Home
Posted By: stxhunter knife profile - 04/08/24
A good friend wants a light knife so I came up with this, I like it. Now to make a sled to drag his one-legged ass across the 1/2 mile of mud flats to the island I hunt nilgai on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: geedubya Re: knife profile - 04/08/24
looking good!

ya,

GWB
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: knife profile - 04/08/24
Originally Posted by stxhunter
A good friend wants a light knife so I came up with this, I like it. Now to make a sled to drag his one-legged ass across the 1/2 mile of mud flats to the island I hunt nilgai on.

Looking good Roger.

What are you using for steel?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife profile - 04/08/24
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Looking good Roger.

This is 1095, I'm going to order some CPM154 now that I found a place here in town that does heat treating. I don't have the proper equipment to heat treat some of these steels.
Posted By: TimZ Re: knife profile - 04/08/24
I like that blade profile….should be a user…
Posted By: Strop10 Re: knife profile - 04/08/24
Looks really close to a Fallkniven F1 blade profile. What grind?
I ground the bevel on a 2dg angle, It weighs 2.5 oz. width is .125 1/8th.
Posted By: Strop10 Re: knife profile - 04/08/24
Looks really close to a Fallkniven F1 blade profile. What grind?
I think I can keep it at 4 oz or a little under.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: knife profile - 04/08/24

Looking good Roger.

This is 1095, I'm going to order some CPM154 now that I found a place here in town that does heat treating. I don't have the proper equipment to heat treat some of these steels.

In their own ways, both are great steels for the home knife maker.

CPM-154 has a great balance of properties, but considering its 6-10x the price of 1095, I can appreciate your choice to outsource the heat treatment.

I've started playing with stainless a stainless called AEB-L. It's most commonly used in razor blades. It has a very fine grain structure which makes it very high on the toughness scale but doesn't' have the edge retention of your CPM-154. Price is comparable to 1095, which makes it a good test bed for learning to heat treat stainless. It took me a couple of "learning experiences" before I got it right, but $8.00 a lesson is a lot different than $50.00.

Thanks for the update.
I look forward to seeing what you do with the new steel.

Looking good Roger.

In their own ways, both are great steels for the home knife maker.

CPM-154 has a great balance of properties, but considering its 6-10x the price of 1095, I can appreciate your choice to outsource the heat treatment.

I've started playing with stainless a stainless called AEB-L. It's most commonly used in razor blades. It has a very fine grain structure which makes it very high on the toughness scale but doesn't' have the edge retention of your CPM-154. Price is comparable to 1095, which makes it a good test bed for learning to heat treat stainless. It took me a couple of "learning experiences" before I got it right, but $8.00 a lesson is a lot different than $50.00.

Thanks for the update.
I look forward to seeing what you do with the new steel.
Thanks for that info.
Posted By: roverboy Re: knife profile - 04/08/24
Looks really good. I've made several knives but, nothing like that. Very nice.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife profile - 04/09/24
Posted By: Hook Re: knife profile - 04/09/24
Stx, I just had my first two stainless blades heat treated at a place a lot closer to you, https://texasknife.com. Cost is 10 bucks ea. for blades under 10" in length. They'll also cryo the blade for an extra $5. They were fast and the work was outstanding. Added bonus in that when you call the place, you talk to a very nice and knowledgeable lady that will walk you thru the process.

BTW, you're making nice looking blades!
Posted By: earlybrd Re: knife profile - 04/09/24
Cool
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife profile - 04/09/24
Originally Posted by Hook
Stx, I just had my first two stainless blades heat treated at a place a lot closer to you, https://texasknife.com. Cost is 10 bucks ea. for blades under 10" in length. They'll also cryo the blade for an extra $5. They were fast and the work was outstanding. Added bonus in that when you call the place, you talk to a very nice and knowledgeable lady that will walk you thru the process.
That is who I was planning on using, but there is a place here in Corpus that heat treats, and I was going to go talk to them and see what they offer. I plan on making custom fillet knives, they would sell well here, plus I'm well known in the local fishing community here.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: knife profile - 04/09/24
STX has skills…..
Posted By: Hook Re: knife profile - 04/09/24
My bad, stx....I thought I saw where you were sending the blade out of state. Guess I just had my head out of alignment.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: knife profile - 04/09/24
Originally Posted by USMC2602
STX has skills…..

Indeed.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife profile - 04/10/24
Posted By: local_dirt Re: knife profile - 04/10/24
Looking good, Roger. You're learning fast.
Thanks
Posted By: Full3r Re: knife profile - 04/10/24
Awesome work Roger
thank you.
Posted By: jbmi Re: knife profile - 04/11/24
That has a great start for a very nice knife. Profile is close to the custom knife i had made by a good friend.
You can make that knife look really beautiful with the right handle. What you see here is Walrus Tusks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife profile - 04/11/24
That's nice, I have a pair of mammoth molar coming, but I'm not sure what I will use them on yet. this is one I did for Leighton, Gamo Gari on here.

Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: knife profile - 04/11/24
Roger, I would be a buyer of a fillet knife or two. !
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife profile - 04/12/24
Almost ready for scales, 4-5 tiny handle marks I have to get out then tape it up.

Which scales, I'm leaning towards black linen with red liner and pins or Brown canvas micarta with black liner and pins.

No opinions" That's odd for this place, lol.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: knife profile - 04/12/24
Here are three opinions:

1) Your choice on color - either should be fine.
2) You're getting better!! I really like this one
3) You need to sharpen your drill bit, or buy a new one - those last two holes about midway down the handle look like you were thermo-roto-punching them out. Hence the high spots. Not meant to be a dig, but compared to the rest of the handles workmanship level, they (pun unintended) stick out.

Let me know when you start selling. I've got a couple boys that wouldn't mind some knives.

Scott
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Here are three opinions:

1) Your choice on color - either should be fine.
2) You're getting better!! I really like this one
3) You need to sharpen your drill bit, or buy a new one - those last two holes about midway down the handle look like you were thermo-roto-punching them out. Hence the high spots. Not meant to be a dig, but compared to the rest of the handles workmanship level, they (pun unintended) stick out.

Let me know when you start selling. I've got a couple boys that wouldn't mind some knives.

Scott
I noticed that also. I have several sets, and all those but the two 1/4 inch holes are holes To take weight off, it weighs 2.3oz now, and I think it will end up right around 4oz or slightly over.
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: knife profile - 04/12/24
Looks great to me!!
Fixing to put 2-3 coats of wax on it and tape it up.

Posted By: Fubarski Re: knife profile - 04/13/24
That's nice, I have a pair of mammoth molar coming, but I'm not sure what I will use them on yet. this is one I did for Leighton, Gamo Gari on here.

Shoulda sawed a couple inches offa the end, fore ya sent it ta him.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife profile - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Just looks long in the pic, cutting edge is 3 1/2
Posted By: Fubarski Re: knife profile - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Just looks long in the pic, cutting edge is 3 1/2

Was thinkin a the stubbs deal.
Lol had forgotten about that, that profile is a copy of my Ingram.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: knife profile - 04/13/24

What's the wax for?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

What's the wax for?
to keep the epoxy from sticking anywhere except where its suppose to when I glue the scales on.
© 24hourcampfire