Home
Posted By: denton Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Just dropped by the Sportsman's Warehouse in Riverdale, UT. Seems that I caught them unpacking shipments of stuff from ammo suppliers.

There are quite a few boxes of bullets on the shelves.

There was a shopping cart mostly full of primers. Noticed a case of 6 1/2 small rifle, several bricks of CCI 200 among the lot.

They even had a case of 22LR. Before they got the box off the pallet, I had one brick (taking the Boy Scouts shooting Friday), and someone else had a second brick.

Talk from the staff says that we are starting to see the end of the shortage.

People buying gold and stockpiling ammo and components is not a vote of confidence in our government.
I was in one of the Gander Mt in Houston yesterday. Didn't check the reloading isle.

As to factory ammo the only thing I didn't see was 32s and 380s in pistol ammo. Plenty of everything else. Plenty of 22 rimfire of all persuations. More shotshells than you could shake a stick at. Pallets of cases.

Plenty of rifle ctgs too. Even 223 and 7.62X39s

Factories must be catching up.

BCR
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
The GM here, has nada new on the reloading shelves. Still short on handgun ammo; .380s are nowhere; .22LRs scarce. Shotshells coming out the wazoo, though.
Posted By: Syncerus Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
There's good .22 availability in Dallas now.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Things definitely getting better in Montana...
Ingwe
Was in Montgomery last weekend, Bass Pro shops had tons of ammo, almost all handgun calibers, same for rifles, quite a few rimfire brands, a whole aisle of shotgun ammo, lots of different powder and even small pistol primers if you asked them to bring them out.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Good to hear..
Posted By: Huntr Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Whew, very good to hear!
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
The shop at the range in Fort Worth I shoot at had a few types of primers, last weekend. Quite a bit of ammo, too.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
I'm still looking for an 8# keg of H-335.

The shelves aren't as empty, but there's still a way to go.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Was in Montgomery last weekend, Bass Pro shops had tons of ammo, almost all handgun calibers, same for rifles, quite a few rimfire brands, a whole aisle of shotgun ammo, lots of different powder and even small pistol primers if you asked them to bring them out.

Also interesting is our local Bass Pro stopped stocking reloading components several years ago and now it's back. Perhaps people are starting to reload again and it's worth their effort.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Not good in my area of Wyoming, not a round of .22LR to be had except for the $10.00 a box target stuff. No .380 Auto either.
I found CCI 250's today. And the shop had CCI's of every other flavor. Not a truckload, but certainly better than a few months ago. Their powder selection had improved as well.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Still no primers last time I checked the local places in northern Michigan. Ammo is starting to show up though, as long as you aren't looking for 380 auto.
Posted By: EWY Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
Probably going to Cabelas in Hammond IN this weekend. Checked the local Wall Mart Saturday and no .22 Rimfire or 9mm. Glad to hear it is getting better in other places.
Ernie
Posted By: mudhen Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
I was at Cabelas in Buda, TX, today and their shelves were pretty well stocked with factory ammo. Lots of bullets, too, although almost nothing over .30 caliber. Not much powder on display--just one pound of almost everything. Guess they're trying to encourage folks to buy just a pound. Didn't look for primers, though, as I am pretty well fixed at home (and I have bought nothing since the hoarding started).

Quite a few Husqvarna "sporters" in 9.3x57 at reasonable prices, but none good enough to tempt me.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
I had a brick of LR primers on backorder from Cabelas since April. I finally got it about two weeks ago.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Ammo availability report - 08/18/09
The only thing you can't find around here is cheap .22's.
Posted By: Daveman Re: Ammo availability report - 08/19/09
I never thought I would see the day when a person couldn't go into a Wally World and grab a brick of .22 shells. Hopefully, those days are ending soon and ammo will be everywhere.
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Ammo availability report - 08/19/09
Ammo runs will continue as long as Obama is in office or another dictatorial azz has the office.

Welcome to the new America. You voted for change and now you have it.
Posted By: 1885 Re: Ammo availability report - 08/19/09
Dang, I haven't been able to find 30/40 krag anywheres.
Posted By: nemesis Re: Ammo availability report - 08/19/09
I've gone into the Kittery Trading Post (one of the biggest gun stores in New England) several times now to pick up a couple of bricks of cheap .22 LR ammo to take the kids plinking with ................and the shelves have been empty!!

Yesterday, I asked the guy what the hell was going on and he said they can't get the stuff from their suppliers.

I said...."Well, I can sorta see why there may be a shortage of the centerfire ammo, (especially the popular pistol calibers) but what's going on with the .22's,............they can produce those things by the millions?"

He just shook his head in bewilderment.

Does anyone here have an explanation?
Posted By: Syncerus Re: Ammo availability report - 08/19/09
Originally Posted by nemesis

There's more margin in other products and and endless demand; they've shifted production to more profitable product lines.
Posted By: nemesis Re: Ammo availability report - 08/19/09
Originally Posted by Syncerus
Originally Posted by nemesis

There's more margin in other products and and endless demand; they've shifted production to more profitable product lines.

You know, that's exactly what I suspected.

Why produce loaves of bread and make a nickle a loaf when you can produce sweet rolls and make a dime on each one?

Makes sense to me.........

Well, maybe the Chinese will jump on this product too and take all the business away from the American manufacturers...........who knows?
© 24hourcampfire