Home
There is one rifle that has maintained it's common name ever since it was introduced how ever it has had two bullet diameters. You old guys hold off a bit and give the younger crowed a chance.

Bullwnkl
I'm 32, hope that's not old guy catagory.

My stab at an answer is the 303 British.
you be a young guy but with the incorrect answer.... Good WAG

Bullwnkl.
I would say 8 x 57 Mauser but they use a letter to designate the two bullet diameters, so I guess that doesn't count as the same name, huh?
OK any one, come on guys this is so simple.

Bullwnkl.
.22 rimfire?

HBB
.22 Hornet?
.264 Winchester?

HBB
.45 Colt was originally chambered in .454, is now commonly .452, but I've measured chamber throats from 0.449 up to .0456. Dunno if that's what you had in mind.
My guess is 7.62X39 - Used both .308 and .311 daimeter bullets I think.
.22 Hornet.
22 hornet. .223 qnd/or .224
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I would say 8 x 57 Mauser but they use a letter to designate the two bullet diameters, so I guess that doesn't count as the same name, huh?

That was my first guess too until I started thinking that the .318 bullets were a Mauser 88 feature not a Mauser 98 thing. Bullets for 98's were .323. Both called 8mm Mauser, but two differant animals.
Okay, I may be completely reading this wrong, but he states "one rifle", not "caliber" or "cartridge". So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Marlin 336. It's used "two bullet diameters", the .30 and the .35.
303 Savage, on the older rounds the 303 Savage factory loads had a .311 bullet in them, as the years progressed the company realized the pressure spikes were a bit on the high side, so after about 1930 they switched the bullet size to a .308 bullet. You can see the difference in size between older remmy and winchester rounds. Les
22 hornet
Just got home from eastern Oregon, the answer I was looking for is 22 hornet....223 &224 seems that a couple others would work also 7.62 x39 in both 308 and 311 and perhaps the 303 savage need to check on that one.

Bullwnkl
I have ac ouple of articles if you would like me to send them to you on the 303 Savage. Les
Originally Posted by Bullwnkl
Just got home from eastern Oregon, the answer I was looking for is 22 hornet....223 &224 seems that a couple others would work also 7.62 x39 in both 308 and 311 and perhaps the 303 savage need to check on that one.

Bullwnkl

Congratulations to me.
Please send my non-prize at your earliest convenience. grin
toltecgriz; i do believe you should go open up one of your favorite beverages and hold it on high and say "I won" thats about all the prize you are going to get.

Les old boy, the only good Savage that deserves mention is the 250-3000 of which I personally at one time had seven. I was attempting to collect every variant of the model 99 in 250-3000 but have moved on. The 303 has no appeal to me simply because I never given it much thought and shall continue not to do. My information shows that the Savage 303 was loaded with both .308 and .311 bullets but there seems not be be a concenous on who is correct. unlike the 22 hornet which has a time line in which ammo and guns were either 223 or 224. This is probably so simply due to the continued popularity of the Hornet and the obsolesece of the Savage 303. Ok now I'm interested send me what ya got. You still do not win the prize but go open your self up a cold one any way you deserve it.

Bullwnkl.
Ken Waters article on the 303 and a couple of others, the older rounds were mostly loaded with the .311, but about 1930 Winchester pushed everyone to the .308 bullet. I have ammo from 1898 all the way trhu 1980, and yes, on the ugly boxes, i pulled bullets and checked the bullet size. Les
Victory is sweet. Thanks for the idea.
les i am wondering if the measurement was the same in the lands or grooves or is the actuall bullet diameter .311 then changed to .308? I suspect you are correct in the bullet diameter. now this brings to mind how many rifles were sold as export and at which time frame....i think too much some times. Go pour that cold one.

Bullwnkl.
Now, on the barrels, every one that I miked that was in good condition, miked out at .308, but the ones that you could tell were used alot, miked out at between .309 and .312, from the info I have been able to gather, they were all originally a .308 bore, but UMC, Peters, Savage and Remington were using .311 bullets, supposedly to increase velocity. Les
That sort of sounds dangerous concidering early smokeless powder.But what do I know? Velocity sells then as it does now.

Bullwnkl.
© 24hourcampfire