Home
Posted By: Don Gordon Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Well, I see a few fire members celebrated the 75th anniversary of prohibition last night, or as Rocky calls the new holiday "Cinko de Drink". grin Me, I was ok with some Maker's Mark and a few chasers of Bass Ale, but was wondering what the BEST handover remedy that everyone uses.

In my younger and carefree (or should say care-less)days, I'd always have Hair-of-the-Dog, but it's been a while since I'd been on a real bender. What do you guys use after a large consumption of grain beverages??
Lots of water & Vitamin B
Since I switched from bourbon and coke,years ago to scotch and soda,I don't have hangovers anymore.I think it has to do with I don't drink as much as I use to,my wife taught me there's more to life than the bottom of a bottle.I was on the verge of being an alcoholic.
I had some of the same issues. It only took about 15 years to understand that Quality beats Quantity everytime.
V-8 salt and pepper and tobasco with a raw egg drink it right down as fast as you can, follow with water. You may start to feel better in a few hours.
a six pack of beer and 3 pieces of fried chicken
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
A nice big juicy steak with acouple of eggs.
Posted By: djs Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Plenty of water and lots of sleep time.
Posted By: djs Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Or, if I can hold it down, a bottle of Pepsi Cola (caffene and sugar) and bag of potato chips.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
A nice big juicy steak with acouple of eggs.

since I got older I am care full not to drink enough to get a hangover, but I do like this cure. except you forgot the hash browns 7 stw lol. tom
A good shot of Banamine in some orange juice will knock the snot out of a hangover. Any cowboys or horse people will know what I'm talking about.

A good spicy double bloody mary sure tastes better, though..
Posted By: kennyd Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Originally Posted by Don Gordon
I had some of the same issues. It only took about 15 years to understand that Quality beats Quantity everytime.

Yep, and with older age comes the inability to abuse yourself as much. Now, a glass of wine, one mixed drink, or half a beer is sometimes all I want. Does save on the likker bill.
QUIT DRINKIN'!
I'm with Pumpgun and KennyD.In my younger days I had hangovers that lasted three days and drinking bouts that lasted longer. Almost got lost in the bottle a few times when I was working out in the Nevada desert. Now I might drink a six pack a year and haven't had any JD for about two years. I use to buy JD in the big bottle evey week.

Never did find anything that cured a hangover though
Posted By: jnyork Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
QUIT DRINKIN'!

Works great!! grin
Just to bring up the topic of not drinking as it can be done. I stopped drinking all alcoholic drinks in 1993. Its been just fine without it.

We enjoy the company of others who drink as long as its rational. We are regulars at the East Side Restaurant and the Big Beer Cheer is part of the fun. Lots of smiling faces there.

Turn up your sound. http://www.eastsiderestaurant.com/

That video on their site really shows the fun.

[Linked Image]
if I don't want a hangover I drink vodka and OJ ( they were out of those shirts, but man they were cool)

if I get carried away in R&R or Crown, I'm just gonna have to deal with it.

goes with the territory, if you're gonna have a family, you're most likely going to have to put up with a wife, if you're going to get whiskey drunk, head's apt to be a mite tender in the morn.
Two aspirins, one Tylenol, a short glass of Pedialyte, followed by two shots of Tequila. If I don't puke, it will all be good in a couple of hours.

There's always a price to pay!
Originally Posted by jnyork
QUIT DRINKIN'!

Works great!! grin

Same technique I use.!!
8 jack-in-the-box tacos and a bottle of Paul Newmans's Caesar salad dressing. By the time everything comes back up you'll feel just capital.
If you don't want to quit drinkin' [size:8pt](all people learn things in different ways and at different rates) at least look for a better class of "friends" who can help you know "when to say when". If the people you drink with now aren't doin' that for you, well - maybe you should look for someone with a better developed sense of responsibility.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got! I wish I had a few billion of my brain cells now that went down the drain or up in smoke in my younger days.

I know - there's nothing worse than a reformed (fill in the blank).
[/size]
and judgmental...
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
and judgmental...

Judgmental? Not me. Just sharing knowledge gained from life experience.
Yawn...
Well, it's been said that less drinking is better and that's the path I've chosen. But, the best thing I've found for the hangover is to strap on my running shoes and start pounding out some miles.

Drink as much water as you can handle and get to it....It'll only take a mile or two to get rid of the headache,,,,,
Just because someone drinks too much and has a hangover doesn't mean they're alcoholic and need new friends.

My life isn't yours.
Quit drinkin? I always say I'm gonna do that when I'm really hung over and it never helps me feel better...

Hair of the dog followed by a little sleep then some KFC and maybe a soda then lots of water.

I work sunday through wednesday.

Sunday mornings I usually refill oxygen bottles for our battalion, and local LE & FD cooperators.

When the bottles are full the excess O2 in the lines is bled off.

Guys that had too much fun the previous night breathe in the oxygen and are up to snuff in no time.

I bet Nurse Kat has administered O2 to more than one hungover cop or DR in her career!

At home the big steak or taco breakfast can work, followed by lots of water.
Excedrin MIgraine and a CAN of Pepsi, followed by Gatorade (lots of) and excersise.

Posted By: FC363 Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
I read all of these posts and got to the last one before 30Gibbs mentioned Oxygen. It flat out works. To prevent the hangover, mix with diet pop instead of regular, and drink a large glass of water with Alka-Seltzer before going to bed. Of course, this assumes you are still in a state of mind to remember it in the first place. sick
I don't get them........never have, must be the polack blood runnin' thru me. grin
Just because someone drinks too much and has a hangover doesn't mean they're alcoholic and need new friends.

My life isn't yours.

We can rationalize anything. "Just because someone drinks too much and has a hangover" SHOULD give you a clue that you drank too much, Duh!!

The best way to cure it is to not "drink too much".

Whatever floats your boat!
You bad people need to stop drinking that stuff that gives you hangovers!

Drink Ketel One instead. It costs a bit more,..but you can get plumb smacked on the stuff and still wake up feeling vaguely human the next day.
Ah hell, everyone knows Stoli is better than Ketel One, but I can't drink Vodka, what do I know. grin
Stoli is good,..but Ketel One is in a class by itself.
Best thing to do is not drink so stinkin much that you have one.They have meetings for this sorta thing you dang alchies,grin
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
QUIT DRINKIN'!

My dad always used to tell me that nobody likes a quitter.

George
Some have addictive personalities, whether it's booze, drugs or religion. They certainly follow Oscar Wilde's line "Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess"

They also love to project.
Violator22 over 30,000 post??? You got to be sh-ttin me, You don't have time to drink your on here all the time .Or do you drink while youre on here?? LOL
,..and what kinda Polski can't drink vodka?!!

My Polish in laws thump a liter bottle of the stuff down on the center of the table during dinner.

A place setting at their houses is a plate, knife, fork, spoon,...and a cut crystal shot glass.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Some have addictive personalities, whether it's booze, drugs or religion. They certainly follow Oscar Wilde's line "Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess"

They also love to project.

Does that go for women and Stripper poles? grin
That's being a man.
Popsicles used to help me. But I decided I wasnt very good (or too good)at drinking so I quit. Drink ,not the popsicles.
Posted By: Sassy Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Originally Posted by Bristoe

M

He isn't polish, just thinks he is. Too much vodka! He's got a bit of Russian in him but no POLISH!
Originally Posted by Sassy
Originally Posted by Bristoe

M

He isn't polish, just thinks he is. Too much vodka! He's got a bit of Russian in him but no POLISH!

No Polish in me either,...but occasionally there's some of me in the Polish. I'm married to one.

,..but I digress,...
,..which reminds me,...

It's Satidday!

be back in a bit,...
Posted By: shreck Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Food! Eat a huge breakfast, put the electrolites back in your body, and sleep.
Posted By: JOG Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
An attempted suicide...er...hangover cure NOT to try is a piping hot bath.

Back in the day I once drank most of a plastic jug of Canadian Hunter. The next day I was ruined and figured I'd boil the poison out of me. After 15-minutes in the tub my muscles got all wiggly and I didn't have the strength to lift myself out. Either the water had to cool off fast or I was going to die. I summoned the little strength I had left, threw a leg over the tub and just kinda sloshed onto the bathroom floor

I laid there for quite a while, naked in a puddle, and pondered the answer of life.

It's 34-1/2, but I don't know the question.
Six authentic Mexican tacos and two Modelo Especials. Perfect hangover cure!!!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Don't drink enough to have one! smile smile
what i do is take a vitamin and drink a glass of water before i go to the party. that way i don't have to remember anything if i do get a little tipsy.

it's not the hangover i am worried about, it's that fuzzy feeling in the morning i hate. i don't get "Real" hangovers where everything hurts and i am wiped out. i just get the annoying tired fuzzy feeling.

anyway, the vitamin B in the vitamin does the job and the water hydrates you, and i have never had a hangover since i started this regimen.

-Matt
Posted By: Tracy Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/06/08
Originally Posted by JOG

Back in the day I once drank most of a plastic jug of Canadian Hunter.

My wife and I often joke, when we hear the term "back in the day", that everyone we hear saying it is young enough that their "back in the day" is recent history to us. whistle

No offense intended, but liquor didn't come in plastic bottles in my "back in the day".
I guess that's why each generation has its own sayings, huh?

As for hangovers, I have found that drinking bourbon straight and chasing with water doesen't cause hangovers. It's the sugar, primarily, that causes the hangover.

Another thing that helps, regardless of what you are drinking, is to drink a tall glass of water before you go to sleep.
Posted By: JOG Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/07/08
Originally Posted by Tracy
Originally Posted by JOG

Back in the day I once drank most of a plastic jug of Canadian Hunter.

My wife and I often joke, when we hear the term "back in the day", that everyone we hear saying it is young enough that their "back in the day" is recent history to us. whistle

No offense intended, but liquor didn't come in plastic bottles in my "back in the day".
I guess that's why each generation has its own sayings, huh?

I do remember the first plastic jug I guzzled out of - cheap vodka by the gallon in 1976. I have a scar on my forehead as a memorial.

So...what was the first booze you drank out of a clay pot? wink
The best thing I ever did was learn to prevent them. After a night of boozing out I would force myself to drink a quart of water before going to bed. I would also take a multivitamin if one was available.

Alcohol is is diuretic and a good part of the hangover is your body responding to being dehydrated. Drinking that quart of water helps big time in preventing the headache and body aches the next day.

I also had to learn the hard way to not mix my liquors. Find a drink you like and stick with it. Buy the best of that liquor you can afford.

Some hard partying college years and time on active duty taught me a few hard lessons about drinkin'.
A friend once told me.....

You grab the throne and heave and heave. After a while you'll heave one last time and spit up a little brown furry thing. You'll feel better.

But you want to keep the little brown furry thing. It's supposed to be attached at the other end. grin

Craig
i down a bunch of water and try to always sober up before crashing out the other solution i found was just to not sober up grin
the oxygen bottle idea is a fact,back in the 80's when I was working at a comedy club,Sam Kinnison used to stipulate in his contract that we have a bottle of oxygen there for him and after a few nights of drinking with Sam I tried it and Damn if it didn't work.
I still stand by my original post that a 6 pack and 3 pieces of fried chicken will get you up and around though.
Posted By: Jamie Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/08/08
Drink a bunch of water before going to bed and gatorade in the morning.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's being a man.

What was that from the "Red Green Show"

"I'm a man - but I can change - if I have to - I think."

I guess you had to be there.
I also know a feller who quit drinking in one night, and hasn't had a drop in over 20 years.

He came home drunk one too many nights - but this night he crawled into bed, slapped his wife on the keester (that's butt for you youngsters) and said "OK Baby, you're next!"

Hasn't had a drink since!!
Buy seriously folks,

Alcohol is a diuretic, so yes, drink water.

Drink good booze. Cheap booze will cause more of a hangover. More "junk" in cheap booze.

"Hair of the dog" Scientific principle that states a little of what poisoned you in the first place will make you feel better. Fact. Your body produced a bunch of stuff to get rid of the alcohol and now it is helping to make you feel bad. You got some left over. A little more booze will help get rid of it. That's why bloody marys are so popular on January 1st.

Aspirin before you go to bed.

Puke if you have to. It may empty the garbage left in your stomach and let you start fresh.

I remember waking up one morning, sicker than a dog from a night in the bars, while I was still living with my parents. I headed for the bathroom, where my mother was prepping her makeup. As I began to disgorge the contents of my stomach into the porcelin fish bowl, I was hoping for a pat on the head and a little sympathy from my loving mother. Instead, she looked down at my pathetic self and said, "Aren't you ever going to learn?"

I can no longer take the physical abuse a hangover provides, so I don't drink as much. Getting old is a bitch.

Fast Ed (on the wrong side of 50)
Another vote for good booze. I'm too old for that stuff, and am amazed how with the good stuff, and a quart of water before bed, I'm feeling pretty good the next morning.

It also reminds me of a line in The Old Man and the Boy I'll paraphrase. "When you learn you can't drink all the booze in the world, then you'll stop trying"

Keep the drink count in the single digits, and you'll have less of a hangover to battle.
Posted By: btb375 Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/12/08
Don't get sober
Chew one Exedrine, put two more in your mouth and down a tall glass of water before bed.
A good shot of Banamine in some orange juice will knock the snot out of a hangover. Any cowboys or horse people will know what I'm talking about.

Banamine is a smooth muscle relaxant not a pain reliever. That's why it's given to horses with colic - it relaxes the muscles around the intestines so "things" can move along, hopefully relieving colic.

The pain relief comes from the Phenylbutazone (Bute).

If I'm hungover, one of the last things I want is my intestines loosened up! YMMV.

Posted By: Ivan Re: Whatcha do for a Hangover?? - 12/12/08
Know your limits. If you must exceed them, them make sure to hydrate.
Big bowl of Menudo!
Check your sources - it's an analgesic.

PHARMACOLOGY: Flunixin meglumine is a potent, non-narcotic, nonsteroidal, analgesic agent with anti-inflammatory and antipyretic activity. It is significantly more potent than pentazocine, meperidine, and codeine as an analgesic in the rat yeast paw test.
I haven't drank or smoked in over 20yrs. I used to do both to excess. One thing I did find out after quitting was that smoking adds alot to a hangover.

A few yrs ago I went to a Christmas party. I didn't have a drink, but there was alot of smoking going on and there was lots of second hand smoke to be inhaled by me that night. I woke up with a mild hangover the next day.
I didn't read the whole thread. Don't know if someone covered this already.

Oxygen. Learned as a pup working in welding shops to hit the O2 bottle for a hangover. Several good deep breaths, wait a minute, then several more. Come back in 10 minutes and do again if necessary. Clears the cobwebs out of your head and ends a headache post-haste.

An hour later you're ready to start drinking again smile

Originally Posted by outlawlineman
Six authentic Mexican tacos and two Modelo Especials. Perfect hangover cure!!!

That's not just a good hangover cure it's a great breakfast too!!
© 24hourcampfire