Home
Posted By: SAKO75 any George Dickel fans here - 06/28/09
I had the #12 this weekend and it blows Jack out of the water... I always heard Dickel was better but never bought any and now i wont stop buying it... Tullahoma is pretty close to our farm and I just never stopped by the distillery, think i will now as well...
Jack will work, as will Jim. George is good. Bookers is better.
Originally Posted by SAKO75
I had the #12 this weekend and it blows Jack out of the water... I always heard Dickel was better but never bought any and now i wont stop buying it... Tullahoma is pretty close to our farm and I just never stopped by the distillery, think i will now as well...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cascade Hollow is a pretty place. If you've never been to the distillery, it's worth the trip. Don't be expecting a large operation, because it isn't.

** The state just passed a law allowing other counties in the state to operate a distillery. Might see a new market of micro-distilleries starting up.
Posted By: MarkR Re: any George Dickel fans here - 06/29/09
I like George myself,for me it's better than the others.
Posted By: Pugs Re: any George Dickel fans here - 06/29/09
Had a wee dram of Gentleman Jack last night and it's a cut above the standard black label IMO.

I'm more a scotch guy myself and I leave the bourbons to my brother and dad and that has worked well as long as they bring a bottle of that Buffalo Trace bourbon to camp. grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: any George Dickel fans here - 06/29/09
Have to see if we can get George Dickel here. Knob Creek yes...
I like bookers
don't understand the attraction to jack it doesn't
impress me at all
Posted By: ingwe Re: any George Dickel fans here - 06/29/09
elkhunter76...if you like Knob Creek, try Buffalo Trace, its a bit milder on the charred oak taste and 2/3 the price.....
Sako75; I read a whiskey book that put George Dickel #12 way up there, so I tried it...it IS good...but not exactly what I'm looking for...( and the "looking for" is the fun part!) laugh
My taste buds are shot anyway, I like Wild Turkey 80 better than 101 so this is definitely a FWIW post! wink
Ingwe
Blanton's is very nice also.....
George is a standard for the pre hunting trip to the shack.
A freind gave me a bottle of Bookers. Saving it for the antelope get together this fall!
ingwe,

if I can find it here I will! Sharing the Bookers with some Campfire members in antelope hutning camp this fall!

I used to drink George D along time ago when I could get it in 101 proof.I liked it a whole lot.It went real good with pickled eggs and Penrose hot sausages.I wonder if 101 is available nowadays?I got to where I was eatin' a real good many of those eggs and sausages back then.
not me. I like real Bourbon Whiskey.
Dickle ain't bad,but I'm an irish/scotch whiskey fan,the corn liquour always seemed to lead to a fight in deer camp.
Never tried Dickel, may have to now.

Never been a fan of either Jack or Crown for some reason, Jack I can go with, but it doesn't impress.. But Crown I can't even go.

We've been on Brooks and Beam here the last years.
Woodford Reserve.
George and I get along very well.

Winter fare,...in this neck of the woods.

GTC
Many a cold fishing trip has been made bearable by George Dickel.
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Blanton's is very nice also.....

Blantons transcends "very nice"....it is the BEST Ive ever tasted!
Ingwe
Originally Posted by rost495
Never tried Dickel, may have to now.

Never been a fan of either Jack or Crown for some reason, Jack I can go with, but it doesn't impress.. But Crown I can't even go.

We've been on Brooks and Beam here the last years.

Try Bookers, you'll dote heavily.
Originally Posted by shameless
I wonder if 101 is available nowadays?

It is. Fresh bottle sitting at the cabin, awaiting next season.
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Sharing the Bookers with some Campfire members in antelope hutning camp this fall!

How IS the Bookers? Ive never had that one...
Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sharing the Bookers with some Campfire members in antelope hutning camp this fall!

How IS the Bookers? Ive never had that one...
Ingwe

Superb. 126 proof, smooth, and a very nice flavor to boot. It'd beat Jack all day, on an even pitch, and it ain't even close to that.
Buffalo hunters drink Bookers?
Gonna try it Sean! Thanks!
Ingwe
Posted By: Tim M Re: any George Dickel fans here - 06/29/09
+2 on the woodford reserve. sippin' whiskey at it's best.
Buffalo hunters drink Bookers?

EvilTwin told me they did... wink
Ingwe
Ask NH K9. I turned him onto Bookers and to Hendricks gin, and he's forsaken all others now. And, he ain't the only one.

Good liquor, is a think I have come to know.
They better bring some with them then! grin
Using the "shelf" technique we Scotch aficionados proffer:

Third shelf, ie everyday - Woodford Reserve

2nd Shelf - Knob Creek, Booker's, Blanton's

Top Shelf - Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve
Ohhh Man...my "shelves" are lower to the ground...! cry
Ive got some catching up to do!!
Ingwe
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Ask NH K9. I turned him onto Bookers and to Hendricks gin, and he's forsaken all others now. And, he ain't the only one.

Good liquor, is a think I have come to know.

I should get together with him and ask him, as I train K9 too,.....
Two K9 Trainers and a bottle of Whiskey...THAT could get ugly... shocked
Ingwe
dickel.

me, a pond full of water moccasins, a dog that tried to drown me and a bottle of dickel....

memories.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
dickel.

me, a pond full of water moccasins, a dog that tried to drown me and a bottle of dickel....

memories.

Same here...almost exactly..except there was a girl involved...and little fish nibbling on my toes when they shouldn't and...DOH! I swore I wasn't gonna go there...!! blush
Ingwe
on a cold night Bourbon and Rumplemintz(snowshoe) is good
dickel.

memories.

Same here...almost exactly..except there was a girl involved...and little fish nibbling on my toes when they shouldn't and...DOH! I swore I wasn't gonna go there...!! blush
Ingwe

oh there was a girl, and a 66 chevy and a 20 gauge stevens single shot.

Me & that dog got bit up by water moccasins bad, dog took 3 days to come around, almost died. I was so full of Dickel, I'm pretty sure all the snakes that bit me died.

grin

My old man has had one of those curved bottles with the leather handle, unopened in the cabinet for the last thirty years, is it expensive stuff?
dickel.

memories.

Ingwe

oh there was a girl, and a 66 chevy and a 20 gauge stevens single shot.

Me & that dog got bit up by water moccasins bad, dog took 3 days to come around, almost died. I was so full of Dickel, I'm pretty sure all the snakes that bit me died.

grin

I never got bit by the Moccasins...
the girl on the other hand.... wink
Ingwe
Posted By: Tuco Re: any George Dickel fans here - 06/29/09
I have long been a devotee of George Dickel and recall posting a comment here, quite some time ago, extolling its virtues. Unfortunately, Dickel is greatly overshadowed by that "other" Tennessee whiskey and is, consequently, sometimes difficult to find. Has anyone ever tried 2/3 whiskey and 1/3 maple syrup? I know it sounds bizzare, but it's terrific. Billy Mays would probably still be alive had he made a point of regularly drinking such a cocktail.
Posting here is like pinch hitting for Mickey Mantle. I have tried them all, but not much George Dickel since I became more of an expert. My favorite is W.L.Wellers. That other "Tennessee Whiskey" mentioned here is way down on my list. Life is good.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
My old man has had one of those curved bottles with the leather handle, unopened in the cabinet for the last thirty years, is it expensive stuff?

FYI, liquor doesn't age once it's bottled. That liquor that has been sitting for 30 years in the bottle will taste the same as the day it was bottled 30 years ago. It only ages in a barrel.

And yes, I like George Dickel better than Jack.
© 24hourcampfire