Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/12/24
The local Lowes just took out all the checker lanes and made them self service. The only full service lane now is in lumber. It didn't change much as the full service lanes usually didn't have any checkers working anyway.
The Walmart here was getting robbed left and right because of self checkout. They have closed almost all of them down and have 2 left. Those are heavily monitored.
Originally Posted by Springcove
The Walmart here was getting robbed left and right because of self checkout. They have closed almost all of them down and have 2 left. Those are heavily monitored.

Same here, none left .
Posted By: EdM Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/12/24
Home Depots have been that way here for some time.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/12/24
Ya I’ve noticed that
Time to boycott and bring them to their knees!!!

And also those talking gas pumps.

And also kiosk at McDs.
Cant stand going to lowes anymore anyway, its like mexico city where im at every morning
Lowes sucks anyway
Just an experiment in human nature. Things will be back to normal soon.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Just an experiment in human nature. Things will be back to normal soon.

^^^^^
Hell, I am waiting for them to start wanting us to start unloading the truck
Posted By: Cretch Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Springcove

Same here, none left .
Same here also. They use to have maybe half a dozen self checkouts with the conveyor belt that weren't monitored very close. They shut them all down. Now they only have the cramped shelf style self check out only that are closely monitored.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
I’m smart enough to follow a few prompts and get out of the store in minutes. Way faster than waiting on Aunt Gertrude to ring me up and tell me how her family is doing and hear her take on which kind of watermelon has the better flavor.
Welcome to 2024. Life hack is avoid Lowes at all cost.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
I haven't seen a Lowes in over 15 years.

#hermit
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
There is pretty much nothing that I don’t ❤️ about the self checkouts. I don’t believe in any way that they take away jobs.

Full service lanes can go the way of the dodo for all I care, just like full service fuel stations (where legal).
Posted By: Calvin Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
I am thinking Lowe’s and Home Depot’s customer base is a bit different than Wally World. Might work out well for them.

When I am in a store my goal is to get out of it as quickly and efficiency as possible.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
There is pretty much nothing that I don’t ❤️ about the self checkouts. I don’t believe in any way that they take away jobs.

Full service lanes can go the way of the dodo for all I care, just like full service fuel stations (where legal).
You sir are an idiot.
Full service means they are paying 1 checker per lane. Self service means that they are paying 1 person to assist on a half dozen or more lanes.
Just wait until you have to use the Lowes ones a few times. They suck horribly, they're way worse than Walmart. They never work correctly. I can usually make it out of Walmart through the self checkout without having to get the attendant over there unless it's an age restricted item. I've NEVER been able to make it through the Lowes ones without them having to come over and unscrew it. They never scan correctly and if they do the price is wrong and they have to fix it. If you do manage to get through that then when I try to claim my veteran discount it makes you scan the back of your driver's license, that never works either. The last time I was in there I remarked to the attendant that they were a pain in the ass. He immediately replied "they're a HUGE pain in the ass".
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
I'm gonna keep staying dumbfuck hermit and not see, much less deal with one.

Bigger fish to fry than fiddle [bleep]' bullchit like this.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

You sir are an idiot.

👍
I’ll take that as a compliment.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Well shît

That’s it, I’ll never step foot in there again.

Ah crap, I have to buy a 40gal water heater tomorrow.

Ok, after that- I’m never stepping foot in there again. Gonna just give up and watch Lee Marvin movies till I run out of Namenda
High costs for labor will do that.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

You sir are an idiot.

👍
I’ll take that as a compliment.

Considering he's the most negative bitch here, I should say so. You keep posting T, please.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Ok I’m just funnin’

I’m a ProCustomer, park under the portico, grab Cleadus soon I get in and ask em to help pull my merch. Contractor Sales rings me up.
Ain’t no Rose Bush Dumbasses on my end of the bldg.
Cleadus and Forklift Darrell load up my stuff on my trailer and I sling em $5 each.

YeeHaw
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Full service means they are paying 1 checker per lane. Self service means that they are paying 1 person to assist on a half dozen or more lanes.

There’s also X people employed manufacturing them, people programming the software into them and people employed to repair them.

A lack of checkout jobs (might, at least) give would be checkers some incentive to build a better career instead of spending their life working a job fit for a high school student.

There are plenty more reasons for me to like the self checkers but I’ll leave it at that.
Yeah, I can check out a lot faster, enter my military discount, and don't have to talk to anyone. Win, win they way I see it.
They should hire a twice retired boomer to run a boomer only lane. My parents would love it.
Some folks wouldn't believe what they've done to gas stations....
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
These [bleep] companies want you to give them your money and make YOU work to give it to them. I walk out when I see its self checkout.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
These [bleep] companies want you to give them your money and make YOU work to give it to them. I walk out when I see its self checkout.

Do you demand a store worker also accompany you everywhere in the store to put things in your cart for you?

You can also make sure the minimum wage worker doesn’t fat finger the register, instantly know he doesn’t ring you up twice for something, you can confirm the price is correct and make sure he doesn’t slam your apples on the counter, bruising them.

That is more than worth the ‘work’ it takes to check myself out.
Our local Chinese embassy is doing a store-wide remodel.

Part of that is removing the 4 self check kiosks at each end of the store. There will now be 12 at each end. I only wish they were 10 items if less.

Very frustrating watching Gertrude flip an item 6 or 7 times to find the upc and then still take three swipes to get it read.

Sheesh.

All while I’m holding 5 items.

Double sheesh.
Posted By: WMR Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
I shop Lowes occasionally; usually around Christmas. Tools make nice gifts. Clean store with good selection. Prices are decent.

I like self checkouts. Typically no waiting here. Quick in & out. Big grocery orders go to the regular checkout. Not enough counter space at the selfies. Best to shop off hours and avoid long lines.

Kiosks replacing workers? I don’t care. It’s a business, not an employment agency. Lower prices there just means the money goes somewhere else. It’s not being buried in the backyard. Economics kind of works that way. You could always give the savings to the panhandler outside, if your conscience demands it. 🫤
Posted By: Seafire Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by 280shooter
High costs for labor will do that.

Well consider this...

I asked the manager of our local Wally World, why they were taking out the self check out, and putting back in the regular manned Check out stations. Our town has about 45,000 people in it. Granted we are way over quota on methheads, Beavis and Butthead types, and welfare bums.

Our local store was suffering well over a million dollars a month in theft with the self check out station. I can tell ya they are nowhere even near a million dollars in month in wages at the full serve check out lines.

Only thing driving this, is the large amount of theft, which is all over the nation.

Wonder if the idiot that championed self check out as a way to save money for Wally Mart Management bonuses, still has a job there. If he does, you know his last name has to be Walton and he is part of the family who owns it... but I bet he took a big job demotion.
Haven't been to a Lowe's in decades....i hate the store.....Home Depot is right behind it.....been at least 15 years since I've been to either one.....
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I haven’t seen more than two fuggin lanes open even at Christmas time so there is no job loss, many times I see two employees bullchitting at the self serve when I have to get an override to buy fuggin gas treatment.
I like self checkouts. Typically no waiting here. Quick in & out. Big grocery orders go to the regular checkout. Not enough counter space at the selfies. Best to shop off hours and avoid long lines.
Depends on the setup. Winco, where we get groceries, has a micro counter and it's on a scale. Everything has to be piled on the little shelf and you can't take anything off to make room until you've paid or it all comes to a halt. Walmart and Home Depot have hand held scanners so you can scan stuff right in the cart and not have to put it on the counter at all. Costco has a big shelf but no hand held scanners. They have roving checkers with scanners who will come over and scan stuff in the cart. In the last couple months, they've added more of these checkers who will come running over as soon as you've scanned your card. They'll do all the scanning then let you finish the payment on your own.
Posted By: Tminc Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
They b training your children for future slaves.
The scale thing sucks, thats what they were using on base at the commissary, then changed it.
when i check out at lumber they always ask did you find what you were looking for. my reply is i see you don't shop here, then they ask why. i tell them if they would change to store around every other damn week i would find what im looking for
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
If they ask "Did you find what you were looking for?" and you reply "No", they just get the deer in the headlights look.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Yeah, I can check out a lot faster, enter my military discount, and don't have to talk to anyone. Win, win they way I see it.
They should hire a twice retired boomer to run a boomer only lane. My parents would love it.
Some folks wouldn't believe what they've done to gas stations....

heck at the one i go to they still stand behind you at self check out and want o show you how, i just tell them to back off

I really hope you don’t consider scanning some items and swiping a card “work”.

My goodness
Several years ago, they caught a guy here at the Home Depot trying to steal a bunch of tools. He loaded up a cart with expensive tools, then tore a UPC tag off of something worth about $7. He had the tag in his palm. He'd pretend to scan something expensive but actually scan the tag in his hand. He got caught because he got greedy. The computer flagged it when he scanned too many of the same item.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: viking Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
The Walmart in Williston, I heard was doing away with most of their self checkouts. Too much theft.
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yeah the urban shoppers have. 😂

They are probably trying to decide what’s worse. Urban shoppers boosting a high percentage of goods or paying someone to train a cashier that will last about 6 months, paying a loss prevention employee to watch cashier to make sure they arent stealing, and pay and employee to count the register at the beginning and end of each shift.
Here is another fact that will have heads exploding. The average cash transaction costs the establishment 9% compared to 3.5 % for a cashless transaction.
I don't have a problem with the self check at Lowe's, my problem with them is changing the product locals. About the time I learn were everything is, they move stuff around to different locals.
Walmart has done this for years. Leads to more impulse buys while you search for what you came for. miles
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by milespatton
Walmart has done this for years. Leads to more impulse buys while you search for what you came for. miles

Yep. I once asked a store manager about this, and that's exactly what he told me.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
So everyone is bitching about self checkouts lol, like its some grand scheme. Anyone think about the fact that none of the dead beats in this country want to work anymore? I know there is serious staff shortages all over. Self check out is a direcr result
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Lol, you go girl
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Trusting the humans to do the right thing is never a good idea. Not even Miss South Dakota couldn’t resist screwing over wal mart at the self checkout.
Cost her her crown.
Posted By: jimone Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Do they sell guns and groceries like Mallwart does?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
Local moderately sized Ace Hardware has four checkout stations and smiling gals each working at least three of them all of the time. Checkouts steady and easy, but sometimes they are not busy - just standing there saying "welcome - help you find anything?" Then they get on the shop radio and have somebody waiting for you in Isle 23.

Maybe Lowe's, HD, Walmart etc. are having trouble keeping dependable/useful staff in some locations? Or just trying to cut op costs?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Lowes is the new Walmart - 04/13/24
I have a Home Depot about a 1/4 mile from me, haven't been in Lowe's in a while.
© 24hourcampfire