Home
I do.
If unwashed, I DON'T. If washed , yes I do refrigerate.
Yes we raise some chickens on the ranch.
Originally Posted by DLSguide
In the words of Dire Straits...that's how ya do it.
Don't wash either but we do refrigerate
Yes
Yep
I get my eggs from my buddy unwashed and I refrigerate.
Do any of you guys notice a difference from Just laid and fried up to refrigerated for a couple of days and then fried up? I noticed a difference.
We leave them on the counter for a while at room temperature. We wash them as we use them, but if we're not using them fast enough, we'll wash and refrigerate them.
Originally Posted by BamBam
Do any of you guys notice a difference from Just laid and fried up to refrigerated for a couple of days and then fried up? I noticed a difference.
No
I do. Just because, why not? That said, if you have your own egg laying hens, then it isn't nearly as needed, since unwashed eggs, taken right from the hen's nest box, will stay fresh without refrigeration for weeks at room temperature.
Fresh out of the chicken, they'll keep a month sitting on the counter. Wash off the natural film that's on them when laid and it cuts the shelf time considerably. The film keeps bacteria from penetrating the shell to spoil them. Grocery store eggs have been scrubbed and sterilized so they won't keep nearly as long.
Originally Posted by BamBam
There is a noticeable difference between cooked eggs taken that morning from the nest box and those that have been in the fridge for a few day. I don't do that, though, since it's an inefficient way to proceed. Oldest always get eaten first in my house.
Yes, They are gathered , washed and dated every day.
Then refrigerated.
The others that are found in the haybarn etc we use for our consumption. Don't needed unhappy customers.
Originally Posted by comerade
Yes, They are gathered , washed and dated every day.
Then refrigerated.
The others that are found in the haybarn etc we use for our consumption. Don't needed unhappy customers.
Before getting rid of the girls I didn’t wash my eggs and had no problem with them on the counter. The wife did and they ended up in the fridge. I’m pretty sure the US is about the only country that requires them washed and sterilization.
I keep store bought eggs in the fridge, but not the fresh ones I get from my son's place.
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Do you was the eggs before you cook with them? Fried, boiled or otherwise?
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I have hens, so I wash the eggs just before cracking them.
Ditto...
Here is a safety tip, if you do wash them before cracking them into a pan with bacon grease and you have not gotten around to putting pants on.... dry them off first. eek
The fresh ones from a friend of ours stay unwashed on the counter top.
Store bought go to the top shelf of the fridge.
Orange yolks are so much better.
Helpful Hint: Make sure the water you are washing them in is warmer than the eggs, or you may actually drive microbes on the surface of the egg's shell, via the mechanism of osmosis, into the egg itself. When the water is warmer than the egg, osmosis is working in your favor, keeping microbes from penetrating the shell.
Found a whole pile in the barn from some migrant hens. No idea how long they were there. Mom said if they don't float in cold water, they're fine. Indeed they were.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Absolutely. That's what you get when your eggs come from hens that spend their days foraging for wild foods, bugs, small lizards, grubs, tender green leafy weeds and grasses, seeds of many varieties, etc., vs a diet of 100% commercial feed, the latter of which tends to produce pale and less flavorful yolks.

This morning's breakfast:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Absolutely. That's what you get when your eggs come from hens that spend their days foraging for wild foods, bugs, small lizards, grubs, tender wild green weeds and grasses, seeds of many varieties, etc., vs a diet of 100% commercial feed (which tends to produce pale and less flavorful yolks).

This morning's breakfast:

[Linked Image]

Must be painful to unignore people to read, then put them back on!
Must be painful to unignore people to read, then put them back on!
It depends on the topic. If it's a friendly discussion of eggs, for example, I read all the posts (reading posts of ignored members is a simple matter of toggling them). If it's politics, then I know that whoever is on ignore is someone who's posts I have no interest in reading due to a proven inability on their part to remain civil within such contexts.
Helpful Hint: Make sure the water you are washing them in is warmer than the eggs, or you may actually drive microbes on the surface of the egg's shell, via the mechanism of osmosis, into the egg itself. When the water is warmer than the egg, osmosis is working in your favor, keeping microbes from penetrating the shell.
Good to know👍
Yes on refer when they come in the house, unless I know I'm eating eggs the next morning. Then I'll just leave out what I need and put the extras in with the others.

The Gulag Girls have started up pretty regular again, not bad for 6 year olds.

I only wash eggs if they've got a really good dose of scheidt on them. Three nest boxes in the coop, all three are laying in the same one. Seems to be a bit messier than when the first one started laying alone after the daylight came back.

For those who say there's not much difference from commercial eggs to homegrown wandering chicken eggs, tell me which one is the store bought "free range" egg and which came from my hen.

Plan view"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

elevation view of a sort:

Yes
Ever eat duck eggs?
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Ever eat duck eggs?
yep,

but never a seagull egg.

ask Conrad about them, I hear his relatives like them things.
Ever eat duck eggs?
No, but I hear they are not as pleasant to each as chicken eggs, which is why they tend to be used mainly in baking.
The fresh ones from a friend of ours stay unwashed on the counter top.
Store bought go to the top shelf of the fridge.

^^^This^^^

And the fresh ones I get from my friend tastes SO MUCH better.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Fresh out of the chicken, they'll keep a month sitting on the counter. Wash off the natural film that's on them when laid and it cuts the shelf time considerably. The film keeps bacteria from penetrating the shell to spoil them. Grocery store eggs have been scrubbed and sterilized so they won't keep nearly as long.

Yep.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Ever eat duck eggs?
yep,

but never a seagull egg.

I’m betting Big Jim never met an egg he didn’t like. 😜
Ever eat duck eggs?
No, but I hear they are not as pleasant to each as chicken eggs, which is why they tend to be used mainly in baking.
They poof up when fried probly why there good for baking
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Ever eat duck eggs?
yep,

but never a seagull egg.

I’m betting Big Jim never met an egg he didn’t like. 😜

Seagull eggs sound fishy!
As mentioned above….we don’t wash our eggs and we don’t refrigerate unwashed eggs. If they get washed they get refrigerated.

Fresh eggs are better than ones several days old.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yep.

Natural film......hahaha!

Do you have a natural film on your finger after you stick it up your ass?
Ever eat duck eggs?
They poof up when fried probly why there good for baking
Never ate any but baked with them.
Yes on refer when they come in the house, unless I know I'm eating eggs the next morning. Then I'll just leave out what I need and put the extras in with the others.

I only wash eggs if they've got a really good dose of scheidt on them. Three nest boxes in the coop, all three are laying in the same one. Seems to be a bit messier than when the first one started laying alone after the daylight came back.

For those who say there's not much difference from commercial eggs to homegrown wandering chicken eggs, tell me which one is the store bought "free range" egg and which came from my hen.

Plan view"

Properly cooked.
No if they're not washed, yes if they are.
My hens are trained to come to the back door and lay an egg when called...
How long will a washed, fresh egg last in the refer?
We’ve had some questionable ones that peep when fried😂
When I used to Hunt Whitetail in one of the first things I noticed in Mexico eggs weren’t refrigerated. Maybe in some of the enlarger stores maybe. I remember my Aunt raised a lot of chickens and sold eggs. She sold them unrefrigerated. I want to say I read somewhere some of the European counties don’t refrigerate eggs. I also read why they wash them here in the states but I don’t recall the reason.
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
I also read why they wash them here in the states but I don’t recall the reason.
Same reason we pasteurize and homogenize our milk, i.e., no good reason at all, other than the erroneous perception that it makes it more safe.
Unwashed. Unrefrigerated.

A dozen hens keep us overwhelmed in eggs.
Originally Posted by gunchamp
If you want to wash them just put a coat of mineral oil back on and they'll last as long as unwashed eggs
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Until it starts to float when put into water.
Ever wondered why boiling eggs bubble
We’ve had some questionable ones that peep when fried😂
Ha!

when I had 7 hens and more than enough eggs for our use, I'd barter or give them away to friends.

One of them didn't want any as once he got homegrown eggs and one of them had a little chicken fetus in it. Seems that can turn a fella off of fertilzed eggs.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I will admit, a smear of chickenschidt on an eggshell at ohdarkthutty is not appetizing...so I rinse the most egregious appearing. On the other hand, I keep in mind the 'ingredients' in various things like Vienna puppy peckers, potted meat, deviled ham etc...so I don't fret much about impurities on egg shells.
I don't live at home Mon-Fri
I eat 6 eggs a week so the others live in the fridge

Plan view"

You hit on something this thread had me wondering.
Folks talking about not washing eggs like it's horrible.
Personally, I'm not big on having chicken shìt on anything if it's avoidable.

We don't have birds, most of our eggs come from a store.
If we get non-store eggs, they go in the fridge.
If they have shìt on them, we clean them.

Store bought or not?
Grew up mostly on farm eggs, now mostly store bought.
There is a noticeable difference, but it's not what some make it out to be.

Maybe if we had hens,
I'd care more.
And talk incessantly about how superior MY eggs are.
I worked in a grocery store as a teenager. Eggs were on a pallet in the warehouse. Un refrigerated. We put them in the cooler to sell.
Holy he!!, half this campfire would starve to death if they were thrown back 100 years........you do realize, that little bit of whatever is on the shell when you crack it gets good and neutralized when you cook it right?.....in your cast iron pan that your grandmother did not spend near the attention that you do now cleaning it.......oy vey!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Plan view"

You hit on something this thread had me wondering.
Folks talking about not washing eggs like it's horrible.
Personally, I'm not big on having chicken shìt on anything if it's avoidable.

We don't have birds, most of our eggs come from a store.
If we get non-store eggs, they go in the fridge.
If they have shìt on them, we clean them.

Store bought or not?
Grew up mostly on farm eggs, now mostly store bought.
There is a noticeable difference, but it's not what some make it out to be.

Maybe if we had hens,
I'd care more.
And talk incessantly about how superior MY eggs are.

With free range chickens and store bought eggs, big difference IMO. Here's a picture of 2 of our eggs and a store bought brown egg in the pan. So direct comparison, brown eggs to brown egg. Visually the difference is instant. Not just the color, but if you look at the whites, our eggs the whites are heavy and stay together, the white from the yellow egg is run all around the outside of the pan. Watery, bland, and taste like crap comparatively once you're used to different eggs. Again, my opinion but we got lots of comparisons when we were low on hens and had to buy, and it was no contest if you were blindfolded. I wont turn down eggs regardless, but given a choice, free range all the way.

Originally Posted by 78CJ
Holy he!!, half this campfire would starve to death if they were thrown back 100 years........you do realize, that little bit of whatever is on the shell when you crack it gets good and neutralized when you cook it right?.....in your cast iron pan that your grandmother did not spend near the attention that you do now cleaning it.......oy vey!

Yep.
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Holy he!!, half this campfire would starve to death if they were thrown back 100 years.......

Hmm.

No mention of water glassing yet.

Weird.......

Originally Posted by Cheesy
Unwashed. Unrefrigerated.

A dozen hens keep us overwhelmed in eggs.
Same here, only have five, but with just me and the bride, we still give eggs away
Only if they get washed.

Farm fresh eggs last a long time unwashed and at room temperature
Originally Posted by Torqued
Only if they get washed.

Farm fresh eggs last a long time unwashed and at room temperature

I’ve used them for at least 3 weeks on the farm fresh ones, unwashed. They’ll probably last longer than that.

If folks are worried, just use the float test.
1 good duck egg is worth 3 regular chicken eggs, taste fine.

Norm

Same here. Our eggs we just leave out but if we buy them washed we do.

We might be out of the egg buying market soon though. The middle boy bought 24 chicks and has not lost a single one, so the flock is going to be a bit out of hand.
Wash and refridgirate. My grandfather sold dozens of eggs a week to a list of regular customers, mostly the old money types in a nearby city. He stored them in the basement unwashed, washed them clean on Friday nights, put them in cartons and sold them on Saturdays. I never saw any go into the refridgirator, and I never knew of any customers that complained.
© 24hourcampfire