Home
Posted By: CashisKing Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
The term "hillbilly" in the United States started early in the 18th century when British soldiers began using it when referring to Scots-Irish immigrants who lived in the frontier areas of the Ozarks and Appalachian Mountains.

These Protestant Irish colonists brought their traditions with them when they immigrated. Many of their stories, songs, and ballads dealt with the history of their Ulster and Lowland Scot homelands, especially relating the tale of the Protestant King William III, Prince of Orange.

Many of the settlers in the Appalachian mountains were of German origin and were named Wilhelm with the short form Willy, a common German name during that time. Those Wilhelms, who went by Bill or Billy, living in the Appalachian Mountains became known as hillbillies, that is Bills who lived in the hills. The term emerged as a derogatory nickname given by the coastal plain-dwelling Southerners to the hill-dwelling settlers of Eastern Tennessee, Western Virginia (including modern West Virginia), and Eastern Kentucky.

The term Appalachian Hillbillies arose in the years after The War Between the States, when the Appalachian region became increasingly bypassed by technological and social changes taking place in the rest of the country.

Until The War Between the States, the Appalachians were not significantly different from other rural areas of the country, but after the war, as the frontier pushed further west, the Appalachian country retained its frontier character, and the people themselves came to be considered as backward, quick to violence, and to make their living from moonshine stills.

Fueled by news stories of mountain feuds, such as that in the 1880s between the Hatfields and McCoys, the hillbilly stereotype developed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.

The origins of the term "redneck" are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or Covenanters, largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown.

The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church.

Although the term "redneck" is characterized by farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields, many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia.

Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially in the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that red-neck was a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians.

The term Redneck refers to a stereotype of usually rural, Caucasian people of lower socio-economic status in the United States and Canada.

Originally limited to the Appalachians, and later the South, the Ozarks, the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains, this stereotype is now widespread throughout North America.

Southern comedian Jeff Foxworthy defines "redneck" as "a glorious lack of sophistication" stating that we are all guilty of at one time or another. The common stereotype of a "redneck" is a group of people that are generally from The South, though can be found throughout the United States. They are considered uncivilized, uneducated, racist, enjoy outdoor sports such as hunting and fishing, and country music. They know how to work on a farm, can fix their own vehicles, and know how to make moonshine. They tend to live in the backwoods.

The terms "hillbilly/redneck" is often misunderstood by those north of the Mason-Dixon line. Many Yankees use these terms to refer to Southerners and treat them as if they were illiterate, uneducated, inbred, and backward compared to the rest of the United States.

Maybe it's time to take a look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country, and God.

You might be a hillbilly/redneck if ~ It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase "One nation, under God"; You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places; you bow your head when someone prays; you stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem; you know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening; you respect your elders; or, you'd give your last dollar to a friend in need.
Sumthing I found this mornin on Fakebook...

Just posting cause I wants to.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
To quote Jeff Foxworthy....... "I think I are one"!
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
I saw that. Interesting read. James Webb has a book about that.
There's a young lady on Instagram who is Appalachian and does some funny reels about the language and culture. FYI, she lives in a holler.
Proud to be an Appalachian with true Scots-Irish ancestry........
Everyone makes fun of redneck or hillbilly until their cars' broke.

(see my sig.)
Posted By: Raeford Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
I saw that. Interesting read. James Webb has a book about that.
There's a young lady on Instagram who is Appalachian and does some funny reels about the language and culture. FYI, she lives in a holler.

There's a solitude that is almost unrivaled living in a Appalachian holler. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: bobski Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
nice view...until some developer comes and buys up ajoining land.
happening everywhere i look.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Proud hillbilly herešŸ˜ƒ
Posted By: okie Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
The 2024 version of this is going on right now just down the river ...
Rednecks With Paychecks....
Originally Posted by bobski

That's our land.....behind[house], in front and on both sides, basically all viewsheds from house.

No publik sewerage or water in this holler currently.

A local developer owns 70 acres that do adjoin us[we sold him 20]
He's currently looking at building 7-8 'high end' homes on it.
Posted By: battue Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24

So, who is to blame...The developer or the local who sold out? Or the local home builders who do the building.
Good post Cash.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
I donā€™t know where the term red neck originated from, but the battle of Blairā€™s mountain in W Virginia is what solidified it into the Appalachian culture and southern history.

https://www.history.com/news/americas-largest-labor-uprising-the-battle-of-blair-mountain

"To distinguish one another in the dense forests, many of the miners tied red handkerchiefs around their necks. They soon became known as the ā€œRed Neck Army.ā€
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by Oldman03
To quote Jeff Foxworthy....... "I think I are one"!
WE need a flag or a motto we can all stand behind, me being of Scottish and German ancestry. How about this one ??
Make
America
Great
Again ??

Be an unsophisticated person of no culture and celebrate.

kwg
Originally Posted by battue

So, who is to blame...The developer or the local who sold out? Or the local home builders who do the building.
The Yankees who move down here and buy said houses. They move away from everything they hate, and then set out to change where they moved to into what they moved from.
Ainā€™t that the truth.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Maybe it's time to take a look at the core beliefs of a culture that values home, family, country, and God.

You might be a hillbilly/redneck if ~ It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase "One nation, under God"; You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places; you bow your head when someone prays; you stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem; you know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening; you respect your elders; or, you'd give your last dollar to a friend in need.
The last paragraph is the reason why I use the term redneck for some folks, and why I take pride when someone says it about me.
Sometime I use hillbilly as a derogatory term for folks way back in the boondocks where they have to pipe the sunlight in. If you have actually boinked a family member, youā€™re a freaking hillbilly.
Guys in the service always called me a redneck or a hillbilly interchangeably trying to get to me.
But I do bow my head and remove my cap when someone is praying, I do most of my own vehicle work, and I have often used unconventional means to accomplish a job such as welding bicycle fork to convert an old refrigerator carcass into a connivence for fishing gear, and using a dump truck lined with a plastic tarp to haul!water.
Reon
So, who is to blame...The developer or the local who sold out? Or the local home builders who do the building.[/quote]

The developer or Import that pushes the price well beyond what a local can afford.

It sucks, it shouldnā€™t happen.
In a perfect world.
We live in a capitalist world. Not perfect, but the best system yet.

The only way it can work.

Life ainā€™t fair
Originally Posted by gregintenn

The Yankees who move down here and buy said houses. They move away from everything they hate, and then set out to change where they moved to into what they moved from.

If you didnā€™t build them there would be nothing to buy. ā€œBuild it and they will come.ā€ Facts are theyā€¦. Your own politiciansā€¦.have been begging Yankees to move down for at least 30 years. They want their money.

However, here we are losing populationā€¦.looks like a win.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Yep
The South put itself up for saleā€¦.Yankees just paid the asking price.

Developers around here are paying as much as $50,000 an acre for property. Itā€™s hard for folks of modest means to pass up that kind of money in this economy.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Developers around here are paying as much as $50,000 an acre for property. Itā€™s hard for folks of modest means to pass up that kind of money in this economy.

I understandā€¦. But some of those developers are Sons of the South.

Traditionally they always have been. The new wave around here are Russian decent. Very clannish, it seems the entire process being contained within the group. Kind of a co-op isolated from as much outside trade labor as possible.

Yep, some developers are local, while others are corporate giants from around the country. All are getting rich at the expense of our culture and rural land. The destruction has to be seen to be believed. It really is sad to see the changes taking place. Our constitution industry down here is massive. A rural kid in N.C. ought to consider relocating to a state thatā€™s losing population, once they are grown. My teenage son has already expressed interest in living in rural Pa., where we have roots. He grew up going up there several times a year and really loves the area. SW Pa. isnā€™t too far from home, so getting back this way now and then is no big deal.
The developer that has purchased land around us is a local that went from being the milkman when I was kid to one the largest developers in the area.
I drive by his house to get to our place through the No Outlet neighborhood.

Our area[New River Valley] is one of if not the fastest growing areas in the state.
Residential development has not even remotely slowed here.

It's bad and good all at the same time, and it's doubtful that this will be our primary residence 10 years from now.
Going to enjoy the solitude and hunting opportunities of our acreage for as long as it lasts then cash out.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Blame the owners who don't care who the buyer is, or where they are from
Around here most are what I call the unshorn and the unshaven, not particularly fond of showering or bathing. They have an aura around them for sure, some just plain stink. Lotsa marijuana growers and meth cooks.
Tim,

You know Iā€™m a Yankee that could get along in the South. However, other than visiting a couple weeks in winter to go shoot, there is little that attracts me. On the whole I find the people welcoming, and the food can be exceptional. However, a little sun goes a loooong way down there. Way too long and high.

And if I didnā€™t have family here, I would be gone. Most likely to someplace in South Dakota.
Regardless of loyalties between 1861-65, there is alot in common, culturally speaking, between the peoples of Appalachia in PA and WV, and the rest of the mountains on down into GA. I'm from western PA and remember being shocked at how different people in eastern PA were the first time I went there. It seems that PA can be divided between folks who are either Pennsyl-tucky or Pennsyl-jersey.
A rural Southerner could find a lot in common with those in the middle of Pa. Along with those around I80 and above. Finding work may not be so easy.šŸ˜‰ Along with the winter chill.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4f6bnNsedZ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Posted By: las Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by TBREW401

When a big NBA star bought a place on the Kenai River just down from a friend/coworker of mine, first Larry put up a life size cutout of the guy's chief rival in the NBA, and "Hi, ******" sign at the cabin when the guy was out fishing.

Later, Larry commented to me," Well, there goes the neighborhood! Let just one millionairei in......"
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Regardless of loyalties between 1861-65, there is alot in common, culturally speaking, between the peoples of Appalachia in PA and WV, and the rest of the mountains on down into GA. I'm from western PA and remember being shocked at how different people in eastern PA were the first time I went there. It seems that PA can be divided between folks who are either Pennsyl-tucky or Pennsyl-jersey.
Great observation! Pennsylvania is two completely different states within one state border!
Some people, even on this board, cannot or will not differentiate the two, and as a conservative ā€œPennsytiuckianā€ it aggravates me no end!
Out In Wyoming a few years ago, Penny and I were browsing through a nice privately owned gift shop. We had both picked some items up for purchase for folks back home. The guy asked where we were from, ands we proudly answered Pennsylvania.
He sorta sneered and said thatā€™s a good place to be ā€œfromā€.šŸ¤¬
We both put the items back and left without a word
By the same token though, we ourselves occasionally apply the same misspoken logic to other states.
I have seen most all of the lower 4&, and I can tell you that CA, NY, MD, VA, and some other ā€œblue statesā€ suffer the same misconceptions and prejudice.
Judging someone by the color of their skin, or where they call home is about as stupid as you can be.
I always try to like and treat people with respect and courtesy. At least until they give me a reason not to.
I tell people all the time that hillbillies and rednecks are not the same species.
Problem is you left without wordā€¦.it could have been handled two ways. Both could have made an impression.

Ran into a rancher in Wyomingā€¦. North or Southā€¦.if you were from E of the Missouri he thought you odd. He thought I dressed funny. I thought his slicker and pearl buttons were a little strange myself.

We hunted together for a weekā€¦. And ended up as friends.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Great observation! Pennsylvania is two completely different states within one state border!
Some people, even on this board, cannot or will not differentiate the two, and as a conservative ā€œPennsytiuckianā€ it aggravates me no end!
Out In Wyoming a few years ago, Penny and I were browsing through a nice privately owned gift shop. We had both picked some items up for purchase for folks back home. The guy asked where we were from, ands we proudly answered Pennsylvania.
He sorta sneered and said thatā€™s a good place to be ā€œfromā€.šŸ¤¬
We both put the items back and left without a word
By the same token though, we ourselves occasionally apply the same misspoken logic to other states.
I have seen most all of the lower 4&, and I can tell you that CA, NY, MD, VA, and some other ā€œblue statesā€ suffer the same misconceptions and prejudice.
Judging someone by the color of their skin, or where they call home is about as stupid as you can be.
I always try to like and treat people with respect and courtesy. At least until they give me a reason not to.

Having lived in Wyoming almost 20 years you might have mistaken prejudice towards PA with a general prejudice actual Wyoming residents have of outsiders. The boom and bust cycles of the energy/mineral industries and the massive influx of out of state plates in the summer and during hunting seasons has made many very cynical of "outsiders".
Posted By: Huntz Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
So us Crackers are felling left out .
Both of you guys point out that we couldā€™ve and probably shouldā€™ve handled it differently.
Maybe talking to the guy wouldā€™ve cleared up some misconceptions he had, and we would probably have come away friends! But the sorta sneer cut the talking short.
We got to talking to a guy and his wife in Bel Forche SD over supper on our way out to Montana.
We were friends by the time we finished, and came away with an invitation to come back and hunt antelope and muleys on their ranch!šŸ˜€
I wish I had gotten his phone number.
I have found in my travels that people really ainā€™t all that different. Most everyone has things that they can agree on. I think I can honestly say that I could live in any state, as long as itā€™s not crowded, and live a completely happy life. But I know I would sure as heck miss these beautiful mountains and valleys that will always be my home.
With me, my redneck background and good upbringing, makes me easy to get along with. Even a black fellow from Baltimore, dyed in the wool Cravens fan, which I hate, got to become pretty good friends working together.
He hates the Steelers as much as I hate the Cravens, but it was a friendly rivalry, because we had many things we agreed on. šŸ˜€
Just the same though, I donā€™t know how many times on this board I have been hammered as a union supporter, that I voted fr that oddball democrat whoā€™s a senator, and other stupid crap.šŸ˜€
Some people just refuse to grow up, I guess.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I tell people all the time that hillbillies and rednecks are not the same species.

They can be. Both are more useful than the average city boy.
How do you hate a football team, when for the most part they respect each other for the dangerous game they play.

Pittsburgh football fans are some of the most obnoxious when the beer muscles are out. Seen a couple sucker punches thrown at Steeler games. Most likely guys who wouldnā€™t last one set of downs.

Walked thru the parking lot once and there was a ring of guys screaming, ā€œsheet, sheet!!!!ā€ Guy in the middle was.
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

They can be. Both are more useful than the average city boy.

For sure, but usually a hillbilly is not a redneck and a redneck is not a hillbilly. Two similar but different languages and cultures.
I grew up in western Pennsylvania during the Steel Curtain era of the 70s , so naturally for 45 years I was a die hard fan of my team.
That ended in 2017 when the National Anthem became to ā€œcontroversialā€!šŸ¤¬ I couldnā€™t care less now who wins or loses. I honestly couldnā€™t guess at their record, or playoff performance in 7 years!
But at that time it was expected of an Steeler fan! We always hated the Browns and the Raiders especially, although I considered the rivalryā€™s as mostly good natured.
As much as I hated the Raiderā€™s, I met a guy in a bar in Seattle. I had a Steeler jacket, my buddy from the service had a Broncos jacket. The guy sent 2 beers to our table, and we joined him and set there talking until last call!šŸ˜€
Had a great time too!
I only ever attended a few games, Pittsburgh is two hours from here. I was close enough to love them, but not close enough to spend money on traveling, parking and tickets. Besides beer was 6 or 7 $ in the stands, and about 50 cents outta the cooler with my friends!
In the few I have went to, I have never seen any arguments let alone violence at any I attended. Never even witnessed a problem. Iā€™m a friendly guy by nature, at least until someone gives me a reason not to be!
I have honestly seen more fights and arguments between close friends on dirt tracks, because something happened out on the track that we feel needs addressed!šŸ˜€
Like I said, thereā€™s a helluva lot more things that bring us together than there are that separates us.
But for some reason, we all tend to pick out that which separates us to argue about.
As a Christian, I guess it the flesh that usually rules our true nature in a corrupt world.
Other than that I got nothing.
Edited to add that the rivalry on the field, especially with the Raiders, often as not had a few cheap shots and needless penalties and injuries. Had I been an actual Steeler, Iā€™m certain that I wouldnā€™t have necessarily been as friendly as most of the fans thought. There was definitely some ad blood, but as a simple fan, it was a sports rivalry.
Heck we actually loved it, and if I still watched, I would definitely miss the rivalries.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
I enjoy history of language. I believe the American southern accent is most closely related to an English accent though I would have suspected it would be something from Downeast Maine which is very close to the English accent. And yes I recognize there are dialects!
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I grew up in western Pennsylvania during the Steel Curtain era of the 70s

I lived outside of Pittsburgh during the "City of Champions" era. Pirates, Steelers, Penguins fan.
Great time to be a sports fan.
Crying shame how much that place has changed.

If one was to draw a line, I always use I 81.

Thatā€™s not quite right.
Itā€™s truly an Appalachia thing. The line runs along the front about 30 miles west of I-81.

Apologies to those in the Poconos and Endless mountains, you all are ok. Mostly. Look at a Blue/Red map, itā€™ll show a lot
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
My lineage is Scots Irish folks that settled in Eastern Kentucky. Then my Dad applied the ā€œReading, writing, and Route 23ā€ thing to find work. I always thought the red neck thing was from when the coal miners wore red bandanas when they marched on Blair mountain. The US Army cut them down with belt fed machine guns. Anyway, the term Red necks has been turned around by the left to mean racist. When I was growing up people called us folks from the south end of Columbus (which was comprised of mostly people from West Virginia and Kentucky) Red necks. Because we didnā€™t take Shidt from anyone. If anyone wants to see a good movie about the coal miners organizing against the coal company watch ā€œMatewanā€. Good flick.

Ron
Around here, folks who live on back roads out in the country and like to hunt, fish and ride four wheelers, dirt bikes and snowmobiles are commonly referred to as rednecks, hillbillies or woodchucks. Those terms are used interchangeably. There are those who take it to the extreme, live in shabby sheds or shacks that more closely resemble a run down chicken coop than a house and use garbage, old appliances, junked cars/vehicles as lawn ornaments. They tend to smell bad and look like something that stepped straight off the set of the movie Wrong Turn or Deliverance. Never been quite sure of the proper term for those folks.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Around here, folks who live on back roads out in the country and like to hunt, fish, ride four wheelers and t are commonly referred to as rednecks, hillbillies or woodchucks. Those terms are used interchangeably. There are those who take it to the extreme, live in shabby sheds or shacks that more closely resemble a run down chicken coop than a house and use garbage, old appliances, junked cars/vehicles as lawn ornaments. They tend to smell bad and look like something that stepped straight off the set of the movie Wrong Turn or Deliverance. Never been quite sure of the proper name for those folks.

White trash ?
Originally Posted by Craigster
Around here, folks who live on back roads out in the country and like to hunt, fish, ride four wheelers and t are commonly referred to as rednecks, hillbillies or woodchucks. Those terms are used interchangeably. There are those who take it to the extreme, live in shabby sheds or shacks that more closely resemble a run down chicken coop than a house and use garbage, old appliances, junked cars/vehicles as lawn ornaments. They tend to smell bad and look like something that stepped straight off the set of the movie Wrong Turn or Deliverance. Never been quite sure of the proper name for those folks.

White trash ?
Doesn't seen quite adequate.
Around here, folks who live on back roads out in the country and like to hunt, fish and ride four wheelers, dirt bikes and snowmobiles are commonly referred to as rednecks, hillbillies or woodchucks. Those terms are used interchangeably. There are those who take it to the extreme, live in shabby sheds or shacks that more closely resemble a run down chicken coop than a house and use garbage, old appliances, junked cars/vehicles as lawn ornaments. They tend to smell bad and look like something that stepped straight off the set of the movie Wrong Turn or Deliverance. Never been quite sure of the proper term for those folks.
I got some neighbors like that no schit
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I got some neighbors like that no schit
Me too. About a mile down the road.
Years ago there was a dialect/language test on the wed based on pronunciation and use of different words. I grew up here in west central Pennsylvania, but that little test always put me in ā€œNorth Dixieā€. I wish I could find it again, but I guess it was taken down. Anyway I never did learn to call pop, soda!šŸ˜€
The days when the Steelers, Pirates and Pens were all winning was a great time to grow up here. Whatā€™s more, I had guns to shoot, places to hunt, cars to mess with, and a couple of great parents. I honestly wouldnā€™t trade places with any Prince or King! I daily thank God for the life He gave me!
Dillon, like I said, I honestly think people are more the same than we think. Dollars to donuts you can find rednecks even in New Jersey. Sometimes you have to put the differences aside, but I know from experience that thereā€™s a lot more that brings us together than there is to divide us.
Unfortunately, the political, government particularly concentrates on the division.
People who wonā€™t unite are easier to controlā€¦
Like I said, my buddies called me redneck and hillbilly, mostly based on the way I talked.
Wasnā€™t Miss Loretta from KY? Beautiful lady. And she fit in with everybody from anywhere she went,
As I said, upbringing has more to do with your personality than color, religion, or where you call home. You either treat people right, or you donā€™t.
Reon
Thereā€™s a entire different language west of the blue ridge
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
Proud to be Redneck, White trash, and Blue collar! Merica!!!
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/15/24
No redneck thread should leave out Jerry Clower
Leon, I've met rednecks in Jersey. Everyone should see the Pine Barrens to get a different perspective on Jersey. South Jersey has a lot of farms and rural areas.
Some of the people are even nice! Honestly,šŸ˜.

Sitting at a delivery in Westerm Massachusetts 30 years ago.
A guy parks his pickup, goes in, and comes out with several guys.
To look at the gobbler he just killed. He had taken the morning off, stopped
by work to show off. Strolled over to look, chatted him up.
Turkey season was a new thing for that area, he was as happy as a pig in poop!

Blackheads, Craigslist, earlybird,

I'd 10 times rather have those neighbors than wannabe rednecks with money.
Grew up with and among such folk, call some kin.
Most of the time if you treat them well, you are in like Flynn and have the most
loyal of friends. Most of the time.

They know who they are, but do have pride.
If you take them for who they are, they appreciate it.
Tim,

You know Iā€™m a Yankee that could get along in the South. However, other than visiting a couple weeks in winter to go shoot, there is little that attracts me. On the whole I find the people welcoming, and the food can be exceptional. However, a little sun goes a loooong way down there. Way too long and high
And if I didnā€™t have family here, I would be gone. Most likely to someplace in South Dakota.

No doubt, Harry. You would fit in down here right away. You are always welcome too! smile. I wouldnā€™t leave SW Pa. if I were you. Maybe Mason Ray will be one of your neighbors someday!
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Then thereā€™s discrimination laws concerning the who and the where from.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
Uncle of mine married a gal from Scranton Pa her family is the definition of PA hillbillyā€™s holy fuqkšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
true hillbilly here.i live at Hatfield, ky.
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
true hillbilly here.i live at Hatfield, ky.
You ainā€™t a McCoy is you
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
probably 10 miles to the nearest mccoy.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
I wonder where a "Hick" fits in, between hillbilly's and rednecks?
Posted By: BFaucett Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24

grin smile
Posted By: BFaucett Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24

Visit Historic Matewan, West Virginia
with Kim McCoy
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Leon, I've met rednecks in Jersey. Everyone should see the Pine Barrens to get a different perspective on Jersey. South Jersey has a lot of farms and rural areas.
Some of the people are even nice! Honestly,šŸ˜.

Sitting at a delivery in Westerm Massachusetts 30 years ago.
A guy parks his pickup, goes in, and comes out with several guys.
To look at the gobbler he just killed. He had taken the morning off, stopped
by work to show off. Strolled over to look, chatted him up.
Turkey season was a new thing for that area, he was as happy as a pig in poop!

Blackheads, Craigslist, earlybird,

I'd 10 times rather have those neighbors than wannabe rednecks with money.
Grew up with and among such folk, call some kin.
Most of the time if you treat them well, you are in like Flynn and have the most
loyal of friends. Most of the time.

They know who they are, but do have pride.
If you take them for who they are, they appreciate it.
I know who they are and what they're about. Lived around here my whole life. They're lazy, dumb and dirty. No thanks. I've got enough friends of better quality.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
Reminds me of Carols brother! šŸ˜€
Years ago on the first day of buck season it was around 50*.
Dad, Dave and I were in the garage cleaning a couple that we shot early in the morning.
So Danny pulls in with his pickup. He comes in and drags us out to see the 8 point his new wife had killed!
ā€œThatā€™s great Dan. Tell Karen congratulations. As warm as it is, bring it in and weā€™ll take care of it.ā€
But he wanted to ride to someone elseā€™s place to show off her buck!šŸ˜€
Things like that is another reason I like to do my own butchering.
That evening we were watching the news, and they were showing vid of a butcher shop in Johnstown. People were lined up with deer theyā€™d taken. Quite a few of them hadnā€™t even been field dressed!šŸ˜’
When it warm like that, we get them cleaned up quickly, and get the meat cooled out right away. Iā€™ve even taken a couple gallon jugs of ice along on really warm days to put inside the cavity should I get lucky.
The sooner you get them taken care of, the better.
My ancestors are Scottish and Irish and I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains. View from my porch.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
Hillbilly, hick, redneck north of the mason dixonā€¦Iā€™ll answer to any complimentary term as such. Hell even white trash with money! Iā€™m from a holler, left the holler for my Army years, returned to the holler. Still hunt and fish and cut wood in that hollerā€¦but live on a hilltop about 7 hollers over from it. Unapologetically country as hell, and ainā€™t changing for nuthin. šŸ˜Ž
I love it.
I was working in Johnstown, driving 30 miles one way. A couple friends asked me why I live out where I live. ā€œWhat do you get outta driving so far if you need somethingā€?
My reply was that I drive a ways for work and groceries and beer, but I can shoot my rifle from the deck and I can walk a half mile or so to go hunting.
A manā€™s gotta have his priorities straight.
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Hillbilly, hick, redneck north of the mason dixonā€¦Iā€™ll answer to any complimentary term as such. Hell even white trash with money! Iā€™m from a holler, left the holler for my Army years, returned to the holler. Still hunt and fish and cut wood in that hollerā€¦but live on a hilltop about 7 hollers over from it. Unapologetically country as hell, and ainā€™t changing for nuthin. šŸ˜Ž
Exactly!šŸ˜€
arial picture of my stompin groundsā€¦we lived about two thirds of the way up the holler, my brother still lives there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Back 40 fishin šŸ¤Ŗ
Posted By: ldholton Re: Hillbillies and Rednecks - 03/16/24
officers exact words "some hillbilly [bleep]"

Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
arial picture of my stompin groundsā€¦we lived about two thirds of the way up the holler, my brother still lives there.

Nice.

I can see why one would return to setting like that.

DF
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
probably 10 miles to the nearest mccoy.
Them Hatfields quit shooting at McCoys?

Maybe 10 miles between themā€¦..

DF
Ran into a rancher in Wyomingā€¦. North or Southā€¦.if you were from E of the Missouri he thought you odd. He thought I dressed funny. I thought his slicker and pearl buttons were a little strange myself.

We hunted together for a weekā€¦. And ended up as friends.

That Sir... is very very often the case.

Many a man here is odd to me... as I am odd to them... but the core values we each hold... are above all of that.
© 24hourcampfire