Home
Posted By: let_me_in Televisions - 01/17/09
I just got a call from the Mrs. Seems the Granddaughters were rough housing a bit and broke the T.V. that's in the living room.

Here's the dilemma. In browsing Best Buy's site it's apparent that the choice lies between plasma and LCD. All of the sets are more rectangular than square.
Our T.V. sets in a custom, built-in entertainment center (it's part of the wall). If I recall the now broken set has a 36" or maybe 40" screen, but they used to be measured on the diagonal.
The new (rectangular) set would have to be tiny in order to fit into the entertainment center. Anybody know of sets that are of the older, diagonal proportions?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Televisions - 01/17/09
Seems to me that most, if not all, TV's are measured diagonally. My NEW LCD 37" HD TV is 37" diagonally.
Posted By: let_me_in Re: Televisions - 01/17/09
How wide is it?

I can get the Mrs to stretch a tape on the entertainment center.
Screen size, or the whole thing? Obviously screen width will be less (basic geometry A squared + B squared= C squared)

Screen is 32" along the horizontal axis, 35.5" total width.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Televisions - 01/17/09
I've remodeled/designed/Mcgyvered many new and existing entertainment centers to fit the aspect ratios of new HD tv's. A good cabinetmaker might be able to remodel what you've already got in the wall. Sometimes it just takes some creative thinking. But sometimes, it just won't work. Welcome to shelling out more dollars on top of what a new HD costs already.
Physical overall width.
Imagine a hole in a wall similar to a window opening, that's how the buit-in entertainment center is framed (flush with interior wall).
35.5" wide, 24.75" high with the pedestal
There is no chance of widening the entertainment center, I framed it to use the stairwell that is behind the wall. It's max width. frown
Got a solution for ya.. BTDT.
35.5" wide, 24.75" high with the pedestal

Thanx!

I'm gunna give her a call.

Brand and model if you don't mind?

It's going to be close.
Got a solution for ya.. BTDT.

Help me out, I don't know what BTDT means.
Nutz....no answer.

That woman lets no moss grow under the wheels I tell ya.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Televisions - 01/17/09
Been there, Done that

Advise her to go after the LCD's, they tend to last longer, Plasma's if the panel goes dead, it's time for a new one. Also, do you get cable or are you an over the air guy?
Been there, done that..

How much space do you have on the wall on either side of the Ent center?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Televisions - 01/17/09
Regardless a Tv's screen size, external cabinetry dimensions can vary noticeably between brands/models. You'll likely need to compare several to get the best fit/deal.
Also, do you get cable or are you an over the air guy?

High speed, digital, all that stuff. It's a package that we buy 'cause of the free long distance calling. Me being in TX, her in WI and liking to talk, it's a necessity.
Been there, done that..

On the wall, several feet both ways. In the wall, where the entertainment center is, zero.
Okay, just make sure the box they have you hooked up with is an HD box, other wise the picture will look blocky. If it is cable, they will probably have to bring you a box. I noticed a huge change when my Cheap ass went form the standard DTV box to the HD DTV box. Les
Posted By: Lumpia Re: Televisions - 01/17/09
Check Circuit City, they started their going out of business sale today IIRC.
Regardless a Tv's screen size, external cabinetry dimensions can vary noticeably between brands/models. You'll likely need to compare several to get the best fit/deal.

Yes sir, agreed.
I think I'll have to get more responses like Steelies, or take a tape measure to the store. Either way, I'll figure out what fits and what won't.
I'm no help. Mine is 52" It is a projection LCD
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Televisions - 01/17/09
How about getting a flat screen that is bigger than the hole, and just cover the hole with the new new flatscreen.
Check Circuit City, they started their going out of business sale today IIRC.

That is a great idea!

I think she'd have to drive to the Twin Cities though, Eau Claire, WI area doesn't have a Circuit City..could be wrong on that though.
How about getting a flat screen that is bigger than the hole, and just cover the hole with the new new flatscreen.

The entertainment center goes from about a foot off the floor to within a few inches of the ceiling. It holds the stereo, DVD, VCR, a speaker, storage for CD's and a clock or three. The living room "theme" is horses, I didn't get a vote either. laugh
The dimensions are listed for damn near every TV you can find on the web. Find one that matches your hole.
I'm no help. Mine is 52" It is a projection LCD

Capitalist pig! grin
The dimensions are listed for damn near every TV you can find on the web. Find one that matches your hole.

I can't get her to answer the phone!
Originally Posted by let_me_in
Been there, done that..

On the wall, several feet both ways. In the wall, where the entertainment center is, zero.

I'd love to see a picture of what you've got, but I think i know what it is..
My solution - frame and false back where the present unit goes. Move outlet and connections into false back. Allow enough depth for an articulating arm mount for a flat screen to mount. Peerless makes nice units - http://www.peerlessmounts.com/dyn/Products/BrowseProductsFlat.aspx/categoryId/195

Flat screen would then be against wall on both sides of present ent center when pushed back. Articulating arm allows you to pull flat screen away from wall to rotate if needed.

If you have doors presently, new doors would have to be made above and below new flat screen.

It would cost some money, but your present center can still be used with a little McGyver action. You can now buy just about any size flat screen to your budget's content. Some trim and nice work can make your new unit look like it was always there.

The hole will still be there tomorrow.
All the cable leads, 110 outlets etc are already hidden in the back of the entertainment center.

You might be on to something, although the TV wouldn't fit in the center, it wouldn't stick out into the room.

No doors, the entertainment center is like a furniture piece (red oak..mmmm), covering it with doors would make me cringe.
The hole will still be there tomorrow.

Three granddaughters and a niece are there, I'm not so sure, but get your point.
Originally Posted by let_me_in
All the cable leads, 110 outlets etc are already hidden in the back of the entertainment center.

You might be on to something, although the TV wouldn't fit in the center, it wouldn't stick out into the room.

No doors, the entertainment center is like a furniture piece (red oak..mmmm), covering it with doors would make me cringe.

No doors is good. I've done this exact fix on a house - flat screen and articulating arm mounted in existing hole. new unit was about 3 inches away from wall when pushed in. Turned out nice.
No doors is good. I've done this exact fix on a house - flat screen and articulating arm mounted in existing hole. new unit was about 3 inches away from wall when pushed in. Turned out nice.

Thanx!

Instead of losing screen size, I can be a Capitalist Pig too, and get a big un! grin
Go for it.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...;catalogId=13051&modelNo=TH-103PF9UK

I've installed one of these, too. Actually just helped move it onto the wall - myself and about four other guys. Into some capitalist pig's game room. grin
Sweet Jesus
That's what we were screaming when we lifted the damnn thing.
Nothing like a King size TV, at least you'll be able to find sheets for it.....
eek
U.S. List Price $69,995.00

I am a capitalist pig, but not that successful of a one.
Posted By: let_me_in Re: Televisions - 01/18/09
I finally got ahold of the Mrs, she had the tribe out sledding. cool

The entertainment centers opening measures right at 35". Steelie if someone swipes your new set, don't look at me. Your set is a half inch too wide.

Now I can start the search for a new set.
© 24hourcampfire