Home
Has anyone had to replace the lift gate glass on their truck topper? Broke the glass in mine and would like to know what the options are for replacement besides the stocking dealer.
Have a local place put in plexiglass?
If you do make sure you get a piece that is thick enough. My neighbor did that and his sags.
When mine broke, I tried the plexiglass route -- doing it myself, results were less than optimal with my available tools. Ended up making and treating a wood one that fit the window frame. It worked OK since I never used my rear view mirrors anyways. Looked a little tacky and wasn't quite waterproof...and far from secure given the thickness required to fit the frame. I finally ended up getting one from the dealership @ $600. Good luck.
The last and final one I had to replace, I was able to get one from a salvage yard. It was the frame and window $120.
I had one ordered through a glass shop up in Silver City and they even installed it in my frame. Cost about $105 and change, but that's been about five years ago. I remember that it was less than half the price of replacing the whole rear window.
Originally Posted by carbon12
Has anyone had to replace the lift gate glass on their truck topper? Broke the glass in mine and would like to know what the options are for replacement besides the stocking dealer.

If you live close to me I'll give you one. Mine was too dark for me to see through safely so I had a new untinted one made. It's tempered glass and cost a little over a hundred dollars. Some places that sell/make canopies have extra pieces laying around that you might get pretty cheap if they would fit.
Carbon12,

I replaced mine with a piece of Lexan polycarbonate from a plastics dealer. I told them what thickness and tint and they sold me a rough-cut slab along with the proper jig saw blade for cutting the stuff.
Most plastic dealers carry the stuff in different colors as well as clear.
Regular plexiglas is too soft. Lexan is basically the stuff airplane windshields are made of. I paid less than $100 last year for mine.

Ed
© 24hourcampfire