Anyone been their? Not I.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Alaska - 03/08/24
Is it a real place?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Alaska - 03/08/24
Aug 2012

Seward

Fuggin bay is 1200' deep
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Alaska - 03/08/24
What do you call a good looking woman in Alaska?

Tourist
Posted By: Westman Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Only been to Sitka. Beautiful place.....
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Worked there a couple times.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
View property more than twice the size of Texas. Had I gone there as a youngster, I would have never come back.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I ran away from home when I was 16 and ended up in Alaska. Stayed till the money ran out. Worked there through one winter in 1974 and visited several times. Would like to go again but living in a small-town over-run and ruined by tourists, I won't be one of them, so here I stay.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Family vacation in the 90s, one salmon fishing trip and four hunting trips since. Fabulous place.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I was in Russia once.

I could see Alaska from there.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by 79S
Yes. December 1974 to June 1976. At this place on a hill top. The barracks building is gone but a number of buildings at the launching area are still standing.
https://www.nps.gov/places/nike-site-summit.htm
Originally Posted by JakeM78

Tourist
Rare.

kwg
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Stopped through Anchorage on military charters several times enroute to, or returning from WESTPAC.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
been there not very impressed in any town but the wild areas are very nice
Posted By: EdM Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Fished a couple of times and hunted once. I will return to hunt again in late June and to fish mid-July.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
That's where all my cuzzins are.
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Been to Ketchikan on the ship @ 1963 for 4th of July, and Hyder on a vacation in 93' . Incredible beauty wild and remote. Ketchikan was tall dark almost skyscrapers along the main streets. You can get a drink at the bar in Hyder after crossing into USA from Stewart. Hyder is landlocked. Stewart has a small plane airstrip running at right angles to the end of Mainstreet and one road into town from the North East.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I've got a cabin on the Kenai River------Go up there every summer.
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Yes, twice.
Going again in August.

Plan to be standing on a glacier drinking a bourbon for my 60th birthday.
Posted By: WMR Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Been there a few times. Gonna get dropped in this fall with a gun and some camping gear. A cooperative moose would be appreciated, but we’ll have to see about that. 🫤
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I live in an igloo and a dog sled team is my only mode of transpo
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Too many to count.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
I was in Russia once.

Thank you Tina Fey.
King crabbed after graduating for four years when the crab were huge! back in `1980-84'
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
been there once

for fitty years
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
I was in Russia once.

Thank you Tina Fey.

🤪

Posted By: CashisKing Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Did the fish and crab thing in the late 90s...

Too many walrus women for my taste.

Sorry...

Not sorry.
Posted By: WestMont Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Yes. Yakutat fly fishing for Coho’s. Amazing!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Holy cry, laying on my couch right now almost passed out reading about our neighbor to the north and rez puppy jumps up on my head and starts licking my ear.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Alaska - 03/09/24

Tourist

Yep.....I even went to The Alaskan Bush Co in Anchorage, the women weren't even good looking there!!!!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by 79S
LOL welcome back Pard

Has Partsman had a meltdown via PM with you yet ?

🤣
Largest strain of Coho in the world ! Steelheading is off da hook too. Watch out for the Grizzles crazy

I was good friends with the owner of the Harlequin Lodge. I would bring him gallons of whiskey for free van,driftboat, lodging. .44 mag. Some great times there.
Posted By: las Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I went there once.

55 years ago. Once was enough, apparently.

2 years later, after a month visit Outside, the plane dropped out of the clouds above Indian, where I had sheep hunted a couple months before. I looked down on the mountain sheep trails I had followed and I knew I was home. Wore a silly smirk for about 6 weeks, I think.

It was 10 years before I left again.

How time flies!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Some crazy folks live there, for some reason.

I did for a bit over a year before the job ended abruptly. Living in a camping trailer with an inch of ice on the inside of the window and the thermostat set at 65F was pretty cool. The shoveling snow 3 or 4 times a night behind the truck just to make sure I could get it out in the morning wasn't so much fun.

Had the job worked out permanent like, I might still be crazy enough to be up there. Prolly not in a trailer though.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Went to work in Alaska and loved there for 7 years starting in 1984
Posted By: TF49 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Been to Ketchikan on the ship @ 1963 for 4th of July, and Hyder on a vacation in 93' . Incredible beauty wild and remote. Ketchikan was tall dark almost skyscrapers along the main streets. You can get a drink at the bar in Hyder after crossing into USA from Stewart. Hyder is landlocked. Stewart has a small plane airstrip running at right angles to the end of Mainstreet and one road into town from the North East.

Interesting …. I once lived in Stewart and enjoyed it quite a bit. Hyder and the Hyder bar could be rough….coupla times was enough for me. Beautiful and wild country …. Could be dangerous…..two boys drowned in the Nass River, four schoolteachers drowned in the chuck, one of the townies went off the gravel road into the Bear and poor Jerry Olynyk got knifed in Hyder……

But indeed beautiful and the remoteness makes it special.

Have been to Alaska twice….not counting Hyder…. Once for three weeks and once driving for 6 weeks. Long way from Colorado.

Best places….in my opinion are Homer, Soldotna, Seward and Hope.

If things work out, I will be up there again in July. Plan to spend most of the time on the Kenai.

Btw….winters in Stewart were not bad at all. Fished the chuck all months but January.

Winters in most of Alaska are rough.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Spent 14 summers up the working.
Posted By: DHN Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I was in Kodiak for 4 weeks in '98, and pretty much told I could have the job full time if I wanted it. Having been told about the weather, I declined, later found out the job opportunity fizzled.

I know nothing about the rest of the state.
Posted By: johnn Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Anyone been Hyderized whilst visiting Hyder?
Posted By: TF49 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by johnn

Not me, but it was a sort of ritual that most new guys had to go through…… no law in Hyder when I was there and the nearest sheriff was in Ketchikan…..as far as I could tell, the bartender was “the law.”

Those that went and got Hyderized had to dodge the Mounties at the border when they came back to Stewart.
My wife was and says never again.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Twice first time in 1968 then again three years later. Still here
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Arrived here in 1978. Haven't lived anywhere else since. Trappi g, hunting, dog team, snogos, learned to fly. Have had my own airplane since 1987. Aviation maint. career. Retired now?
Originally Posted by TF49

Not me, but it was a sort of ritual that most new guys had to go through…… no law in Hyder when I was there and the nearest sheriff was in Ketchikan…..as far as I could tell, the bartender was “the law.”

Those that went and got Hyderized had to dodge the Mounties at the border when they came back to Stewart.

I was there once, by mistake, had breakfast in Stewart, filled the tank and turned around.
When I travel, which is rare, people always ask, "what do you like about Alaska".

My answer is, "it's the last civilized place on the planet".
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Family flew into Las Anchoraga in a Connie. Two weeks lived in our first home in Nome. 1958. Have been in 48 states and countries all around the world. Still in Alaska. Still wondering how people can stand live in big cities. To all you New Yorkers and Californians, you heard it here first: Alaska sucks 😉
Posted By: batch Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Looked out the window, it still there.
Posted By: GaryLL1959 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Stopped through Anchorage on military charters several times enroute to, or returning from WESTPAC.

Same here.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by las
I went there once.

2 years later, after a month visit Outside, the plane dropped out of the clouds above Indian, where I had sheep hunted a couple months before. I looked down on the mountain sheep trails I had followed and I knew I was home. Wore a silly smirk for about 6 weeks, I think.

How time flies!

I have seen pictures of your weather and I am somewhat surprised you don't produce more Olympic swimmers.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Alaska - 03/09/24

Tourist

Lol

Definitely a different crowd on the Seattle to Ketchikan leg yesterday. The one gal who actually brushed her hair, was skinny, and put on makeup stuck out like a sore thumb.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I have not, just that.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I got a cuzzin there no schit
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Spent 15 years living in the closest city to AK. Does that count?
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Was a resident from 1977 to 2013. Enjoyed the state immensely. Son and his family moved back last year. We are considering moving back and listed our house for sale. If it sells, we move. If it doesn't we will enjoy Tennessee as we really love it here.
I did visit twice last year and the state seems to be on a downward trend. If we move, most likely we will become Valley Trash.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
We go every year. I have a daughter, son in law, and four grand daughters their. We will stay a month this year. Looking forward to the visit!
Posted By: Windfall Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Yup, I'd been fishing Canada every year, but was getting tired of the drive, border hassle, bait restrictions, possession limits... Then one of my trap shooting buddies said lets go to Alaska. Great, four of us flew into Anchorage, rented a van and drove to a bed & breakfast in Homer. We hired a guide, fished the Kenai and it was the first time that I've ever blistered my hand catching salmon. We'd hit the run perfectly. Then because the ocean was so calm we chartered a half day trip for halibut and the first one that I, or anyone caught that morning was 93# which was unusual for a half day trip. We all limited out on smaller halibut and had such a good time we did it every day after that. Unlike the cruise ship crowd, we went were we wanted when ever we wanted. One of the guys picked up the entire cost of the b&b for the week, so the trip wasn't that expensive. We each flew back with a 50# box of frozen halibut fillets as an extra $20.00 baggage charge. No border issues, no passport needed and as great a fishing trip as any of us had ever experienced.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Spent 15 years living in the closest city to AK. Does that count?
👍 Why, yes it does. "Home is where the heart is" and there is no doubt that you still have a good piece of Alaska there still...
I still look on realtor sites for places on the Kenai
Posted By: Mohall57 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Went once in 77, tough it out till 98. Then moved back to Wyoming where the living is easy. Oil patch trash here.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Cannot imagine living elsewhere...
Posted By: Lslite Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
We've fished Elfin Cove out of Juneau twice. Have seen some pretty places here in Texas and the American West. Coastal Alaska is breathtaking and HUGE !
The KP closed last May. 😉
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by las
I went there once.

How time flies!

I have seen pictures of your weather and I am somewhat surprised you don't produce more Olympic swimmers.

cold water shrinkage ... smashes all hopes & dreams of granduer
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Now that is a most excellent line. Kudos!

I'm skinny, I'll weasel my way in....hopefully

I have 18 years as a resident so I'll quietly find a place. Leave this outside BS outside
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
I have never been. I have been to Hawaii and they are very simular.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Calvin Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Yep. Good ol’ AK. The price of groceries alone would bring most to tap out. At least where I live.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

nice butt
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24

nice butt
Paul's been waiting to hear that from guys here for a long time.
Originally Posted by RUM7

nice butt
Paul's been waiting to hear that from guys here for a long time.
I know,

gonna make it hard for him to ride his bike now.

sheesh
I'm skinny, I'll weasel my way in....hopefully

I have 18 years as a resident so I'll quietly find a place. Leave this outside BS outside

Perhaps you’ll join the breakfast club of pards.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Who won the Idorod?
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Who won the Idorod?
Go tripl3 hole plug yourself with some Iowa curn cobs.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Alaska - 03/09/24

Brother Paul I can see why you went to the dentist. Youse have a mouth full of teefers. Quite a catch you got that day, that fish got an eye as big as one of Wabi's silver dollars.
Posted By: las Re: Alaska - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by las
I went there once.

How time flies!

Not to mention steerage, rudder-wise.
Who won the Idorod?
Just [bleep] stop.

JFC
Posted By: CowEater Re: Alaska - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by batch
Looked out the window, it still there.

Most legit response on this thread.
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Alaska - 03/10/24
Let's get back to talking about Alaska.

I'll start by saying that when halibut get up around 100 lbs. they don't taste very good. I've not caught one but I was told just to throw them back.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Alaska - 03/10/24
It lacks splendor.

Posted By: johnn Re: Alaska - 03/10/24
Watching the sun set from Macdonald Spit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image sharing

Its a tough life in the far north
Posted By: Bob_mt Re: Alaska - 03/10/24
Who won the Idorod?

why?.....you do realize how stupid you are/sound. your need for any kind of attention ....including negative, like this..... is pathetic and not something most men would stoop to. although you seemed to have spawned a following of stupid fu'cks that want to emulate you....bob
© 24hourcampfire