Home
Added this on to existing bldg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Small run area for days i couldnt let em out

Concrete surround base so no preds could dug under, heavy coated welded wire fence. Chicken wire is too flimsy (my opinion)

Reach in from outside to get eggs

Jerk that tyvek out once a month and lay down fresh

No poop to shovel, got lifetime supply of tyvek from govt demolition surplus
Mine's nothing fancy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Chicken Gulag.
And the horrors of it I have seen.

Laffin so hard my sides hurt.
Treblinka.....
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🤣🤣🥴🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Mines kinda homely
I gotta big black cock🤪
Originally Posted by renegade50
The Chicken Gulag.

Treblinka.....
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🤣🤣🥴🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Farm livin’ ain’t for the Trix cereal eaters of society

There’s icky things like poo poo and rotting carcasses

🤣

When I was a kid I raised chickens in a little shed. The water always froze in the winter and weasels came and went at will.
Theee years ago we decided to get back in the chicken business. Fully insulated, 15 hens generate enough heat to keep the water from freezing down to about -10. Once it’s colder than that a heat lamp warms it up for the night.
Bielefelders, barred rocks, buff Orpington, speckled Sussex, and isa browns. 15 hens and 8-10 eggs a day this time of year. It’s more entertaining than tv to just sit and watch them.
#notstorebought

Well cmon yall

Erbody on this mofo stahpostedly lives on a farm, ranch, etx.

Tell me 99% of yall live in an HOA without saying you live in an HOA

LOL
Oh

Ya said chickens

Thought ya meant cat house

https://www.mustangranchlounge.com/
Never had no chickens since I was little. It be hell keeping chicken snakes out of a chicken pen around here.
Good carpentry work Miguel !! Looks like cedar ? Does it have stain on it ?
Used to hatch our chicks fuqk that to many heart aches had a blind Dominik hen and a 1 leg leghern both layed eggs btw
there ain't no keeping them out...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by huntsman22

egg stealin' bass turds
[Linked Image]
My girlies🥰
Originally Posted by slumlord
Well cmon yall

LOL

Does cuzzin Jim have chickens?

I got enough damn work with this little cow farmin' gig that the idea of chicken ranchin' just ain't gonna happen!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Well cmon yall

LOL

Does cuzzin Jim have chickens?

I got enough damn work with this little cow farmin' gig that the idea of chicken ranchin' just ain't gonna happen!

Gotta be some peacocks around there somewhere 😃

Try a couple Guinea hens to the mix .
The Chicken Gulag.

Treblinka.....
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🤣🤣🥴🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

🤣

And dogs to be shot.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
[Linked Image from iili.io]

There's a little feed room under the roost accessable from outside that holds five bags of feed. I only have a dozen chickens.
Nice coops. Mine needs to be resided this summer and the outside enclosure needs to be rebuilt as well. I am down to one hen, one rooster and 3 guineas now. I am not sure if I will do the work and get more birds or just let these be the last ones. Mine are only in the coop at night and run loose during the day but GEEZ are they hard on gardens and flower beds.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The Chicken Gulag.

Treblinka.....
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🤣🤣🥴🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

🤣

And dogs to be shot.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh my

Too soon

i aint got pheasant hunt with Kristy yet

[Linked Image from storage.googleapis.com]
Originally Posted by viking

Hell I could live in that😂
Works out well for 2 or 3 hens.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Pretty basic
NO good pics easily found of the Gulag here.
Originally Posted by erickg

Pretty basic
like this a lot

Might be a model for my next build
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Many unexplained deaths and abductions, alien probing, 😳
Uncle keeps his in an old laundry service van, no [bleep]. Rooster be perched up on the steering wheel at bedtime.

I ain’t got no chickems. I eat enough organic stuff every other meal of the day. Plus fresh eggs people are as bad as people that quit smoking or got skinny when they get to blowing and going about orange yolks and yaddayadda.
Be glad to share any particulars you may be interested in.

Let's see the aftermath? Gotta be a nice .22 pistolè pic and a dead cock/eggsucker pic somewhere
As a kid, we had a chicken coop that was 155’ long and 25’ wide and a brooder house that was 20’X30’ . Start in the spring with 500 chicks and move them thru the coop as pullets and butchers. the year old laying hens were butchered before the capon butchers were ready. Then the pullets were laying and they were moved into the part of the coop with nests. But, before that the coop had to be cleaned and deloused. Everything from gathering eggs to butchering to cleaning the coops was done by hand. That plus milking 40-50 cows twice a day was enough to keep a kid off the streets.
Originally Posted by TheKid
fresh eggs people are as bad as people that quit smoking or got skinny when they get to blowing and going about orange yolks and yaddayadda.

Amen.
You ain’t country unless you got the free range flock of Ginny’s. ( i know, guinea )

Like mobile hit squad….

Raisin 7 kinds of hell..

Boomers like em, let em know when Teddy the meter reader comes…

Just don’t let get in the highway..

#logtrucksdontplay
Nothing worse than a Willie Nelson western movie with non period-correct chicken breeds in the barnyard.
Looky here all these fancy chicken coops you caint hide money
My coop
Originally Posted by hillestadj
fresh eggs people are as bad as people that quit smoking or got skinny when they get to blowing and going about orange yolks and yaddayadda.

Amen.

Fresh, home grown eggs are no doubt better for you than store bought. They are supposed to have higher Omega 3. But when I look at all the work and expense required to keep chickens, I just eat a can of sardines or 2 a week along with my crappy factory farmed eggs from Walmark's to make up the difference. The orange yolks certainly look better but I can't tell any difference in the taste.

Right now I can get 5 dozen for 10 Bucks which IMO is a steal. That is less than a 50lb bag of chicken food and the Walmark's hens lay year round. Don't have to fight the dogs, cats, coons, snakes and hawks. No feeding, no watering, no shiitshoveling.

The price of that big box of eggs has been about as volatile as Bitcoin since covid, reaching a high of about $20 to a low of about $5. Every time a new round of bird flu hits the price shoots up, then drops as I assume new pullets come online.

Someone once said that people go fishing for other reasons than just fish. I think that is true of small time chicken keepers and eggs.
Originally Posted by RJY66

Amen.

Fresh, home grown eggs are no doubt better for you than store bought. They are supposed to have higher Omega 3. But when I look at all the work and expense required to keep chickens, I just eat a can of sardines or 2 a week along with my crappy factory farmed eggs from Walmark's to make up the difference. The orange yolks certainly look better but I can't tell any difference in the taste.

Right now I can get 5 dozen for 10 Bucks which IMO is a steal. That is less than a 50lb bag of chicken food and the Walmark's hens lay year round. Don't have to fight the dogs, cats, coons, snakes and hawks. No feeding, no watering, no shiitshoveling.

The price of that big box of eggs has been about as volatile as Bitcoin since covid, reaching a high of about $20 to a low of about $5. Every time a new round of bird flu hits the price shoots up, then drops as I assume new pullets come online.

Someone once said that people go fishing for other reasons than just fish. I think that is true of small time chicken keepers and eggs.
The superior eggs are just a fringe benefit to the hobby.
Under construction as we speak! The long slopped roof faces south, and will have a solar powered attic fan to help reduce temperatures in the summer. Will have 2 solar powered chicken entrance doors on the north side. The house is in the center of our 100’ x 100’ garden south fence. There will be a fence from the back center of the house, to the garden north fence….bisecting the garden into 2 - 50’ x 100’ garden spots. The chickens will have a 50’ x 100’ run, we’ll garden the other side…..switching sides every year.

The house has concrete floor (predator proof) has 2x6, insulated walls, 2 - dual pane windows, the inside walls will be lined with FRP panels (easy to keep clean). The nesting boxes will have outside access. memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Amen.

Exactly. Far fewer mice and bugs.
Originally Posted by memtb
Under construction as we speak! The long slopped roof faces south, and will have a solar powered attic fan to help reduce temperatures in the summer. Will have 2 solar powered chicken entrance doors on the north side. The house is in the center of our 100’ x 100’ garden south fence. There will be a fence from the back center of the house, to the garden north fence….bisecting the garden into 2 - 50’ x 100’ garden spots. The chickens will have a 50’ x 100’ run, we’ll garden the other side…..switching sides every year.

The house has concrete floor (predator proof) has 2x6, insulated walls, 2 - dual pane windows, the inside walls will be lined with FRP panels (easy to keep clean). The nesting boxes will have outside access. memtb

Fancy👍👍
I built this one a few years ago, replaced the 2x4 wire with hardware cloth 1x1" as the coons would reach in and grab the chickens. Have since built another, basic A-frame with 8x8 base and found it to be a much more efficient design.

Thanks! The slab was poured years ago, windows were yard sale cheap, door was free……with today’s material costs, the other materials were ridiculous! memtb
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Amen.

I can tell the difference when they are fried over-easy, otherwise not really.
Many unexplained deaths and abductions, alien probing, 😳
We don't have any aliens around here, leastways no illegal ones.

all our farms and ranchers only hire ones with Genuine Papers.
Originally Posted by dirt99
Bingo
although, I will admit to having a Mennonite built henhouse.

The yard I cobbled together myself with mostly scrounged lumber from around the 7Acre RANCH!

Did have to get store bought poultry netting and hardware cloth though.
Originally Posted by erickg

Pretty basic
like this a lot

Might be a model for my next build
Friend built a similar one, pretty nice for walking in to clean and gathering the cackleberries.

And before you get started.....................yes................I happen to have ...............A.................friend.
Bingo

The yard I cobbled together myself with mostly scrounged lumber from around the 7Acre RANCH!

Gawd

What a dis service you just did to the Mennonite community. 😂😂
God gonna send a lightning bolt down on that azz.
Bingo

Gawd

Have a nice shed they built too.

Them's some productive, keep busy, type folks around here. Even out Tax guy is a member. He owns a surplus/auction goods store too, got my Toro snowblower from him.
Originally Posted by memtb

This is a great idea, give you something to do since you don't hunt.
Chicken yard. Juniper posts about 2.5' in the ground, bottom boards are full dimension 2x8 rough corral boards, rest of the framing was mostly scrap stuff. Lower section of fence has 1/2" hardware cloth buried a foot or so in the ground and the trench was filled with rocks too. Rest is 1" poultry wire to keep the hawks and such out.

Henhouse inside the chicken yard. Gate to yard gets closes, chicken house hatch stays open so they can come and go as they please. If necessary they can spend a few days inside the yard relatively comfortably if we're not there to free range them.

Feed and water station

And there's an addition to the Gulag for when one of the hens almost got killed by the rooster I used to have. She had her own house and yard for awhile until he died. He was just finishing what the other hens started.

Already got a fresh one this morning out of the laying box. This one is from the hen the rooster almost killed

We jus' po folk, no money fo no fancy setup.
I hear banjer music
If'n a feller kain't cobble tagether no chiken yard, he ain' gonna make it roun here.
2days haul😃
Originally Posted by Morewood

Where you get them Abalone shells? They should be all white and chalky by now lol
98% of the time, my hens leave me eggs that look like they've been washed. Rarely is one the least bit dirty looking. Why are so many of the eggs being shown in this thread so filthy?
This ain’t the comfort inn son
98% of the time, my hens leave me eggs that look like they've been washed. Rarely is one the least bit dirty looking. Why are so many of the eggs being shown in this thread so filthy?

Pasty butt, muddy feetsies, nests low on bedding fluff
Like a fuqkin resort 😂
Only kind of chicken house I ever had.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Like a fuqkin resort 😂

LOL

gawd, do yall wheeze when having casual conversation?

🫢

they look like they long for Valhalla lmao
Like a fuqkin resort 😂

LOL

🫢
The monia will knock you down in there 😂🤣savin that fer my punkin patch 👍🥴😂
Napalm that fugger, birds and all

🤣
Wabi needs sum uria wunder if ups would ship to eyeohwaw 🤣
Like a fuqkin resort 😂

LOL

🫢

they look like they long for Valhalla lmao
watch it there bub,

that one up top about to lay a big dookie at you.
I’d give you $10 to eat a sandwich in there. 😐

I’ll even give you the sammitch, mayo on wonder bread
Wabi needs sum uria wunder if ups would ship to eyeohwaw 🤣
No one gets my birds' stuff.

what doesn't go in the compost pile with the dirty straw and pine shavings goes into the garden. Sometimes when I think something needs a real shot of nitro, a few good turds go into an empty yogurt and filled with water to make some chicken turd tea. Greens scheidt up pretty quickly!
I’d give you $10 to eat a sandwich in there. 😐

I’ll even give you the sammitch, mayo on wonder bread
No frigeen way.

early birdie better watch out the local aspca place isn't monitoring this forum
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]bbcode image
This little A-Frame is a much simpler route than the first one I build, 8x8 base.

They can get dirty from multiple hens using same nest, best not to was them as they have a protective coating that helps keep them fresh.
Nice
Built this thing a bit over a year ago.
Got one piece of metal siding up to cover the OSB. Was going to get back to it but it's been 14 months. Oh well.

The wetbacks that bought my family's original homestead are now raising chickens in the house my grandfather was born in.
wanna see a pic of my COCK?......

Mighty colorful.
No cock pics, please.
Bingo

Gawd

lolololololol

Welbar ?
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Amen.

You can also flip them and not break the yolk near as easy.

Amen.

The only real reason that we have chickens is to have something that my two kids can be 95% responsible for.
If they die, they die and it will be on them. Kids have kept them alive for over a year without them starving or running out of water. Not too bad for an 11 and 13 year old.
Originally Posted by RUM7

Amen.

The only real reason that we have chickens is to have something that my two kids can be 95% responsible for.
If they die, they die and it will be on them. Kids have kept them alive for over a year without them starving or running out of water. Not too bad for an 11 and 13 year old.
👍🏻👍🏻
© 24hourcampfire