Originally Posted by Alan_C
Wabi, buy yourself some Limousin cows!!
lmao .
Posted By: ldholton Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Wabi, buy yourself some Limousin cows!!
lmao .
limousine versus Red Angus somebody convince me I'm waiting..
Posted By: SamOlson Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
I would go red Angus just because they are almost as good as the black.

My dad had a couple Limousin bulls way back about 35-40 years ago. I was too young to remember all the details but I think they have disposition issues and probably too thin skinned for the winter breeze.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
My dad raised some Limousin cattle in Yakima Washington. He liked them. When I was young, we raised black Angus, polled Hereford, Angus Holstein cross. Dad used to buy the drop calves for almost nothing back in the early 70’s . About 1/3 died it seemed . We bottle fed them and they had the scours. We gave them pills called Bollister ?? My dad also raised sheep. He put up his own hay. Dad made money on everything he did. YMMV.
Posted By: Hastings Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
I bought a couple of Black Hereford bulls about 2 years ago. They are not registered and I would almost bet they are Black Angus and Hereford cross. They are very aggressive breeders not at all like the slow-ass Beefmaster bull I also have. All but one of the calves have been black/whiteface or solid black. Got one red whiteface out of a red whiteface cow.

So far it's good, the calves are small and vigorous and grow fast and these bulls are taking a lot of the Brahma look out of the calves. Brahma cross cows do the best here in the sub-tropics but the buyers don't go for long ears and humps.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
Our newest calf is out of a black baldie.
Posted By: ToddNE Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
quality cattle are quality cattle no matter what color hair they have because I'll bet once you skin the hide off most cattle most people couldn't tell what color hair they had.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
I used to keep a lot of my heifers, lost several of them calving, I decided never again, kept them away from my big bulls, kept all my heifers after 650 in different pasture. I went out and bought a half Corriente and Angus bull , dropped little calves and they grew fast, didn’t show horns until 450 to 500 pounds, only difference in angus calves was white spot on flank on some, sold pretty close to angus prices, but real cow man can always tell Corriente or Longhorn cross.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/17/24
In the corrals at my brothers, only one cow has made it over the top of the alley fence - a Limousin! In ~ 25 years since we built them.
Posted By: ironbender Re: A Cattle Thread? - 04/18/24
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: A Cattle Thread? - 05/02/24
[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: A Cattle Thread? - 05/02/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire