Home
Since I couldn't edit the title of the original thread I started this one to get visibility for an amazing piece of detective work by an exemplary officer who is a huge asset to the Knoxville TN PD. Detective Ogle posted the following on the site that I copied the original thread from. No details on how things worked out, just that things DID work out!

Detective Ogle is to be commended for his valiant and SUCCESSFUL efforts to return this beautiful shotgun to its rightful owner.

UPDATE!!! Owner foundšŸŽ‰ 52 years ago a young man was home alone when someone broke into his family's house and took several of his father's guns. Well, Iam happy to say I've recovered one gem of a shotgun and now have spoken to the 16 year old of 1972 who was violated by a burglar that day while his parents were away. Arrangements have been made for him to come get his gun. God is good!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...tgun-recovered-owner-sought#Post19342935
Wow! Excellent endingā€¦.. šŸ˜
Great news.
Incredible. My dad was about that age in 72. Must feel real nice having that thing back.
God Bless America!
Fantastic!
Thatā€™s awesome
I did NOT expect this outcome but after years on this site I guess I shouldnā€™t be surprised. There is definitely a ton of worthless quarreling and endless BS but at its core there are some truly remarkable people here.

I didnā€™t think that after 52 years the rightful owner would be found but thanks to the officer at Knoxville PD and guys like Wiley who didnā€™t give up looking Iā€™m flabbergasted (thatā€™s a word I never use) that the shotgun and its owner are reunited.

Great job to everyone involved!
How cool is that!
Originally Posted by BMT
God Bless America!
Amen. With GOD, all things .....
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
How cool is that!

Very cool.
Wow!

Good job!
Awesome, I am happy for the family of the original owner. a family heirloom returned to it's rightful home. Excellent police work! I guess the haters on this forum will somehow find something to criticize about this. They are never happy and moan constantly, like old widow.
Awesome!!

Kudos to the officer for a great job!
Good to hear this!
šŸ‘šŸ‘
"Violated while home alone"??? Interesting phrase to say the least...maybe kid hawked the gun for cash and called it a home invasion????
Good work!
Nice job. He will have something to remember his father by now.

I thought that it was only a burglary if no one was home?

Or maybe the kid was at school?

Otherwise UT is a robbery right?
Glad it worked out.
What I find interesting is the condition a gun that was stolen 50 years ago was in.
Someone knew what they had and it was taken care of as such. They may or may not have known the history behind it, but I think they knew it was a rare shotgun. jmo
From "cold case" to Very Cool case.
This is absolutely great news!!!! Atta boy to Officer Ogle!
Truly an amazing story.

I just have to wonder how MANY things like this end up in some detectiveā€™s personal home closet.

Ohhhh and Tenn LOVES some Civil Forfeiture along the roadside too.
Iā€™d like to read the full story of how it went down.

DF
Originally Posted by slumlord
Truly an amazing story.

I just have to wonder how MANY things like this end up in some detectiveā€™s personal home closet.

Ohhhh and Tenn LOVES some Civil Forfeiture along the roadside too.

An dats a FACT Jack!
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Iā€™d like to read the full story of how it went down.

DF

Me too! It's anybody's guess if any details will be shared on the leads that came in and/or just good/old fashioned detective work. On the original forum the question of details has been asked. If that info gets shared I'll post in in here.
As I understand it Metro Nashville Davidson county finally sent some records from 1972 to detective Ogle and with that he was able to solve the mystery. I don't feel like I should take the liberty to share the original owners' name but it was stolen from a very prominent family in Nashville.
Sometimes there is a just and Happy Ending,
Rick
A happy ending.
Wonder how many states this outcome would be likely or even possible. It is more than just a shotgun - great story.
Originally Posted by RickinTN
As I understand it Metro Nashville Davidson county finally sent some records from 1972 to detective Ogle and with that he was able to solve the mystery. I don't feel like I should take the liberty to share the original owners' name but it was stolen from a very prominent family in Nashville.
Rick
Not surprised that gun came from a prominent family.

Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t cheap even back when.

And the gauge and custom choke designation adds to that profile.

DF
Wonderful to hear this news!
Great news!
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Wonder how many states this outcome would be likely or even possible. It is more than just a shotgun - great story.

Knoxville seems to have decent cops.
Do they have to pay inheritance taxes?
WileyC: Thanks for the good news update.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Somebody needs to buy that cop a steak dinner
Very cool outcome of this.
SWEET!!
Great outcome! I'm glad it worked out and thanks for the update.

I wonder if he'd take $400 bucks for it....
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Rick

That explains how they could afford it during the Depression....
Any idea on the valuation of said shotgun. Awesome story BTW
Maybe I should check with my police.My Fox Sterlingworth 16ga #369130 was stolen in the early 80's from my home in N.Y.
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Maybe I should check with my police.My Fox Sterlingworth 16ga #369130 was stolen in the early 80's from my home in N.Y.
Finding a Long Island detective along the lines of that TN detective may be a challenge.

But guess you donā€™t know until you try.

DF
I had a shotgun stolen when my truck was 3 years ago, and I tried to get numerous LEAs to help me find out the serial number for it and they all refused to help. We know they have the information, but they were completely uninterested to even attempt to help me. I'd be glad to hear from anyone for possible assistance in getting LE to spend 5 mins and look up my serial number, so it may be returned when recovered.

The gun was purchased in OC, CA and stolen in Indianapolis. I've called OCSD, the store where it was purchased, IMPD, and CA DOJ without success.
Donā€™t you know some local LEOā€™s?

If not, support your local sheriff next election. Pick the winner, of course.

Iā€™ve heard itā€™s who you know more than what you know.

Ya gotta have relationships for just a time like this.

Then when you need a favor, you got it.

Itā€™s a shame but thatā€™s the way it is.

DF
Glad they were able to find the owner! It's a rare thing these days for big city Popo to give a single chit about the victims of crimes. Had a company truck stolen in Chitty Lake Salty and the police couldn't even be bothered to show up, collect any evidence or even take a statement. I was directed to an online form to fill out was all. A week later they suddenly gave a shiet when they called to semi-accuse ME of using it in an armed robbery that had just occurred - fortunately I had that report! Later it was found up on cinder blocks and stripped behind a high school. I was victimized yet again when they told me I had two hours to get it out of there or it would be ticketed and towed and would be responsible for the impound fees.

Kudos to that detective. I hope the person to whom it now belongs enjoys that family heirloom.
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
I had a shotgun stolen when my truck was 3 years ago, and I tried to get numerous LEAs to help me find out the serial number for it and they all refused to help. We know they have the information, but they were completely uninterested to even attempt to help me. I'd be glad to hear from anyone for possible assistance in getting LE to spend 5 mins and look up my serial number, so it may be returned when recovered.

The gun was purchased in OC, CA and stolen in Indianapolis. I've called OCSD, the store where it was purchased, IMPD, and CA DOJ without success.

Thanks for the reminder to document details like that before something happens.
© 24hourcampfire