Home
I didn’t make it last year in Montana.

Might have to buy an out of state tag this year being I’m a North Dakotan again.
For sure. But deer will be the priority.
I drew a late season any bull tag in AZ. So yes I will be elk hunting this year.
Most states haven't had their LE draws yet - e.g. CO, NV & UT. Pretty much shooting for the moon on quality units & timeframes in NV and UT. Blew my points in WYO last fall on an outfitted wilderness hunt.
New Mexico
Archery
Land owner tag
Sept 9-15
I will, as per every year since 1979.

Thinking 5-6 tags in Wyoming, 1 in Montana for sure, maybe 2, if I get lucky maybe one in Nevada or Utah, but likely not.

Will help some friends and family too.

Always exciting this time of year with several dozen applications out for deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, sheep, goat, bison.
Mrs signed me up for a lottery yes there’s elk in Virginia 🤪
I plan to while I still can. The youngest can shoot a cow in a couple areas.
Have to draw a tag which in this State can be rather problematic.

Going to pass on trying for a tag in AZ. Long drive about killed me last year for a deer hunt, but then again I was working with a shoulder that needed surgery.
Originally Posted by Brittdog
I drew a late season any bull tag in AZ. So yes I will be elk hunting this year.
Depending on the unit, that can be some tough hunting. Those critters will have had people around since August from the antelope and archery hunts, not to mention they've been through the rut and many of them hole up in some tough areas to get to and also can be rather nocturnal after all the activity.

Good luck on your hunt.
An elk muzzleloader hunt in New Mexico in October.
Supposedly there is a huge game farm in ND that has elk, monster bulls too. 2k for a cow I heard.
https://www.borderviewelkranch.com/

Maybe this it.
I’ll be in Idaho, as per my normal.
I could pull some strings and get a WY general tag I am sure but that’s alright. Could certainly do the same in Montana if I really wanted to.

I have a busy enough fall already and still have a few states’s draws to go.
Viking: If this country is not burning to the ground from riots/civil war then I will be out there again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by viking

If that’s your thing rock on, but something tells me you wouldn’t be as satisfied with the outcome as you think you’d be.
Will likely stick to Colorado this year. Will be hunting in the north central part of state, a chance I’ll be hunting the west central part too.
The drive is what kills me, sometimes 10-12 miles.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by viking

If that’s your thing rock on, but something tells me you wouldn’t be as satisfied with the outcome as you think you’d be.

Oh great, another high fence hunt. This isn’t another one of Rulon Jones properties, is it?
Originally Posted by tripod3
The drive is what kills me, sometimes 10-12 miles.

Lol…….that and the dang cattle meandering down the road……
https://swrbiggamehunts.com/np/Photo-Gallery.html
Meh pasture elk or bison don’t thrill me much.

However for $2200 for a cow elk, 3 hr drive, pretty much guaranteed, all in one day. Versus a lottery, take a week off from work, finding a place to hunt, no guarantees…. I ain’t getting any younger….
Originally Posted by Brittdog

Those late hunts are fun, I've drawn 4 of them. Killed 3 six points and donated one tag to AZ hunt of a lifetime that went to a young lady with cancer. She killed a decent bull with the tag.
I apply every year here in Michigan

I've got a ton of points....along with 50k other people
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

How many bull and cow licenses does Michigan issue each year?
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Viking: If this country is not burning to the ground from riots/civil war then I will be out there again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It won't be. They have been saying it will for the last 60 years.
I'm planning to drive 12 miles to try and put a cow's nose in the dirt.

It's a hard life, someone has to do it......
Originally Posted by Dutch

Bout where I am.

I will see if the boy is interested.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Bout where I am.

Stubble field cows don’t count.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

How many bull and cow licenses does Michigan issue each year?

It varies. Last year was 260 total

Not sure of the breakdown of any-elk tags vs cow-only tags
Been awhile now, but we have regular seasons, no draw.

Or you can put in for areas they control with an LEH draw, limited entry hunting.

But no need to do anything but buy a tag and have at her.
Elk are fun and they taste good, but I'm always a lot more excited for deer, antelope, upland, and waterfowl. They're a lot easier to carry out too.
Originally Posted by ranger1
Elk are fun and they taste good, but I'm always a lot more excited for deer, antelope, upland, and waterfowl. They're a lot easier to carry out too.

Same here.
New Mexico, Unit 12 Landowner tag, rifle.
I'm sitting this year out.
I usually do, but like Ranger said, other hunting is more fun.
I can guarantee memtb won't elk hunt this season but he will flap his yap incessantly about elk hunting lol
I drew a cow elk tag here in New Mexico, will be hunting in December.
Oldest son and I were just discussing the possibility this last evening.
Originally Posted by callnum

Bout where I am.

you're doing it wrong.....
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I can guarantee memtb won't elk hunt this season but he will flap his yap incessantly about elk hunting lol

Your life must be pretty bad- to get on here and constantly and say negative things about members here. Seek help- maybe you can get medication that will brighten your mood.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Your life must be pretty bad- to get on here and constantly and say negative things about members here. Seek help- maybe you can get medication that will brighten your mood.

Does the truth hurt your feelings?

P.s. I just got back from Arkansas. What a schiethole. I had no idea Bentonville wanted to be Austin so desperately.

Bout where I am.

It's becoming clear that you probably have never seen an elk.
That's the plan but often times getting the tag is the hardest part of the hunt.
If I'm still breathing I'm going. Drew a bull tag last year so it will be Archery for me but that's fine. See if I can make it an even dozen with the bow.
Bud drew early rifle AZ 27...

Me just the MT general tag.

Good luck y'all.
Will be putting in for a LQ tag but probably just go buy a OTC tag for a bull and a hand full of cow tags now that we have unlimited cow elk licenses for area we hunt.
Might try to fill a cow tag in Sept this year, maybe late Aug if we get time and weather is favorable.
Thankfully we can just go buy a license OTC if we need to, if we don't draw a LQ tag.
I will sure try. Coming up on 81 years old. I have only missed two seasons since 1966. Hopefully Colorado will take pity on me and send me a ML cow elk tag.

I tagged a cow elk last year. Don't know how many more I can do.
I just got my refund from NM.. no luck.
Still in the draw for WY.
Going OTC in CO as the back-up.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I will sure try. Coming up on 81 years old. I have only missed two seasons since 1966. Hopefully Colorado will take pity on me and send me a ML cow elk tag.

Good luck!
Absolutely! Going back to New Mexico in December for a late season cow hunt on private ground.
Always go, if I don't get the draw I want, I will go OTC. Hoping for my draw, but no points, so likely I will be in the Cascades, hunting the high country.
I picked up a rather nice pre-64 Model 70 a couple of weeks back. I let my oldest talk me out of it. I think in a one in a lifetime grail rifle for some folks. I’m sure it will be making the trip if se decide to go.
I’m thinking it might have been unfired. If it had, wasn’t shot much. Came with original box

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Need more info on the rifle along with some picture, Kaywoodie.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Thanks! smile
Sorry this is best pic I have

He stuck a old straight 6x Leupold on it. It’s pretty nice. Has one gun shop off the rack scratch on left side of butt where they had it with other rifles out on the rack. Gunshop guy said it didn’t have a scope on it so it wasn’t worth as much as a rifle with scope. (No schidt! His exact words!).
My boy and I are putting in to try to draw another tag. We're decided whether to try our luck on a bull tag or go for the easier to draw cow tag. Of we draw either tag in our preferred area our odds of getting one are excellent. Everytime I've draw one of those tags I've filled it.

Bb

He stuck a old straight 6x Leupold on it. It’s pretty nice. Has one gun shop off the rack scratch on left side of butt where they had it with other rifles out on the rack. Gunshop guy said it didn’t have a scope on it so it wasn’t worth as much as a rifle with scope. (No schidt! His exact words!).
Good grief! Why can't I find gunshop guys like that!

Good for you……stay at it! 👍 You’re doing way better than folks half your age! memtb
Sweet! 👍 memtb

All the young folks want rifles now with plastic stocks, pistol grips, and big knarly bolt handles. Nothing against such rifles. There is something out there for everyone. Sure makes picking up the classic stuff much easier. 😊
My daughter got a once in a lifetime tag here in ND. First time applying. I’ve never got one.
It’s gonna be great helping her get one. Memories! Edk
Originally Posted by memtb

Good for you……stay at it! 👍 You’re doing way better than folks half your age! memtb

Like you. Speaking of, are you actually going to hunt this year, or complain about not drawing a tag?

All the young folks want rifles now with plastic stocks, pistol grips, and big knarly bolt handles.
Nothing against such rifles. There is something out there for everyone. Sure makes picking up the classic stuff much easier. 😊
True, they just don't know what classy is.

By the way, good on you for getting that rifle, you lucky mutt!
Originally Posted by ERK
My daughter got a once in a lifetime tag here in ND. First time applying. I’ve never got one.
It’s gonna be great helping her get one. Memories! Edk
Congrats to your daughter!

All the young folks want rifles now with plastic stocks, pistol grips, and big knarly bolt handles.
Nothing against such rifles. There is something out there for everyone. Sure makes picking up the classic stuff much easier. 😊
True, they just don't know what classy is.

By the way, good on you for getting that rifle, you lucky mutt!

Thanks Ken. I believe it’s a first year of production (1958?) .338!
What is the serial number and I will look it up.

Bout where I am.

you're doing it wrong.....

Stubble field cows are the only way. Especially when they’re less than 100 yrs from the truck and you have snow on the ground.

What is the serial number and I will look it up.

Son already did!
Ok. 👍
Hoping to go, still waiting to hear if I drew a tag.
NE New Mexico. Opening week of rifle season
I am.

Looking for bull #14.

Hoping to improve on this fella.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I am.

Looking for bull #14.

P
Best of luck this fall!
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I am.

Looking for bull #14.

P
Good luck fella👍👍
Unfortunately, still on my bucket list.

Nice score!!
I live in Montana and still haven't shot one.

But if I showed up to the grazing association meeting where they draw for the either sex(landowner) Breaks elk tag I could win for sure. Only person left on the list who hasn't drawn.

If I had 26 days off work I might try to shoot a really big one.....lol
What else would do with the month of September? >>>———————>
I’ve got a new Montana decoy, season during the rut, and an 8 year old with a 300 Savage and an itchy trigger finger.

I might not be doing any shooting but I’m guessing I’ll be elk hunting at least around here.
Originally Posted by BeanMan
What else would do with the month of September? >>>———————>

Well since you asked....hunt ptarmigan, sharptails, sage grouse, blue grouse, deer, and antelope.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

But if I showed up to the grazing association meeting where they draw for the either sex(landowner) Breaks elk tag I could win for sure. Only person left on the list who hasn't drawn.

I'm sure there are guys out there that know where he's at...

Might be worth buying a few shots at the bar! lol
Man, I did a double, no, triple take of this photo. I saw 1 head and more than 4 legs. Then more legs! Really have to look hard to figure out that there are two stacked on top of each other. My first take was that you left it out overnite the legs froze up all caddywampus.

Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Stubble field cows are the only way. Especially when they’re less than 100 yrs from the truck and you have snow on the ground.

Originally Posted by SamOlson

If you do shoot one, I'll trade you a 1/2 of your elk for a half of your beef.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Man, I did a double, no, triple take of this photo. I saw 1 head and more than 4 legs. Then more legs! Really have to look hard to figure out that there are two stacked on top of each other. My first take was that you left it out overnite the legs froze up all caddywampus.

Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

Yup two stacked up. It’s what makes Idaho the best. Living with the elk out the back door and the opportunity to hunt them. I have not missed a season for the last 23 years I’ve lived here. Haven’t always gotten one but it’s rare that we go without. In fact, some years there are multiples between me and the kids. We like to eat elk… a lot.
For sure in Idaho. See elk most days while turkey hunting. Have permission to hunt large private land as well as forest service land
our LEH tags not available till june.

Norm
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve got a new Montana decoy, season during the rut, and an 8 year old with a 300 Savage and an itchy trigger finger.

I might not be doing any shooting but I’m guessing I’ll be elk hunting at least around here.

Well good luck to that young hunter!!!! May he score big!!!!!
© 24hourcampfire