Home
I generally like about 68f, but prefer to sleep at about 64f. The neighbors keep their place at 78f. I realize as we get older, some need to be warmer.
68 / 69
70 in the daytime 64 at night!
By chance, you ever been poisoned by a girlfriend and had to eat bbq grill charcoal??
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
By chance, you ever been poisoned by a girlfriend and had to eat bbq grill charcoal??
someone asks a whole lotta questions, eh?

But, I somehow don't think it's the charcoal eater.
Originally Posted by Alan_C
I generally like about 68f, but prefer to sleep at about 64f. The neighbors keep their place at 78f. I realize as we get older, some need to be warmer.

Yep, wallowing around in geezerhood in Idaho's winter tells me I am more comfortable when I have the thermostat set at 78° F. I turn the furnace off at 8:00 PM and the house has cooled down somewhat by the time I go to bed around 11:30 PM. I suffer no shortage of good wool blankets. wink The furnace comes back on the next morning at 7:00 AM and by the time I get up around 9:00 AM, the house is comfortable. smile

I have no intention whatsoever of being cold in my own home. laugh

L.W.
I generally like about 68f, but prefer to sleep at about 64f.
Jimmy phuqkin' Carter over here...
I like not too hot and not too cold the best.
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
I generally like about 68f, but prefer to sleep at about 64f.
Jimmy phuqkin' Carter over here...
I think I just got good blood circulation . Whenever I go camping with friends in the mountains, they all complain about sleeping cold. I always bring a light sleeping bag (3lb) and sleep fine.
70 at night, 75 during the day in summer, winter about 65
Three Dog Night...

You are still showing out as a plant.
69 winter, 72 summer
Originally Posted by hanco
70 at night, 75 during the day in summer, winter about 65
+1
Thermostat is set at 65 and I’m not sure that we’ve moved it in years
67-70. It just depends what I’m doing, sitting around then it’s 70. Tasks, then it’s 67-68.
winter time, I set the heat to 65, and in the summer, the AC is set to 68
65. We keep it cool, and just wear sweaters. Saves on firewood and propane, supposedly it is healthy to have a cooler house.
80 when it's hot and 60 when it's cold during the day. At night the house will get into the low 50's.
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

Seems innocuous enough. Kind of like the plastic potted plant in the corner of the dentist's office.
68 in the winter and 73 in the summer.
Aim for 68/69 year round. If it gets colder no biggie. We typically see how far into the winter we can go before turning the heat on. Usually it hits low 50s before that happens. I can be cold. I can’t be hot.
69 in winter. 71 in summer.

Ron
Whatever temp the wife says is not cold or hot. That depends on her mood, what kind of day she had, how much she is moving , how long she will be sitting, and likely a dozen other things over the last 37 yrs. I am starting to figure out how she thinks. By the time I find out exactly, I will be 6' under.
Thermostat is set at 61. I think it may read low by a few degrees. Working outside in below freezing weather all winter keeps the blood pretty thick.
I sleep best when its about 40 degrees, but use a sleeping bag as a blanket, so I am toasty. Probably spent too many nights out camping in my youth. My wife is the type that is always freezing to death, even when its 75 degrees in the house. She's like a cat that is happy when its sleeping on top the radiator.

She always has the thermostat set on the same temp as the oven, or it feels like that to me. If I turn it down, she turns it up... even if that is 50 times a day. When we bought this house, she just had to have a house with a pool, because " she always wanted one. " Yet in 6 years she hasn't been in the pool ONCE. Any time I ask her, why she doesn't go in the pool, her complaint is that "its too cold" for her. So then why did you have to have a pool so bad?
"Because I've always wanted one". That makes sense to her....certainly not to me.

It can be 105 degrees outside, and she still will be sitting in the house, watching TV with a sweater on, and the A/C sitting on 80 degrees.
In Florida I keep it at 72. When I’m in Alabama in the winter I keep my cabin at 65.
winter/cooler weather 58-62 bedroom 65 house. 72 sitting/family room. 5 zone heat, wood stove, fireplace.

summer bedrooms 65, rest of house whatever the housefan, shadey oaktrees, and prevailing wind coming out of the valley permits
66 day

62 night
65 to 72
I rarely look at the thermometer. If it gets too cold, I open the damper and put more wood on the fire. Too warm, close the damper, maybe crack open a window for a while.
The house temp is 75 in the winter.
I don't like wearing many clothes in the house, like moving air. Ceiling fans run
constantly.

70-72 in summer.

Our bedroom is on a corner, heat turned off, the window is only closed completely
if it's near single digits.
We have a thermometer in our room out of curiosity , we don't like it to get colder
than the high 40s.

When I go in there and it feels like a refrigerator, the bed gets an extra blanket and I know I'll sleep like a baby.

Might be years of sleeping in an orange truck with no heat, everywhere from Quebec
to Cali.

It can't be too cold to sleep if you are prepared.

Trying to sleep in a truck in 90° temps with the hot engine 18" directly under you?
🤬🤬🤬
Don't have a thermostat and heat with a wood stove in the basement. Temperature fluctuates a bit. Right now, it is 65 in the house, since I didn't have a fire last night. I'm reminded, I need to go throw some more wood on the fire. GD
Winter we run 68 in the day and 65 at night
Summer is whatever since we don't have air conditioning. Open windows at night if we need to cool down
66 usually......may tolerate 80 in summer, whatever i can get away with without running the unit.
We keep our downstairs family/living room at 64 F with a freestanding propane stove. As there is no ducting system…..the rest of the house is a bit cooler. Our upstairs bedroom runs about 57 to 59 in the winter.! memtb
Wife and I worked outdoors in winter our entire working career...I guess we just can't get over that, so the living room is generally between 80 and 90 deg all winter...we are not happy unless we got flames shooting out of the chimney pipe. Oak when it's warm and rainy...Doug fir when it's cold...Doug fir bark when it's really cold.
I am of the age where wood cutting is not much fun anymore...but I gladly do it...thinking of the coming winter. I don't know how unstable I could get when the democrats go after wood heat.
72 in the winter, 74 in the summer.....generally because that's where the wife is comfortable, she's a diabetic.
Warmer in winter..72 ish

Cooler in summer.....68 ish
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
someone asks a whole lotta questions, eh?

But, I somehow don't think it's the charcoal eater.

Not the socket set finder?
I think the question should be: "At what temperature do you keep your homes?"
My wife's cheap, 63 in the winter and a/c at 78 in the summer.
Winter - 74-77 days, drops to 66 nights. (wood heat).

Summer - 72..
Originally Posted by smokepole

Seems innocuous enough. Kind of like the plastic potted plant in the corner of the dentist's office.
Shirley you jest?
I have a friend who keeps his house at 53 F in the winter. I wonder what the metabolic / health affects could be.
Originally Posted by smokepole

too many information gathering questions...
Originally Posted by night_owl
I have a friend who keeps his house at 53 F in the winter. I wonder what the metabolic / health affects could be.
Mold...
What color panties does your wife wear?
Originally Posted by Whelenman
70 in the daytime 64 at night!

That's us, with a bedroom window cracked at night.

Well those temps are what the hallway thermostat reads - the bedroom by morning is often colder!
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Mold...
About 10 years ago I was working for a contractor doing siding repairs / remodeling. Contractor got a remodel job where a deceased professor had lived. The home was built in the 70’s. The professor never did any improvements or upkeep on the place. The home was full of mold. A specialized contractor came in to remove the mold as we could not touch it. I asked one of the mold workers how dangerous was mold. He laughed and said there was more mold in Blue Cheese salad dressing. Also said if your immune system is good, you have nothing to worry about.
I like to keep mine about medium. Wife likes that too.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Mold...
About 10 years ago I was working for a contractor doing siding repairs / remodeling. Contractor got a remodel job where a deceased professor had lived. The home was built in the 70’s. The professor never did any improvements or upkeep on the place. The home was full of mold. A specialized contractor came in to remove the mold as we could not touch it. I asked one of the mold workers how dangerous was mold. He laughed and said there was more mold in Blue Cheese salad dressing. Also said if your immune system is good, you have nothing to worry about.

I think mold danger is pretty much B.S. But it might be like desert fever for some susceptible people.
71 pretty much year round. What made a lot of difference was putting in an automatic Aprilaire humidifier a couple years back. The humidity level is kept at a constant 38-42% humidity level and more moist air sure is more comfortable in the winter and seems to hold the heat in the house better.
66 in the winter
68 in the summer
I set the thermostat = my age
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I set the thermostat = my age

88 is too hot.
58/65

WS
68 summer, 60 to 80 winter, the Buck Stove is hard to regulate, sometimes we have to open the doors in the winter if we misjudge.
68 in the winter and 74-75 in the summer. Some folks think 74-75 is way too warm, but when it's 100 deg+ outside, like it is here in the summer, 74-75 feels damn cool. I may cut it down to 73 at night in the summer, but rarely.

No, I'm not old, At least not real old...lol
Originally Posted by ihookem
Whatever temp the wife says is not cold or hot. That depends on her mood, what kind of day she had, how much she is moving , how long she will be sitting, and likely a dozen other things over the last 37 yrs. I am starting to figure out how she thinks. By the time I find out exactly, I will be 6' under.

I married her twin
Room temperature.
69 in winter - day
65 in winter - night
74 in summer - day
69 in summer - night

It'll increase your metabolic rate to maintain body temp, assuming indoor clothing. Sleeping under light blankets does the same thing.

Like I said, I keep the house at about 61, but I'm wearing thermals and double socks all winter long working outside. With my metabolism, anything warmer than that and I can't stay asleep.
Originally Posted by Dutch

It'll increase your metabolic rate to maintain body temp, assuming indoor clothing. Sleeping under light blankets does the same thing.

Like I said, I keep the house at about 61, but I'm wearing thermals and double socks all winter long working outside. With my metabolism, anything warmer than that and I can't stay asleep.
Are you sleeping with thermals and socks on?
Originally Posted by Dutch

Are you sleeping with thermals and socks on?

nope, just my skivvies under a down comforter.
© 24hourcampfire