Home
Posted By: kamo_gari Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Had a couple of old friends over tonight to spend some quality time with us at our pad and relax this evening. Maybe wine and dine the girls some.

Canned marine snacks from Portugal? Check. Pork products and beef chunks smoked in Texas? Check. Mollusks from northern Japan? Check. Big piles of crab and smoked salmonids wild caught in Alaska? Check. Having a blast with local people out of the North Shore? F*ck yeah.

Meat/sausages from TX, canned marine goods from Portugal, scallops from northern Japan, crabs and salmon from Alaska, all prepared by some Boston bastard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Henryseale Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
I'm just thankful I had a PB&J sammich with milk for supper. Happy for 'ya.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Lucky Bastards, and they know it! Well done as always Kamo.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Bet that didn’t suck.
Posted By: rong Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Great looking spread,beet salad is one of my favorites.
What's the dealio on the small dish/odd shaped bowl,squid/apples?
Posted By: poboy Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Great pic of your friends\with your dog.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Kamo,
I honestly wouldn't know how to eat at your table.

Reminds me of a PA hillbilly kid, in Hildago TX.
Looking at a plate of fajitas, wondering what in the hell did I order,
and what in the hell are those flat, pancake looking things.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Much better than the Domino's pizza I had.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
👍👍👍
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Fuqk them poor people 🤣🤣🤣

Man that looks good.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
That’s an amazing spread.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Heck of a spread Leighton.....you and friends are eating well but I'm worried about the dog......did you save a little for the pooch?
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Everything looks delicious. Especially the scallops.
Please tell us more about the canned marine snacks from Portugal
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
And yet, somehow, those people manage to smile as though they are enjoying themselves. wink grin

(Your "Bastard from Boston" reminds me of the very angry (at his dispatcher, not me, thank goodness) driver from Boston, who, when I presented him with his load sheet, requested to use my desk phone. He placed a collect call and the first thing he said was (forgive the poor imitation of the accent), "Ah thought you had a load for me for Bahstan, yah dirty Bahstad!".)
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Lookin’ good. Could you even walk after all that? 😁
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Quite the spread per usual Kamo.

Out of all of it the only thing you'd catch me trying to hide is the walnuts, lol. Looks killer.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Oh baby!

Where Da Spicy Miso At?
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by rong
Great looking spread,beet salad is one of my favorites.
What's the dealio on the small dish/odd shaped bowl,squid/apples?

I always enjoy a proper beet salad as well. Usually in summer, but we had some wonderful herb goat cheese so I tossed (ha, ha) it together.

The other dish you refer to I made with a few cans of octopus and squid in oil that we brought back from Portugal a few weeks back. I added sliced apple, orange zest, Bermuda onion, shallots, lemon juice, tomatoes on a bed of baby arugula. We ordered it at a tapas joint in Lisbon and really liked it. Easy to make and delicious.

Dillonbuck, you'd do just fine. Nothing more than a fork required for everything served, except for the crab. That mostly gets ripped apart bare handed. I saved all the shells and a few pounds of the intact dungee clusters and am going to see about making a crab bisque. I've made bisques from lobsters for years but neer tried it with crab.

HJ, I like the walnuts for the crunch and nuttiness. Some don't care for them. Just knock 'em off and proceed. wink

AV8R, in addition to daytime walks, I always take the labs out late night for their last walk. Last night was no different, except it was probably at a little slower pace. wink Honestly though, when we throw casual meals like that together, it's kind of an all night thing. Put everything out and let people pick away at whatever they want, when they want, moving from table to couch and whatever. Have a drink, have a few bites. Catch up and BS with our friends, have another drink and another small plate. Go downstairs and shoot a game of pool, come back up for another plate. That goes on until someone decides it's time for the main course (usually me).

The crabs went into the steam a couple, maybe three hours after we started. Our friends arrived at 6 and headed out at around midnight. Very unlike a typical Thanksgiving type feast, where piles of food are plated, everyone gorges themselves and lapses into a food coma and are ready for a nap and maybe a football game. I like both, but prefer eating small portions over a few hours while I work on a buzz, then bring out the main dish.

Cheers and ta for the comments, gents.
Posted By: rong Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Sounds good,my MIL makes a octopus,olive ,celery type of salad and it's fantastic.
Livin large.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Looks like a hell of a spread.

One of the few things I miss living down here is a variety at the local grocer.
Wanted to make some pickled veg to top brats. Picked up the usual English cukes, carrot, onion….asked the guy stocking in produce if they had any daikon radish.

“A whhhuuut?” 😁

All good. Red radish will do.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Crabs aren't an issue, those we eat.
Local store had Opillos, nice sized, $100/20#.
We bought two cases. Stocked up for quick meals.
Scallops too.

Other stuff there that's a bit unfamiliar.

Good food, is usually good.
Somethings a guy just doesn't like.
I have never understood those who "don't like" strange foods.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Dude...

We could party...

BIGLY.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/16/24
Absolutely. Just have to have a positive attitude and not discount schit before ya try it.

Everybody has limits I suppose. I had a G Mother inlaw that would fight ya for the eyeballs out of a sheep’s head. I happily acquiesced.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I have never understood those who "don't like" strange foods.

My old man had a rule about trying foods for me and my brother when we were very young. Basically, it was, 'I want you to try it once. If you don't care for it, I won't force you to eat it ever again, but I insist that you boys at least try it. If you don't, you'll never know...' I've lived by that my whole life.

MM, that's funny. It's only been about five years since local supermarkets have regularly carried daikon and other Asian veg and other stuff. Before that, we had to go to Asian markets to get sundries.

Leonard, I realize. We should get a plan together one of these days. wink
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
Dungeness crab feed season is in full swing on the WC.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
What does that mean?

Feed season?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What does that mean?

Feed season?

Like fish frys but with crab.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
Sounds delightful.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
kg, our fathers thought alike.

Our girls were raised the same.

I ordered an Ahi Tuna appetizer on vacation (paying for an appetizer is as unusual for me as eating raw fish, the ground shook). Em, the youngest and I loved it, Mom and the oldest tried it. Mom actually liked it, but couldn't get past the raw fish idea.

Now Em is into eating sushi.
In the one place, 35 miles away, that serves it.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
Wow! Looks great!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24

I ordered an Ahi Tuna appetizer on vacation (paying for an appetizer is as unusual for me as eating raw fish, the ground shook). Em, the youngest and I loved it, Mom and the oldest tried it. Mom actually liked it, but couldn't get past the raw fish idea.

Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/17/24
One of these days...
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/18/24
How the crap do you guys remember this stuff?
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by 5sdad

TB was a fine QB. A culinary oaf too, it seems.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/25/24
Hell of a spread brother!! I’d definitely hurt myself sitting down to a feast at like that! We suffered though some homemade 20 Mile moose stroganoff tonight! Haha!
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Not a Steakbomb... ;) - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by VernAK
Heck of a spread Leighton.....you and friends are eating well but I'm worried about the dog......did you save a little for the pooch?

Have you seen his dogs?

LOL
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Hell of a spread brother!! I’d definitely hurt myself sitting down to a feat at like that! We suffered though some homemade 20 Mile moose stroganoff tonight! Haha!

Too funny. I'm on deck for Wednesday to cook again for the boys at the club. I'm going to bust a 20 Mile moose meat chili with Japanese sticky rice to pile it on, compliments of some Mainiac who gifted me a bunch last time I was out that way. Thanks to you, SD, 358Norma, KKAlaska and DaninAK. All those cats were incredibly generous and took great care of me, and always have.
The smoked salmon in the OP was a gift, as well as other stuff from the TX boys. NIce to have friends! smile

© 24hourcampfire