Home
Posted By: KCBighorn Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
What kind do you wear?
I got a 96 Harley Dyna Wide Glide last Spring. My friends who ride recommended a half helmet, and thats what I bought.
It works...but there have been times on the road when I would have paid $1000.00 for a full face helmet.

I've noticed trends (or styles) with the different bike groups.

It seems that Harley riders or the like wear half helmets most of the time. (those are usually the novelty helmets that are not DOT approved) A few full face mask and 3/4 helmets.

Sport bike groups usually wear full face helmets.

Dual Sport bikes (enduro's) usually wear a MX type helmet with visor.

Gold Wing's and the big cruisers seem to be mostly full face or half.

So what do you wear on your ride?
The highest cause of motorcycle fatalities come from head injury. Get the best skid lid you can afford and the more it covers the better.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
The highest cause of motorcycle fatalities come from head injury. Get the best skid lid you can afford and the more it covers the better.

Agreed.
What do you wear?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
When I cross over into Eastern Oregon I wear one I paid about ten dollars for at a MC rally about 15 years ago. It is the only MC helmet I ever wear. It has a DOT sticker I paid $1 for on the back. Never been stopped in 10's of thousands of miles in states that require one.
Funny, I wear a seat belt, did before they were law. I may die of a head injury some day but I absolutely refuse to ruin my riding experience with a darn lid on my head if I can help it, except a ball cap on backwards.
Bought my first MC in 1965 didn't wear a lid then, still don't', except on a dirt bike, or if I haveta.

Whatever you buy get one that fits prefect and is comfortable for hours on end, if that is possible, which I doubt. Don't cut corners has been advice given to me from long time riders.
Don't ride anymore. A near head on miss at 45 MPH cured me. Shoei!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

Agreed.
What do you wear?
Highest cause of MC fatalities is alcohol.

Remember if and when you crash that a heavy helmet can cause sever neck injury's up to and including paralysis. The safety Nazis never tell you that statistic.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I coughed for a Ducati Corse/Suomy for when I ride the 1098, but generally do not wear a helmet when motoring around on a Harley bagger. Probably should,as I have both full-face and 3/4 matching lids that I bought with the bike.

I expect Nurse Kat and others who work in emergency treatment facilities will check in here soon.

"Dress for the Crash, not for the Ride" --
I don't have a choice of whether or not to wear a helmet in Oregon. If I did have the option (I think...)I would still wear one.
I took a rider safety class TEAM OREGON (highly recommend it) I remember the instructor saying simply "if you wan't to protect all of your head buy a full face helmet, if you wan't to protect 3/4 of your head buy a full face helmet.
I bought a half. smile
I don't believe in mandatory helmet laws. But I believe that insurance companies and states should have the ability to say no helmet no medical on us.

Ride it like you want too.
I don't believe in mandatory helmet laws. But I believe that insurance companies and states should have the ability to say no helmet no medical on us.

Ride it like you want too.

Couldn't agree more
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
no helmet laws for the AK riders

but I don't ride, early life turned me against it, knew a pard that had suffered polio, had one gimp leg and one good one, ruined the good one laying the bike down, g'friend that lost a leg, lost a pard that was often the life of the party died when he was 20 and I was 19, we'd done a bunch together in that time dating back to grade school and mini bike riding.

but to each their own, am glad they let the riders decide here, as it should be though helmets are mandatory for the bitch seat.

freakin seat belt laws chaps my azz, I made it this long deciding when to wear it, I wasn't waiting for the nanny state to save me from myself!
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I have a Harley Softail. I use two helmets, one is a modular which is almost full face, and I have a half helmet for short trips on city streets.
Posted By: nemesis Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
A very close friend of mine (32 years old, married with a 9 year old son) was wearing one of those half helmets when he T boned some 86 year old dufus with his Harley.

The old dude pulled right out in front of him as my friend was down shifting to turn a corner at an intersection.

By the skid marks, the cops extimated he was going about 28 MPH when he hit the car.

At impact, he lost his grip on the bike and was thrown over the hood, with his helmet flying off in the process.

His head struck the road causing a deep brain injury which he eventually died from a few days later.

There is no question in my mind that he would have survived if he was wearing a full face helmet.

Like others here, I agree that people should be allowed to wear whatever type of helmet they want, or none at all if that's what they prefer.

It just gets hard for me sometimes when I see my friends young widow and little boy trying to cope without him and think that a little thing like the choice of a helmet could have prevented it all.

Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Sorry about your friend. Not to belittle your friends death, i refer to the 1/2 helmets as organ donor helmets. Seen too many DOA's involving low speed crashes or runoff's, that the rider or passenger, would of lived had it been for the use of a better helmet.

To those who wear a 1/2 helmet, please mark & sign the back of your DL indicating organ donor. If your going to hang your ass out there, at least give someone else a chance to a better life.
Posted By: bender Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Full face - I did sell the bike 2 years ago, when I got the Goat. When I rode, I rode a lot, usually pretty fast, and pretty far (even when I got the Harley). No helmet at 90 MPH is just ridiculous. The full face style also cut wind noise a lot. Though it is (for some reason) illegal to wear earplugs in my state, I often wore them, especially on long trips. You actually hear better with them, because of reduced wind noise. Can't imagine a stormin' 12 hour ride with no helmet! But... I don't agree with MANDATORY helmet laws.
Posted By: ADK4Rick Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I have both a full face and a 3/4.
I know I'm better off with the full face but I just can't breathe in the darn thing and getting it on and getting my glasses on is like a magic trick,so I ride with the 3/4
Full face helmet, 1200cc sport bike, and full leathers even in July. ATGATT. The look on peoples faces when the helmet comes off and reveals a 56 y/o with gray hair and beard is priceless.

I remember reading that the most common point of first impact with the ground is the right jaw followed by the left.

My wife was run off the road on a curve by a gawker about ten year back. I knew she was OK when I heard her screaming obscenities even though neither of us had removed our helmets. It wasn't until later that we noticed she had bent a reflector pole with her chin bar during the dismount.

We're both in the medical profession and have seen what happens to people wearing beanies, tank tops, and flip flops. It ain't pretty. The idea that half helmets are actually safer is right up there with "loud pipes save lives" at the top of the BS scale.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Idaho has no helmet law for riders over 18. Some guys like to wear one on the road but they take them off for slow speed riding in town. Thats backwards. Dump one at 60 and likely you're dead, helmet or not. A helmet is invaluable at slow speeds where you're much more likely to survive other injuries but your head still hits the pavement.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I got a 96 Harley Dyna Wide Glide last Spring. My friends who ride recommended a half helmet, and thats what I bought.
It works...but there have been times on the road when I would have paid $1000.00 for a full face helmet.
Why? No windshield? If not, buy one.. If you don't want one, ensure you wear goggles..

It seems that Harley riders or the like wear half helmets most of the time.
Humpf.. Not around here. I rarely see an HD rider with a helmet.. Maybe your state has helmet laws which would then make sense.. We don't have no stinkin' helmet laws here (YET)...

Sport bike groups usually wear full face helmets.

Dual Sport bikes (enduro's) usually wear a MX type helmet with visor.
As they should.. Most these youngsters on crotch rockets have egos bigger than their engines - NEVER a good combination..

Gold Wing's and the big cruisers seem to be mostly full face or half.
No comment.. laugh

So what do you wear on your ride?
None, unless I'm inside the Murderapolis/St. Paul beltway - and I try to avoid that like I avoid hissing Cobras.. I don't drive at night except maybe once/year.. The rest of the time I drive in such a way as to not need a helmet. Trust nothing. Trust no one. Practice escape routes at all times. Stay within your limits. Practice the one-second-rule. Always assume the worst...

Now, I'm betting the reactions to my post will be interesting, to say the least...

BTW, I'm starting my 42nd year on motorcycles.. No accidents, no laydowns, no nuthin'... It's called, 'paying attention'..
Posted By: bender Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Full face helmet, 1200cc sport bike, and full leathers even in July. ATGATT. The look on peoples faces when the helmet comes off and reveals a 56 y/o with gray hair and beard is priceless.

I remember reading that the most common point of first impact with the ground is the right jaw followed by the left.

My wife was run off the road on a curve by a gawker about ten year back. I knew she was OK when I heard her screaming obscenities even though neither of us had removed our helmets. It wasn't until later that we noticed she had bent a reflector pole with her chin bar during the dismount.

We're both in the medical profession and have seen what happens to people wearing beanies, tank tops, and flip flops. It ain't pretty. The idea that half helmets are actually safer is right up there with "loud pipes save lives" at the top of the BS scale.
Sad to say, but you are absolutely right about the b.s. The outlaws (and the wannabees) aren't fooling anybody. Helmets inhibit vision (tell that to a guy coming into a 180 mph corner at Daytona, or at the Isle of Man) loud pipes save lives, can't hear with a helmet - there are probably more - are all complete and utter b.s. Just come out and say you don't want to wear a helmet, whatever your reason, but don't insult our intelligence.
I've found that helmets are great for crashing, but nothing does better for your own level of alertness/awareness than not having that thing on your head.

I wear a helmet occasionally, I keep wanting to wear one, keep giving it a try.

In reality, (not just talking on the internet but being out & doing it) the damn helmet can & will plow your head around like you are wearing an airplane wing on your head (which can be very distracting).

I understand but respectfully disagree with the �dress for the crash� theory.

What crash? The one that you can�t see coming because your peripheral vision is blinded by the bucket you are wearing on your head & you are distracted by the fluctuating forces of wind that are pushing your head around as you try to drive?

Until I find a helmet that doesn�t absolutely pizz me off & compromise my awareness with it�s distracting side effects, I�ll choose un-blinded, unregulated awareness over the bucket.

Alert driving, awareness & sharp senses applied towards prevention.

If I can have that plus the safety of a hard shell around my noggin then I�ll take it, but I haven�t found that I can have both as of yet.

Leg protection in the way of chaps or riding pants do not distract me, good boots don�t distract me, a good jacket & gloves to not distract me, so I wear all that stuff.

Just haven�t found a helmet that doesn�t compromise my awareness.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I used to ride without a helmet because of the "rebel without a clue" mentality. Now I wear one to hide my gray hair. grin

I have a buddy who crashed when drunk and did some serious brain damage to himself.

I have a full coverage that restricts my vision a little bit so I would rather wear the 3/4 helmet. My buddy says the full face is the way to go if you value your jaw at all.

My father is dying of cancer and if I had the choice I would rather die from a motorcycle accident!

By the way I have heard that dropping the helmet means they are used up. My wife drops our helmets every time she handles them (almost) crazy

Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.
whelennut
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Just haven�t found a helmet that doesn�t compromise my awareness.
Exactly.
Originally Posted by bender
Helmets inhibit vision (tell that to a guy coming into a 180 mph corner at Daytona, or at the Isle of Man)
Think of that a minute - the racers (1) know the race course intimately and (2) don't have to worry about idiots in cars on the racetrack.
loud pipes save lives,
Well, maybe, maybe not. But I'm sure you've read where people have been hit by electric cars because the pedestrian COULDN'T HEAR IT COMING..
can't hear with a helmet
Finish it: ..can't hear AS WELL with one on. Very true..
there are probably more - are all complete and utter b.s.
Which is bs in itself..
Just come out and say you don't want to wear a helmet, whatever your reason,
That's me.. I don't wanna wear a helmet, and I'll just come out and say it..
but don't insult our intelligence.
No comment.. laugh laugh
Posted By: Wildlife Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Originally Posted by 700LH

Agreed.
What do you wear?
Highest cause of MC fatalities is alcohol.

Remember if and when you crash that a heavy helmet can cause sever neck injury's up to and including paralysis. The safety Nazis never tell you that statistic.

I can see both sides of the argument. 40 years ago just out of high school I broadsided a drunk making a left turn across my lane. I have no recollection of the wreck, but I must have laid my 305 Scrambler down just before impact. Woke up a week later in the hospital with a broken right wrist and ankle and egg shell fractures to the left side of my skull, the side that hit the pavement I think. I still have 3 nickel size soft spots where the neurosurgeon removed bone to relieve pressure. Nearly died so they say. The point of this is that the neurosurgeon testified in court that in his opinion had I been wearing a helmet the force of impact would probably have broken my neck. At that time Louisiana didn't have a helmet law.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
All the guys who work in our emergency dept just love people who ride without a helmet! If the rider's not DOA they make a fortune on them! They help keep my hospital solvent! You guys can ride however you wish, that's your choice but I'd rather see you on the road than in my ER! Ride smart and ride safe!
Posted By: Live Oak Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I ride a Yamaha Stratoliner. Got back into riding about a year ago, and made the decision to wear full protective gear (boots, armored gloves, armored jacket, and a full-face helmet) - no exceptions. I figure to some degree that it is what you get used to, and if I started off with all of the gear I wouldn't feel like I was missing any of the riding experience if I had started wearing no gear and then tried to make the switch back. The helmet is an HJC AC-12 that I really like, and don't feel it compromises my vision at all. I wear contacts, so the visor keeps too much wind from drying out and irritating my eyes on extended rides. I wear an armored leather jacket as much of the year as I can stand, but when it gets a little warm here in Central Texas (100+ degrees)I have an armored mesh jacket that I swap out with. I have a couple of riding buddies that think I'm nuts wearing the gear in the heat, but one case of road rash or worse and wearing the gear may be one of the smartest decisions I made that day... YMMV.
uhh-huh.

Race car drivers are on a closed course with like minded drivers all working with a common goal.

Nobody is texting on the track, nobody is doing there make up in the rear view mirror, nobody is drunk or stoned, nobody is late for work, nobody is falling asleep at the wheel & all the traffic is going the same way.

Fire suit, full body harness, full helmet, hanns device, neck support etc, etc.

That is exactly how I would want to be rigged on a closed course race track with other drivers.

Now rig yourself the same way & take your kids to school or run across town for groceries.

First thing, back out of the driveway.. "chitte, I can't turn my head... well, I have a lot of mirrors & I can still move my eyes.."

Yep, and the rest of the daily drive is even better, nothing can be planned for, it's unscripted real life. Don't know who's going to run a stop sign or drift into your lane.. have fun parking that car at the grocery store, if you get there.

But you are certainly ready for the crash. grin

If a passenger rides with me do they wear a helmet? You damn right. Passenger's helmet does not effect the alert awareness of the bike, so put a good helmet on a passenger.

and if i find one that doesn't compromise my own effective awareness then I'll be wearing it.

Posted By: zxc Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I ride a Harley Electra Glide, been riding since 1974. Agood helmet will save you grief thats for sure, however, most deaths are caused by breaking a bone thus severing a major artery, you bleed out in minutes.A motorcycle helmet is tested at 13 mph, this is dropping things on it, checking for penetration, this is generally the speed your head is going when you fall from standing directly to the floor, 9.81 m/s2 . A full face helmet can be more comfortable depending on the wheather and offer some face protection , gives a false sense of security but will not be the differance between life or death in most cases. I wear a Seer 1/2 helmet DOT approved and is the same as most motor cops wear. The best protection is to stay alert of your surroundings, loud pipes do make your presence known just like you know a cement truck is beside you as opposed to a Honda Accord or worse a mommy in a mini van with 1/2 dozen ditractions on board. And the best reason not to do something is knowing a friend that has died from that activity, if this was so there are alot of things I would not do firearms and motorcycles are but two!
I think motorcycle helmets are a great invention, I own a few. They're nothing special, I don't know the brand and don't feel like walking out to the garage to look. I wear one sometimes. I always wore one when I used to race dirt bikes, it's required and a good idea. I don't like required helmets (or seat belts) as a law though (except for minors). We had that law in Wyoming for a while, but it got repealed. You can ride a bull, jump out of an airplane, or climb a mountain without a helmet (although wearing one might be a good idea). It's my head, and I should be responsible for protecting it, not the gov't. The libs think we're not smart enough to take care of ourselves, that's why they're afraid of us owning guns too. Those trigger lock thingies were also a pretty good invention, and in theory may have saved a life or two, but I don't want any laws that make them mandatory either.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I wear a pair of wrap around sunglasses,...foam earplugs too if I'm going to be on the interstate for any length of time.

They repealed the helmet law in this state several years ago
i always forget the earplugs.

but if you don't trim them super short I find (for me) they just deliver a bunch of wind noise through the plug like the old string & 2 tin cans trick. grin

Posted By: 340boy Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Out of the helmets I have worn(Arai,AGV, Shoei) Arai's are the best by far, IMO.
The fit and finish is superb, they also hold up very well.
They are also probably the most expensive, but worth it, IMO.
You get what you pay for.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Why? No windshield? If not, buy one.. If you don't want one, ensure you wear goggles..

It seems that Harley riders or the like wear half helmets most of the time.
Humpf.. Not around here. I rarely see an HD rider with a helmet.. Maybe your state has helmet laws which would then make sense.. We don't have no stinkin' helmet laws here (YET)...

Yes my State (Oregon) has a mandatory helmet law. Even if it didn't I think I would still wear a helmet.
I do have a detachable windshield. It is a "must have" for myself on long trips.
I wear goggles too though smile

Do you gentlemen that prefer no helmet find that a half helmet keeps you from being able to see or react as fast as no helmet? I can agree that a full face helmet can get in the way, all a person has to do is try one on in a shop and try to walk around without knocking anything over! But I don't find any impairment with a half helmet except when going pretty fast. Then it can act like an airplane wing as someone already said. smile
get what you pay for is usually the case with everything.

i'll give the helmet search another run this season, i'm easily frustrated though.

I know i've about given up on half helmets. I bought a daytona skull cap last year, from my research it was the smallest fitting helmet made to still earn an actual DOT sticker on the back. The halfies that are DOT are typically a BIG mushroom cap, they look dumb as hell & catch all kinds of air & often times end up acting like a parachute strapped to your chin, not cool.

My daytona is better in that regard but it still bugs the hell out of me, plus I believe it's about pointless as a safety device. I personally don't consider it a real helmet. I rarely wear it, when i do I regret it instantly.

I'll check out the Arai brand. Never heard of it.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
I wear a pair of wrap around sunglasses,...foam earplugs too if I'm going to be on the interstate for any length of time.

They repealed the helmet law in this state several years ago

The only good thing a helmet provides is protection against inclement weather. Rideing a bike with one is like showering with a raincoat on.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I don't buy the argument that a properly fitting helmet is hard to see from/flaps your head around/etc. My experience with an Arai full face helmet is that it significantly enhanced my riding experience compared to a half face helmet with face shield or no helmet. I could see better with the face shield blocking all debris and wind and the helmet was stable and provided less annoying wind buffeting than no helmet at all.

In addition, I don�t buy the specious argument that they are dangerous due to the above factors or the added weight on the head. Those who claim helmets flap and squirm have probably not worn a properly fitting helmet. MC racers all wear full face helmets; I doubt they would do it if they were dangerous.

The bottom line is helmet use will save many more lives than it will take. In addition, just because you 'pay attention' and haven't crashed yet doesn't mean it is due to your superior skill. Yes, many wrecks are avoidable, but some truly are not. My MC safety instructor said that if you ride a bike long enough, you will die on it. The laws of probability dictate it to be a truism (of course it is an equally valid statement if applied to driving cars, crossing the street, taking baths, eating, etc). His job was to teach the skills needed to hopefully push that date far enough in the future that something else gets you first (like old age). Unfortunately, just like in life, they don�t always come in statistical order.

I am opposed to helmet laws. I am opposed to seatbelt laws. I wear helmets and seatbelts not because some bureaucrat told me to, but because I want to for their significant safety benefits. I respect and defend anyone�s choice of no helmet. I understand the freedom and enhanced experience that some claim they get by riding without one. That is a perfectly valid reason to go without a helmet. �The pleasure I derive outweighs the risk I subject myself to.� The same argument could be put forth regarding riding altogether, even with ATGATT. But I disagree with defending the choice via false logic or misinformation. One should base a decision on facts, and not search for �facts� to support their decision.

Edit, the above are my thoughts to the group, and are not directed at Northern Dave or any other member in particular.
Originally Posted by 340boy
Out of the helmets I have worn(Arai,AGV, Shoei) Arai's are the best by far, IMO.

under Arai website the Corsair-V caught my eye. What I was looking for was the widest field of view. They call it the "eye port"

that's a big reason why I bitch about the helmets, feels like you have side blinders on.

I'd like to look at one of those in person some time.

Got my first bike in 1967 and didn't own a helmet until forced to by new state law. I now live in Texas where we are free to choose. After working for the Air Force for 34 years and forced to wear a helmet on base it feels really unnatural to ride without so, I most often use a 3/4 model. Wife is an RN so you know what her opinion on the matter is.

I am for the freedom to choose as in Texas. We must be willing to accept responsibility for what we do just as a sky diver, tree stand hunter or someone crossing a road on foot, etc., etc.

Studies often contradict each other. One says to use only Snell approved because that's the higest standard. Others say use only DOT approved because Snell ratings are for high speed racing crashes and not low speed normal driving.

Who the heck knows what will happen? I know of a guy who fell over on his bike in his driveway smacked his head and died! Engine wasn't even running! Should we wear helmets at all times? I say wear them in the shower as falls at home are the most common injury... Not!
Stuff happens! We can't legislate a life free from injury and death.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
When I started out, I didn't wear a helmet. One day I turned to say something to my friend and a beetle flew into my ear. His subsequent attempts to carve his intitials into my eardrum convinced me to wear a helmet to keep those of his ilk out of my auditory canal and I acquired a Buco International. A later incident at highway speed ended with a large black smear on the white helmet and a face shield that looked like it had traveled some distance in direct contact with the pavement (which it had). The Buco was retired with my thanks and replaced with a Bell Star (the original with the narrow opening rather than the later one with the huge hole for those who didn't want to turn their head to keep track of things). Then I got married and sold the bike to help pay for the house.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by 340boy

under Arai website the Corsair-V caught my eye. What I was looking for was the widest field of view. They call it the "eye port"

that's a big reason why I bitch about the helmets, feels like you have side blinders on.

I'd like to look at one of those in person some time.

Dave,
I have worn Arai's exclusively for so many years, I can't remember how they compared with the others as far as the field of vision.
I can say that they are super comfortable on long rides or for road racing.
I did a 4 hour endurance race(several) that were held in quite warm conditions- a guy gets very sweaty and tired, but the Arai was still pretty darn comfortable.
I'm at the point where if I'm going to wear a helmet, i'm going all the way. Meaning I'm going to wear a real helmet, full face, not a costume helmet like the daytona I ordered last summer.

We don't have a hemet law in MN, so if I wear one it isn't going to be one that's "just enough to keep Jonny law off my back". It's going to be a good one because my reasons will be for protection, not for apeasing the law.

If I get into a decent sized bike shop soon I'll look for the arai line.

That Corsair-V caught my eye right away with it's wide "eye port"

looks to be about $600 so I'd definately have to try one on & see what I think.

thanks

Posted By: JessG Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
After working in a motorcycle shop all of my life and seeing many bikes come in after being wrecked and the owners not being so fortunate, I always were a helmet. I've been trhough them all, and now all I own is Arai. If you want an Arai, make sure you try on the different models they offer, as the different models are made to fit different shapes of heads. Getting a helmet that fits correctly makes all the difference.

Jess G

Yes my State (Oregon) has a mandatory helmet law. Even if it didn't I think I would still wear a helmet.
I do have a detachable windshield. It is a "must have" for myself on long trips.
I wear goggles too though smile
Good job!!

Do you gentlemen that prefer no helmet find that a half helmet keeps you from being able to see or react as fast as no helmet? I can agree that a full face helmet can get in the way, all a person has to do is try one on in a shop and try to walk around without knocking anything over! But I don't find any impairment with a half helmet except when going pretty fast. Then it can act like an airplane wing as someone already said. smile
I tried a half-helmet once. The operative word there is, 'once'.. Like having a parachute tied to your neck.. Nearly strangled myself.. THAT was the end of THAT.... What a pos...

Yeah, TAX HELL WISCONSIN used to have a helmet law. They finally repealed that stupid-azzed law but I don't remember when.. Best guess is about '70 IIRC.. Obviously, we had helmets along when we were touring other states; many had helmet laws and depending on the circumstances (like I294 around Chicago) they felt truly necessary.. What a thrill ride THAT was; trying to navigate 8 lanes with a thousand semis all going 80+.... But I digress..

All I can say is, if you wanna wear one - gopherit.. If not- gopherit. But now we have this miserable state trying to enact seat belt laws as a primary stop.. KEEP GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY FREAKIN' LIFE!!! LET ME CHOOSE....... If I have to I'll manufacture a fake seatbelt segment and velcro it to my shirt so it LOOKS like I have one on...

I'm REALLY beginning to HATE this state...
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
All the guys who work in our emergency dept just love people who ride without a helmet! If the rider's not DOA they make a fortune on them! They help keep my hospital solvent! You guys can ride however you wish, that's your choice but I'd rather see you on the road than in my ER! Ride smart and ride safe!
I know, I know..

But right next to my pc here in the shop are two newspaper articles regarding motorcycle accidents.. One couple crashed; neither were wearing helmets - both had scrapes/broken bones but were going to be ok.. Second article - another crash, driver didn't pay attention and drove off the road. Both he and his passenger wore helmets. Both dead on impact..

You pays your money and you takes your chances...
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I will not get on a bike without my fullface helmet. I think your crazy to ride without a helmet. But, its not the government's business, it should be your CHOICE!
jet pilot type with full screen.
the older i get, the more i value what's left inside my head.
i don't heal as fast nowadays, either.
i also wear an armored jacket, even in boiling weather. the mesh ones are fine in summer. i'll be buying riding pants, too, this summer. road rash is NOT my friend...
Road rash is awful!
I have had a couple pretty good cases falling of the road bicycle at 20-25 mph.
Ugly...
sick
I wear a half-face helmet when I ride, but don't believe it should be mandatory. You're only going to hurt yourself by not wearing one. Unlike mandatory seatbelt laws, which could actually save the lives of others in and around your vehicle.
and i'll upgrade to a helmet with chin bar when i find one that fits without binding my glasses and sunglasses.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
This is the only helmet I can wear, and the wife makes sure I have it on before I get on the bus. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DARBY Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Reynolds Wrap or generic brand - ?????
Full face when I'm riding with a capital R; open face full when bopping around town on errands and whatnot.
Posted By: isaac Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Originally Posted by husqvarna
I will not get on a bike without my fullface helmet. I think your crazy to ride without a helmet. But, its not the government's business, it should be your CHOICE!

Agreed. But, it should also be the insurance company's right to deny you coverage if you sustain injuries to your body which could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.
Yep.
I think you nailed it, Isaac.
Posted By: burner Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
I always wanted to ride, but I knew a couple of people who got messed up doing it, so that's always cured my desire to buy a cycle when it arises...

I'm not as afraid of crashing the bike, as I am of the other idiots on the road -- the ones in cars, yapping on cell phones, failing to signal, etc.

Here in PA we just got rid of the mandatory helmet law a couple of years ago. What ticks me off, is that we have a mandatory seatbelt law, which IS a primary offense now IIRC -- meaning they can pull you over for no other reason than not wearing a seatbelt.

Don't understand that one at all.
I commented before reading ND's comments.
If your helmet is being blown around, that's because your fairing stinks, or your lid wasn't fitted properly. Too loose, sounds like. Some helmets have different shapes just like some shoes are lasted different. AND you can pad up most helmets these days for a custom fit.
As for peripheral vision being unduly restricted, that is completely not true. I've never worn a helmet that I could ever "see" where it matters, on the SIDES where peripheral "attacks" come from. The only restriction is above, but that's no worse, and in fact is as useful as a ball cap in shading your eyes at certain times of day.
Nobody's ever tried to hit me with a refrigerator, but they sure as heck have tried to attack me with Cadillacs on down. And the one time I WAS attacked from above, the bird died, not me.
Furthermore, a good skid lid keeps the wind, and the TEARS, and the BUGS away from your eyes, which helps you SEE. That's why I saw that *$^#(%*& bird coming and had a chance to spike him with my helmet.
Finally, as for chaps, they are not protection at all. If you ever fall and go boom, it is your BUTT (and your knees) that takes the most punishment. That's the way our body folds up and flops around, trust me on this. The only thing chaps do is splatter bugs, if you are going to wear leather that matters, not just to be cool, you need the whole works.
And what flops around the most when you go boom? Your HEAD.
Sorry, ND, but I just have to wave the bovine flag on this. Go get a decent open-face and good goggles from a dealer that will take the time to fit you properly.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/28/09
Originally Posted by isaac

Agreed. But, it should also be the insurance company's right to deny you coverage if you sustain injuries to your body which could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.

Yep.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/29/09
I say wear (or don't) what you want, just don't expect any medical coverage when you crash without one. I went for a ride yesterday on my buddy's bike and didn't wear a helmet. Not necessarily a smart thing but, whatever. However, when I was riding my bud's Yamaha R6, I did the whole gloves, helmet, jacket, etc. Also rode my friend's '06 YZ 250 dirt bike, and that thing just riding in the yard put more fear in me than any motorcycle I've been on yet, other than maybe the R6. I'd say get full riding gear for dirt bikes, as well.

If/when I do get my own bike, I'll definitely be wearing as much protective gear as I can comfortably. It was 90 degrees yesterday, and I was dying in a cutoff and jeans. I can't imagine wearing chaps and a jacket, it would've been miserable.
A few years back we went to the drags one weekend. The guy won his class in eliminator on a cycle. He had just went through the traps at 135 MPH don't remember the ET. Then as he cleared the clocks he lost it. He looked like a rag doll flopping down the asphalt. Well you've never seen any better response by emergency teams. After a very long 10 minutes he got up and walked into the Aid van. It made me a real believer that someone wearing good protective gear could walk away from that. He was released from the hospital 3 hours later. Wear it all you go around only once.
Posted By: remfak Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/29/09
Half helmets are NOT the issue!!! The issue(s) corresponding to half-helmets are two-fold:

1. Riders NOT using DOT approved helmets. Far too many of the half helmets you see out there are cheap-o pieces of crap and/or "novelty" helmets. Those are typically worn because of helmet laws. Stupidly, the laws allow for these garbage helmets to be sold/used.
2. Improper sizing and/or strapping. A helmet of proper size and one that is strapped correctly will not come off in a wreck, particularly a low speed wreck!

I have been riding bikes for over 20 years and have used every variety mentioned here (always DOT approved, properly sized, and properly strapped). If you do those three things, you are much better off. For each of those three criteria you fail to do, your risk goes up exponentially!

I was in a bad solo high speed highway wreck one year ago. I hit the deck hard, at 75mph, after a tank slapper (wheel wobble). I was wearing a half-helmet that was DOT approved, properly sized, and properly strapped. I sustained no head injury at all, and the helmet did not come off even after tumbling and rolling down the highway.

Be smart with the helmet (see above) regardless of type. Wear pants, a leather jacket, gloves, and riding boots. I was, and I walked away with some scrapes, a broken finger, and a torn rotator cuff. Everything I had on protected me from near certain death!
Posted By: tominboise Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/29/09
I wear an Arai XD, which is a full face helment with a visor. The visor is handy to block the sun under certain conditions. I also wear a semi-armored jacket, overpants, boots and MC specific gloves. I ride both a dual sport on and off pavement, and a "naked" sport bike. When I ride off road with my kids, I wear a MX helment, goggles, armored chest protector, elbow pads, mx pants and tall MX boots. I like protection...I don't think it should be the law. To each his own.

I have scraped up a harley rider who was dead, killed in front of me when he high sided into a guard rail, flipped over the top of the bike and face planted into the asphalt. I was coming the opposite way in the car with my family. I can't say whether he would have lived or not, but I do know his face hit the asphalt. I'm pretty sure he was enjoying the freedom of vision no helmet provides, right up until he hit the ground.

I have also face planted (into dirt, off an MX bike) at probably 20 mph, wearing a helmet. No injury, thank God, but enough blast to convince me it's a good idea.....
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I commented before reading ND's comments.
If your helmet is being blown around, that's because your fairing stinks, or your lid wasn't fitted properly.

fairing? you must have me mistaken for someone else. grin

As for peripheral vision being unduly restricted, that is completely not true. I've never worn a helmet that I could ever "see" where it matters, on the SIDES where peripheral "attacks" come from. The only restriction is above

Completely not true? You were so convincing that I actually went to my various helmets & tried a few on. The least offensive helmet I own in the way of vision impairment is a bell motocross full faced helmet that has open view from temple to temple. I checked it out. I can touch my temples with the helmet on my head. So I held my head still & took note of the boundaries of my peripheral vision which were clearly defined by the outline of the helmet on my head. I removed my helmet without moving my head & once again took note of my peripheral vision... There is no contest, a helmet even the widest viewing port does choke your vision.

our argument seems to be in what "matters". I like all of my vision, even that unpopular, underappreciated peripheral vision.

Nobody's ever tried to hit me with a refrigerator

I�m not sure what this means but we do have this in common. We should start a club. grin

Furthermore, a good skid lid keeps the wind, and the TEARS, and the BUGS away from your eyes, which helps you SEE. That's why I saw that *$^#(%*& bird coming and had a chance to spike him with my helmet.

"skid lid" is actually a nick name specific to the halfies & novelty helmets that are pretty much just for looks. Some of which can be purchased with novelty spikes on top.

I've hit birds with my chest & legs but have yet to spike one with a skid lid.

Finally, as for chaps, they are not protection at all.

I was pretty sure they have saved my knees a couple times but i am obviously mistaken.

If you ever fall and go boom, it is your BUTT (and your knees) that takes the most punishment. That's the way our body folds up and flops around, trust me on this. The only thing chaps do is splatter bugs, if you are going to wear leather that matters, not just to be cool, you need the whole works.

I'm assuming this would be a thick heavy leather ass guard & a pair of knee pads?

I'm really having a hard time being your whipping boy if you hadn't noticed by now...

You might note that I referred to chaps OR riding pants (pants being my preference) I prefer the full pants with side zips that go on & come off fast like chaps do but cover you from your waist band to your ankles.(like chaps don�t) But thanks for assuming I prefer assless chaps in order to look cool, that's neat.

And what flops around the most when you go boom? Your HEAD.
Sorry, ND, but I just have to wave the bovine flag on this. Go get a decent open-face and good goggles from a dealer that will take the time to fit you properly.

If you read all of my posts then you would see that I am interested in finding the right helmet for me. You would also see that my reasons for doing so are for safety, not for novelty or for appeasing helmet laws (which I do not have)

My comments about helmets bullying your head around in wind are to do with half helmet experiences, the parachute hanging off your chin.

Skinner, I value your opinions & experiences. But I just can't be your whipping boy. You have an argument with somebody, you used my name but your argument is not with me.

Don't thump the safety bible at me with a sig line like:

Up hills slow, Down hills fast Tonnage first and Safety last.

Posted By: dave7mm Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/29/09
Originally Posted by Furprick
I ride a Harley Electra Glide I wear a Seer 1/2 helmet DOT approved and is the same as most motor cops wear.

Super Seer cop helmet.Me too.
[Linked Image].
Traded it for a Road Glide.Kept the helmet.
dave
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/29/09
In 1963 i was in heavy traffic when an illegal immigrant backed out in front of me. This resulted in severing my leg, crushing my ankle which is hurting like a son of a gun as I write this, breaking the right front bone, and the rear bone in two places.
I went through the air hitting the pavement and road rashed my face and cracking my skull. I then tried to stand up and pushed my ankle up where my knee normally would be. Saved the leg and six weeks in the hospital and a year in a cast and I walked again.
The helmet would have saved some of the injury. I now ride a gold wing and have armored clothing, and a half, 3/4, and full helmet. The helmet goes on when I get on the bike.
I don't care how good you are, things happen. Gold wings have a little smaller front tire than the rear, and at speed are a delight. At slow speeds they are pigs and if they decide to tilt you are not going to stop them. Last year with my wife on the back and only going a few miles an hour, i got my front tire in a rut and it tilted and we went down. My wife rolled off as she had been taught to get away from the bike, and i went down with it. I remember my head hitting the pavement quite hard.
That helmet again saved my a trip to the hospital.
I believe in personal freedom too, but that does not give the individual the right to pass along that cost to everybody else, either those having to pay higher insurance premiums, or to those who one way another have to pay the hospital costs for stupidity. There are a gillion helmets out there, just have to find the one that fits right which means going to a helmet store, and generally spending a copius amount of money.
It is 100% that if you ride a m/c long enough, you will have an accident. I have also laid a bike down at over 75mph and walked away from it, although i was a lot younger then. Blown tire.
Which is another reason I just spent about 1000dollars on a tuneup for the bike, getting two new tires, brakes, etc including new front bearings to counter that 35mph wobble wings get. Tires are a partiular bugger for me, they are meant to be round and soft on a bike. Time and heat changes both of those items and they need to be changed out. It is imazing some times the conditions of tires I see on bikes. You need all the protection you can get. There are stories on the net from guys dropping wings at over 100mph with protective gear that walk away from it.
I would be dead if I had not had a full face helmet on 30 years ago.As it was I suffered 4 days in a coma even with the helmet on.I will not ride with out one and have been riding 33 years now.
This is what I wear now:
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Redneck Re: Motorcycle helmets..... - 04/29/09
Originally Posted by isaac

hmmm, so, should they deny you any accidental injury coverage if you smoke (fall asleep w/lit butt, burn down house and you get burned as a result)? If you are overweight (fall, break bones)? If you're a pilot (oops, missed the runway)? If you climb mountains for recreation (dang piton fails, breaks bones)? If you fall overboard w/o a life jacket on (run over by boat)? If you get injured in a car accident and was not wearing seat belt?? Etc., etc., etc.,???

Insurance companies should NOT dictate every single thing in your life (and yes, I know that in some circumstances they do now anyway)..

Anyhoo.... I knew from the start this thread was going to pit those who do with those who don't against each other in nasty ways... All I can say is: if you wanna wear one - great. If you don't wanna wear one - great..

It should be left as a personal choice, period.. Keep the damned government OUT of our lives, not to mention the 'pressures' from insurance companies etc..

Last reply. I promise...
Maybe that would explain why they already charge us more to insure a motorcycle. Maybe they could add on more charge and cover you without a helmet. You can buy rodeo insurance, it costs bull riders the most -- I've had it. I think with motorcycles, it's already been calculated by the percent of injurys that occur and what it costs to cover them and what to charge us for it, and they double or triple it. I can't say for sure, I'm not a lawyer, all I've ever done is pay for insurance, never collected a dime.

It all makes as much sense as home owners flood insurance for people in places like New Orleans, then adjusting the rates on our houses when they have to pay for it, even though I live 1000 miles away and 5000+ feet above the sea.

For the most part I agree, I almost always wear a helmet out on the highway, the part I don't like is the county dirt roads out around the farm. You might see one or two cars a day go by, my luck it'd be the sheriff, and I'd get a ticket for crossing the county road, or cruising up it a mile or two, to check out the windmills over there with a ball cap on.

Common sense should be your responsibility, they can't make a law that entails it.
© 24hourcampfire