Home
Can't cash-in my change jar anywhere in town...even with an acct, local banks won't count your change anymore, Walmart used to count change, but now, like every other retail store, they have those change counting machines that charge you 10-12 percent to count it. G.D. thieves, I tell ya.
Posted By: centershot Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Spend a handful a day.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
If you are talking about the coin star machines at Walmart, some locations you can get an E Gift card for no fee to use at a bunch of locations.
You can get a card to use at home depot, lowes, cabelas, among others.
Better than losing the fee or rolling up a ton of coins.
https://www.coinstar.com/
Posted By: Teal Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
My Credit Union counts mine. No issues.
Your bank should do it. They used to do it happily back when folks gave a crap about customer service. Come to think of it, that’s all a bank has to differ itself from all the other banks. I’d ask them again, and then change banks to one that does actual services for its customers.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Last time I had a bunch of loose change ($2500+) my credit u said I had to roll it all before I could bring it in and get credited for it.
OK, I did, the first think they done was bust it all apart and recount it to make sure I was correct on the total! Go figure. smh
Posted By: VernAK Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
I figured out the $/lb and weighed my coins. I then traded for ammo to my friends that own the LGS.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
I stuff handfuls of change into the self-checkouts.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by VernAK
I figured out the $/lb and weighed my coins. I then traded for ammo to my friends that own the LGS.

That’s a pretty good move.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
For years we’ve been heading towards a cashless society. Businesses have quit accepting checks long ago and prefer credit cards. They’ll take cash when necessary. Inflation has risen so much that cash is not practical. A trip to the grocery store normally runs in excess of $100. The pot has been steadily reaching the boiling point.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Have a couple thousand $ worth currently in a 5 gal jug.
All .05/.10/.25 [pennies are kept separate].
We'll use it towards a 40th anniversary trip next year.

Local bank will count/deposit free as long as there is an account there.
Time to start sorting through it for missed silver etc
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Banks aren’t really about customer service anymore. Wife deposits a lot of quarters from machines at laundromats, the bank refuses the Canadian quarters, won’t exchange them. It sorts them out immediately.
Maybe try a credit union.
My bank still does. Usually it's @ $150----I do it when I 'm going on a road trip. It's about every other year---I like to hunt hogs in TX.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Teal
Yep, left WF a few years ago and can't believe how much better a credit union will treat you.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
10% fee from the Coinstar is worth it.

I roll doobies not nickels.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Teal

My old credit union had a small room with a counting machine that rolled them and gave you a deposit ticket to take to the cashier. My current bank still has their tellers rolling the coin, imagine that...
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Your bank should do it. They used to do it happily back when folks gave a crap about customer service. Come to think of it, that’s all a bank has to differ itself from all the other banks. I’d ask them again, and then change banks to one that does actual services for its customers.
Yep, I remember when you could bring a jar full of coins to the bank, and they'd simply put it through a counting machine and either hand you the paper currency for it, or deposit that amount into your account, at your preference.

There was a funny scene on Seinfeld where Kramer brings a jar full of pennies to the bank, and is refused, so he decided to spend them all for ordinary expenditures throughout the day.

Posted By: akrange Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by slumlord

Smokey says ..
Posted By: Scotty Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
I have taken them to Walmart and use the self serve counter. Of course it depends on how much you have.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Credit unions and small town banks still do it for you. My small town bank told me not to put it in rolls, just loose. The machines dont count per se, they use weight. If you have silver content or canadian coins it kicks em out into a seperate tray.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
I always roll mine before taking it to the bank. If I worked there, i wouldn't want some assbag showing up Friday evening with a wheelbarrow full of change wanting it counted and converted to dollars while he stood watching and holding up the line for human customers.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I always roll mine before taking it to the bank. If I worked there, i wouldn't want some assbag showing up Friday evening with a wheelbarrow full of change wanting it counted and converted to dollars while he stood watching and holding up the line for human customers.
Well Greg they break open the rolls and dump in a machine so it really doesn’t matter how you bring it in,, now time of day can piss off people sure but packaging no way unless your that type that doesn’t honk it should be allowed
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Well Greg they break open the rolls and dump in a machine so it really doesn’t matter how you bring it in,, now time of day can piss off people sure but packaging no way unless your that type that doesn’t honk it should be allowed
I'm in a small town and go to a small town bank. I'm not sure they have a machine, and they seem awfully appreciative the coins are rolled.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Your Church collection plate would be one place to put them
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Dang man it takes longer for them to rip rolls open and dump individually than it does for them to scoop and dump. Counted and loose is the fastest.
Posted By: WMR Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Ha! Wabigoon for the win! Take that you haters! Best answer so far.

Our local bank has a change machine that we can pour our coins in. It kicks out a slip which we take to the teller for $$. We do it about once a year and take the $$ on a vacation as spending money.

Cashless society? Not here. We still spend cash for most all day to day expenses. I had to give in and use the card for gas now, as all the stations are prepay if using cash.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
My small town local bank will still count them for free, if you have an account there. I normally drag them in about 2 gallons at a time, every several years.

The older women that have been there for years, just put a grin on their face and nod me towards the new person there. I just dump them off and leave a deposit slip for my checking account with the new person. Pretty funny for myself and the long time workers.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Ever stand in line at Toys R Us behind a couple kids that are smashing piggy banks? Pyramids can decay in the time it takes to get through.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
175 million dollars in nickels = 83 trucks with a ten yard load of nickles. Just thought I’d throw this out there since we’re talking about nickels. Trump should dump them at the James office. Probably not that many nickels available though. Lol
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
I think the nickel in a nickel is worth more than the nickel.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by IA_fog
I'm in a small town and go to a small town bank. I'm not sure they have a machine, and they seem awfully appreciative the coins are rolled.
So if smalls town and has no machine they still gotta hand count so if loose it doesn’t really matter. It is the time of day that makes an assbag
Posted By: slumlord Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
so you nickel and dime God?

Doesn’t sound like you’re tithing
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24

🤣🤣
Originally Posted by Cecil56
My small town local bank will still count them for free, if you have an account there. I normally drag them in about 2 gallons at a time, every several years.

The older women that have been there for years, just put a grin on their face and nod me towards the new person there. I just dump them off and leave a deposit slip for my checking account with the new person. Pretty funny for myself and the long time workers.
I like the cashiers at our bank. They aren’t paid a lot, and I try to be as considerate as possible to them. If the azzholes who ran the bank had to count them, it would be a different matter.
I pay for everything at the checkout line with them.
I have zero coins

Few times I use cash, if I get some coins back, goes right into the tip jar.
Posted By: pappabear Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Just roll it...not a big deal!
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I think the nickel in a nickel is worth more than the nickel.
It is indeed, and the chalice with the palace holds the brew that is true.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
Customer service at Walmart has a change machine.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/26/24
so you nickel and dime God?

Doesn’t sound like you’re tithing

Ka-plink, Ka-plink. We good.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Speaking of nickels... - 03/27/24
Pennies, nickels & dimes, collected over 10 years, can weighs about 126#. Figure there's over $800 bucks in there. I save quarters and half's in a separate can, cash those in every year. This year they amounted to $208.50 . My CU has a coin counter, but can't figure a way to haul in a 126# can of coins.
Don't need the $$ so i just keep dumping my change in. Maybe the Grandkids will enjoy sorting those coins out some day.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by jbmi
Pennies, nickels & dimes, collected over 10 years, can weighs about 126#. Figure there's over $800 bucks in there. I save quarters and half's in a separate can, cash those in every year. This year they amounted to $208.50 . My CU has a coin counter, but can't figure a way to haul in a 126# can of coins.
Don't need the $$ so i just keep dumping my change in. Maybe the Grandkids will enjoy sorting those coins out some day.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Use a feed scoop to fill up a smaller container (whatever size is more manageable), then bring one such container-full a week into your credit union.
© 24hourcampfire