Home
Always been enamored by them and trying to learn more. From what little has been shown on Animal Planet or Discovery, they are supposed to be very rare. They are supposed to need many miles of territory and roam non-stop.

I know there are a handful in the lower 48. Having just pulled into WA for my 2nd stop, I recall a lynx trap being filled by a wolverine in NC Washington a few years back. Also was reading in NatGeo at the Dr.s office of a collared wolverine in Glacier NP that did about 30 miles by 12 noon. Showed him going from the river bottom, up and along the ridge of a very tall mtn.

But I can't help but think that there are just 100 or so in the lower 48??

Wondering why they are not given more attention if they are such a barometer on habitat or ecology?

Conversly, I just searched them on eBay. There are 6 hides there right now. All command a premium price at $400-600. And I would guess rightfully so.

But if they are that rare, do they need to be continually hunted or trapped?

It would be more beneficial to stop building houses, roads and strip malls.
Posted By: rattler Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/25/09
IIRC Montana has a trapping quota of 2.......i think the only reason they are uncommon is the fact they have pretty low population densities naturally.....a single male often has a territory of nearly 250 square miles and seem to tolerate overlapping ranges of the same sex a whole lot less than other carnivores.....
they are more common than an honest politician in the lower 48.

this accounts for their rarity.
Their range goes places range maps don't show. I've seen 3 in north eastern Nebraska. One near the Elkhorn river and two further north along Verdigris River. Several people I know have also reported seeing them along the Virdigris or Niobrara rivers.

I also saw one north of Gordon (western Ne) along the SD border. Nearly hit that one with the car as it loped across the road.

Few years ago I stopped at NE Game and Parks to buy deer tags and fur license and pick up the variety of literature they put out each year. I asked the gal behind the counter if the Commission was aware of wolverine presence in the state. She gave me kind of a funny look for a couple seconds, then responded affirmative. I was surprised by her response. At that time they were still denying the presence of mountain lions.

Posted By: eh76 Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/25/09
They aren't as "rare" as the lib tv shows would like you to beleive. We have them in WY. It might be rare to see one, but that is because of their habits and environment. We have lots of moutain lions but you don't see them every day either.
I have had a number of folks swear they saw wolverines on Kodiak Island. They assume they are there and the desire to see on eis great... Silver foxes are what they actually saw.

Living and spending lots of time in wolverine country where they are occasionally visible at great distance I have seen just a small handful.

A good friend claims the World record for the most wolverines ever trapped in one small area. I think it was in the high teens in the Kamishak Bay area. Pictures and the rest were published in the book ghost-written for Andy Nault "Staying Alive in Alaska's Wild".
art
If there were a lot of them, they'd rule the world...or at least try...if they could get organized.
I do know that trappers in Canada just dreaded having one show
up on their traplines as it meant they either got rid of the
wolverine or ended up in the poor house! The creature would
follow their line and tear up any thing in the trap, spring
traps and just generally raise "Hell" The first nation people
had some pretty colorful names for them as well. I speak
from trappers in the fifties from western Canada. YMMV
Cheers NC

Posted By: JoeMama Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/25/09
Originally Posted by northcountry
I do know that trappers in Canada just dreaded having one show
up on their traplines as it meant they either got rid of the
wolverine or ended up in the poor house! The creature would
follow their line and tear up any thing in the trap, spring
traps and just generally raise "Hell" The first nation people
had some pretty colorful names for them as well. I speak
from trappers in the fifties from western Canada. YMMV
Cheers NC

The Native Peoples in Michigan called the early settlers Wolverines because it was the nastiest, stinkiest, greediest, most antisocial, rapacious animal they were familiar with.
(Source, MSU GEO333)

Politicians infiltrated Michigan several years later.

-Joe
(A Spartan)
Posted By: KSMITH Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/25/09
Rare enough in my book. One animal you don't need to [bleep] with on any regular basis.
I've read about them. Mean little bastids. I've never seen one except for that football game in Michigan. Lots of them there.
Posted By: kend Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/25/09
I've seen a few here in Oregon. .22 won't slow them down much I've heard.
Originally Posted by kend
I've seen a few here in Oregon. .22 won't slow them down much.

i know bird shot out of a 12 gauge just pisses off their lil cousin, the badger......would want to run into a wolverine the same way i usually run into badgers, pretty sure they are big enough to climb up into the back of the truck after me crazy grin
Having had an encounter with one back in '93 here in Colorado, where there supposedly aren't any, I believe there are more things out there than we are aware of! I've also encountered Civet Cats (Ringtails) here. They are typically desert dwellers. Not supposed to be any Grizzlies left here either. Right!!!
North country is right. The native Indian called him Carcajou which the french trappers adopted the name. It means little mean devil in their language. Only thing that will chase 5 wolves off a kill and not only keep it but the wolves will never go near that kill again. How is this possible you may ask. Some of you old trappers and woodsman would know this. How does he do it?
I don't mean to hijack but I know something of these critters because I would run on the trapline with my grandad. He's one of them mad trapper types and he's French. Guess if you want and I'll tell you if you are right?
Saw a picture in a road side gas station in Cliff, NM of some Texan trying to feed a Badger and Oreo by hand. Wonder how that went???

Wolverines in NE Nebraska? I guess I learned something new.

And I concur with the similarities of Mt Lion sightings as well. I am sure there are many out there, but few are ever seen. However, I don't know how many dipschits claim "lion" tracks about everywhere. I hunted doves over a tank one time. Took a buddy back there 4 days later. He was claiming a lion was watering at that tank. But they were only the tracks of my 95 lb Chessie. He was adamant that they were lion tracks. I guess Tools are everywhere?

I knew MT had an open trapping season on them, but I was not sure how many were ever harvested or tagged(do they need to be?).

Had another guy (in NW MT) tell me he met up with a trapper near Eureka that trapped one. He said there were fleas jumping off of it and it was pretty nasty. I mentally called BS as it was March and I doubt that anything is flea infested at that time of the year..... Some people
here are the regs, i was off on the quota:

WOLVERINE �
Wolverine Management Unit (WMU) 1, 2 and 3 Season Dates: December
1 � February 15 of the following year. License must be purchased no later
than November 30. Season will close in 48 hours upon reaching the WMU
quota or on the season closure date, whichever occurs fi rst. Refer to Legal
Descriptions for WMU boundaries.
See WMU legal descriptions page 11.
WMU 1 (Northern Core) � Portions of Trapping Districts 1, 2, and 4.
WMU 2 (Central Core) � Portions of Trapping Districts 2, and 3.
WMU 3 (Southern Core) � Portions of Trapping Districts 3, and 5.
WMU 4 (Central Insular Mountains) � Portions of Trapping Districts
1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Special Wolverine Regulations in Trapping Districts 1 and 2 � To minimize
the incidental capture of lynx the following special wolverine regulations
apply in a portion of Trapping Districts 1 and 2. See legal description,
page 10.
Leaning Pole Sets � Pole diameter must be no larger than 4 inches for pole
sets with trap and bait 48 inches above the ground.
Limit � A person may take and possess one (1) wolverine per season.
Wolverine Quota �
WMU 1 has a quota of three (3) wolverine with a female subquota of 1.
WMU 2 has a quota of one (1) wolverine.
WMU 3 has a quota of one (1) wolverine.
WMU 4 has a quota of zero (0) wolverine.
Quotas � Current harvest quota information may be obtained by calling
1-800-711-8727, 24 hours a day or the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov. The
toll free line and website are updated by 1 p.m. (MST) every day.
Furbearer seasons will close in 48 hours when a species quota or subquota
is reached prior to the end of the regular season. The Fish, Wildlife & Parks
Commission has authorized the department to initiate a closure prior to
reaching a quota or subquota when conditions or circumstances indicate
the quota may be reached within the 48-hour closure notice period.
Reporting � Trappers are required to personally report their wolverine
harvest within 24 hours by calling the statewide Fish, Wildlife & Parks
reporting line at 1-877-FWP-WILD (1-877-397-9453) so that FWP can
monitor quota levels. Trappers are required to provide: name, telephone
number, ALS number, species, date of harvest, trapping district, county,
specifi c location (legal description), and sex when reporting a furbearer
harvest. When reporting a furbearer harvest, it is unlawful to subscribe to
or make any statement that is materially false.
Pelt Tagging � Trappers are required to personally present the pelts of
wolverine for tagging to a designated Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) employee
within ten (10) days after harvest. Trappers unable to comply with the pelt
tagging requirement due to special circumstances or the unavailability of
local FWP personnel must still register their pelts within ten (10) days after
harvest by contacting a regional offi ce to make arrangements for tagging
by FWP personnel. Pelts not presented or registered to FWP personnel
within ten (10) days of harvest are subject to confi scation.
Carcasses � It is mandatory that the entire and intact carcass of all
wolverine be turned into Fish, Wildlife & Parks in good condition, at the
time the pelt is presented for tagging. The skull will be retained by Fish,
Wildlife & Parks for processing and examination and then returned to the
owner if desired. Good condition is defi ned as fresh or frozen and securely
wrapped in such a manner as to have prevented decomposition in order
that all tissue samples are suitable for lab analysis. Any wolverine pelt
that is presented for tagging without the
On the news a few months ago one wildlife researcher got one on a trail cam photo. He was near Lake Tahoe, which was a big surprise to all concerned.

article with pics:

http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/20080307/REGION/82428340

a follow up - he had apparently traveled a long way...

http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/tahoe-wolverine-is-not-from-california/

There is a small general store near Lake Wishon in the central Sierras, and they have a Wolverine pelt on the wall. The pelt is nice.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Amen.
I don't know about rare but they are hard to get a look at.

I have never seen one nor had my dad during her lifetime.

Mom saw several but she was from the up in Northern Michigan.

Amazing animals.
Originally Posted by gwindrider1
Having had an encounter with one back in '93 here in Colorado, where there supposedly aren't any, I believe there are more things out there than we are aware of! I've also encountered Civet Cats (Ringtails) here. They are typically desert dwellers. Not supposed to be any Grizzlies left here either. Right!!!

Ringtails might be worth a thread of their own. They were also called Miner's Cats. Apparently a lot of the old Western miners kept them as pets
I saw a wolverine run across the hay field next to our house when I was about 10 years old ,in north central minnesota.I went after it with a single shot 22 Ithaca model 49,but never saw it again.Probably a good thing.
Posted By: kend Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/25/09
I'm wrong. I have seen badgers here in Oregon NOT Wolverines. I'm getting old, forgive me. Ken
Posted By: 5sdad Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/25/09
Depends on how long you cook 'em.
Posted By: rnr Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/26/09
Originally Posted by gwindrider1

Colorado Outdoors (official DOW mag) Magazine reported a wolverine in RMNP. Some photog got a pic of it.

Buddy I hunt w/ swears he saw a wolf (he's from MN and supposed to know what he sees) above the Poudre last day of 3rd Eld season last year. Coincidentally, I was tracking it till it got too dark. I ended up finding Bob's tracks at the point where he supposedly saw it. From the tracks, I thought it was a huge coyote and was tracking it 'cause it was last evening of hunt and I was bored. Anecdotal at best, but I'm convinced even if DOW says there's no wolves in CO.
We have lots of lions in ID but I've never seen one. We have wolverines but I've never seen one of them either. There are more than the huggers would like us to believe.
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Saw a picture in a road side gas station in Cliff, NM of some Texan trying to feed a Badger and Oreo by hand. Wonder how that went???

Tame badger probably. wink
Posted By: rattler Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/26/09
yah know ive heard of pet ferrets, pet skunks, pet lynx, pet prairie dogs but ive never heard of someone trying to tame a badger....
Honestly me either, but I have seen a few on some kids movies allowed to waddle around, so I guess they can be tamed to an extent. Probably like the pitbull thing...why take the chance.
I've been really fortunate to get to spend more time outdoors than most folks get up here.

I can count on one hand the number of wolverine sightings I've seen.

the closest was riding snowmachines at night, probably only 5 ft. away from the little bastid but even at 20 mph, it's over now.

the best view was out glassing for bou and saw two of them bounding along the tundra. little bastids bound along like they're on pogo sticks or something. Watched them till they bounded out of sight, long ways, they can cover some ground, pogo sticks or not.

oh and how do they claim a kill and keep it? my answer is they pizz all over it and nada but them will eat it after that.
After a few seasons of the mange left our coyotes looking like possums, I listened to a couple of good old boys visiting at the coffee shop in a small nearby town. They were sure that the state was releasing Wolves in SE KS. After leaving the quickstop, I saw a huge coyote in full fur. Sure looked like a wolf, but it was definitely a coyote.

About cats in KS. I have a very good friend that took a pic of a track with his cell phone next his foot last deer season. He was sure enough that it was a puma track, that he hunted in another area, but he shot a 10 point anyway. I believe that the pic was a lion track.

You sure can tell they are around when you see what they do to a jump trap set on a number 4 trap. I've seen plenty of damage they can do, and I've actually seen them early in the mornings a few times. Unless you rig sets with snares you won't likely hold them in a trap set. They are tricky weasels to hold in a trap. If you lack wolverines, you need to come to Alaska for your trapping fun. One thing you can sure say about a wolverine is they are one secretive animal. You will see 10,000 tracks for ever one you'll see in the flesh.
I posted this story some time back about my one and only encounter ...

"Great stories all ... One of my most memorable hunting experiences happened during the fall black bear season in Montana in the 1980's. I took the day off work and went high up in the Rockies to a spot where I'd seen bear sign on previous trips. It was a swale about 300 yds across and 200 yards long right at the top of the alpine tree line. It was full of lush grass and rotted logs. The mountain was steep on either side of the swale and the only way in or out was a trail about 3 feet wide. On either side of the trail, the mountain rose sharply or dropped precipitously. I chose a spot about 75 yds down the trail from the swale for my stand.

The morning came and went with not much more than a bird or two in the swale. Just after noon, I saw movement about 200 yds away just inside the tree line. I got the Mod 70 in .270 ready. The critter left the trees and entered the meadow and I near filled my drawers ... it was a wolverine. I had never seen one in the wild and haven't seen another since, but I was very aware of their reputation for ugliness. He romped through that meadow and hit every log looking for tasty morsels. I watched in awe at this once in a lifetime experience. He continued foraging for about 20 minutes, coming closer and closer to the trail head. When he was about 10 yds from the trail head I decided that I didn't want to be on the same trail as this critter. I stood in the middle of the trail and shouted loudly while waving my hands above my head. My intent was to make him aware of my presence and send him back to the trees from where he came. To my dismay, he lowered his head while looking straight at me and began to paw the ground like a bull and vocalizing his anger. I was already in a front-kneeling ready postion when he started down the trail for me a full bore. One shot ended my danger and his life. The shot entered his open mouth and exited his right eye socket, but it did the trick. I pelted the animal, took it to the local sheriffs office and relayed the story I just told. He told me to keep the pelt as a reminder. It's still with me today."
Originally Posted by rattler
yah know ive heard of pet ferrets, pet skunks, pet lynx, pet prairie dogs but ive never heard of someone trying to tame a badger....

Yeah, I think I know that guy. He's the dude we call Stumpy. smile

Wayne
that woulda prolly been my first guess grin they are touchy bastards when yah get between them and their hole....been treed in the back of the truck several times
I might be wrong on this but I always thought wolverine and badger were in different families. Wolverine is a weasel. Biggest of them all. Don't think badgers are same family. ???

You'll know a wolverine even if you see at a distance. Unmistakable method of movement. Very bouncy, like they've got springs in their feet. The first one I saw was bounding through the woods. At first I thought it was a coon but way too dark colored and WAY too big. The way it bounced along was what really took me by surprise. It reminded me of a pet ferret my kid sister had when it got to playing. Very bouncy. That's when it dawned on me what I was seeing. That encounter was about 30 yards away.

The one I nearly hit north of Gordon along the SD border was much closer. I was only going abaout 50 or so when it came down the embankment. I hit the skids slowing to 30-35 and just missed it. As I went by my eyes were glued, naturally, and it looked back over its shoulder at me. Unmistakably a wolverine, the mouth is disproportionately large for the size of the head and the body is something you never forget. Very powerful looking in its movements and yet graceful. Way cool animal!

I'll answer, BCBrian, the best I know. He does it because he can. If you've ever played with a pet ferret you'll know they have agility that would make any cat jealous. A wolverine has strength that would make any bear jealous and an attitude that would make any Marine take second thoughts. They're the toughest tough guy in North America. That is why they do it, because they can.

I don't fear the wolverine. It's not like a mountain lion or bear or wolf. Something deep inside tells me there is nothing to fear unless you're dumb enough to try and corner one. If left alone, they'll leave you alone. I honestly believe there is nothing to fear. There's just something different about them than any other large(ish) predator.

Has anyone ever heard of a wolverine attacking a human? Except perhaps one caught in a trap or cornered (whether accidently or on purpose) I don't think one has ever attacked a human. I believe they're more like a dolphin in shark infested water, they'd probably come to your rescue. I just got a gut feeling about them.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter
I might be wrong on this but I always thought wolverine and badger were in different families. Wolverine is a weasel. Biggest of them all. Don't think badgers are same family. ???

nope....weasel, ferrets, badger, wolverine, otters.....all Mustelids.....some aint terribly closely related to each other as the family has been around a long time....

There have been a few tamed ones. The results don't always come out as pleasant as the owner would like, though. Kind of like keeping a pet skunk with the scent glands intact. Sooner or later, it's going to think it's still wild.
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Their range goes places range maps don't show. I've seen 3 in north eastern Nebraska. One near the Elkhorn river and two further north along Verdigris River. Several people I know have also reported seeing them along the Virdigris or Niobrara rivers.

I also saw one north of Gordon (western Ne) along the SD border. Nearly hit that one with the car as it loped across the road.

Few years ago I stopped at NE Game and Parks to buy deer tags and fur license and pick up the variety of literature they put out each year. I asked the gal behind the counter if the Commission was aware of wolverine presence in the state. She gave me kind of a funny look for a couple seconds, then responded affirmative. I was surprised by her response. At that time they were still denying the presence of mountain lions.

I'm fairly confident you saw a badger. They are fairly similiar in body type and look. Badgers color varies alot at different times of the year. There have been no confirmed wolverines in North Dakota, South Dakota, or Nebraska. They deny mountian lions till they are hit by cars, photos are taken and one was shot in South Sioux City. None of this has happened with a Wolverine in the Central Plains.

ddj
Well fellows, such is not the case here in good old Alaska. Vary commonly seen is the addition of wolverine fur with wolf fur for parka ruffs. Like I have posted before you'll see a lot more tracks than you will ever see them in the flesh. The one trait they all seem to have in common is there fondness for a vindictive nature.
Saw one backpacking with my Dad in Glacier NP in Sept 2001, one of the most cool things I've ever seen in the wild. It was loping off downhill away from us to parts unknown. I'd imagine that the way it ran with the front and rear legs not lining up, that the critter would make a distinctive set of tracks.
Originally Posted by davidsapp
Saw one backpacking with my Dad in Glacier NP in Sept 2001, one of the most cool things I've ever seen in the wild. It was loping off downhill away from us to parts unknown. I'd imagine that the way it ran with the front and rear legs not lining up, that the critter would make a distinctive set of tracks.

I think that'd be the coolest thing I could ever see, a wolverine backpacking with my dad wink
I've seen two.
One was the rarest of the bunch a "Vancouver Island Wolverine".
(They may be extinct now I'm told)
When I saw that one it was chasing a doe and fawn thru mid deep snow but not able to catch up to them for the time I was able to watch it.
The other one was up near B.C/Yukon border lopin along like they do.
http://www.wolverinefoundation.org/wrlddist.htm

Anyone that thinks they have seen one in the lower 48 states might want to take a hard look at this map. In most cases I think what you are seeing is a badger.
Posted By: Steve Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/27/09
Saw one a couple years ago while bear hunting in Central B.C. Only the second one my guide had ever seen.
Posted By: Huntz Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/27/09
I bet most people who think they saw a Wolverine probably saw a Fisher.They can be quite large over 40" long and run with a lope.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/27/09
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

I can count on one finger my sighting.... a few years ago in Wood-Tikchik State Park.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/27/09
Originally Posted by chris112
http://www.wolverinefoundation.org/wrlddist.htm

Anyone that thinks they have seen one in the lower 48 states might want to take a hard look at this map. In most cases I think what you are seeing is a badger.

Cool map, it shows Kodiak as wolverine-free. I believe it!
So,....there ya' are,

standing out under the Northern Lights,......and enjoy peeing into the snow.

........The Wolverine's out there,.......waiting,

....most all of the attacks he makes on simple hivernans taking a leak are FATAL, ......and because he drags his victims off for later consumption,.....the Wolverine will remain a terrible, and enigmatic creature of lore.

Careful about waving yer' live bait around.

GTC
Posted By: JRaw Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/27/09
Killed a moose last year on a permit hunt in the Anchorage area. The wildlife guys used my gutpile to trap wolverines for collar/study. Pretty cool.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have lots of lions in ID but I've never seen one. We have wolverines but I've never seen one of them either. There are more than the huggers would like us to believe.

Truer words and all that

My mother had a pet badger for a couple years. She was the only one the badger let near the cage. Kindred spirits and all, I assume. My parents found it "dead" beside the road near Ellensburg, WA, and brought it home for the skin. When my father went to skin it he felt a pulse, so they watched it for a few days and one day it was wandering around the shop with a serious list to port.

After a few days of being hand fed and cared for it came around and made a mostly complete recovery. My mother fed it by hand and it would act like a puppy. Somebody let it out of the pen one day and they never saw it again.

My experiences have not shown wolverines to be anything special in the mean department and old trappers I know with quite a bit of experience claim they are way over-rated for tough and mean.

Had a Martin decide a buck I shot on Afognak Island was his and he was willing to fight me for it...
art
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
If there were a lot of them, they'd rule the world...or at least try...if they could get organized.

Nope. Wolverines are classic anarchists.
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

I can count on one finger my sighting.... a few years ago in Wood-Tikchik State Park.

tis where I've seen 4 of the 5 I've seen as well kid.
I've known old trappers along the Yukon and Tanana Rivers that had never seen a live wolverine that wasn't caught in a trap.

I've lived out here on the AKPEN for the last 8 years now and I've seen about a half-dozen live-in-the-open wolverines even followed one for several hundred yards with my patrol rig which I initially thought was a porcupine when I first saw it.
Even saw one this summer. I now have his territory staked out for trapping season next month.

Of course this is open country unlike the interior so it's easier to catch a glimpse of things that may not want to be seen. I also think that maybe half of those sightings were the same animal. But people still see them around here and the couple of trappers we had hitting them always got wolverines every year.

agreed on the open country gig

timber hides a bunch of stuff
Great,....you've blown your cover,
..... and now Wolverine Central's going to be on to you.

I'd be real careful, from here on out.

GTC
Pfffffffft............. Their lack of fear is their weakness.
Posted By: 700LH Re: How "rare" are wolverines? - 10/27/09
I know I ain't apeein in the snow no more. Map shows they just might be around here.
I've finally accomplished a landmark, or point of referance,

...a viable credential,.....as it were,

I mean, "The Man who introduced Wolverine pecker paranoia"

That would have to mean something,.....?

Kidding aside,....kudos to the Stinking Cache Robber/Destroyer,

and long may he run.

GTC
The map probably shows where there is an established, breeding population.
Ive seen badgers and fishers.wasnt either of those.
I never knew what it was that I saw when I was ten. thought it was a big skunk,,until I saw a wolverine running on tv.Then I knew for sure that is what it was.No question,Of course,it was 35 years ago.
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Always been enamored by them and trying to learn more. From what little has been shown on Animal Planet or Discovery, they are supposed to be very rare. They are supposed to need many miles of territory and roam non-stop.

I know there are a handful in the lower 48. Having just pulled into WA for my 2nd stop, I recall a lynx trap being filled by a wolverine in NC Washington a few years back. Also was reading in NatGeo at the Dr.s office of a collared wolverine in Glacier NP that did about 30 miles by 12 noon. Showed him going from the river bottom, up and along the ridge of a very tall mtn.

But I can't help but think that there are just 100 or so in the lower 48??
Wondering why they are not given more attention if they are such a barometer on habitat or ecology?

Conversly, I just searched them on eBay. There are 6 hides there right now. All command a premium price at $400-600. And I would guess rightfully so.

But if they are that rare, do they need to be continually hunted or trapped?

Rare in Texas, not so rare in Alaska......

Wolverines are not a "keystone species", so are not necessarily a barometer of ecosystem health. But,....as a large mammal they are of significance in any ecosystem they naturally occur.

It's important to note that some critters were always rare for a given region/ecosystem, so "rare" may be a natural event. Hence, wolverines are naturally rare in Texas, common in Alaska........

Casey
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Amen.

Amen, amen.....

Casey
© 24hourcampfire