Home
I know most of you folks are from places where teens and twenties are a norm, but trust me when I say that seeing these colds temps in Georgia has put us in a deep freeze. We simply aren't used to it. Heck, it's so cold outside I hear the hookers in downtown Atlanta are charging 20 bucks just to blow on your hands!!!

I simply don't see how some of you guys handle temps below the teens for weeks and weeks on end...
It's was 13 at the house in NC this morning.

I don't mind it too much, I was raised in Michigan.

But time and age are working on me.....

Global warming my ass.
'Below teens'???? HAH.. Yesterday morning it was -22F.. This morning it warmed to -11F.. Gonna get close to +5 by noon..

laugh

I gotta get the tractor out and replenish the supply of wood on the porch.. Shouldn't take more'n an hour or so..
It's so cold here I got my water hose out and built an over pass made out of ice.

Puting up a toll booth today to make some extra cash.
Originally Posted by Redneck
'Below teens'???? HAH.. Yesterday morning it was -22F.. This morning it warmed to -11F.. Gonna get close to +5 by noon..

Serious question, do you guys have to use two batteries, glow plugs, block warmers to get vehicles and such to start???
You know, some years ago my dad bought some peach trees that came out of Georgia. First hard cold spell killed them, the bark literally cracked from ice. I wonder how the trees in Georgia orchards are getting on.

Of course I call a real cold spell when it's below zero. Y'all down there probably wouldn't even get out of bed when it's that cold. Just put the coffee pot next to the bed.

I've been told that tow truck drivers and garages down there love this weather. Towing people out, jumping cars, changing batteries and tires, they make a bundle
I haven't seen temps like this since I lived in Alaska. It's bad when I have to break the ice in my dogs bucket so he can drink it. I just checked the temp and it is 22 deg, with a windchill on 14 deg, not sure what it was a 4:30 this morning on my way to work. I just know that is was cold.
Originally Posted by RWE
It's was 13 at the house in NC this morning.

I don't mind it too much, I was raised in Michigan.

But time and age are working on me.....

Global warming my ass.

You know, when I was young I didn't understand why people got old and moved south. Heck, I would camp outside in January to deer hunt, a lean-to and a fire. I know now, at 50 years old, and I know it better every year.
-14 here this morning, windchill is -28, with the light winds it actually doesn't feel too bad. grin
In the teens and twenty's NeBassman and Redneck would be on the back porch with a beach towel and a cold beer.
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk

Serious question, do you guys have to use two batteries, glow plugs, block warmers to get vehicles and such to start???
Nah... Every November the oil's changed to 5-30.. Cars are in garages for the most part.. Wife's VW TDI starts well, even when it's been outside all day at work - but it's filled with a big-bux synthetic oil ($7.00/ltr).. I plug the tractor in for 4-5 hours before I start it up.. Most regular diesels do ok, but one has to learn to bury the throttle on some when extremely cold or they won't start.. Just have to back off as they catch so nothin' blows up..

Piece of cake.. laugh
Nice and warm here 20 degrees now with a forecast of 40. Snow starting Wednesday. tom
Originally Posted by crosshair
In the teens and twenty's NeBassman and Redneck would be on the back porch with a beach towel and a cold beer.
....and thinkin' of startin' the Harley... laugh

Nice thing about those temps is, the beer never gets warm.. Hehehehehe..
It is 22 and snowing right now and supposed to get around 11 for the low in a couple of days. Cold for here but not un-heard of. miles
Temps in the teens and twenties are not that cold once you get used to them.

I used to live in Manitoba where it got down below -40F fairly often. But is was a dry cold, eh? grin

Ever since, I have had a new perspective on what "cold" was...

Below -30F I did try to use my engine block heater whenever I could though (there were never any hookers around to suck start an engine when you needed them!). smile

John

Nice thing about those temps is, the beer never gets warm.. Hehehehehe..

Yep, that's one thing I love about January. Just set the beer box in the back of the truck and it's good to go. I'm not crazy about single digit temps, but I like it when we catch some "cold spells" down here, long as it doesn't bring an ice storm. We don't get a lot of them, so they really shut stuff down when the trees load up with ice and hit the power lines. What a mess.....
I bet Al Gore's heater is going full blast at his 6000 sq ft TN house. I like my woodstove.
I've lived all around all of the Great Lakes most of my life and have never been bothered by the cold. I've always found it easier to warm up than cool down. Once you have the clothing to stay warm and the equipment to deal with the snow and ice, it's not a hard life at all. Throw in a little more 'fun' equipment like stuff for ice fishing and a few snowmobiles, and winter passes by rather quickly.
I also think it's much more enjoyable to enjoy the long days of summer up here than down south; at least I'm not bound inside by the A/C or totally covered in sweat if outside.

I simply don't see how some of you guys handle temps below the teens for weeks and weeks on end...

Temps in the teens would be great. It was -19 when I woke up in Minneapolis, MN yesterday morning. laugh
on our upcoming camping trip, the forecast is calling for lows around 10* and highs around 35*.

"hat" weather, for sure... grin
28* this AM in Florida.
Global Warming?.........................
A lot of the vineyards in Grand Junction aren't expecting their vines to produce much this year. Vines will die back and they'll have to train them again.
It was -22 when I left the truck to hunt deer on Sat. Not sure what the windchill was?

ddj
born in SC. 8 generations in the upstate. moved to Miami at 18. lived in served a year w/ 3RDMARDIV in Oki, spent another few years in NC at Lejune.
Always kinda liked the warm climates, but im built for it.
you tall drinks of water are the ones that suffer. im built like a bulldog so i can conserve my warmth.
doesnt help much on the gas bill though.
dude, guys can't call eachother "tall drinks of water"

only chicks can do that.

Did you catch the gay from that John Mosses ?

grin

Our lows have ranged from -36 to a balmy -20 this morn over the long weekend.

No, most new vehicles start pretty good down to about -20 or so. Lots of cars/trucks/suv's come with, or we install a block heater. You plug it in at night, and it keeps your anti-freeze warm enough to start your truck with ease in the morning.
colder than a landlord's heart here this morning. 23F. Brrrrrr

This coming Friday, I am off to Douglas GA for a three day camping trip. Supposed to be down in the teens Fri and Sat nights.
Hope I don't freeze to death!!!
grin35* Whyinhell is it so warm there?? Been 6-8* with -10to -15 windchill. Sideways blowing snow is a PITA grin Gusts up to 50mph grin
yep got down to below freezing here to, Micky Mouse must be hateing the short pants this morning
32.5 here,........

it's a dry heat.

GTC
Feel bad for you fellas down south. Must be cold in those skirts especially with those shaved legs.
49* this morning...
Makes a man wonder where the heck is Al Gore and his threats of Global warning?

I guess in some parts of the country the word winter has always meant short sleeves and short pants. Has the word winter ever meant cold weather to anybody or don't you all care to read history?
It aint been too bad...with enough layers on grin I just wish there was s face mask with an electric nose warmer to keep da nose from runnin in the cold!!
Had 24 at our hunt camp near Perry, Fl. on Sun. am.
Paper said it was 18 this am
Glad I am home, balmy 33 here

All 4 vehicles have block heaters on them. 2 of my trucks have dual batteries. The diesel came that way. My 1996 F250 protested being started this morning and it was only -3�F.
For the first time in 5 years my pond in South Carolina is frozen over completely. It is certainly frigid cold here.

The fish ain't moving real fast!
We have warmed up from 34 this morning:

Right Now for
Punta Gorda, FL (33982)

Sunny
48�F
Feels Like
43�F
Updated Jan 4 10:45 a.m. ET
Dress in layers, cover your skin, wear a toque. You'll get used to it.
Originally Posted by grouseman

Wouldn't we then be susceptible to using the phrase "eh?" all the time, and develop a taste for LaBatts?
they don't know what a toque is hoser.

grin

It's been a crazy year for us along the coast in TX. In the last five years we have had one big snow storm 12" they said it was a snow of a lifetime along the Tx coast. A summer where the average high was like 85, but that was because it rained everyday during the summer. Last two years have been drought/record high's of 100+ no rain for several months. Now this winter we had 3" of snow and a colder then average winter. This Friday they are talking about high 35 low in the lower twenties. Texas weather is crazy!! Of course this is SouthWest of Houston along the coast. We are not use to winter snows/ice and such, but I like it.
Pics of my place a few weeks ago!! Some years I would only break out a jacket a couple times a year.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by grouseman

Wouldn't we then be susceptible to using the phrase "eh?" all the time, and develop a taste for LaBatts?

none of that is bad really.

grin

Originally Posted by northern_dave
they don't know what a toque is hoser.

grin

I think its time for a "Strange Brew"

ddj
damn it, now i want a laBatts....

take off, eh?
Ok, uh, we found this mouse in a bottle of Elsinore beer that we bought at your beer store, eh? And we heard that when that happens you get your beer free.

It's in the Canadian Criminal Code, eh. Like there's legal precedence set in cases in law, eh?

ahhh... breakfast of the northern champions...
Originally Posted by levrluvr

ahhh... breakfast of the northern champions...

Don't forget lutefisk.
Originally Posted by RWE
Don't forget lutefisk.

a Molson Brador or Labatts Extra Stock will give you a morning shiver as well.....
It's been snowing here for the last 2 hours.
Assawomen Bay behind Ocean City, Md is frozen all the way accross. The Chesapeake bay has not frozen since the cold winter of 77'..likely to this year when the wind stops blowing.

Doc
Originally Posted by tzone

Temps in the teens would be great. It was -19 when I woke up in Minneapolis, MN yesterday morning. laugh
Thought you weren't going to be in this neighborhood 'til the 15th...
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Assawomen Bay behind Ocean City, Md is frozen all the way accross. The Chesapeake bay has not frozen since the cold winter of 77'..likely to this year when the wind stops blowing.

Doc

The whole Chesapeake Bay froze up in 77? WOW! That took a lot to make that happen. Can't begin to imagine how cold that must have been. You best get on over to M.R. Ducks and warm up with a little toddy!!!
I know most of you folks are from places where teens and twenties are a norm, but trust me when I say that seeing these colds temps in Georgia has put us in a deep freeze. We simply aren't used to it. Heck, it's so cold outside I hear the hookers in downtown Atlanta are charging 20 bucks just to blow on your hands!!!

After awhile you get used to it.It's -21 today but it don't feel that bad..
Labatt's, don't capitalize the B.
Colder here today than in Missoula, Montana!!!

Who woulda thunk it?

Mike
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore

Doc

The whole Chesapeake Bay froze up in 77? WOW! That took a lot to make that happen. Can't begin to imagine how cold that must have been. You best get on over to M.R. Ducks and warm up with a little toddy!!!

I was in WNY for the blizzard of '77...that was fun.

Ambients here, SW VA, below zero the last couple of nights.

Yeah it's cold, but the woodstove is hot.

Funny that the schools go on a 2 hour delay because it's cold.

Might get some snow tonight coming out of West Virginia......
Roy...heat stove or not, I am freezing my ass off.

You good folks have the winds down your way? We're on day 3.
low tonight is 27....just hauled in a bunch of plants, covered the ones too heavy or clumsy to move. inside of the house looks like a damn nursery.
They closed most upstate SC schools today. Sad part is some are using their ovens to stay warm. There have been 3 fires and a couple of deaths. Sad!
Been blowing wind too....purty good last night.

Not too bad today though....20 or 30 mph gusts.

Pards thunk me nuts out splitting a load of wood this morning.......
Can't say as I've ever been cold splitting wood. Keeps the wife happy when it's done too.
Originally Posted by NH K9
Can't say as I've ever been cold splitting wood. Keeps the wife happy when it's done too.

Warms ya two, sometimes three times....

Dad's got my "good" splitter still up in NY, but he puts up 26 or so pick up loads to get through a winter.

I'm slummin' it here a load at a time with a petunk...........
Been reading Amundsen's journey to the south pole over the holidays, and it's amazing how people can adapt to their conditions. With about 6 months to prepare and adapt to the climate, they often complained of near unbearable condtions when temps got above zero F. They were most comfortable on their treks at about 20 below.

Those were some tough people (Shackleton, Mawson, Scott, Amundsen, Peary, etc). Reading their exploits makes me feel like a complete wimp. Reindeer togs also seem to be the absolute best. Wish Cabelas would carry a line.
I'm slummin' it here a load at a time with a petunk...........

That's why I dig the outside wood boiler. Up to 36" and no splitting!
An outside boiler is in the "plans".....
When you get ready to buy remember that we have no sales tax in NH. There's a dealer one town over. I'll trailer it down for an excuse to hunt/visit.
Over Thanksgiving I listened to Endurance, the story of Shackleton's trans antarctic attempt. Made you cold just listening to it. Highly recommend it while ice fishing, will stop your whining.
K
Originally Posted by spiwonka
It's been a crazy year for us along the coast in TX. In the last five years we have had one big snow storm 12" they said it was a snow of a lifetime along the Tx coast. A summer where the average high was like 85, but that was because it rained everyday during the summer. Last two years have been drought/record high's of 100+ no rain for several months. Now this winter we had 3" of snow and a colder then average winter. This Friday they are talking about high 35 low in the lower twenties. Texas weather is crazy!! Of course this is SouthWest of Houston along the coast. We are not use to winter snows/ice and such, but I like it.
Pics of my place a few weeks ago!! Some years I would only break out a jacket a couple times a year.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Laffin'
Originally Posted by NH K9
When you get ready to buy remember that we have no sales tax in NH. There's a dealer one town over. I'll trailer it down for an excuse to hunt/visit.

Hell you don't need an excuse George, just show up anytime you want.

Was planning on shopping up north anyway as that sort of thing is not common goods here....sorta like snowshoes, snow blowers, pac boots, ect........
Cold here also. I think we got between 3/8 and 1/2" of snow last night....supposed to get down to 7 Thursday night too!
It's been pretty cold even here in northern Florida. Today it didn't get out of the forties. You could still spend time outside with short sleeves when the sun was high and shining bright, though. At night, it's been going down to below freezing last few days.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It's been pretty cold even here in northern Florida.

I went walking on the beach yesterday at Panama City, it was cold, and I do mean COLD !

It's 25 right now here where I am in Alabama, and from what I keep reading it is going to be just as cold over in Wales when I get there.

I thought the south was supposed to stay warm and sultry all the time ? confused

Lynn
Gonna be in the 20's at night all week and maybe teens Friday night. I'm playing ring toss with my nips....
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Gonna be in the 20's at night all week and maybe teens Friday night. I'm playing ring toss with my nips....

grin grin

Sorry, just pictured it, you, your yellow shirt flung open, a cold breeze passing over your frozen pointy pink nipples, OMG, I am one sick puppy....
I remember this certain little blond girl from Texas I met as a freshman at University. She came up to RI without so much as a Winter Coat! I bought her one down to her knees, which she looked like she was trying to hide every inch of her skin in. The great cultural experiment college is. I used to duck hunt on 40 below days out on the marsh with the snow coming down. These days, I try to stay in on the minus double digit days, but I saw 3 deer today! My buddy saw 8, including a spike, a six and an eight pointer. Layers, many layers. Under armor underwear, expedition weight polar fleece, Scent Shield pants and jacket, Gore-tex bibs, a big Gore-tex parka, balaclava, watch cap, gloves, hand muffler, expedition weight socks, and caribou boots, with hand warmer packets in the toes. And that's just to walk to the outhouse!
I've been planning on digging a little drainage ditch to drain some water off a hill here. Nothing major.

Later this week it shouldn't get above freezing for 3 days with lows in the low teens. I'm going to cheat and bust up the water with a pick and haul it down the hill in a wheelbarrow before it melts.
© 24hourcampfire