Home
Posted By: Planemech Non camo hunting clothing? - 11/26/08
There's no forum for it exactly so I'll ask it here: Does anyone make the cool 3 or 4 in 1 waterproof, quiet, convertable parkas or pants in brown, olive or tans? I'm a rifle hunter and have to wear some orange, I have a vest. In Nebraska it can be 75* or 0* during deer season. I travel to hunt to and the weather varies.

Some relaxed fit reinforced knee and seat BDU style pants and a windproof shell with zip in liner and hood in browns, olive or tans would be a great product I'm thinking.

Thanks for the help or comiserations-lol.
I've very little camo that I use for hunting, it just never has turned my crank and since I predominately rifle hunt never felt the need for it.

but my gear has been pieced together from various manufacturers

here's a partial list

River's West

Patagonia

The North Face

Columbia

Cabelas

Helly Hansen
I wear a lot of stuff from JC Penney. Grey wool, brown and khaki slacks, flannel shirts.
The deer don't care, and neither do I. smile
Carhartt
It is darn hard to beat Carhartt or similar good canvas clothing - and it's already in one of the best colors possible.
I'd rather hunt naked than wear cotton in wet weather.
I REFUSE to envision that! eek

I can't disagree, however.
Posted By: Waders Re: Non camo hunting clothing? - 11/26/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That statement is not outrageous. Your chances of survival are better naked than when wearing wet cotton.

That said, I am still guilty of wearing jeans too frequently, given the weather in which I hunt...
Posted By: Waders Re: Non camo hunting clothing? - 11/26/08
For lightweight wool pants, go to your local thrift store and buy ugly suit pants. You might feel goofy wearing a grey pinstripe to the field, but you can't beat it for the money you'll spend.
Carhartt ...... non cotton

http://www.bluecollarworkwear.com/catalog/Carhartt-Coats/Carhartt-Waterproof-Breathable-Coat-C72/
kind of pricy, but LL Bean makes a parka with removable liner in green.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...t=sr&feat=outerwearGuide-42677-guide

Hard to beat Filson, if you like traditional stuff. It ain't Gore-Tex but it works, and you can wear it anywhere.
Non-good for really wet weather also, but what the heck.

I'm all for wool/fleece. Fleece especially comes in enough colors that one can easily match their McMillan....
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Carhartt

+1

Just shot my buck this weekend in a pair of carhartt bibs @ 20yds with my bow,he had no idea what hit him much less what I was wearing.
You like them Carhartt's in 35 degree rain?
Filson wool pants and shirts when cool to cold, jeans and denim shirt when warm to hot. Good heavy cotton duck, or poplin jacket waterproofed for rainy weather. And a parka and sweaters.
Filson tin pants. Might as well have the best. They aren't very quiet but they are waterproof and don't pick up burrs like my fleece.
If the good Planemech had specified 35 degrees and raining, I would not have said Carhartt. But he didn't. I note in retrospect that he did mention waterproof once, but did not say he'd be hunting in the rain. I supposed that if Carhartt was good enough for the ranchers and construction guys in Utah, it'd be good enough for a Nebraska hunter.
yep hunting is hunting, but certainly varying degrees of such.

the hunting Steelhead has been doing, can take you far away from transportation and you ARE going to get wet.

smart move to hedge his bets sans cotton.

if the hunting Planemech will be doing pretty much assures him he'll be going to a warm house with a clothes dryer at the end of the day, I'd say Carharts cotton or not will probably serve him well.
I don't mean to poke fun because i've never done their type of mountain hunting...but if some of our Backpack Forum members saw what us Rednecks wear deerhunting they would laugh hard.blue jeans tennis shoes and a jacket blaze orange baseball cap to be legal.Rain? carhartt coveralls and a boggan thinsulate gloves and boots.Hardcore swampkillers? rubber muck boots matching mossyoak and advantage suits 5 lockon stands and 5 climbers these goobers bowhunt MZ hunt and have a spear in case they see a deer in a walmart parkng lot.
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
I don't mean to poke fun because i've never done their type of mountain hunting...but if some of our Backpack Forum members saw what us Rednecks wear deerhunting they would laugh hard.blue jeans tennis shoes and a jacket blaze orange baseball cap to be legal.Rain? carhartt coveralls and a boggan thinsulate gloves and boots.Hardcore swampkillers? rubber muck boots matching mossyoak and advantage suits 5 lockon stands and 5 climbers these goobers bowhunt MZ hunt and have a spear in case they see a deer in a walmart parkng lot.

+1 laughing!!!!
and if it rains...a $4.95 alpenflage poncho from Cheaper than Dirt- so you won't get wet on the way back to the truck.....
Check out the sales at Midway after season. I bought a top-end Browning quad parka last spring for $89. I'm down with wool too, and underarmor.
I have had the same problem for years, cold in the morning and evenings and warm in the day. I do have a lot of camo but mostly because it has quieter fabric than the hiking/backpacking alternative. Mostly I have built a layering system of regular clothes that includes fleece, poly undies etc. that includes a backpack which becomes my clothing reservior. I actually will wear a "wick to" layer over my "wicking from" layers to hold that moisture away from my body, it works well for me but do not have to suffer the Alaskan 35 degree rain very often. I usually pack a huge amount of gloves as I have issues with cold hands. Then of course comes all the other gadgets that I can't live without...
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I've made that mistake (not hunting naked, but wearing cotton.) I was hunting black bears in AK and we hiked in about 3 miles. I worked up a sweat and my cotton boxers were soaked. We were camped on a melting avalanche, watching the other side of the valley for black bears, and my underwear wouldn't dry out. I finally pulled down my pants and cut them off. (Just my underpants crazy .) I was momentarily nekid I guess, but I was a lot more comfortable after that. blush

Now I wear UnderArmor. Your first layer should not hold moisture. Never wear cotton next to your skin in cold weather, if there's a chance it can get wet. There's a reason Alaskans say "cotton kills."

Steve
Wool and/or fleece are the way to go.
I have camo cargo pants.....a couple camo tees....a camo scarf....a camo house key(sorta dum....when getting home at 2 in the AM and dropping it in the grass on my way up the stairs...lol)....and few pairs of camo panties(I know, TMI)....but I don't wear it when I am in the woods.

I wear dark colored Gortex(sp?)...over the top of longjohns....and layers if it is cold. I LOATHE being hot.....so if I have a pack with me I just wear the shell and pack extra layers that slide if the wind picks up or the temps drop.

That said, I am still new to this....
© 24hourcampfire