Home
It's nothing fancy. Not a custom job, or anything. It's a plain Jane Gerber lightweight lock blade. I've had it on me almost literally every day for nearly the last 25 years now. I had no idea when I bought it back then that it would come in so handy on nearly a daily basis. Hardly a day goes by, in fact, when I don't use it on one cutting task or other, and it's as sharp today as the day I bought it. Still mechanically 100%, too. Nine times out of ten, when it occasionally loses some cutting power, all it needs is a few swipes on a steel. When that will no longer quite do the trick, it just takes a few strokes on an oil stone to bring it back to razor sharpness. Truly an amazing thing. Quite possibly my most useful acquisition to date.

[Linked Image]
I have an almost identical copy by CRKT. Maybe you ain't all bad! smile

CRKT Wrangler:

[Linked Image]

It looses scale in that pic, but a handy darn thing.
Posted By: T LEE Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/04/09
Great knives, I have the wood handled version.
Posted By: EWY Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/04/09
The key chain knives are very handy, even if a larger knife is also carried. I got one for my wife and it is the first knife she has had that is always with her.

Ernie
cold steel ty lite. i've had this one 5yrs my second.all most time for a new one. its lost about 3/16 in length from shrapening [Linked Image]
I used to have a Gerber a lot like TRH's on a key chain.
I need to get another one of those...
I have a similar little Gerber that is my main gutting knife. It's very small. I've done a dozen or so deer with it, and a couple elk- the interior part of the gutting, I mean. The guts.

I bought a Benchmade about a month ago that I am quite enamored of, on sort of a bang-for-buck ratio thing. It's called the "Vex". It's made in China. The damn thing is SOLID. Keeps and takes an edge well. Best $40 I've spent in a while:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeoW Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/04/09
I go in another direction..

[Linked Image]

g
Gol-dang, but that's funny! smile
That is real funny!
He must have big pockets, though.
(grin)
Posted By: Ivan Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/04/09
That is funny!

But seriously, I love my little CRKT.
Posted By: T LEE Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/04/09
It is, funny that is. LMAO!
Originally Posted by GeoW

[Linked Image]

g

That is an interesting key fob you got there. I really like the ring attached to it as well. Looks like you found it laying somewhere.
I have an Oregon Gerber LST and it was my EDC for lotsa years. Easy to sharpen but also fast to dull. Retired it and went with a Victorinox SAK for EDC and was much happier. Now I always have a Gerber Wave tool on my belt and the SAK in my pocket.
Posted By: djs Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/05/09
I bought a Case two-bladed foldng knofe 46 years ago in Idaho and carried it for two fire seasons. I still have the knife and would not get rid of it for anything.

[Linked Image]

g
That's a good one. I've got a little North American Arms .22 lr Mini-Revolver that could actually serve that function on a key chain. Just need a little ring installed on the butt.

[Linked Image]

g

I actually saw a security guard walking around with his keyring clipped into his trigger guard like that. shocked
Ah - something to agree on! Those Gerbers are great little knives! I carried one about 10 years, gave it to my boy when he got married - just to have something Dad carried a bunch.
Very good knives. I got one free with a brick of Federal .22 ammo about 15 years ago. Still have it but retired it some time back.
Posted By: GeoW Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/05/09
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

That is an interesting key fob you got there. I really like the ring attached to it as well. Looks like you found it laying somewhere.

Yep, with a little help from my friends grin

g

I probably shouldn't even admit this on the Campfire......but I've been carrying the same model of knife for about 10 years now........... grin

Casey

I have a black handle Case Sodbuster Jr. folder that has long been my favorite pocket knife ... every day.
I gotta break in a new one every couple of years or so. Kinda getting started on these two Benchmades.

[Linked Image]
Many years ago, I won one of those Gerbers in an NRA sweepstakes. grin I carried for a couple of years, then lost it somewhere, sometime in the winter. frown Come spring, I was leaving the girlfriend's place and happened to look down by my truck tire. Lo and behold, there was my knife, none the worse for the winter weather grin

I carried it another year or so and lost it again frown . Since I needed a knife, and gifts for the guys in my wedding party, I bought Buck 2 bladed penknives for all of us, including the 10 year old ring bearer. It's been 15 years now and I still have mine.

I was at the ring bearers wedding last year, he said he still has his.

Dale
Posted By: 1B Re: In Praise of My Pocket Knife - 05/05/09
I also have the same Gerbers and greatly respect them.

Great little work/ocasional use knives. I can't keep them though, as I give them to my sons, friends, security guards at airports when I forget they are on me, and once in awhile to guys with high dollar blades just for the hell of it.

They hold an edge as well as most. And you can get older ones with a clip that makes them into a convenient belt/boot carry blade.

I now mostly carry every day a more sophisticated knife that swings into action really fast and fits my hand like it was made for it. But the Gerbers are always near at hand -- in my car, fishing vest, deer hunting pack, and survival kit.

1B

Here's my everday pocket Knife, a 1970 Case One Armed Razor

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Here's my everday pocket Knife, a 1970 Case One Armed Razor

[Linked Image]
Nice.
Got these 2 as backup, haven't carried them much yet.

Case Barehead Slimline Trapper, Stag, kinda unusual in that it has 2 blades.
[Linked Image]

This one is a Case Kentucky Bicentennial Stag Sodbuster Jr.
[Linked Image]

Those are beauties. I have a few really nice pocket knives, but I'm afraid of losing them so don't carry them.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Those are beauties. I have a few really nice pocket knives, but I'm afraid of losing them so don't carry them.

That's kinda my problem, as well. And I don't quite get it. I have about 30 older Case pocket knives I have acquired over the years, and they have collector value, but not near as much as some of the rifles I hunt with and shoot with little concern.
I'll hunt a 98% pre-64 Model 70 in the rain, but don't want to carry a collectible pocket knife. Go figure.
Of late I've been carrying a Spyderco Endura 4 that I like. My favorite however is a Spyderco Military BG-42 (steel type) Carbon Fiber. Limited run, pricey and big, it's still a GREAT knife. I've carried it a plenty but for all the reasons just cited it's really a lot of knife to truly EDC.
The knife Ive been using, loosing, finding for the last couple of years is a old colonial fishing knife with yellow plastic handles.

.99 at the pawn shop and just fits nice in the pocket and nice in the hand. Funny the things you find and like.

Its like this one

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
The knife Ive been using, loosing, finding for the last couple of years is a old colonial fishing knife with yellow plastic handles.

.99 at the pawn shop and just fits nice in the pocket and nice in the hand. Funny the things you find and like.

Its like this one

[Linked Image]
Yellow handle usually means high carbon steel.
I had one of those composite Gerber LST's for a number of years. The composite cracked at the pivot. I replaced it with another Gerber but one of the AR 3.00 with metal handles. I carry that one every day.
Originally Posted by mtmisfit
I had one of those composite Gerber LST's for a number of years. The composite cracked at the pivot. I replaced it with another Gerber but one of the AR 3.00 with metal handles. I carry that one every day.
Well, I never use it as a pry bar, so the composite has held up perfectly for me.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by mtmisfit
Well, I never use it as a pry bar, so the composite has held up perfectly for me.

No prying, just cutting. Cutting rope and hose puts a lot of strain on the thin area of composite at the top front of the pivot pin.
© 24hourcampfire