Home
Posted By: 79S Galena Forward Operating Location - 03/11/24
Anyone ever stationed there? Not I

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...se-waits-just-200-miles-from-russia/amp/
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No
Inspected jet fuel storage tanks at King Salmon, Shemya and Elmondorf.

Shemya was a 4 hr flight from Anchorage on a 727 nalmed Tilly.
Originally Posted by jimone
Inspected jet fuel storage tanks at King Salmon, Shemya and Elmondorf.

Shemya was a 4 hr flight from Anchorage on a 727 nalmed Tilly.

Tilly? That's silly.
Reves Aleution Airline, IIRC.
I used work on a crane barge to deliver stuff to all those islands, Attu, Shemya when the B52 surveillance planes flew out of there. Attu was a Coast Guard Loran transmitter, we brought their annual supplies, mainly fuel.
Because it's so far from anywhere, everything the US military hauled in there since WW2 is still there...it's like a trip to a museum of incompleted military projects. Construction materials, vehicles, heavy equipment, wire, pipe, pallets of solidified cement, timbers, lumber, pumps, generators, quonset huts. I was out to Nikolski one time, before I debarked the plane I asked the copilot...where's the terminal?, he pointed to a wrecked airplane alongside the runway...he said that is it there, it's dry inside and they left some seats in it so you can relax until somebody comes. They will hear us take off, and somebody will come from 'town' to see if there is freight.
Originally Posted by jimone
Reves Aleution Airline, IIRC.

Reeves Aleutian Airways...on flights to the outer end of the chain, they flew Lockheed Electra's 188's, supposedly a controversial plane...but they had lots of power and could carry more ice than any other aircraft...so i was told.
50 caliber beach on Shemya is where they dumped surplus ammo from WWII, I wish I took pictures.

Also saw a pod of Killer Whales hunting in the surf. Amazing.

The blue foxes own the island and all personel are required to show them respect.
© 24hourcampfire