Home
Posted By: Monkey_Joe "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
I'm a big fan of having a day off and tinkering around outside - while enjoying a cold brew or two.

I have reached the conclusion that it is "TOO COLD" when you set your beer down for ten or twenty minutes of serious tinkering only to find it a slushy mess when you decide to have another sip.

I can dress for the cold, but how do you counter that?
Posted By: gotlost Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
try bourbon insted/no ice
Posted By: Pete E Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Buy a brand of beer that actually contains alcohol??? grin
Posted By: Whitebird Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Drink faster!
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
It's Too cold when you have to pee while hunting and can't find it.
Posted By: Monkey_Joe Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Bourbon and/or drinking faster would work.

Pete, it is so cold even my best home brews will freeze.

Posted By: Pete E Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Originally Posted by Joe788

Sorry to break it to you, but American beer does have a reputation for being like canoe sex: f**king close to water! grin

What you guys need is some Tactical Nuclear Penguin

Hell would freeze over before you got slush in that! grin
Posted By: Monkey_Joe Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Pete, I know a fair amount about better beers, having been a home brewer for quite a while.

No argument on the "canoe sex" thing, though one has to admit that it is certainly better than no sex at all...
Posted By: derby_dude Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Originally Posted by Pete E

Sorry to break it to you, but American beer does have a reputation for being like canoe sex: f**king close to water! grin

Now Pete the way Americans drink beer would you really want an American to go TACTICAL NUCLEAR? grin
Posted By: gmsemel Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
I like that Nanny State label. That fellow likes to stick his finger right in the Governments eye. To keep Beer from freezing in the cold, what you do is drink boiler makers. Just adjust you Bourbon or what ever you like in a ratio to meet the current temps. You may have go to 100 proof or better and 1/3 rd to 1/2 beer bourbon mix. Or you could just do what I do in the real cold Drink Icy cold Russian Vodka. Works just great, less filling and well a little pepper out of a pepper mill, makes it just nice for those Ice fishing days. Send a note to the Alpha Gore, we been able to go Ice fishing here in CT for since the New Year.
Posted By: JOG Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
I have reached the conclusion that it is "TOO COLD" when you set your beer down for ten or twenty minutes of serious tinkering only to find it a slushy mess when you decide to have another sip.

The other night I was hoping to grill a couple steaks - no dice. The propane tanks were too cold to off gas.
Posted By: T LEE Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
It is too cold when you need to wear more than a T-shirt & Jeans!
Posted By: NathanL Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Vokda, works for the Russians.
Posted By: Scott F Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Originally Posted by JOG

The other night I was hoping to grill a couple steaks - no dice. The propane tanks were too cold to off gas.

You have to learn to use real chunk charcoal. It is never too cold to grill with the real stuff and there is no comparison when it comes to flavor. It would have to be too cold for a kitchen match to light and I have yet to find it than cold. grin

Posted By: jpb Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Originally Posted by JOG

Same thing happened to me when I lived in Manitoba. Forty degrees below zero (-40 is same in F and C) -- I had the gas barbecue on my closed in porch (so no wind), but I finally had to give up. I don't think I could have toasted a marshmellow.

I had to broil the goose breast in my my oven...

John
Posted By: MColeman Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/10/10
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
It's Too cold when you have to pee while hunting and can't find it.

What if you can't find it in August? In January it looks like a stack of collar buttons. frown
Posted By: byc Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/11/10
TOO COLD ends Wednesday!!!

51 degrees forecasted in South Carolina----woooo hoooo!!
Posted By: eh76 Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/11/10
It is too cold when the wind freezes solid and doesn't blow.
Posted By: Pete E Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/11/10
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
It is too cold when the wind freezes solid and doesn't blow.

grin grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/11/10

Yeah but Pete.....you guys drink tea of all things! shocked And I think I can show you a beer or 2 that you would not equate to canoe sex! grin I have a friend who home brews and dang he makes some good stuff.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/11/10
"I had to broil the goose breast in my my oven...

John"

John, goose meat is sky carp. Not fit for freezing and certainly not fit for this man's consumption!

I did charcoal beef steaks some time back on New Year's Eve at -22f right here in Iowa. Me and my bride have done so for the last 44 years. It has never been "too cold"

TL
Posted By: Pete E Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/11/10
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

Yeah but Pete.....you guys drink tea of all things! shocked And I think I can show you a beer or 2 that you would not equate to canoe sex! grin I have a friend who home brews and dang he makes some good stuff.

Nothing wrong with tea, when is served boiling anyway! grin

Back in the 80's, the regiment I was in, the Royal Welch, celibrated 300 years of continious unbroken service with a series of parades at Powis Castle.

We had guest of honour and troops from affiliated Regiments from various parts of the world but the undoubted highlight was a Drill Display Team from the USMC.

I don't recall how many came over, but with the senior Officers, avarious hangers on, and the actual Drill Team, it must have been 30 or 40 Marines.

IIRC they were over for about 10 days, and had a great time. Most of the team were young Marines based at Arlington (sp?) and were lads of about 19, or 20, farm boys from the mid West. For most, this was the first time outside of the US, and they were still a little "green"..

First night they got off we took a bunch of them around the local pubs and got them well and truely hammered on the various Real Ales and micro brews...The next day, when he saw them, I gather their Gunny was far from happy with them or us! grin

I think they were pretty much grounded after that, until after the final parade when we had a Regimental dinner and they were our guests..I don't think they paid for a drink all evening and I think they thought they been caught up in a riot at one stage (mess rugby) but when the figured what was going on, they had the good spirits to enter a "team" and try to "lose" as well...Good bunch of guys and *very* talented at what they did..

Regards,

Peter

Posted By: Scott F Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10

Nothing wrong with tea, when is served boiling anyway! grin

I like a cup of tea in colder weather especially in the early afternoon. Had one today when I got home. It was real tea properly brewed in a real Brown Betty.

I gather their Gunny was far from happy with them or us! grin

Regards,

Peter

Upsetting the Gunny is what I lived for but then I was a sailor. grin
Posted By: ltppowell Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rob p Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10
It's been in single digits here in RI for a while now. The only good thing is it makes the snow light and powdery and easier to shovel. It is cold enough, however to render snow melt useless, unless you buy the little packing foam peanuts for $10 a bottle. Every day it doesn't snow and I don't have to go out and shovel is a good Winter day here.

I was too cold to hunt last week after about 4 hours in my stand. It was in the single digits and I had the wind blowing snow in my face. I had four deer milling around about 40 to 75 yards in front of me. I didn't want to climb down, but the cold air was hurting my nose. I was buried in layers, had a scent lock mask over my nose and a balaclava but my sinuses were aching. I had to go in. That doesn't happen too often. It's cold.
Posted By: JOG Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by JOG

You have to learn to use real chunk charcoal. It is never too cold to grill with the real stuff and there is no comparison when it comes to flavor. It would have to be too cold for a kitchen match to light and I have yet to find it than cold. grin

You mean...like...real fire? How uncivilized.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10

I've never had a beer sit still that long.
Posted By: eh76 Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10
The electricity was sluggish in the lines this morning. It took a while for the lights to turn on......
Posted By: northern_dave Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10
20 above zero when i left home this morning.

shoulda went fishing instead of work.
Posted By: bucktail Re: "Too Cold" Defined - 01/12/10
Originally Posted by northern_dave

shoulda went fishing instead of work.

Words to live by...
© 24hourcampfire