Home
Posted By: Sitka deer Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
After making several negative comments about Buck and his show recently I felt obligated to watch his show when it popped up this afternoon.

I had serious heartburn with him a number of years ago when he twirled his Mossberg shotgun into the concrete pad at a trap range while talking to the camera. he literally cupped the toe of the butt in his palm and twirled the shotgun.

Combined with his other fine traits I was nearly compelled to puke. There were lots of other safety issues shown so I wrote Mossberg, a show sponsor, to tell them how I felt. They did not respond.

A few months later Buck was charged with a Lacey Act violation for transporting AK caribu he shot the same day airborne. The guide, James Fejes, was arrested and paid dearly. The other "hunter" were also charged.

Buck cut a deal with the Feds and never answered to AK law. As part of his Fed sentence he was not allowed to hunt in the US for several years and had to make public service announcements on his show about how bad law breaking is...

James apent a year in jail and lost a Super Cub and a lot more. he shoulda knowed better...

Here is a link to James' appeal: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/7A8FEAE91A0D94FF88256E5A00707975/$file/9930144.pdf?openelement

http://www.huntingreport.com/hunting_article_details.cfm?id=472

I wrote to Mossberg again and heard nothing. I have now written off Mossy and will not order them for folks or have anything else to do with them, period.

All of this is just lead-in to the jerk in today's show... The same old Buck I remembered from before. He was black bear hunting in Alberta and shot a small bear on the first day. It was of course "huge" on the show, despite the fact it required stretching to make Dink.

But, he then said he was just going to spend the rest of his trip waiting for a blonde 8' black bear. His "guides" told him he could do that.

He then prceeded to shoot another ordinary black phase, but this one was now "Enormous!" It may have been 6', which is not a bad bear... but black roots went all the way to the tips of the hair and the 8' range was not in sight.

Took a short peek at his website and did not find Mossberg listed as a sponsor, but Muck boots and SigSauer are there.
http://outdoorsmanint.com/

Mossberg had their chance at my affections and lost it and Buck is still a complete putz.
art
Posted By: ironbender Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09

Fat [bleep] Buck.

Putz is complimentary.
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
When I put my cursor on the 'links', a Savage logo (Indian Head) appears...No mention of Savage inside though.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Ironbender
He gives Pus-Guts everywhere a bad name...

Jed
Noticed that, too, but did not find a link either. I remember one of his "shows" when the Savage Accu-trigger first came out and he was gushing all over it at SHOT. That about 3-4 years ago?
art
Posted By: Stan V Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
I haven't seen any of his stuff on DirecTV.....I reckon I don't have to endure switching channels when he's on. There are much better outdoor shows on than this goober.

There's another one I don't care for....Wayne something. 'That's what it's all about' is his main line.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Wayne Carlton??

Theres only a few I will watch and Jim Shockey is one of em. I like him. and Colorado Buck, him too.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Originally Posted by Tom264
Wayne Carlton??

Theres only a few I will watch and Jim Shockey is one of em. I like him. and Colorado Buck, him too.

Could be.....Georgia boy I think. Boring.

I like Shockey and Realtree. Buckmasters is OK. I can't stand that stupid neck wrap worn though......gay.
Posted By: Kodiman Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Mcneely is a "Puss Gut"....

Jim is brothers with "Same day Sam"

And Blaine is related to Rocky...

Nuff said...........
Posted By: Sako Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
ugh... He is a TV hunter.... THey are all the same... Why does this surprise anyone?
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Amazing Buck McNeely is still on TV. Garbage along with most other shows.

Shockey, Primos, Eastmans, Bowhunter Magazine and a small hand full of others are O.K. in my opinion.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Forgot, I like Eastmans too.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Originally Posted by Tom264
Wayne Carlton??

I like Colorado Buck also.And his 300 Roy.
Posted By: Kodiman Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Shockey is a pimp....

It's one of the few shows I enjoyed watching. I haven't had TV in over a year. So I've missed most of the recent stuff. But, Shockey always seemed like a down to Earth, funny guy, that knew his [bleep]...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09

Wayne Pearson, here is a real odd ball.
Kodiman
"And Blaine is related to Rocky..."

That never clicked until just now. I have met him a number of times and never made the connections. Did not realize until reading Fejes' appeal that he was there on the "Buck" hunt.

Just wildly guessing Jim and Buck would drive a guide to drop a dime... wink And how did Blaine miss the pinch otherwise?
art
I see almost none of the TV shows and usually go elsewhere when I bump into them... But I do know a few guys personally that are on the shows and some of them I can like.

Scott Haugen has been a good friend since long before he started writing and I have hunted and fished with him many times. And I intend to again. Any opinion I might have would be swayed by that, I am sure. But I have not actually seen more than a couple of his shows.

Cam Hanes of Eastman's Bowhunting hunted with Scott and I for a couple weeks on Kodiak once and he is tough! Have not been blown away by his show the one time I saw it...

Buck is a whole other thing... He must have a little loose change for hunting on...
art
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
The Outdoorsman premiered in 1985 - on one T.V. station in Cape Girardeau, Missouri! Since then, it has become the largest syndicated outdoor adventure series in the USA.

This has got to be bull$hit...I've never heard or seen the dude...
He will obviously do all sorts of repugnant stuff... What makes you think lying is out of the question?
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
Our local CBS station used to air his shows at 10:30 p.m. Sunday nights. I watched the first show because I had never heard of him. After that, I tuned in to watch him make a fool of himself. Did you see his Africa show where he hunted with Peter Capstick? Buck (while wearing his safari hat with zebra hat band) shoots an animal, I think it was an Nyala. Anyway, he turns around to Capstick and brags about the distance of the shot, which was clearly less than he stated. Capstick looks at him and says "in your dreams Buck". My other favorite was when he shot the 6' Russian Brown Bear off a cliff and then tries to sell what a whopper it was. I thought his Russian guides were going to start laughing. The shows haven't been on here for a couple of years now, but to this day anyone in our deer camp that does something stupid or shoots a dink is said to have pulled a "McNeely". grin

Mike
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Buck McNeely - 01/04/09
"Capstick looks at him and says "in your dreams Buck"."

I saw that one, it was funny. I used to watch the show once in a while, no cable...

Most of the time it was pretty brutal to watch.
"In your dreams" would have been something worth seeing after the ones I have seen!
Posted By: bcp Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
When I put my cursor on the 'links', a Savage logo (Indian Head) appears...No mention of Savage inside though.

Win a hunting trip with Buck McNeely and Savage CEA Ron Coburn.

http://www.savagearms.com/062005sweepstakesrelease.htm
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
Guess I need to find Savage's current stance on old Buck...
Posted By: Stan V Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
How did Buck ever manage to get a hunt with Capstick? Is that true?

They hunted together as guests....

http://www.booktrail.com/Video_HuntAfrica/African%20Safari%20-%20Buck%20McNeely.asp

Posted By: rosco1 Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
I havent seen him on tv in years. total ass clown. i can remember him claiming to have shot a 14 pound mallard!
While checking things out I found a laughable little piece...
http://www.youtube.com/user/BuckMcNeely

Note the barrel resting on the shooting sticks! smile Can you say reenactment?
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
Didn't Old beer belly Buck get pinched in some canned hunt thing in Missouri too?

Pretty sure I remember hearing that, but don't remember ever hearing about any aftermath.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
don't forget guys, ole buck is the "talent" on a show (like all hunting shows) designed to entertain the viewer. i don't watch him, but some obviously are or he'd be off the air (which i suspect he will be in a year or two). gotta love the remote control!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I see almost none of the TV shows and usually go elsewhere when I bump into them... But I do know a few guys personally that are on the shows and some of them I can like.

Scott Haugen has been a good friend since long before he started writing and I have hunted and fished with him many times. And I intend to again. Any opinion I might have would be swayed by that, I am sure. But I have not actually seen more than a couple of his shows.

Cam Hanes of Eastman's Bowhunting hunted with Scott and I for a couple weeks on Kodiak once and he is tough! Have not been blown away by his show the one time I saw it...

Buck is a whole other thing... He must have a little loose change for hunting on...
art

Art
I'll try to keep your opinion of Haugen in mind, but from what I've seen on his show I have to say he and his show were unimpressive. I'm intentionally being polite. I remember one show when he encouraged a kid to Arkansas his first pheasant. No offense to those from Arkansas intended. It's just an expression with a universally understood meaning.
I appreciate that, and in all honesty I have only seen a couple of Scott's early shows. My experience with him has shown a guy with incredible drive and work ethic, serious skills with many different impliments and I have never heard him whine about anything.

Goes a long way with me...
art
Posted By: bucktail Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
I can't believe that he's still on the air. Last time I watched him was the early 90's. My roommate would be watching his soap and would switch to Buck when I came in so that I wouldn't make fun of him (as much). I thought he looked pretty much washed up then. Is he still pimping that copper bracelet that fixes whatever ails you?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Buck McNeely - 01/05/09
As a licensed professional hunting guide Fejes should be held to much higher standards than your everyday hunter and should no longer be in business. Methinks this probably isn't the first time he's done this and probably won't be the last.
This happened about 10 years ago now... Fejes spent a year in jail, paid some big fines and lost a Super Cub. There are a lot of rapists doing less...
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
LOL..........comparing a rapist to illegal guide activities is a bit of a stretch don't you think?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
I remember one show when he encouraged a kid to Arkansas his first pheasant. No offense to those from Arkansas intended. It's just an expression with a universally understood meaning.

T-
Apparently not universal. What is that?

As an aside I bought Scott's egg-cure book. He seems to know his business there.
in Cape Girardeau, Missouri!

Same townRushbo hails from.

Coincidence?
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
Originally Posted by ironbender
I remember one show when he encouraged a kid to Arkansas his first pheasant. No offense to those from Arkansas intended. It's just an expression with a universally understood meaning.

T-

Arkansas=Shooting the bird before it takes flight.

Mike
Posted By: Teal Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
IOW - ground swatting...
Ground sluicing?

I use that to refer to more than one though.
Posted By: kciH Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

T-

Arkansas=Shooting the bird before it takes flight.

Mike

Ground swatting is the term I'm familiar with. Hope they did not have hunting dogs with them.
I guess I'm an AR hick, then. If it's the person's first bird, I don't see anything wrong with ground smacking.

Like my kids' first grouse - take them while the bird is on the branch thinking WTF?
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
I use that to refer to more than one though.

They don't in Arkansas. grin

Mike

Posted By: duckster Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
I still remember watching him hunt in Africa on some show, and they shot a duiker. Buck's first question was "are they good to eat?" The PH then told him they tend to eat the human crap around the villages. I think he still would have eaten the little bugger!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
AkMtnHntr
"LOL..........comparing a rapist to illegal guide activities is a bit of a stretch don't you think?"

Agreed they are nothing like alike... Have never seen a rapist get his airplane taken away, either! wink

I have seen rapists get far less. And that is not by way of saying poachers should get off light, just that true violent criminals often get lighter sentences.
art
Ironbender
The egg cure book is the single highest selling book ever put out by Amato Press... I asked here for cure recipes for Scott and picked up several for him that are in the book.

I have let kids ground swat their first bird... though film might sway my opinion on that. Once they get some age or experience the ground swatting is over...
art

Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
I guess I'm an AR hick, then. If it's the person's first bird, I don't see anything wrong with ground smacking.

Like my kids' first grouse - take them while the bird is on the branch thinking WTF?

It was a pointed pheasant, just to be clear. Now, to be unclear, a grouse on a limb seems okay for some reason, although I'd prefer flight.

Just last weekend we were out and I had a youngster with me carrying a Red Ryder because 1. He wouldn't stay home (God bless him). and 2. It was a good chance to teach the safety and procedures of bird hunting.

Anyway, he had been real good but was vexed because I wouldn't let him cock the RR, when he spotted an unpointed quail on the ground. To reward his sharp eye, I told him to go ahead and take a shot with the BB gun. That made the bird fly and we added him to the bag. That may be putting too fine a point on it, but to me there was a significant difference. YMMV

I never shot an unwounded pheasant on the ground, but I have shot a few that were still retracting their landing gear. smile

Another boy that was with us did shoot his first pheasant and quail flying with his first two shots. That was my pal, Max, whom I haven't mentioned much lately, but I was awful proud of him - not just for his shooting but his general conduct and safe gun handling.

It was a pretty special day.
Sounds like it was a grand day!
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
I forgot about ol'Buck.You mean he still has a show. I guess thats one reason I don't watch much T.V.(unless the Steelers are playing!)I remember one show,one of the only ones of his I watched,where he was catching Silvers and KICKING them back in the river.He was on a river in the Gulf of Alaska.Always wondered if it was the Tsiu!?
I have seen the idiot doing the kick-to-release move on at least one show before... Saw a guy get ticketed for that once and believe it should be more strictly enforced. If you are too lazy to bend over and release fish you should quit...
Posted By: bucktail Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
The shape he was in last time I saw his show, I'm not sure he could bend over, and that's been ~ 20 years ago.
Pusgut still applies...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Buck McNeely - 01/06/09
Buck is a true dumbass.

I watched him on a hunt in central Montana. He was packing some fancy looking braked rifle with a 50mm scope.

Shot an antelope at about 200 yards square in the ass, chased it for awhile and shot it a couple more times. Ugly, couldn't believe it made television.

On the same hunt he shot a little mulie right in the antlers at maybe 100 yards. Funnier than hell...

Douchebag extraordinaire.
Posted By: Cigar Re: Buck McNeely - 08/07/11
I am seeing an episode on duck hunting in Mexico... I googled him and found you guys...

He has a basketball player,Orlando ??, and some other guy.. This is the worst...The shooting sucks.. They are missing or winging them at best.. The shooting is childlike and the banter is not much better...Not one bird have these jerk offs picked up..

I can't believe this guy has a show... He must had inherited a ton of money to fund this....

He just said
"as fast as the birds are moving you have to hit them with 2 shots"
... My God........ mad
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Buck McNeely - 08/07/11
"Buck is a true dumbass."

Concise and to the point. I like.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Buck McNeely - 08/08/11
Sorry! Don't watch this crap! I'd have to be squatted on the schitter cuz that's what they'd give me if I partook of all the horseschitt they put out!!
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Buck McNeely - 08/08/11
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/BuckMcNeely?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/0/-t56FRC5aLo[/video]
Posted By: Karnis Re: Buck McNeely - 08/08/11
Colorado Buck?

Barf, gag.........

Forget about anything good on hunting shows, that is except for Tiffany. Hawt......
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Buck McNeely - 08/08/11
Love the safety aspect of shooting skylined deer... Must have ground penetrating radar vision to make that right...
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Buck McNeely - 08/08/11
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Love the safety aspect of shooting skylined deer... Must have ground penetrating radar vision to make that right...

+1
I watched that episode.
Ole Buck was thrilled with killing the two year old pencil horned buck, upon retrieval he says to the guide something to the effect of "Damn, now that's a trophy eh, must go at least 300 lbs!"

That was the first time I'd ever seen him on TV.

It was more than enough...

eek
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Buck McNeely - 08/08/11
Yeah, I watched one episode years ago which featured his patented "kick-release" fishing method. That was enough.

Was in the same room with him once at the SHOT Show. Did not ask for his autograph.
Posted By: okie Re: Buck McNeely - 08/08/11
Originally Posted by bucktail
The shape he was in last time I saw his show, I'm not sure he could bend over, and that's been ~ 20 years ago.

There's no doubt that certain parts of his anatomy haven't been directly viewed by him without the aid of a mirror in the past two decades.. A fat putz physically and mentally. He is a very poor example of hunting etiquette...
© 24hourcampfire