Home
just thought i'd see if anyone out there has any info on a colt new frontier model pistol. it's got black plastic/bakelite grips, can't tell which. case hardened frame, 100% on bluing on barrel and hammer shroud, nice pistol.

friend of mine wants to swap this for a home defense handgun, and i may make a trade.

TLEE, you awake yet?

-tom
I am assuming the "Scout" sized NF. They sold forever for around $300 in average condition. Of course, rare variants would be more. I looked on Gun Broker and only one was offered at $600 buy it now. It was started at $450 and there were no bids on it. Many have/had the Magnum cylinder and that makes it worth maybe $50 more.

There is no doubt the combination of Colt's tumultuous ownership history along with the election of Hussein combine to make it worth a little more than the historic $300. I'd want to get into it at or below $400 unless it really is mint.

My wife has one and it is a dandy plinker.
bumping to top to see if tlee is awake yet.

how's nursekat, anyone?
I sold one just like that, mint, with the magnum cylinder and Colt box for four hundred dollars seven or eight years ago. Wish I hadn't.
the price must be holding, cause my neighbor just paid 400 for one a couple of months ago.
Originally Posted by tommygs
just thought i'd see if anyone out there has any info on a colt new frontier model pistol. it's got black plastic/bakelite grips, can't tell which. case hardened frame, 100% on bluing on barrel and hammer shroud, nice pistol.

friend of mine wants to swap this for a home defense handgun, and i may make a trade.

TLEE, you awake yet?

-tom

Sorry about that, I missed this one.

100% values below assume NIB condition. Subtract 10% without box.

FRONTIER SCOUT (Q or F SUFFIX)
- .22 LR or .22 Mag. (introduced after 1960) cal., "Q" or "F" suffix, blue with bright alloy frame, all blue, or duotone ("Q" models only) finish (rare), 4 3/4 or 9 1/2 (Buntline) in. barrel, available with interchangeable cylinders after 1964, black composition or walnut grips, approx. 246,000 mfg. 1957-70.
Grading
100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%
$600 $425 $325 $250 $200 $175 $150
Add 10% for extra cylinder.
Add 20% for Buntline model.
Add 25% for "Q" suffix with duo-tone finish (mfg. 1957-58 only).
Add 10% for original box.
FRONTIER SCOUT (K SUFFIX)
- Zamac alloy frame version of "Q" Model with "K" suffix, blue or nickel finish with walnut stocks, approx. 44,000 mfg. 1960-70.
Grading
$600 $425 $325 $250 $200 $175 $150
Add 100% for double cased Scout set.
Add 150% for double cased Scout Buntline set.
This model used the alloy Zamac for manufacture (as opposed to aluminum in the "Q" and "F" suffix models), and specimens are 6 oz. heavier as a result.
FRONTIER SCOUT �62 (P SUFFIX)
- blue finish version of "K" Model, except has "P" suffix, staglite grips, approx. 68,000 mfg. 1962-70.
Grading
$600 $450 $375 $275 $225 $175 $160
Add 20% for Buntline.
Add 50% with extra cylinders.
Add 100% for double cased Scout set.
Add 150% for double cased Scout Buntline set.
just checkin' to see if tlee is around. need to see what the gun guru says...
thanks mr lee. appreciate that amigo.

-tom
No offense to T Lee, but the models quoted in his post are not, any of them, the model we are talking about. The "New Frontier" .22 SAA's with the case hardened frame normally have a "G" prefix, and if you are going to look at the "Blue Book", they are the ones called the "New Frontier Scout", for some reason. The guns themselves only say "New Frontier".

One month ago, I bought a "New Frontier", .22LR cylinder only, with the 4.4" barrel, in nearly 100% condition, but no box or papers, for $400. I jumped right on that one, and was happy to get it. At the same time, I passed on a case-hardened "Peacemaker",22LR/.22Mag, 6" barrel, for the same price, because it had a bit of rust on it. But the next day, another customer scarfed it right up! I wish I had bought that one too, just for the .22Mag cylinder, which go for about $150 now.

I think, with respect to these pistols, the "Blue Book" pricing is in the ballpark, unlike a lot of other guns!

However, I might add, if the piece you're looking at has the safety device built in to loading port, that is a major deduct, IMHO. Check it out. I am finicky, I won't buy them if they have the safety device.

There were also very late production "New Frontier" models without the case-hardened frame, they are all blue. These are worth even less, As they not only have the safety device, but the bluing on the frame, on the ones I've seen is really crappy.

Hope this helps! grin
© 24hourcampfire