Remember the Alamo!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: DMc Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
187 against 3000.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Bless them.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Sam Houston should’ve executed Santa Anna on the spot at the Battle of San Jacinto.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
‘Murica!

One of our key moments in history.
Posted By: EdM Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Was on the news tonight. I am pretty sure Birdie was there.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
It’s Michelangelo’s birthday, too.

P
Posted By: 12344mag Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Let FREEDOM Ring!!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Indeed I was, the guys next to me on the volley firing line had driven in from Louisiana and Kentucky, the Italian guy didn’t make it this year. A guy flown over from England laid a wreath on behalf of their Alamo Society (by far the largest annual Alamo reenactment takes place in England).

Then there’s the many descendants present, Anglo and Tejano, several of whom laid wreaths. Perfectly still dawn, perfect weather. Phenomenal violin player playing a clear and mournful air at the opening. Goosebumps after the volley when the piper closed with Amazing Grace.

The hardest part is out and dressed the part before 5am after working late the night before, glad I went, coulda easily overslept.

Same photo as the other Alamo thread, seems to fit here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Indeed I was, the guys next to me on the volley firing line had driven in from Louisiana and Kentucky, the Italian guy didn’t make it this year. A guy flown over from England laid a wreath on behalf of their Alamo Society (by far the largest annual Alamo reenactment takes place in England).

Then there’s the many descendants present, several of whom laid wreaths. Perfectly still dawn, perfect weather. Phenomenal violin player playing a clear and mournful air at the opening. Goosebumps after the volley when the piper closed with Amazing Grace.

The hardest part is out and dressed the part before 5am after working late the night before, glad I went, coulda easily overslept.

Good on you Mike! Many Thanks!!!!
Posted By: EdM Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24

Then there’s the many descendants present, Anglo and Tejano, several of whom laid wreaths. Perfectly still dawn, perfect weather. Phenomenal violin player playing a clear and mournful air at the opening. Goosebumps after the volley when the piper closed with Amazing Grace.

Same photo as the other Alamo thread, seems to fit here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Spot on Mike.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Then there’s the many descendants present, several of whom laid wreaths. Perfectly still dawn, perfect weather. Phenomenal violin player playing a clear and mournful air at the opening. Goosebumps after the volley when the piper closed with Amazing Grace.

Good on you Mike! Many Thanks!!!!

You’re welcome, but it ain’t like it’s a chore 🙂
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Happy Independence Day

Lotta woke emmeffers that would like to see
the Alamo bulldozed to the ground.
They've already succeeded with changing the
names of schools and streets and destroying
statuary and portraits and other depictions of
those that made the state what it is.
I didn't have any ancestors at Bexar or San Jacinto
AFAIK, other than relatives that attended
San Jacinto school and those that still live in
SA. My momma's line was here in the Republic
days before statehood, and daddy's at least
as long. Hard working people like my folks
and ancestors made it a great place.

Shame that I can't turn the clock back to
their days
Posted By: RiverRider Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
I can't imagine a second defense of the Alamo not being 10 times as intense and determined as the first, or unsuccessful either. Anyone wondering about the sincerity of the admonition to refrain from messing with Texas would surely wonder no more---one way or another.
Posted By: thaxted Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Sam Houston should’ve executed Santa Anna on the spot at the Battle of San Jacinto.

I don't believe that.......I do however believe Sam Houston was wise to exchange Santa Anna's life for Texas,

I agree that Santa Anna deserved to be hanged ( shooting was to good for him )

But deserve has nothing to do with it
cool
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by DMc
187 against 3000.
You know why Santa Anna had only 3000 troups?

Because he only had 5 station wagons….
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: March 6, 1836 - 03/07/24
I watched the John Wayne movie on Turner Classics yesterday. Richard Widmark got it with a bayonet in the belly.
© 24hourcampfire