Home
Posted By: SuperCub Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09
I was planning to buy some cast iron in the new year. Was going to get a 14" pan, a wok, and a 12" dutch oven from either Wagner or Lodge.

My wife got wind of my plan and got me a 14" pan from Cabelas. Anyone use this before? Thoughts and/or comments?

No thoughts/comments on Cabela's wares, mine are all mostly handed down from my grand parents and great grand parents, and we use them almost exclusively.

The three I use the most to feed a family of five are a 16" skillet, a 12" skillet, and a deeper 10" pan with lid.

Properly seasoned is the only way to rock........

Posted By: isaac Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09
Roy...bring that 16 incher to the Nelson County cabin so you can feed your extended family.
Made in China, just like a lot of Lodge stuff is nowadays.

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.
Posted By: djs Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09
Shame it is made in China, but good quality.
Chinese cast iron is of poor quality. It develops hot spots, the iron tends to be spongy, and it cracks. From what I have seen, it is very difficult to season properly, and so rough inside, that you have to take a grinder to it.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09
Most of the cast cookware now made has teflon coating and cannot be seasoned, it completly defeats the purpose of cast. I use a Wagner for most all my cooking.
"I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela. "

I've one of the 'antique' 10" unlabeled cast irons pans and it performs right along with Griswalds and Wagners in the kitchen collection. I see quite a few at second hand shops, flea markets and auctions. Usually priced at a fifth of the Griswalds and Wagners.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Why is that?

because it will exhibit the opposite characteristics of the chinese cast iron.

We don't have any cast iron manufacturers that I know of here in Canada, so any I would get here would be imported whether from the US or China. OTOH ... I totally agree with and understand you disdain for imported Chinese goods.

While this pan wouldn't have been my first choice, I was hoping for some feedback from any who have first hand used it. I'm stuck with it now, so I may as well make the best of it.

Let us know how it works for you. I have a friend that loves cast iron cooking.
Posted By: RNF Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09
Supercub,

I have not used the cabelas brand but looking at their user reviews most were happy with what they got,

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/reviews.jsp?productid=516266
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I was planning to buy some cast iron in the new year. Was going to get a 14" pan, a wok, and a 12" dutch oven from either Wagner or Lodge.

My wife got wind of my plan and got me a 14" pan from Cabelas. Anyone use this before? Thoughts and/or comments?

I'd worry that they were made in China, where you don't know what kinds of metals they are made from.

I have one skillet that belonged to my grandmother, and a bunch of other Griswold cast iron I bought on ebay.

Once you learn how to season them, and keep them seasoned, they are amazingly non-stick. With a little butter, fried eggs literally slide right out of the skillet into your plate. No sticking, and they last literally forever.
Originally Posted by carbon12
I've one of the 'antique' 10" unlabeled cast irons pans and it performs right along with Griswalds and Wagners in the kitchen collection.
That must be what I have. My mother gave me my grandmother's old cast iron skillet a couple of years ago, and I posted here to see if anyone could identify the maker. It only has a number 8 on the bottom, and nothing else. Works great, though, once I learned how to season it. My mom tells me it was already old back in the 1930s, so no telling when it was made.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

We don't have any cast iron manufacturers that I know of here in Canada, so any I would get here would be imported whether from the US or China. OTOH ... I totally agree with and understand you disdain for imported Chinese goods.

While this pan wouldn't have been my first choice, I was hoping for some feedback from any who have first hand used it. I'm stuck with it now, so I may as well make the best of it.

The Chinese cast iron make fine wall decorations. laugh
If you're buying cast iron because of its known attributes, you'll be much better off looking for the vintage stuff. As stated earlier, Chinese iron is known for everything BUT quality and uniformity. I would look at LodgeLogic- I have a niece that recently purchased some and was very pleased.
http://www.castironcookware.com/
I'm disappointed in Cabelas- I looked at boots there not long ago, and failed to find a single pair that wasn't made in China.
Posted By: Stray Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09
From Lodge's website:

Are Lodge products made in the USA?
All of our foundry seasoned cast iron products, including the Signature Series, are manufactured in the USA. Our Lodge Enamel items are imported from China.

< Back to Top

Originally Posted by Stray
From Lodge's website:

Are Lodge products made in the USA?
All of our foundry seasoned cast iron products, including the Signature Series, are manufactured in the USA. Our Lodge Enamel items are imported from China.

< Back to Top

For enameled cast iron (I only use enameled for dutch ovens), I have Staub, which is made in France, and is of the highest quality. All else (skillets, griddles, chicken fryers) are Griswold plain cast iron (plus the one unmarked antique skillet from my grandmother).

PS I bought one piece from Lodge and didn't like it nearly as much as Griswold. They tend to have very rough cooking surfaces.

I'd find an older Griswald, or Wagner. Even the unmarked 'antique' cast iron you can find will be a better performer than anything from Cabela.

Lodge is made in the USA, except the enameled cast iron. So, any of the "black" cast iron is made right here in the USA.

Their enameled cast iron is no different than any of the other enameled cast iron you see in cooking or department stores, except for Le Creuset which is made in France.
I have used Lodge once it O.K. Ihave a full collection of Griswald/Wagner passed down from my mothers side its all I use. A good place to hunt cast is junk stores antique stores if you get some old gris or wagner you'll be much happier and it's worth more.
Suggest you get a copy of "Cast-Iron Cooking For Dummies". Plenty of good information about selecting same. Also lot's of recipes. Still want to try that chicken recipe "Country Captain".

Be warned; when new, cast-iron is not smooth. It is sand cast after all and will take a lot of use to get that nice smooth surface we all like. Grandma has been using her's for how long after all? Probably the single best reason to buy it at a second-hand store.
Originally Posted by acesandeights

Lodge is made in the USA, except the enameled cast iron. So, any of the "black" cast iron is made right here in the USA.

Their enameled cast iron is no different than any of the other enameled cast iron you see in cooking or department stores, except for Le Creuset which is made in France.

no different eh? ohhhhhhhhhhhh K.
I bought a Cabela 14" dutch oven and it was really rough sand cast. I coated it with Lard and baked it a couple of times, but wasn't making much headway on getting it seasoned fit to use. I took it out to the shop and used my big angle grinder and a knotted steel cup brush and worked it real good inside, then seasoned it again. Works great now and goes hunting and camping with me all the time.
Posted By: 1885 Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09
Super,
Try http://www.ebay.ca/

searce cast iron cookware or my favorite enamel cookware make sure its cast iron. Look off and on until you find what you want.
Hold on, yes Cabala's line is Chinese, but they also sell the Lodge Logic which I believe is better a U.S cast iron products.
I love finding old cast iron at flea markets.
Posted By: Armen Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/26/09

Lodge cast iron is made in China, now?

Sheeze, it seems like nothing is sacred these days.

When Case knives start being made over there, we'll know the "end is near".

ive got some new made in teh USA cast iron from Lodge.....is it as good(smooth) as my dad's old cast iron? no but yah got to start somewhere....i say better using the USA Lodge stuff than using nothing...
Originally Posted by Allen917
I bought a Cabela 14" dutch oven and it was really rough sand cast. I coated it with Lard and baked it a couple of times, but wasn't making much headway on getting it seasoned fit to use. I took it out to the shop and used my big angle grinder and a knotted steel cup brush and worked it real good inside, then seasoned it again. Works great now and goes hunting and camping with me all the time.

I wondered about giving it a smoother finish with a 5" flapper disc on my mini grinder as the surface is a bit rough. I may give that a try. Either way, I'm stuck with it so I'll have to make it work.

I have re worked several cast iron skillets and dutch ovens with a grinder and sand paper.
When you get the surface smooth, then you can season it, and the performance will be greatly improved.
I did not mean to indicate that your piece is useless by any means.
I have re worked several cast iron skillets and dutch ovens with a grinder and sand paper.
When you get the surface smooth, then you can season it, and the performance will be greatly improved.

Thanks, I will go that route before even trying it out. I don't have any experience with cast iron but somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it needed a smooth surface to work right.

I did not mean to indicate that your piece is useless by any means.

No problem here. smile

Here is a very good reference on cast iron: Cast Iron Cuisine from Breakfast to Dessert. It has some great info on the acquisition and care of cast iron cookware. Also has some great original recipes.

Available on Amazon for cheap and it was written, printed, and published in the USA by Americans.
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Here is a very good reference on cast iron: Cast Iron Cuisine from Breakfast to Dessert. It has some great info on the acquisition and care of cast iron cookware. Also has some great original recipes.

Available on Amazon for cheap and it was written, printed, and published in the USA by Americans.
Here where?

The book: Cast Iron Cuisine... is available at Amazon and other book sources. It is a worthy addition to any cookbook library.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

The book: Cast Iron Cuisine... is available at Amazon and other book sources. It is a worthy addition to any cookbook library.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Oh, sorry. You did give the title, didn't you? I thought that was your summary of what the book covered. I should have noticed the caps.
Originally Posted by Armen

Lodge cast iron is made in China, now?

Sheeze, it seems like nothing is sacred these days.

When Case knives start being made over there, we'll know the "end is near".

No, Lodge is made in the USA, except for the enameled cast iron. Basically if it's black it's made in the USA.

There are two grades of enameled cast iron from Lodge, both made in China. Most of the department store enameled cast iron is also made in China.
Originally Posted by acesandeights

no different eh? ohhhhhhhhhhhh K.

Yes, most of the department store and "signature" series enameled cast iron is made in China, just like Lodge's enameled cast iron. Lodge offers two "grades" of enameled cast iron (has different layers of enamel). All of their non-enameled cast iron is made in the USA.
Posted By: Qtip Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/27/09
Wifey has a Lodge cast iron stew pot that was preseasoned and it's great. We also have a very large Lodge two-handed pan but I am going to have to finish the surface as it is very rough.
Have quite a few Griswald's that were my Mom's and grandfather's and they are great.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Have a cast iron tortilla warmer form Australia. Snagged it at the flea market. Of course not sure if that was the intended purpose of the piece, round, no sides, just a very small rise along the edges.
I probably shouldn't say this, but I always thought those were for pancakes... laugh
Posted By: Armen Re: Cabelas cast iron cookware. - 12/27/09
Thanks Acesandeights. I should have continued reading through the entire thread before responding. I see now where you had clarified this earlier.

Glad to know Lodge hasn't sold out, at least on their "black" ironware.

Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I probably shouldn't say this, but I always thought those were for pancakes... laugh

Well I too suspected there weren't many tortillas being heated down under.
© 24hourcampfire