Home
I was reading through a thread on the Campfire regarding a 1959 G&A Magazine. Got to thinking about other old writers who had the right to write. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I pulled my signed copy of "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan down from the book case and started reading it again (for the 100th time?--could be.)
<br>
<br>If there are any handgunners out there who haven't read Mr. Jordan's book, shame on you.
<br>
<br>When I was a deputy sheriff I adopted many of the techniques in the book and they all served me well.
<br>
<br>Go on! Find a copy! Read it!
Hey Norm, that holster look familiar? hunh?
<br>
<br>Yep I was a big fan as well and have a signed copy myself.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
T LEE,
<br>
<br>Sure does. I used a Jordan holster for many of the years I was on the job.
<br>
<br>
Bill would be deeply pleased by your comments.
<br>
<br>Let me tell you a couple things about Bill (my all-time favorite hunting partner) that may surprise you -- until you think 'em over:
<br>
<br>-- Bill (like our mutual pard Elmer K and diametrically opposite to our other friend Colonel Charles A) was profoundly glad that he'd never killed anyone -- which only adds to my enjoyment of his answer to the pesky, openly hostile news babe who on a live broadcast asked him how many men he'd killed. I double over whenever I imagine that reporter's news director feverishly trying to block Bill's answer from going out over the air ("Eleven," he said, "and a passel of Mexicans").
<br>
<br>-- Bill had absolutely no personal, private, hobby interest in handguns, gear, or handgunning. He wrote about these subjects solely out of loyalty to his editors and his readers and for your benefit. After one of our hunts, we were sitting and talking quietly -- I was trying to get Bill to write (for Handloader and Rifle) some articles on what I knew were his favorite subjects -- hunting rifles and shotguns. In a flash of insight, I said that I'd guess that thoughts of handguns (etc) brought back painful memories, while thinking of rifles and shotguns brought back pleasant memories. Bill's head swung toward me sharply, in obvious surprise at that perception, as he very promptly said "That's true!" Then I "lost him" for a moment as he looked far off and murmured "That's VERY true."
<br>
<br>... and a third thing, which I'm sure you don't already know about my old pard, is probably a total surprise to anybody but a fellow Southerner -- the correct pronunciation of Bill's surname is JURR-d'n, not JORR-don. He never corrected anyone, as far as I know, but he told me this once in private confidence.
Dr. Howell,
<br>
<br>Your eloquent recollections of, what I would consider famous, gunning gentlemen of the past never cease to amaze me. Thank you for sharing with us. I had a copy of �No Second Place Winner� that had sadly disappeared back during my college days. I will have to rectify that situation very soon now that I know the proper pronunciation of Jordan.
<br>
Thanks for your kind words. It's easy to be "eloquent" when you have good material and good memories. All you have to do is "tell it like it was."
<br>
<br>Bill had a special talent for eloquent, memorable inscriptions in the books that he signed. Long before I met him, I wrote to thank him for something he'd written about our friend Elmer -- and while I was at it, sent him a check for a copy of NSPW and asked him to sign it. I also knew that he'd worked a number of cases with my U S Marshal uncle and mentioned that uncle in my letter. Bill inscribed my copy of his book
<br>"Any friend of Elmer Keith and nephew of Stanley Fountain is automatically a friend of
<br>Bill Jordan"
<br>
<br>My son -- to his intense disappointment at the delay -- didn't get to meet Bill until he was eleven or twelve (Bill put his arm around Ben, called him "Pard" or "Amigo," and treated that delighted boy as an equal as they walked around together all evening). When he learned that Ben had read NSPW more than once, he said "You need a copy of your own" and gave Ben a copy inscribed
<br>"If you turn out the kind of man your dad is, that will please
<br>Bill Jordan"
<br>
<br>You can no doubt understand my boy's near-worship of Bill!
<br>
<br>... and imagine how his friends miss him
He was an imposing figure physically but a more pure gentleman would be hard to find. I have a picture of me standing in between he and Sheila Link on a pheasant hunt many years ago. They don't make'm like him anymore. Good luck, Troy
Ken,
<br>
<br>Interestng post. Also interesting is how people react to similar circumstances. In 20 years as a deputy sheriff a number of people with whom I was friends or had some asquaintance (all lawmen in central Indiana) died in the performance of their duty--all by handguns.
<br>
<br>One, my best friend and brother-in-law, was killed in a gun fight at which I unfortunate enough to attend. I suppose I should have lost my hobby interest in the one-hand firearm long ago but I didn't.
<br>
<br>Now you've got me thinking. I have the S&W M10's that Jim and I were carrying that night in 1970. Those particular firearms bring back sad memories. As does his M36.
<br>
<br>But I look at the Kimber Super Match and the PC S&W M627-5 8-shooter and a few others still earning a living as entertainers and I have no sadness. Just a joy at owning fine tools and being fairly competent in using them.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the fine post.
My pleasure, Norm -- all the way.
<br>
<br>You haven't mentioned what I'm going to refer-to next, so I wonder how you might respond to it.
<br>
<br>I've had a gun pulled on me only once, in the late 1940s, and the nut didn't shoot, so I don't base the following insight (?) on that long-ago episode. From what LE friends and kin have said, and with a little imagination, I think there must come a great, surging, pleasant feeling of relief at having survived a gun fight -- and manifestation or expression of that relief is often miconstrued by others as pleasure at HAVING BEEN IN the fight, having enjoyed it, although it isn't that at all.
<br>
<br>Then there was my friend Charlie Askins (the younger, of course) who was never reluctant to let all and sundry know that he flat enjoyed killing people, near or far, with a gun. He was another sort, and that's a different matter, entirely. I've never tried to understand Charlie -- just liked him for his good points and privately deplored the rest without ever discussing any of it with him.
Ken,
<br>
<br>My adult children (Julien born before 1970 and Amy born two months after the shooting) would have been here anyway. I got to see them grow up, graduate from college and become fine adults. I have three grandchildren who give me great pleasure every day.So I do get that kind of pleasure at surviving. Along with the friendship and companionship of many friends including my wife of 38 years.
<br>
<br>But the life-long loss of that day coupled to the extraordinary circumstances that put Jim where I would have normally been, have made this day a ponderous burden.
<br>
<br>Jim and I were both reserve lieutenants on the Marion County Sheriff's Reserve. That night I was helping a friend who was Town Marshall in Ravenswood, Indiana by patrolling his town in the town's car. Jim was patrolling for the county in another district. I was never more than one mile from the scene of the shooting all night. Jim was never closer than ten miles from the scene all evening.
<br>
<br>Toward the end of the shift Marion County dispatch contacted me to see if I could check an alarm at a Washington Township School about five miles south. the WTS Police on duty that night were at other schools.
<br>While checking the alarm the robbery alarm went off.
<br>
<br>Jim and his partner moved out of their district toward Ravenswood toward the end of the shift. Jim and I had riden to work together in his car.
<br>
<br>We were the second car to arrive because of the logistics of the situation. Any other time that night we'd have been first car. I wonder what difference that would have made.
<br>
<br>Jim was a law student who would have been a great lawyer. His goal was to be come county prosecutor.
<br>He'd have a good one, too.
<br>
<br>As for me I got no enjoyment from the fight or the aftermath. One of the three robbers died at the scene compliments of Lee Jurras' SuperVel administered by Deputy Emery Summers who was also seriously wounded. Two others escaped temporarily. Later one was acquitted based on testimony of six witnesses who said he was playing card with them--all fine citizens, I'm sure. The other served four years for first degree murder.
<br>
<br>Interesting aside. The one convicted was found guilty mostly on the basis of the bullet from Jim's gun removed from his leg. Later he was freed because his fifth amendment rights were violated by the removal of that bullet.
<br>
<br>For a year after the shooting I'd wakeup nearly everynight to the sound of gunfire and I could actually smell the gunsmoke even after waking up. I'd just reach down to the floor and touch the Rem 870 and go back to sleep.
Hi Ken,
<br>
<br>First, I was fortunate enough to meet Bill Jordan back in the 60's at a law enforcement conference in El Paso. I was impressed with his slow deep drawl and clear concise manner. Later at a BBQ we spoke for awhile, and I of course was in awe. He made me feel like an old friend. He was quite interestsd in our cattle rustling problems here in Florida!
<br>
<br>On the subject of close encounters of the worst kind. I had one, way back in 1966. I survived with some injuries and the BG didn't. This was not pleasant nor am I anything but thankful to be here to tell the tale. There is no exaltation in killing another human being, only in surviving a deadly encounter. It did not turn me away from short arms however, it made my become more proficient instead. It was, and I believe this today as I did then, my training in Bill Jordans methods along with my other training that allowed me to survive. I am eternally grateful that I had that training and knowledge when I needed it!
"Eleven, and a passel of Mexicans"
<br>I love starting out my day with a good laugh!
Mr. Howell sir, I just wanted you to know that I enjoyed reading your words about Bill Jordan. He was one of my 3 favorites writing about handguns, the other two being Elmer Keith and "Old Skeeter". Thanks for sharing that bit of history with us all.
<br>
<br>
You hit that on the head. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but loved his writing style. Talk about end of an era when these guys passed on. Good luck, Troy
© 24hourcampfire