing great with snow pack

Not like last year.....but great
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How windy is it? - 03/04/24
Feeding cows right now on the river and 8 bald eagles just flew over headed north. Kinda neat.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How windy is it? - 03/05/24
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Feeding cows right now on the river and 8 bald eagles just flew over headed north. Kinda neat.
On their way to eat some Canuck fishes!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How windy is it? - 03/05/24
Just shoveled 3" of the 'party cloudy' forecast here

More on the way

Mountains doing great with snow pack

Not like last year.....but great
Our local ones are doing OK.

Some places in the Sierras are doing better, I think some are pushing record status.

Snow Bowl got 113" in the last seven days as of yesterday. Probably got more today.
© 24hourcampfire