I do.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
No
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
Sure keep.looking for yours.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
You still get a printed newspaper?
Posted By: Jungleland Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
Yes. When, some years back now, there were a lot of WWII veterans dying, I was often surprised by the amount of a local guys having bronze or silver stars for valor in action or having fought in the Pacific with one or more purple hearts, etc. It was a lesson in humility.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
keeping track of my friends.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
Sure, and I'll quit reading them when I read mine.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
I pay to read the local news PAPER "ONLINE". tHE DELIVERY TO MY PAPERBOX WAS TOOOOO UNRELIABLE. i DO CARE ABOUT THE DEATHS OF SOME OF THE PEOPLE i KNOW. @ 80 I'm seeing my contemporaries die regularly. "SORRY BIDNESS''
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
Not in the paper, but check Legacy and just Google the first ex-wife's name to see if she is gone yet.
Posted By: mathman Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I do.

Your version of the social pages?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
I check the local death notices a couple times a week. If I recognize someone, I'll read the obit when it comes out. I read them online.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
Love it when they die at 82, and show a pic of them when they were 30.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/07/24
I read them back when I was working. I told my crew that if their name came up in the obits they could go home. But they were expected to be back at the next shift. No one ever got the day off though one came close. He had a middle name but the person in the obit did not.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
Yep. Actually saw my name in there once, right down to the middle initial. Was an older guy who was related and lived nearby but it was an eye opener early in the AM.

Dale
Posted By: carrollco Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
To see if you’re the last man standing? Human nature.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Love it when they die at 82, and show a pic of them when they were 30.

I fail to see a problem with that. Why not post a loved one's photo when young and vibrant instead of knocking on death's door.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
Getting some traction with this one Wabi.
You sly ol cornshucker.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
I do it every week or two. I don't live where I grew up so it's a way of keeping up with old friends.
A long time friend of my brothers & I passed on three weeks ago. Jane an RN.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
Twice a week
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
At least once a week - I hate seeing people I know
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Read The Obituaries? - 03/08/24
After my grandmother died, my grandfather lived with us for his remaining few years.

I have never forgotten sitting at the kitchen table one day after school, doing my homework, my mother fixing supper and across the table from me, my grandfather reading the afternoon paper. (There was a morning paper and an afternoon paper in those days, 1957.) As he occasionally did, my grandfather said something to my mother, that someone they knew had died. This time, however, he lowered the paper, looked across it at me, and solemnly intoned, “When you get to be my age, the first thing you read in the paper every day is the obituary page.” He was 85 at the time.

I check the obits on our hometown paper sight every night.
© 24hourcampfire