Home
My curiousity often gets the best of me and I actually do a lot of research on different places to re-locate. As pathetic as that may be that I spend a considerable amount of time doing that, I've decided to find out what your dream place would be to live. For me, I'd have to say either the Northern Oregon coast or the northern Idaho area (Moscow or Coeur d'alene)
Right now I am in love with South Western Colorado. Particularly Pagosa Springs
As luck would have it, I don't have to look since I was blessed with being born in it! grin
Posted By: WesJ Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
Right here,only place on a dead end dirt road in upstate, NY. Have been looking for a better place for a couple years, can't find it.
On one of those planets where they do the "Sci-fi " XXX rated adult movies...........and I'm the lost and only male.

.....That failing,............ exactly where I'm at,....

Big ol' planet, so many great places currently denied,....

Politics, and all.

Sure would be nice to see things settle a bit.

GTC
Live in hunter's paradise (Laramie) & the job keeps me tied to Cheyenne. For reasons that are too long to explain if things went south here or I fell into a goodly amount of money I would like to relocate to Hawaii.
[Linked Image]

This is pretty dreamy to me, but it's hard to get to!

Sycamore
Western Montana was cool before it got discovered and flooded with people with the wrong ideals.
Posted By: Jamie Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
SE,AK. I'm staying here as long as the construction stays busy but sooner or later I would like to move north.

Jamie
Yukon Territory would be my pick, were it not in Canada. Or, back into the states, west of there.
Used to be my idea of heaven was Alberta, too dang many people here now. Yukon would do the trick now!
Haven't travled enough to know all the sweet places like AK, or MT. In Colorado, I am a big fan of Aspen. I would have to be a millionare to live there, but I really like it there.
some place outside of Bend Oregon if I were to move. but I will visit there from time to time.

Bullwnkl.

I would love a place that's not too populated... but not too far from a fabulous shopping mall. grin I like all four seasons (not the same temperature year around). I'd like to be able to sit in my backyard and listen to the wind blow through the trees, ditto as I fall asleep. I'd also like to be able to hear the wind through the pines and smell that wonderful piney smell. I'd like to live near woods and water (rivers and streams) and if I were near a beach, that would be wonderful. Near the ocean would be great also... mmmmm, that wonderful salt/seaweed/dead fish smell.

I lived in many places growing up (my family moved on the average of every two years), and discovered that there are wonderful things to be experienced in all parts of the U.S.

Anyone know where I can get all of the above things in one place? laugh wink

Penny
The next time I venture....it will be MT or AK or ID, no doubt. Hard not to MISS moving from place to place. Actually, sometimes, it hurtsgrin...

Can't think about it too much or I get squirrely...gotta stay focused and realize buying a house is better than renting.

Just hard not to go Nomadic...it is in my bloodgrin...

HoundGirl
Next door to HG..........
I kinda like it here:

[Linked Image]

This is pretty top-notch:

[Linked Image]

But I'm pretty happy with this one:

[Linked Image]

No matter where you go...there you are.

DN

Originally Posted by muledeer
But I'm pretty happy with this one:

You don't have to mow!! I would be too.... smirk Great pics BTW... grin
Think out of the box.......... NEW ZEALAND....truly, for hunters and fishermen,Gods country !
Regards, J Stuart.
Yep....see....that hurtsgrin!! Love where I am at...but the damn grass is always greener.....like they sell.

Someday...

Sorry I missed you this week, Dennis....it has, and remains, a crazy week. GREAT pics....I'll pretend like I didn't see 'emgrin...

HoundGirl
You didn't miss much, trust me................grin
LOL...but I hear he has a pretty charming pony tail....HotDaddy'Ogrin!!

HoundGirl
Wrap it around your hand and try to make 8 seconds.........
I thought I told you to shut up and go to bed?!!!

HoundGirlgrin
For me somewhere here in the ADK's by a stream or pond. ABout 10 acres with a view. If not here, montana or Idaho seems to suit me, although I've only traveled through
My dream is truly a McIntosh orchard in NY state with maybe a pumpkin patch in the fall and Christmas tree farm.

I'm sure it will never happen, but I can dig the idea.
Right, plus deep in the bush.
Truly. My dad was born in NY state, remember visiting my great aunt on her farm there and picking McIntosh apples (my most favorite of all foods). Always loved the smells and the colors.

I buried my dad not 5 miles from that farm.

Guess we eventually return to what we know.
No, I believed you. Just thought you might need a little more than apples. No doubt there is a draw to happy memories.
In 1009 days or less, I"ll be in South Dakota... Close enough to heaven for me..
If there is a prairie dog town nearby, help is just a phone call away. grin
whelennut
Bunny Ranch with someone elses credit card. wink
Homer Alaska would be a good start!
Posted By: Brad Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
The great thing about living in Bozeman is it's only a half hour's drive to Montana... still, a nice place to raise a family.

An iceberg in the Caribean?
Posted By: Brad Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
Originally Posted by Bullwnkl
some place outside of Bend Oregon if I were to move. but I will visit there from time to time.

Bullwnkl.

I've always wanted to see the Bend, OR area... one of these days.
Have not been to all the westerns states but of the ones I have been to, I would have to say Colorado, or Northern Wyoming would be high on the list.

I still love your snickering pig!!! wink grin

[Linked Image]

Penny
A small ranch at the foot of a BIG Mountain with lots of horses and momma cows..Kinda like where they built the Ranch in "Lonesome Dove".. Prolly Montana or Wyoming... Idaho is awesome country too...
Originally Posted by Mike_in_OR86
My curiousity often gets the best of me and I actually do a lot of research on different places to re-locate. As pathetic as that may be that I spend a considerable amount of time doing that, I've decided to find out what your dream place would be to live. For me, I'd have to say either the Northern Oregon coast or the northern Idaho area (Moscow or Coeur d'alene)

I grew up and live in my dream place...........until the surburban regufees discovered it. It's still better than most places, a few other places in the west are it's equal, but none are a whole lot better..........If Alaska didn't have 100% humidity and an incredible number of bugs, it would be a lot more tempting.

Of course it's all relative, for those who come from more populated areas, high humidity, little public land, they think it's paradise.......

Casey
Originally Posted by Brad
The great thing about living in Bozeman is it's only a half hour's drive to Montana... still, a nice place to raise a family.

Sounds kind'a like a lot of places in Colorado laugh

Casey
i wouldnt mind south texas or parts of west texas. with a spread for quarter horses and some beef.

all that being said you can't beat missouri all the deer tags you want over the counter and a ton of places to hunt.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My dream is truly a McIntosh orchard in NY state with maybe a pumpkin patch in the fall and Christmas tree farm.

I'm sure it will never happen, but I can dig the idea.

Hey Steelhead, BigPappa and I live in NY and are within 5 miles of any of these three in the right season. I know BigPappa and I have always wanted to go to Alaska, so maybe we can trade for a while.....
Hey Steelie

Where in NY? It's funny you mention the tree farm, I have a few in my area here. Always wanted one myself. Upstate NY in the fall is a sight that everyone should experience.

Adk
No matter where you go...there you are.

That about sums it up. I've been in the same place for maybe twenty years, but don't feel like I live anywhere.

My dream location? North America will do for starters, in my dreams with the freedom to roam at will.

Birdwatcher
This isn't it, but it's not far from here.

Every time I drive by this place, I always think of some poor old lonely dude moving out here, and after a few years sending off for a mail order bride from Philadelphia or Baltimore, marrying her in Cheyenne, right off the train to save a long trip, and bringing her home. I wonder what the look on her face was like when they topped the hill, and she saw her new home for the first time. I don't know what really happened here, but that's my story and I'm stickin' with it. The real story is probably better.

[Linked Image]

20 more miles and they could of been here. That's more up my alley.

[Linked Image]
I was born under a wandering star, don't ask me to pick whats best.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
It used to be right where I'm at now - the hills of Tennessee. Now it's getting too damn crowded. I think I could like a place in CO, 2-3 hours west of Denver.
It used to be right where I'm at now - the hills of Tennessee. Now it's getting too damn crowded.

Same story most everywhere frown

The sad part is, this country ain't finished settling up yet, not by a long shot.

Birdwatcher
Lived in Delta, Co. for about 7 years ( actually 2 different times about 7 years total ). Unfortunately opportunity knocked elsewhere. Delta is the place for me though, and I will eventually work my way back. The local legend is that you have to take a jar of dirt with you when you leave, so you always will have some part of that area with you, or you are bound to be back. I intentionally left without my jar, again !! RustyL
I'm here, though I'd like a lot with a few acres and a dedicated shop.

Posted By: isaac Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
British Columbia, Italy or Argentina in variations of 3-4 months each.
Originally Posted by troutfly
Used to be my idea of heaven was Alberta, too dang many people here now. Yukon would do the trick now!

Yep, used to be mine, too. I left 10 years ago when it was already getting too crowded. I went back recently and couldn't believe how much worse it is!

Where I'm at now is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up back West eventually, though, SW Montana or NW Wyoming.
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
Yep....see....that hurtsgrin!! Love where I am at...but the damn grass is always greener.....like they sell.

Someday...

Sorry I missed you this week, Dennis....it has, and remains, a crazy week. GREAT pics....I'll pretend like I didn't see 'emgrin...

HoundGirl

HG,

No problem...you had bigger things to worry about than watching me drink your beer grin.

One of the things I love about this place is that the grass is not greener...because there isn't any. Surrounded by cedars, spruce, hemlock, shore pines, huckleberry and salmonberry bushes -- I don't need any grass to mess with. Definitely a big time-saver.

Steelie has always been jealous of my hair whistle.

Another time...

DN
One of the Western or Southwestern states would be fine. But realistically, I think I will settle north of Amarillo when I retire...

1. Still in Texas, so no state income tax
2. Far enough in the country that I can have some acres
3. Far enough north that I get all four seasons, without all-out blizzards
4. Close enough to a big city with an interstate and airport and everything else that goes with a big city
5. I'll still be in Texas!

44henry
Now that's a tough question. From a recreational or interest aspect, there is no one place that can do it all. Pleasures range from bone fishing in the Bahamas to chasing critters on Alaska's tundra or watching a thong bikini roller blade past near a California beach.

For just existing, a breakfast nook picture window viewing a snow capped mountian would work just fine. Life is way too short.

With thoughts of retirement surfacing. I still have no idea about where I would like to live. 1Minute
Posted By: johnw Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
when much younger i was in cyprus several times... made some friends, kept some memories....

quite often i feel a sort of regret that i did not return to the island, and settle in..... john w
Yukon, wih a few tropical vacations each year.
Almost anywhere but here...

[Linked Image]

...where I sit right now.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Almost anywhere but here...

[Linked Image]

...where I sit right now.

Yeah, but in a pinch, ya' can always cut the fence and siphon off a few gallons of gas grin

Casey
Fell in love with starr valley/Alpine Wyo when I was there a few years ago.Great people and a beautiful area.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/27/07
It's hard to say. Having been lucky enough to travel widely across the globe and found something to like in most. Instead of naming a place I'd say how about the characteristics?

Mountains - Anywhere from Rocky to Smoky. As much as I love the peaks of the Rocky's and want to chase bears across scree there's a lot to be said for chasing squirrels and whitetails across hardwood ridges as the fog clears from the valleys

Valley's - Filled with small fields to shoot varmints and game birds and with streams flowing through them. Trout streams great but there's a lot to be said for a nice smallmouth stream.

People - Not many, but enough that's there infrastructure with health care, lumber yards, gun shops and it's always nice if there's some sort of small university. There's something about young folks around that make it interesting (Beside I need something to bitch about)

Weather - Cool rainy or warm and dry. Hot and moist is right out..... Think eastern slope of your favorite range or the western slope of Washington or Oregon.

Politics, taxes and government - NO BIG CITIES IN THE STATE - I'm tired of the liberal city dwellers determining that I need to pay more taxes for x, y and z and I'm certainly tired of paying for all the crack whores in Baltimore to squeeze out another kid for the welfare. I'm tired of my vote meaning nothing.

Critters - Big and small. Deer, Elk or Moose, bears, black or grizzly or Brown. Small game, upland game birds, decent duck or goose.

Any choice of mine will be in the USA. As pleasant as the idea of New Zealand or some other place that suits this, and that I love to visit this is the best place in the world for me.

So, Given that criteria I'd say the following ideas come to mind. New Hampshire, Some places in Arizona, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Nevada (maybe, gotta discount Vegas and Reno).

If I had to say places I've visited that I thought "damn this is nice", I'd say Ketchum ID, Yakima and Spokane WA, Ennis MT (or Bozeman), Great Falls MT, Lebanon NH area, Bend OR, Rifle or Grand Junction CO, Yea, I know they don't meet all my criteria but I've really enjoyed them when I've visited.

Most likely of all is NH as my wife is from New England and misses it and I think I could be happy there and I can transfer and stay with my same company. We'll see what happens with the wife this Sept when we visit Yellowstone, Sun Valley and the Tetons. Maybe her clue light will come on and we can figure out how to get there.

Happy Friday

Allen
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

I would love a place that's not too populated... but not too far from a fabulous shopping mall. grin I like all four seasons (not the same temperature year around). I'd like to be able to sit in my backyard and listen to the wind blow through the trees, ditto as I fall asleep. I'd also like to be able to hear the wind through the pines and smell that wonderful piney smell. I'd like to live near woods and water (rivers and streams) and if I were near a beach, that would be wonderful. Near the ocean would be great also... mmmmm, that wonderful salt/seaweed/dead fish smell.

I lived in many places growing up (my family moved on the average of every two years), and discovered that there are wonderful things to be experienced in all parts of the U.S.

Anyone know where I can get all of the above things in one place? laugh wink

Penny

Penny, You and Barak should visit western Oregon.Between the I-5 corridor and the ocean all the way from Portland down to Grants Pass is great country and you can jump off to any of the things you mentioned.

As a side note, as folks get older, their ideal place( and the things they want to do and see now) change.
Me? I'm looking for an 800 square foot shack with a 1200 square foot shop garage on a small wooded acre near water.:)
No phone...and my wife prolly wouldn't like it..:)Jim
Ahh, who says you need to invite her Jim? wink
Dream location is in central WV. Somewhere one of the middle counties that there are plenty of deer, turkey, squirrel and a place to catch some kind of fish. Oh, and very few people.
You are right, Birdie.
Heck, we even gotta PAY for our airport parking now; when I moved here it was free for the takin'. wink
The Rocky Mountains! Probably Montana. Or mebbeso Utah.
Originally Posted by Brad

Laughin'!!!!
Ain't it the truth...........
Posted By: Qtip Re: Where's your dream location? - 07/28/07
Another vote for the Adirondacks in New York.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
The U.P OF Michigan truely is gods country nothing like a yooper.Or northern wis And i like the northwest territorys.
1. Glen Rose, Texas
2. Van Zandt County, Texas
3. Jefferson, Texas
4. Grove, Oklahoma
5. Bartlesville, Oklahoma
6. south of Paris, Texas
7. Lampassas, Texas
8. Bentonville, Arkansas
9. Wayside, Kansas
10. Right Here
Bavaria, Germany in a little over 6 yrs. from now.
The Kaibab plateau?

© 24hourcampfire